The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weekend

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weekend Fri, 08/30/13 3:12 PM (permalink)
I'm going to go go ahead and just paste this in (I wrote it, so I think it's OK). I had a chance to do an interview with the winners of the World Food Championship Chili Cook Off and winners of the International Chili Society's People's Choice Award in 2012. I'll be going to the Queen Mary on Sunday for plenty of chili and beer----I hope I run into a few Roadfooder's there

On the Road Chili team gets ready for Queen Mary's Delicious Chili and Brew Fest

On the Road Chili, the team that won the 2012 World Open Chili championship, is getting ready for the Queen Mary's Delicious Chili and Brew Fest in Long Beach on Sunday, September 1. The other day, I had a chance to talk to Clark McGee, of On the Road Chili, about chili, championships, competition and much more. Clark resides just over the mountains from Orange County, in neighboring Riverside County. at the other end of State Highway 74. 

“Chili is such a fun food. Most people like it”, Clark began. “Chili cook offs are such a social setting. We harass each other, do shooters together and visit in the morning and them we compete”. He feels good about the competitors he will be cooking against. “There are going to be the best chili cooks from the West Coast at the Queen Mary. If you can get auto-qualified at this cook off, it makes it much easier to plan for the World Championship. I expect a great turnout at the Queen Mary. It's a great location and a holiday weekend. I'm excited!”.

The public is a big part of the chili cook off scene, according to Clark. “I get a kick out of handing out chili. When someone says 'I don't care for chili but this is the best I've ever tasted', I'm really happy”. 
In fact, at the International Chili Society's Championship, Clark won the People's Choice Award two years in a row. It is a team effort, however, for Clark. “Our team, On the Road Chili, each specializes in a different area. Ken and I do the People's Choice, while Chuck specializes in red and green chili. Chuck started red and green first. Last year, all three of us qualified for green chili”.  He continued, “We have a colorful booth. We call ourselves the 'Three Amigos' and have colorful shirts. We love to interact with people at the booth”.

Last year, the On the Road chili team did twenty-one cook offs, including two in Nevada and one in Arizona. “A typical day at a cook off is 12 hours”, Clark said. “We had an unbelievable year; a heck of a run, culminating in winning the World Food Championship last year in Las Vegas. We took the Open Chili Championship. We wound up winning it all in the open chili category against the best chili cooks in the world. It was like a dream!”.He added, “It was quite an experience to go to the WFC. It was great to compete against the best of the best”. Last October, they traveled to Charleston, West Virginia, to compete in the International Chili Society Cook Off Championship. In Charleston, they won the People's Choice Award. 

Clark started in chili as an ICS judge for 2 ½ years and then decided it was time to compete. Interestingly enough, for the competition, they only cook a quart of chili for the judging. For people's Choice, the quantity cooked is a few gallons to allow the public their tastes. Clark uses an interesting choice of meat for his chili. “I like tri tip for the chili. It tastes great and it does not break down during the long cooking. Other meats break down after three hours, but not tri tip. Also, the tri tip really soaks up the chili flavor”. As an ICS sanctioned event, the rules are very specific as to the chili for judging. “It is just meat, spices and sauce. In green chili, it has to be either chicken or pork. In ICS, the timing also has to be exact when you present your chili for the blind judging”. In other competitions, there is also a category for freestyle chili. That can include anything, such as pasta, corn or carrots. For People's Choice, On the Road Chili usually includes beans, which are not allowed in the ICS Chili judging.

At home, Clark makes his chili following his basic recipe for his People's Choice chili but adds a bit more into it. As far as beans go, Clark said, “I grew up eating beans in chili and that's the way I like it. We cook competition red without beans because that is the rule. For other chili, beans and peppers cut the richness and soak up the flavors”. Clark's favorite chili category is the green chili, or chili verde. Other then that, he likes the homestyle category. “It's much more expensive to do, but the people love it”, he said. He also likes the idea of the “hat trick” in chili competitions. “Salsa is done in competitions too. Lots of people do the hat trick, green red and salsa”. 

As far as the Brew Fest part of the Queen Mary's Delicious Chili and Brew Fest, Clark is all for it. “I think chili and beer go together. You can't get any better then that!”, he said. With the Brew Fest part of the event, everyone will have a chance to try many different beers, most brewed by local breweries. Clark summed up his thoughts on chili cook offs by this statement. “We still enjoy it and when I get a thumbs up it's great. I really love it when a kid says, 'mom, I love it'. That's great!” 

The Inaugural Delicious Chili and Brewfest will take place at the Queen Mary Waterfront Events Park on Sunday, September 1 from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. General admission starts at just $10, with special VIP passes for a special experience available for $39 that includes early admission, a souvenir mug, five tasting tickets and a VIP lounge. Tasting tickets are $2 and can be purchased in quantity. Information for tickets can be found on the Delicious Chili and Brewfest page of the Queen Mary's website. 

Delicious Chili and Brew Fest

Queen Mary Waterfront Events Park

1126 Queens Highway
Long Beach, CA 90802

Information: (877) 342-0738

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
    Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 3:31 PM (permalink)
    What a great way to spend part of your Labor Day weekend!  Have fun!

Sundancer7

Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 5:33 PM (permalink)
      Great pics, venue and sounds like a super time.  No beans for me but peoples choice rules.  What a great setting.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6253
        Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 5:45 PM (permalink)
        Paul
        I'll take your beans.  Just scoop 'em onto my chili.....because YES I like beans!

Sundancer7

Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 6:00 PM (permalink)
          Lisa:  No beans use to be my motto but as I have aged, I occasionally ingest green beans but not in any quantity.  You can have all my beans though.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
            Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 6:07 PM (permalink)
            I hope you don't put green beans in Chili, Paul...

Sundancer7

Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 6:36 PM (permalink)
              1bbqboy

I hope you don't put green beans in Chili, Paul...

If I made chili, which I sometimes do, I do not use any kind of beans.  I guess that is Texas style.  I have no particular style or recipe for chili.  I like it slightly salty, meaty, less tomatoes and more hot chile's.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                Re:ICS Sanctioned Chili Cook Off at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA this Labor Day weeken Fri, 08/30/13 11:19 PM (permalink)
                Sounds like you do like a bowl of red, Paul. That's the way they do it!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com