I-75 BBQ????

Author
aimala66
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 100
2003/10/01 10:17:05 (permalink)

I-75 BBQ????

hi all:
i'm from michigan, which means that when i drive down south to georgia or flordia, i'm on i-75 the entire way.

i've found a few dining gems along the way, but i have never, ever encountered great BBQ!

does anybody know of decent BBQ off of I-75? those chains like buddy's are terrible -the pulled pork tastes like cotton balls soaked in Q sauce. what i'm looking for some family-owned, melting plates of pork, red beveled plastic tumblers filled with sweet tea, brunswick stew style eatery. preferably with some sort of pig statute or neon piggy sign out front.... you guys know what i'm talking about or you wouldn't be interested in the BBQ thread to begin with.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated...and i don't care if it's 15-20 miles off the interstate....getting off that tired route would be appreciated, actually.

thanks-amy

23 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/01 10:28:59 (permalink)
    The only places(chain) I can think off right off hand, which you probably already know about is "Sonny's" while I think their pork is really tasty, their beef is on the dry side to me. They've just recently introduced the pulled pork and I've yet to try it. My husband on the other hand thinks it's the greatest thing since slice bread. Bono's yet another chain has chopped meat although according to my nephew who works at one says you can request the meat sliced(can you tell that's the way I prefer mine???) As for family owned, if you come as far as Gainesville, you get off at Newberry Rd, go 10 - 12 miles to Newberry, and hit Newberry Backyard B-B-Que. IF I think of anything more palatable, I'll check back in!
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/01 11:18:41 (permalink)
    Here's a few. BBQ Street (formerly Bells) is off I-75 at Wade Green Rd exit 273. Williamson Bros. is off exit 263 on Roswell Rd. Harold's BBQ is about 2 miles off I-75 @ University exit in S. Atlanta. A long time classic. OB's BBQ is in McDonough right on I-75 S. ( exit 221, I think, look for signs) of Atlanta. Fresh Air BBQ is in Jackson about 8 mi. from I-75 (exit 212). These are all oldie but goodie roadfood BBQ places - been there forever. South of that you're on your own until you get to FL.
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/01 12:51:55 (permalink)
    The Big Pig Jig is in Vienna just off I-75 and is an annual event for barbecue lovers. This year it takes place October 23 to 25, 2003.

Here is a link describing the Big Pig Jig:
    http://www.cordeledispatch.com/articles/2003/04/27/news/n.bigpigjig4:2f27.txt
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/27 17:09:57 (permalink)
    billy's bar-b-cue
    lexington, ky
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/27 20:44:54 (permalink)
    aimala66,
    The high points have already been hit, but I can add a couple more. Fincher's BBQ in Macon, Georgia is worth a quick exit. One location, strikes me, is right off I-75 on Forsyth Street. Another is on Gray Highway, NE of downtown. You can find more online by surfing them out.
    Up U. S. 129 from Macon is Old Clinton BBQ in the tiny flyspeck town of Clinton, Georgia... before you get to Gray. I've never been there, but praise of it is universal from my second-handers.
    There are a couple more good local places thereabouts, including one on Pio Nono Avenue in Macon, but I haven't tried any of those.
    The best I've found in Atlanta so far is Spiced Right BBQ in Lilburn. It's on U. S. 29, cattywampus from the Goodwill Store, back on the Tucker (western) side of the center of town.
    I've been told about a place in Smyrna - Ranch House, maybe - off Pat Mell Road, which attaches to Windy Hill Road in Cobb County. I know I posted something about it elsewhere on this website. If you dig around, you'll run across it. I think it's at some address like 601 Burbank Circle, Smyrna... maybe three miles off I-75.
    Happy hunting. I've got my mind on records at the moment, or I'd be able to give addresses better.
    Spinning Tattered 45s While The Shoulders Slow-Cook, Ort. Carlton in Pit-eously Pitless Athens, Georgia.
    Tom-Fl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/29 09:02:31 (permalink)
    Lexington,Ky also has Mark's Feed Store.
    It is a small chain of six from Middletown,Ky.

Also,be sure to try their buttermilk pie.

It isn't bbq,but London ,Ky has Weaver's Poolroom and Restaurant.

It has been a southern Ky tradition for chili dogs,fries,etc. for 50 years.

That is where you will find all the sports,hunting,fishing,and politics being discussed.

Tom
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/10/29 10:08:05 (permalink)
    Try Calhoun's Barbeque in Knoxville, TN. There are three locations, and I'm not sure which one would be closest to your route. For the location at 400 Neyland Drive, the tel. number is 865-637-1780.
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/11/02 14:12:14 (permalink)
    mark's is ok
    the high point is a beguiling "mustard bbq sauce"
    it is unique, to my knowlege........
    very tasty
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/11/02 15:04:35 (permalink)
    Maurices Flying Pig in Colunmbia SC Has a sweet yellow BBQ Sauce , They Have a Web Site And shi
    quote:
    Originally posted by paul and louise

mark's is ok
    very tasty
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2003/12/31 04:45:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

aimala66,
    The high points have already been hit, but I can add a couple more. Fincher's BBQ in Macon, Georgia is worth a quick exit. One location, strikes me, is right off I-75 on Forsyth Street. Another is on Gray Highway, NE of downtown. You can find more online by surfing them out.
    Up U. S. 129 from Macon is Old Clinton BBQ in the tiny flyspeck town of Clinton, Georgia... before you get to Gray. I've never been there, but praise of it is universal from my second-handers.
    There are a couple more good local places thereabouts, including one on Pio Nono Avenue in Macon, but I haven't tried any of those.
    The best I've found in Atlanta so far is Spiced Right BBQ in Lilburn. It's on U. S. 29, cattywampus from the Goodwill Store, back on the Tucker (western) side of the center of town.
    I've been told about a place in Smyrna - Ranch House, maybe - off Pat Mell Road, which attaches to Windy Hill Road in Cobb County. I know I posted something about it elsewhere on this website. If you dig around, you'll run across it. I think it's at some address like 601 Burbank Circle, Smyrna... maybe three miles off I-75.
    Happy hunting. I've got my mind on records at the moment, or I'd be able to give addresses better.
    Spinning Tattered 45s While The Shoulders Slow-Cook, Ort. Carlton in Pit-eously Pitless Athens, Georgia.
    Ort., I'm glad to hear you praise Spiced Right Barbecue in Lilburn. I read a nice review about them around 4 years ago, and have wanted to visit ever since. Have you visited Harold's for their que and Brunswick stew. If not, you absolutely have to make that pilgrimage some day when you're in Atlanta. Go in the daytime for lunch. Harold's is a bit hard to find without a city map.
    neonjohn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/01/29 00:20:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by aimala66

hi all:
    i'm from michigan, which means that when i drive down south to georgia or flordia, i'm on i-75 the entire way.

i've found a few dining gems along the way, but i have never, ever encountered great BBQ!

does anybody know of decent BBQ off of I-75? those chains like buddy's are terrible -the pulled pork tastes like cotton balls soaked in Q sauce. what i'm looking for some family-owned, melting plates of pork, red beveled plastic tumblers filled with sweet tea, brunswick stew style eatery. preferably with some sort of pig statute or neon piggy sign out front.... you guys know what i'm talking about or you wouldn't be interested in the BBQ thread to begin with.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated...and i don't care if it's 15-20 miles off the interstate....getting off that tired route would be appreciated, actually.

thanks-amy

This reply may be a little late but...

You should stop by my place, John G's BBQ on your next trip. Located in downtown Cleveland, TN, about 3 miles off I-75 at the 20 mile marker north of Chattanooga. Little hole-in-the-wall place. Old fashioned open pit. Shoulders only. Everything homemade. Yadayadayada.... I make neon signs as a hobby so there's plenty of neon in the place too. Phone is 423 479-7885. Open tues-Sat.

Get off at exit 30 and turn east. Go to the Blue Springs Road exit. Take a right. Road splits into one-way and becomes Ocoee St. Just past the first light on the left. RV/truck parking on the right.

John
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/01/29 01:05:45 (permalink)
    I know of no authentic or worthy barbeque pork anywhere along the I 75 corridor in Kentucky.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/02/02 15:29:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by paul and louise

mark's is ok
    very tasty

Mark's Feed Store in Lexington closed several months ago. I just double-checked and the building is sitting empty. A Famous Dave's barbecue restaurant opened last Spring on Richmond Road, in front of Lexington Mall.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/02/02 15:36:33 (permalink)
    This reply may be a little late but...

You should stop by my place, John G's BBQ on your next trip. Located in downtown Cleveland, TN, about 3 miles off I-75 at the 20 mile marker north of Chattanooga. Little hole-in-the-wall place. Old fashioned open pit. Shoulders only. Everything homemade. Yadayadayada.... I make neon signs as a hobby so there's plenty of neon in the place too. Phone is 423 479-7885. Open tues-Sat.

Get off at exit 30 and turn east. Go to the Blue Springs Road exit. Take a right. Road splits into one-way and becomes Ocoee St. Just past the first light on the left. RV/truck parking on the right.

John

I notice that this BBQ is featured on the home page of roadfood.com

It appears like it was written by the owner. Obviously he would not be bias. I say it appears like the owner cause he indicated in his post that he had an interest in Neon and the review was signed NeonJohn.

Cleveland TN is just down the road from Knoxville and I believe I will drive down to give a more unbias review.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/02/20 22:49:16 (permalink)
    The previous reference to Smyrna - Ranch House - maybe off Pat Mell Road needs correction. The restaurant is Old South Barbeque. Take the Windy Hill Road exit (last exit north of I-285 or first exit north of I-285, depending on direction of travel). It is in a converted house on the corner of Burbank Circle - about two blocks past the Smyrna Post Office - on the left side of the street. Also worth noting is the best beef brisket in the Atlanta area at Champ's Barbeque. Champ's is two blocks beyond Old South. From Old South, continue west to South Cobb Drive (major intersection), turn right. Champ's is one block north, on the left side of the street. Try the blackberry cobbler, too.
    Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/03/02 23:27:53 (permalink)
    For those in a hurry going through Central Georgia, This Little Piggy Barbecue in Forsyth is very convenient from I-75. A barbecue pork plate includes Brunswick stew, slaw, potato chips and bread. In January 2004, this plate cost $5.50 plus $.99 for the drink.

This Little Piggy Barbecue
    866 Indian Springs Rd.
    Forsyth, GA 31029
    (478) 994-0618 Closed on Sunday

It is a small town barbecue joint with inside seating as well as tables on an outside deck. The folks who own it are friendly. It just north of the city limits of Forsyth, so it’s located where there is almost no traffic to contend with. There are a few other items on the menu like pork chops and chicken.

The food is decent, but it’s not a “destination” type of place where you would drive many miles to get there to eat. But for I-75 travelers in a hurry, it’s a good place to stop. The Brunswick stew is thin, more like soup than stew. But it tastes ok.

However, it’s located where you probably wouldn’t find it unless you know how to get there. So here are the directions:

Get off of I-75 at Exit 188:

Northbound traffic – at end of exit ramp, go west back under interstate to stop sign, then right at stop sign, go 6/10 mile (north) and turn left to go over railroad tracks. Then turn left (south) for 4/10 mile.

Southbound traffic - right at end of exit ramp, go 6/10 mile (north) and turn left to go over railroad tracks. Then turn left (south) for 4/10 mile.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/03/03 04:45:00 (permalink)
    Thank you, Ashley, for the terrific report (and excellent photo) on This Little Piggy Bar-B-Q. I thought you and others might be amused by what The Peach State Glove Box Guide to Bar-B-Que (c 1997) says about them:

"This Little Piggy went to the market, bought some prime meat, smoked it, served it with an old-fashioned mustard-based sauce, added a few delicious sides, and made a lot of people live happily ever after (or at least until the next mealtime)."

The address you provide is different from the one in the book, which means they've moved or ownership has changed since '97.

I like knowing the folks there are friendly types. Thanks to your review, I would visit This Little Piggy.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/03/03 04:52:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rbpalmer

Try Calhoun's Barbeque in Knoxville, TN. There are three locations, and I'm not sure which one would be closest to your route. For the location at 400 Neyland Drive, the tel. number is 865-637-1780.

Ditto on Calhoun's. I've been to two Calhoun's locations, but most enjoy Calhoun's on the River, where I've had wonderful baby back ribs several times. Everyone I know who has dined there loves the place. I believe Sundancer took Bushie there for a repast last summer. Calhoun's doesn't disappoint and the service is excellent and very friendly.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/04/13 16:21:34 (permalink)

In Georgia try JLs Barbeque in Macon at the US 80 exit (Eisenhower Parkway). It's rather like a Sonny's and in fact was once a Sonny's.

Also don't let BBQ snobs steer you away from Sonny's--it may be a chain, but it does great Q.

The Old Clinton Barbeque is not on I-75, but well worth a side trip to Gray GA. Their pork is finely chopped and the sauce is vinegar based. They claim to have the best barbeque in Georgia and I don't argue with them. I'd alwayd pack a cooler to take home a pound or two when I was going their way.
    jpino
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/05/26 16:02:29 (permalink)
    This place was mentioned in an earlier post, but it deserves a review. About 30 miles south of Atlanta in McDonough, GA is a place called OB's BBQ. It is just off I-75 at exit 218. If you are travelling south on I-75, turn left off the exit and go across the bridge to the 1st traffic light and turn right. OB's is about 1/4 mile on the right. They have a large pit out back, so all the meat is fresh and cooked on the premises. My favorite dish is called the Awesome Potato - it's a one-pound baked potato, topped with pulled pork BBQ and cheddar cheese. The Brunswick stew is my husband's favorite. They have also opened another location in one of the outlet malls along I-75. Eat in or take out.

We literally time our Florida trips so we can eat at OB's on the way. Check it out the next time you're passing through.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/07/17 15:00:40 (permalink)
    On my last business trip to Knoxville, the vendor took me to a great BBQ place downtown for ribs. The restaurant was a bit nicer looking than the average BBQ joint, was larger, and had a good view of the river. It was near the university because I could see the football stadium from my table. The guy I was with said that this was a popular place with locals and it did have a very busy lunch crowd. I can't remember the name of the place though. For dinner I had BBQ at a place called Corkys. This was not near the quality of the first restaurant.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/07/19 15:35:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

On my last business trip to Knoxville, the vendor took me to a great BBQ place downtown for ribs. The restaurant was a bit nicer looking than the average BBQ joint, was larger, and had a good view of the river. It was near the university because I could see the football stadium from my table. The guy I was with said that this was a popular place with locals and it did have a very busy lunch crowd. I can't remember the name of the place though. For dinner I had BBQ at a place called Corkys. This was not near the quality of the first restaurant.

That would be Calhoun's. They won the best BBQ in the USA in Cleveland Ohio about 20 years ago and they have been making money off it ever since. I took Bushie there last year and I think he enjoyed it. Their BBQ is a little bit on the high side of above average although their total menu is excellent. Their setting is superb.

the Sundancer lives about 9 miles downstream from there and you can believe my boat is there on a frequent basis. Bushie posted a pic of it at that same location about a year ago.

Their BBQ sauce they sell is excellent.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    synman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: I-75 BBQ???? 2004/08/02 09:21:42 (permalink)
    I just had a yummy pork sandwich at Scrugg's in Knoxville. Run-down convenience store kinda place, but the bun was griddled, the pork smoky and the hot sauce had
    a nice zing to it. And there's anothe Q place on the other side of the street, a couple of blocks closer to town.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1