IS MEATLOAF DEAD ?????

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1794
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/04 16:27:25 (permalink)
RubyRose

Porkbeaks,, they're roasted potatoes that I bake at the same time and temp as the meat loaf. They're peeled, halved if big ones, and sliced about a half inch from the bottom in a diamond pattern. (I put a chopstick on either side so it stops the knife from going all the way through.). Put in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoned salt and garlic powder. The outside gets sort of crispy and the inside is soft.

Unpeel them, flip them over, put them in a serving spoon to keep the knife from going through ......and they are called Hasselback Potatoes.  I love them!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/04 16:58:05 (permalink)
RubyRose
Porkbeaks,, they're roasted potatoes that I bake at the same time and temp as the meat loaf. They're peeled, halved if big ones, and sliced about a half inch from the bottom in a diamond pattern. (I put a chopstick on either side so it stops the knife from going all the way through.). Put in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoned salt and garlic powder. The outside gets sort of crispy and the inside is soft.

Now THAT'S a Clever Idea!! Looks nicer than just plopping a baked potato on a plate. Gonna try it tomorrow for Sunday dinner!
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/04 20:11:01 (permalink)
Foodbme

RubyRose

Now THAT'S a Clever Idea!! Looks nicer than just plopping a baked potato on a plate. Gonna try it tomorrow for Sunday dinner!

Thanks Ruby! Very different and I'm gonna try it, too.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/04 22:55:27 (permalink)
Had meatloaf friday at a barbecue place here in Portland. Most excellent.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2535
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/05 11:28:08 (permalink)
Looks like Foodbme and I live in a different world. I'm happy to see that America's Moms are still at home cooking homemade meals, fresh bread and rolls and melt in your mouth desserts. I bet she is also hanging her clothes outside, cleaning the house, walking downtown to shop and waiting for the kids to get home to help them with their homework. I wonder if the kids hurry home to see America Bandstand. Maybe they are just happy playing hopscotch until Dad gets home for dinner so they could tell him all about their day............
   I wish things were like that in my town, I see both parents working to have a better life then they had when they were kids. We all want more for our families, the price we paid for that life is Mom had to go to work. All the people I know that have kids, both parents work. In todays world a single parent works two jobs. Everyone I  talk to, tells me they want the best for their family. They think the "best is" a home outside the city, in a gated safe area, with a big yard so the kids could play.  I drive around these areas sometimes, I see nice lawns and beautiful landscapes. The only thing I don't see is people playing with their kids in the yards. All the parents are working, the kids are in after school programs, Day care, or whatever, the dream house is empty................I have to run, leave it to Beaver must be on my TV someplace..............

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/05 11:37:03 (permalink)
My comment to my husband last year on the 4th of July was" where are all the people in their yards? Where are all the kids, playing?" Meatloaf is alive and well in my house, by the way. I feed it to my great niece and nephew. Funny, they think it is special as their parents don't make it.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3650
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/05 11:44:46 (permalink)
Sarcasm and hyperbole aside, pnwchef is basically describing where I live. The cost of daycare has made it impractical for both parents to work (one friend figured out that after paying taxes, daycare and gas for her car, she was making less than $10 per week at her job, so she quit). It's definitely not a 1950's-era idyll, but there are always kids playing outside in yards, often with their parents either participating or doing yardwork nearby.

And yes, we do hang our clothes outside to dry, weather permitting. It's cheaper, and leaves them smelling fantastic.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7376
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/05 13:54:55 (permalink)
We have kids playing all around us, great neighbors so in this part of Ohio, meatloaf is not dead.  In Rochester, PA my parents and I had the best neighbors.  I also had fantastic ones in South Boston..........kids with chalk on the sidewalks, riding bikes, going to the beach.  Folks would sit outside on their porches and talk.  I guess I was just lucky.  No daycare, no sitters, my Mother and Father took care of everything.  Including the meatloaf.
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/06 18:06:42 (permalink)
I absolutely love meatloaf, and it's not dead. The Travel Channel even did a "Meatloaf Paradise" show a while back. Any time I go to a diner, it's either meatloaf, Salisbury steak or chicken fried steak (If I'm lucky). My only pet peeve is no ketchup on meatloaf. Gravy and a bit of A1 sauce for me. I'm going to have to keep trying to make it, but I wonder how it would be cooked in a smoker. I think I know what's for dinner this weekend :-)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5233
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/06 18:19:58 (permalink)
gostillerz

My only pet peeve is no ketchup on meatloaf. Gravy and a bit of A1 sauce for me.
A brown beef gravy or an Italian tomato sauce gravy?
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/06 21:26:01 (permalink)
Beef gravy all the way.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8695
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/07 06:59:30 (permalink)
My hope in neighborhoods, as I grew up in, was renewed this winter.About once a week, young boys knocked on our door and asked if they could shovel our property-we accepted as Bob is compromised; most didn't want money, but we paid them anyway. These same young guys are now asking if we need our lawn mowed-let me be clear that our property is not unkempt-I just think  these kids( and parents) have a great sense of neighborhood, once again.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/08 12:12:45 (permalink)
Has society changed,yes. There are some stay at home moms still,but not like when I was growing up.Everyone one is in a rush and can't seem to find time to cook together maybe much less eat together. I do make meat loaf on occasion. Since there is just me,I will make a small loaf,and some meatballs for spaghetti and meatballs for another day. Out of my loaf I get a couple of slices for my dinner, and a couple of slices for the next day for a sandwich or two.
I'll have to try the potatoes. In momma's old Better Homes and Garden cookbook they do something similar,cut the potatoes are cut criss cross style.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/08 20:04:43 (permalink)
fishtaco

If Meatloaf is dead, then who is going to sing the male lead on Paradise By the Dashboard Lights?

I was waiting for someone to make that comment.

YOU GOTTA STOP RIGHT NOW.... Before you go an    oops sorry thought this was the open auditions for meatloaf's replacement.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
Re:IS MEATLOAF DEAD ????? 2013/05/08 20:15:49 (permalink)
Meatloaf as in "leave it to beaver" is fairly rare around here.  We are a bedroom community for Cincinnati, and most younger people with families have too much to do at work or the kids have too much to do extracirricular soccer, baseball football etc.

There are still a few families I know that have a "leave it to beaver" dinner, but they are few and getting fewer.  Even in the older adults in the community they are going to watch the grandkids soccer etc and the meatloaf dinner is Frisch's or Bob Evans after the game or event.

I think it depends on the area you live in as to the answer "is meatloaf dead".  There are pockets all around that meatloaf lives, and then there are too many places that meatloaf is truly dead.

Now on to the subject of meatloaf.  My mom always made wonderful meatloaf, i miss it dearly.  She would never use the same recipe twice, always a handful of this and some of that.  Some came out thick and hard as bricks, others like a loose meat.  I do miss her meatloaf.

When making I ALWAYS make 5 to 10 lbs, I love leftover meatloaf sandwichs and rewarmed meatloaf with mashed taters.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1