ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem

Author
suzroberts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2009/07/02 11:39:08 (permalink)

ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem

I am looking for restaurants that serve fresh, made from scratch, homemade interesting food. It is always helpful if the restaurant is family owned, not a chain or franchise, has been around for a while and has some character!

Send me your recommendations PLEASE!!!

12 Replies Related Threads

southpaw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/02 13:42:13 (permalink)
    Stamey's in Greensboro fits your description. They serve Lexington-style North Caroilna BBQ.

A family owned business since the 1930's.

Oh yeah, it's pretty darn good too.

Welcome to ROADFOOD.
    suzroberts
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/02 16:59:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recommendation - unfortunately - there are multiple Stameys in the area. I am trying to go places that are stand alone restaurants. 

Any other thoughts? 
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/02 18:37:49 (permalink)
    suzroberts, is your route to North Carolina going to take you through or near Mount Airy? It's about thirty miles or so northwest of Winston-Salem ( near the VA/NC line. ) If so, I recommend the Olympia Restaurant, on Linville Rd., for a delicious southern breakfast; their country ham is excellent. And of course you can't visit the "real Mayberry" ( Mount Airy is Andy Griffith's home town ) without sampling the famed pork chop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch on Main Street.     
    post edited by nocarolina - 2009/07/02 18:40:07
    mhill95
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/02 20:19:49 (permalink)
    Stamey's is about as local and down home as
    they come. Real good Carolina Cue.
    Unless they have expanded , I beleive they have
    only 2 Locations.

Mike
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/02 20:29:22 (permalink)
    Down town Winston-Salem has many family owned choices. 4th st has a good Mediterranean place called Mooney's. The Kafta,Tawook and Tabouli are very good. They are at the corner of Liberty and 4th. Foothills brewery makes a ever changing selection of beer on premises,, the food is very good. Murphy's Lunch is a traditional meat and 2side place. Very easy on the wallet, and quite tasty.. always a line out the door. M-F lunch only. Bibbs is a new smoke house, they use hickory only and serve Pork ,Beef,Chicken,and Links. 4th st has alot of options. If you want Breakfast anytime ,and great daily specials Omega House on Peters Creek Pky W-S is the way to go. I-40 has exit for Peters Creek.. very easy to find. For Sushi, Stratford Rd, Thru-way shopping center Ichiban is the place. All made in front of you and the udon is quite tasty.. Not pricey.. I would and have paid more for lesser quality. For fried seafood Capt Toms in Kernersville on Hwy 66 is the place. TU-FRI 11am-9pm Sat-Sun 4pm-9pm. Family owned the lunch specials are amazing, they have a good oyster bar also. In Greensboro McCouls Public House has real Irish fare, made fresh daily they are down town in what the locals call "hamburger square" They do have a web site. You can sit on the patio "charming,but a bit hot", down stairs,"quiet and smoke free" upstairs"little louder" upstairs patio"much louder" They grind there meat daily and everything is made to order, I have never had anything but great food and service and I do go there alot. Hope you enjoy the area.
    TacoDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/04 04:28:51 (permalink)
    On the same road as Stamey's BBQ is a drive-thru coffee shop called Java Joe's. If you're into caffeine, this is the place to go after a big plate of pulled pork.
    tcrouzer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/04 08:53:01 (permalink)
    For really good Italian, my sons and I like L'Italiano in High Point, Premier Drive just off 68 S. Wonderful soups, pasta, fish/seafood, pizza and a delicious creamy balsamic salad dressing. I've never been disappointed there. Original owner still cooking there, a charming man originally from Italy, of course.

Bert's Seafood Grille in Greensboro off Market Street is another family favorite. Wide variety of seafood and fish prepared many different ways. Best to make reservations. Voted Best Seafood for 21 consecutive years by a poll done by the G'boro News and Record. I love their Hot Crab Dip, Crab Cakes, and their coleslaw.

The Smith Street Diner in downtown on Battleground has good reviews for breakfast (served all day) but I have not been there.
    a61morris
    Junior Burger
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/04 23:50:26 (permalink)
    Just as Southpaw stated above, Stamey's fits what you said you were looking for.  To disregard the original restaurant on High Point Rd merely because they opened a satellite location across town would be a mistake.  To call Stamey's a a chain, while possibly true in the strictest sense of the word, is pretty laughable. 

Are you going to get the best barbecue in NC? Probably not. But you will get real wood-smoked authentic Lexington-style barbecue at a family owned joint with a ton of history and character.  And on any given day it can be more than just very tasty, and border on the sublime. 

If you want to increase your odds of experiencing a sublime Lexington-style BBQ meal, you could always ride 30 minutes or so down Business 85 to Lexington and go to Lexington #1 (Honey Monk's, Monk's BBQ).  Definitely family owned and divey, on any given day it can make you consider moving to Lexington.  It's generally regarded as one of the best BBQ spots in the state, and probably the best Lexington-style place. 

Back in Greensboro, I agree with tcrouzer, the Smith Street Diner gets raves, and is packed on the rare occasions I drive by.

For a 50s style diner-ish hamburger, hot dog place, you could try Fincastle's Diner downtown on Elm Street.  You may get lucky and be serenaded as your food is delivered.  Retro decor and music, above average burgers and things.

If your definition of interesting extends to Vietnamese or Thai, there are some solid choices around  Greensboro  too.

If you have time, please let us know where you end up and how it goes.

Dave
    Play27
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/07 10:52:19 (permalink)
    Unless you are a fan of any of the NC style's of BBQ (or what the NC folk call BBQ) you will be disappointed with both Stamey's and Lexington #1. In Greensboro, some places I'd suggest are Smith Street Diner, Fishbone (not the chain Bonefish), Tap room off of Battleground, Pollo, Pizza, Pasta on Hwy. 68 for their rotissierie chicken, for hot dogs-Yum-Yum's in Greeensboro, Bill and leah's in kernersville and the Dog House in High Point and finally for the best hamburger in the area-2 places to try...Oscar's in High Point (hard to find, dive but awesome burger) and Country BBQ (2 locations, one on Hwy 68 and one on Wendover.
    Uwharrie
    Junior Burger
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/07 15:39:40 (permalink)
    Not sure how much you are willing to drive but have to suggest Lefler's Place
    It is in the middle of nowhere but they have fantastic BBQ and Hamburgers
    6423 Nc Highway 73 W
    Mount Gilead, NC 27306
    910-439-5451
    3fan4evr
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/25 02:36:50 (permalink)
    Grecian Corner in W-S. Great souflaki in a hole in the wall resturant. Other menu items are delicious too.
    isabelle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:ISO Diners or Dives in the NC Triad Area - Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem 2009/07/25 11:40:35 (permalink)
    Man, I remember being in High Point in 1994 and marveling at the Krispy Kreme there--being a Chicagoan, I had never heard of it and marveled at the fabulous neon and bizaare donut-making machines. There was a time when I would have recommended that as a cool regional food. How things change . . .
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1