IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30?

Author
Stirfryking
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2012/02/29 01:45:37 (permalink)

IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30?

Hello All, My 1995 Grumman Olson P30 came "wired for sound" elec/plumb. I bought her used. Formerly a taquieria truck w mexican treats.
Well before It was presented to me all of the equipmt. EXCEPT FOR fridge, sinks etc.. were removed ( he says there was a  break in. Then after getting to work on her, I realized that I dont know where the electrical home is. Hot water heater is running straight wired from battery and everything else from genrator chord hanging off rear. I also learned today that the business (service window)side bulkhead has to have its own rigged extention chord to power just that side. Whats up with that?
My electrical guy (knows zilch about fd trucks/ HD) said I'm fine without a breaKER BOX. iSNT ONE REQUIRED or am I in for HD rejection????

15 Replies Related Threads

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/02/29 05:06:59 (permalink)
    HD doesn't have anything to say about it.Now the state electrical inspector might,and I would.The electrical guy can wire it up just like reg. house,just make sure you have GFI on all outlets but the fridge.
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/02/29 22:19:32 (permalink)
    Thank yu for the feedback. Going back in tommorow w/ new electr. guy willing to get to work. Also want to say that the build threads here are awesome and on time. As I grow in the biz and experience I will be sure to return the favor(s).
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/02/29 22:54:41 (permalink)
    No one can answer this with out having a complete list of all the electric equipment that your going to be running.

But in general nobody in their right mind would build a food service truck with out a 4 wire breaker box, and complete 4 wire system. It just isn't done.

Best advice is get yourself another electrician one that knows what he is doing, with this sort of build. The guy you have isn't very sharp or your just not asking the correct questions or both.
    And that can end up costing you a ton of money in the end, when you can't get approval to open.
    jack
    mofood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/01 09:44:51 (permalink)
    I agree with Dr. I can't imagine having even very basic equipment without at least a small breaker box. It is not very hard to set up, and, will pay dividends in maintenance and trouble shooting. You have to know what you have, and where it's going to do any field trouble shooting.

Safety is another issue here. If you're not careful with your electrical, you could turn the whole truck hot! I mean electrically charged! I mean, you touch the truck, and you get shocked!
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/01 14:36:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. The electrician I just hired IS the new guy. He's journeyman but young/inexperienced but open. My question's HAVE been wrong as I was confused about a starting point. This thread along with my research has been instrumental.
    I've been in touch w/ a Raliegh, N.C. truck owner who'se also been advising me. Yesterday I bought a generac 7550 to power my 35lb IMPERIAL fryer, 36" Combo grill. Also have a stand up fridge, 48" hood +fan and looking for a single dr. sand. prep table. Since my roof is low/ summer is coming I bought 7Kwatt genset b/c I'm looking for A/C unit. My hot water heater (30glln tank) runs from a "rigged" wire direct from battery.
    I called HD inspector this morning, he could only advise me about decibel level for Gen. and placement. Im also going to fab. a steel bracket and weld to front bumper. Also checking out a "car muffler" to suppress noise. However, he (HD) could'nt comment on electrical. So I will most likely go w/ best suggestion, 4 wire Breaker box sounds good to me. Will I have a seperate electrical inspection as well?
    For the record as well as  being formally trained sous chef, I spent couple yrs. in U.S. NAVY as an aircraft Mech. Also worked as mech. for Northop aircraft in the 90's. So I'm not  TOTALLY tool illiterate. In fact as I recall I trust myself when it comes to structure/ mechanical work...Electrical however I'm (DUH??) shooting blanks. So guys, have some patience w/ me I'll come around. Until then thanx for the input.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/01 18:02:36 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I understand correctly did you buy two generators or just one? If you use two I'd think you need two different boxes. I wouldn't know how you'd hook two generators to a single box. But maybe Edwnmax or someone else here on RF may be able to help.

Now if you only have one generator and your going to run 35lb IMPERIAL fryer, 36" Combo grill, stand up fridge, 48" hood +fan,sand. prep table and a AC unit your in trouble if they are all electric appliances. Just kidding but you may need a monster generator.

Keep in mind they will all cycle on and off and use the max power when the kick on. So do some research online using the model number or get the watts per item, off of the manufactures label on the back of each piece of equipment. Add them all up then find the link here on RF for converting watts to amps. That's when you'll know if your generator is big enough. Or what your going to pull total. But if your going to use a generator and never hook up to shore power it's going to cost a ton of money to run your rig. You'll be shocked at your fuel bills especially with today's prices. And if your going to use some shore power and some generator you'll need a box with a switch  to go back and forth.

LOL Lots to think about and research huh?
    jack
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1991
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/01 20:45:22 (permalink)
    Stirfryking

Thanks for the input. The electrician I just hired IS the new guy. He's journeyman but young/inexperienced but open. My question's HAVE been wrong as I was confused about a starting point. This thread along with my research has been instrumental.
    I've been in touch w/ a Raliegh, N.C. truck owner who'se also been advising me. Yesterday I bought a generac 7550 to power my 35lb IMPERIAL fryer, 36" Combo grill.
                                       Are these gas or electric?

Also have a stand up fridge, 48" hood +fan and looking for a single dr. sand. prep table. Since my roof is low/
                                                  What type of fan?

summer is coming I bought 7Kwatt genset b/c I'm looking for A/C unit. My hot water heater (30glln tank) runs from a "rigged" wire direct from battery.                                                                         Where is this?

I called HD inspector this morning, he could only advise me about decibel level for Gen. and placement. Im also going to fab. a steel bracket and weld to front bumper. Also checking out a "car muffler" to suppress noise. However, he (HD) could'nt comment on electrical. So I will most likely go w/ best suggestion, 4 wire Breaker box sounds good to me. Will I have a seperate electrical inspection as well?
    For the record as well as  being formally trained sous chef, I spent couple yrs. in U.S. NAVY as an aircraft Mech. Also worked as mech. for Northop aircraft in the 90's. So I'm not  TOTALLY tool illiterate. In fact as I recall I trust myself when it comes to structure/ mechanical work...Electrical however I'm (DUH??) shooting blanks. So guys, have some patience w/ me I'll come around. Until then thanx for the input.

Where is your battery compartment? There should have been a breaker box and 12v system there.
    Was this a pro built taco truck or home built?
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/03 15:17:19 (permalink)
    Sorry All Dr. BBq/chefbuba and thanx mofood; Evidentally I havent made myself clear enuf to recieve the best help. So bare w/ me smtimes my fingers dont keep up w/ my brain.

I have1 generator (generac 7550=7KWatts). ALL of my equip is GAS except for obvious fridge etc... The harder I look into the sheetmetal work the more it bcomes apparent that the truck was low end custom or very good home build. But it's tight you know? Enough for A layman NOT to know just what is Pro vs. Joe? Which is why I am so puzzled. Electrical work is lacking. ChefBuba asked about a Battery COMPARTMENT? There's the battery under the hood (which has a [Joe rigged] ""hot"wire running  to waterpump/ heater) which caused me pose the question in the first place about if I'm supposed to have ADDITIONAL battery or compartment for it and lighting? Exterior lights (3 spots on roof and 1 above svc. window run only when generator is hooked up, as well as the power to both bulkheads. They are independant and require extn chords for power.  Wish I could post pics would be very helpful. I will try by next post.
    Well until I get answers I'm going to start sanding for primer. And shop for generator muffler.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1991
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/03 17:49:29 (permalink)
    Get some pics up asap so we know exactly what
    your talking about.
    Vic Cardenas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/03 23:50:19 (permalink)
    Use photobucket to get pics up before your post count is 30
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/04 16:40:41 (permalink)
    ok, will try that now
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/04 18:01:45 (permalink)
    Try to post truck pic

post edited by Stirfryking - 2012/03/04 19:07:43
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/04 18:43:11 (permalink)

OKAY, I think this might help/ my truck is in next thread! 
    1)4 sinks & plumbling and hot water heater, tank#1(grey water) NOTE: the yellow wire runs direct from battery to pump
    2)gfi outlet is on driverside bulkhead positioned between water both tanks ( pvc is sink plumbing)
    3)motor floor mounted between both wtr tanks. Red BLK wiring is for motor hot/ground (?)
    4)Crazy yellow wire again runs from battery up frm floor, through sink area to hole in the sink counter wall to ?
    I know that yellow power's wtr pump when truck is running. Rest of truck, extrr. lighting / outlets run off generator.
    post edited by Stirfryking - 2012/03/04 19:17:27
    Stirfryking
    Junior Burger
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/04 19:10:24 (permalink)

post edited by Stirfryking - 2012/03/04 19:15:25
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:IS Breaker Box Mandatory in a P30? 2012/03/10 11:37:28 (permalink)
    i wish i could enlarge the pics. cant see chit, mon!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1