ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa

Author
Barbarainnc
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
2009/12/19 17:18:02 (permalink)

ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa

I like the salsa that isn't chunky. The kind thats mild, saucy and liquidity. Anybody have the recipe!!!

16 Replies Related Threads

badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/19 20:25:03 (permalink)
    Sorry.I like mine chunky and spicy.Try Mexican recipes in google search.
    lone nut
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/19 22:59:13 (permalink)
    I've never tried making salsa from scratch, but here in Los Angeles, there are many dirt cheap salsas that are close to what I'm used to in Dallas: Thin, red, runny, and hot. I just bought a quart of a really good one (I forget the name) for 99 cents. One I can usually find here is a brand called El Pato. A small can is about 69 cents. These brands are WAY cheaper than La Victoria, Old El Paso, etc, and WAY better in my view. I just head for grocery stores where I'm the only white guy in the place. Trader Joe's has a pretty decent "Salsa Authentica", but of course it's more $ than I like to cough up. These might be more heat than you like, but there are plenty of milder green products out there, too. Here are the ingredients on the El Pato "Salsa de Jalapeno": Tomato Puree, Water, Chiles, Onions, Garlic, Salt and Spices. If you can't find it in NC, I could maybe mail you a small can to try out.

scottlindgren@ymail.com
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 02:10:07 (permalink)
    If you're thinking about the type that the restaurants like Chili's serves, it's nothing like a pico de gallo type salsa w/ fresh vegetables and cilantro. These soupy concoctions found in fern bars are usually some sort of combination of #10 cans of diced tomatos w/ chiles, Finely chopped spanish onion,bottled lime juice, powdered cumin, and some grill salt.  
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 05:50:46 (permalink)
    Pico Pica

Lindseyup67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 06:25:19 (permalink)
    Our local restaurant, the Border Grill, serves a salsa that has NO chunks whatsoever in it. It is yellow in color, runny, and spiced perfectly (NO cilantro!) It is delish!! Anyone know what the secret ingredients might be?
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 08:54:15 (permalink)
    Try Herdez Casera salsa - it's the closest to restaurant-style that I have found. There are three styles of Herdez salsa, but the Casera is the one to try first.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 10:11:52 (permalink)
    There is a Chi-Chi's that is pretty close to that (considering that it's bottled); I think it's Chi-Chi's Original Recipe. Not bad, really.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 16:56:25 (permalink)
    2 medium to large white onions chopped in 1/4 inch dice
    3 Firm large Tomatoes diced
    2 Medium Jalapenos seeded deveined and diced fine
    2 cloeves garlic minced
    1 Large fist full of Cilantro rolled up and chopped up
    Juice of 1 medium lime
    splash of vinegar
    Minced Serano Chilis to taste
    salt and pepper to taste to taste
    Serve immediatly

If you salt the mixture and refrigerate it will cause alot of liquid. I like to add a squirt of ketchup and mix it up. This will thicken the liquid and make it a little sweeter. Adjust heat higher with Diced Serano Chilis with the seeds. You can also take a can of corn drained well (squeeze the lid down and remove all the liquid or let it drain for a while in colinder and pat dry with paper towells)and char it in a little oil in a cast iron skillet until it burns a little and starts popping in the pan. Then add it to the salsa. The corn will also add sweetness.
    If you want a wetter salsa add some canned all purpose ground tomatoes like 6 in 1 from Escalon.com or pulse half the mixture in a blender a few times. Salsa is only as good as the Tomatoes you start with and you can't add too much Cilantro. Dont use Yellow or Vidallia onions. Be carefull with Salt. If you plan on serving it later refrigerate it and add the Salt just before serving...Russ
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 21:01:10 (permalink)
    I think you are talking about hot sauce, not salsa?
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/20 21:42:23 (permalink)
    salsa and pico are two very different sauces- salsa is generally cooked and pico ( which is chunky) is raw. I personally like pico better than most cooked salsas. Mainly because you don't have to cook it, and is ready in a hurry.  I even make my guac with smashed avacado and my own pico- delish!
    Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/27 18:00:39 (permalink)
    This what I made today: Use a food mill to process a large can of diced tomatoes. This prevents the pink looking sauce a Magic Bullet produces by whipping in air. Then I use the Magic Bullet to chop up some garlic, 1/2 of an onion, and 1/2 of a serrano pepper to a mush. Add this to the tomatoes and add some salt. It made about 5 cups of salsa.  It tasted very good like the restaurant kind!!!!!

Or just put all of the ingredients in a food processor and give it a whirl, I think letting the salsa sit in the refrigerator helps with the pink color.   :) :) :) :)
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/27 20:38:15 (permalink)
    You're pretty close to the fernbar type salsas. Using diced tomatoes with chiles or use the canned or bottled diced jalapenos with plain,canned diced tomatoes for a closer recipe. Only other thing they add is the lime juice and cumin. Cilantro isn't too popular with many regions of the country, nor is a noticable amount of garlic, so you probably won't find either in the chain offerings. Few pulses with the above combined in a regular food processor should get you the same texture.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/29 08:09:42 (permalink)
    tcrouzer

Try Herdez Casera salsa - it's the closest to restaurant-style that I have found. There are three styles of Herdez salsa, but the Casera is the one to try first.

I'll second that.  It's a pretty decent bottled sauce that is liquidy.  Their chipolte is a good adjunct to marinades/glazes if you want to add in some smokiness.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1035
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/30 13:40:11 (permalink)
    Barbarainnc

This what I made today: Use a food mill to process a large can of diced tomatoes. This prevents the pink looking sauce a Magic Bullet produces by whipping in air. Then I use the Magic Bullet to chop up some garlic, 1/2 of an onion, and 1/2 of a serrano pepper to a mush. Add this to the tomatoes and add some salt. It made about 5 cups of salsa.  It tasted very good like the restaurant kind!!!!!

Or just put all of the ingredients in a food processor and give it a whirl, I think letting the salsa sit in the refrigerator helps with the pink color.   :) :) :) :)

That's kind of how I do it, but I use jalapeno, and also add dried oregano, fresh cilantro, and a little fresh lime juice. I'll generally make a bowl of pico to go along with it.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2009/12/30 14:28:00 (permalink)
    mland520

salsa and pico are two very different sauces- salsa is generally cooked and pico ( which is chunky) is raw. I personally like pico better than most cooked salsas. Mainly because you don't have to cook it, and is ready in a hurry.  I even make my guac with smashed avacado and my own pico- delish!

They may cook salsa in Texas or in Texas Mexican restaurants, but at least in my experience, true Mexican restaurant salsa is not cooked. 

Our Scoutmaster still has family in Guadalajara, Mexico, and when he was younger and lived at home, the family ran a Mexican restaurant there, where he worked.  Roberto makes his own salsa, using his mother's recipe, from fresh tomatoes (in summer, they are ones that he grows in his garden), onions, jalapenos and spices.  It is relatively thin, much thinner than most bottled salsas (with a somewhat watery pureed consistency), and never ever cooked.  He keeps it refrigerated at all times.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:ISO: Authentic Mexican Restaurant Salsa 2010/01/07 10:04:46 (permalink)
    WarToad

tcrouzer

I'll second that.  It's a pretty decent bottled sauce that is liquidy.  Their chipolte is a good adjunct to marinades/glazes if you want to add in some smokiness.

I'll third that. I almost exclusively buy Herdez, now.

I heard about Herdez for the first time right here on roadfood. I'll have to look up who it was who talked about it.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1