ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe?

Author
tlbartle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
2004/02/15 14:20:20 (permalink)

ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe?

Probably 30++++ years ago, in the Houston Post or the Houston Chronicle there was the recipe for Sakowitz Shrimp Salad they used to serve in their restaurant at the location across from the Galeria.
I seem to have lost it and have been craving this recipe for about 10 years, everytime I see shrimp salad on a menu. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me find it!!!

The one thing I remember about the recipe is it had cream of tartar and of course shrimp!

Thanks in advance :)
Thomas

11 Replies Related Threads

hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 07:01:58 (permalink)
    Thomas - I have several of the small cookbooks issued by the Chronicle and also several of the "Dining in Houston" cookbooks that featured restaurant favorites, and I'm not finding the Sakowitz dish (I never had it). Have you tried the Chronicle? Go to the Food section (under 'Lifestyle and Features') on http://www.houstonchronicle.com. I know they do a 'recipe quest' feature but I don't know how to submit a request.

I saw your post elsewhere also about the mustard at Nielsen's. I've loved that stuff for years, too. I think it might be what's called a champagne mustard. Here's a simple recipe I found on line:

http://www.ilhawaii.net/~danrubio/mustard/recipes/panriver.html

There are also prepared products. Another thought would be to look for Danish mustard, if there is such a thing. The Nielsen's are Danish (they originally served smorrebrod when they opened in '52 or '53, but Houstonians couldn't figure out what to do with them so they switched to American style sandwiches).

I hadn't heard about their possible closing. Last time I went to Nielsen's, I thought the sandwiches and the potato salad weren't as good as I remembered.

Good luck finding the recipes. I understand Gourmet or Epicurious tried for years to get the recipe for Nielsen's potato salad and they'd never give it up.

Also, have you tried any of the copy cat recipe sites? CDKitchen.com and TopSecretRecipes.com are a couple I think.

If you find the recipe for the mustard, please come back and post or e-mail it to me .

Thanks.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 08:20:40 (permalink)
    I found this on the internet:

SAKOWITZ SHRIMP SALAD

This frequently requested recipe is from Chronicle files from the former Sakowitz store.

1 1/2 pounds cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp

3/4 cup chopped celery

1 cup mayonnaise

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Salt to taste

Remoulade Sauce (recipe follows)

Lightly mix shrimp, celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt. Combine with Remoulade Sauce. Makes 6 servings.

REMOULADE SAUCE

1 hard-cooked egg

2 shallots, finely chopped

4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1/4 cup fresh cooked spinach, finely chopped and well drained

2 cups mayonnaise

1 tablespoon each: Worcestershire sauce, Creole mustard and fresh lemon juice

1/3 ounce anchovy paste

Dash of liquid hot red pepper sauce

Blend egg, shallots, garlic, spinach, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, mustard, lemon juice, anchovy paste and pepper sauce.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 10:43:37 (permalink)
    That salad sounds so good!

tlbartle - The Texas Monthly website has a recipe swap section where people post their requests for recipes. I was recently able to give the recipe for the Kings Inn tartar sauce to a poster who had been looking for it forever.

Some good recipes there.
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 18:37:12 (permalink)
    Thank You RubyRose!!! That's IT!!! I have gone through site after site looking & through a ton of old boxes in the attic without luck!!! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

Also, Thank You hermitt4d, tried to get the Neilsons sandwich spread by asking at CopyCat.com and nothing from them. Never thought about looking for Danish recipes. I will try the champagne mustard recipe and maybe try some tweeking, if I get it right then I'll let you know! Neilsons potato salad and chicken salad were great as well, let you know if I find something there. The last time I was there, I too was dissapointed, seems like it went downhill after Mrs Anderson wasn't there as much. The employees kinda had the sour people skills as did Mrs. Anderson's son that was helping run things? It's a shame, they definately have great products!

Thank You all again, this has been the most helpful board I have seen!!

The shrimp salad is definately worth making!!!

Thomas
    KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 19:12:33 (permalink)
    I'd like to make this salad, but would like some ideas on presentation. How was it served? On a bed of lettuce or what? Thanks for your help!
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 20:48:57 (permalink)

Mustards, primarily German & Scandinavian, can be found[url='http://www3.mailordercentral.com/mustardmuseum/products.asp?dept=28'] here[/url]. Or you can just do a site search. It's a neat place.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13496
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 20:59:57 (permalink)
    RickF: Great site. I never realized that mustard was such a broad subject.

Incidentally I will do the salad.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 22:07:09 (permalink)
    The salad was served on a big bed of lettuce and IS delicious!!

Will check out that mustard site, now I'm wanting to try different mustards! This site could get me in trouble!!! I'm going to gain back the 29 pounds I lost since last May!!!
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/17 23:32:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tlbartle

The salad was served on a big bed of lettuce and IS delicious!!

Will check out that mustard site, now I'm wanting to try different mustards! This site could get me in trouble!!! I'm going to gain back the 29 pounds I lost since last May!!!
    Not to worry: I found it!
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/18 06:44:22 (permalink)
    RubyRose - I am in awe - I googled on 'Sakowitz Shrimp Salad' and only came up with Thomas' posts on Texas Monthly and Roadfood. Where'd you find the recipe? (p.s. if you'll have to kill me after telling me, I pass).
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: ISO: Sakowitz Shrimp Salad Recipe? 2004/02/18 07:11:12 (permalink)
    When Google doesn't give an answer, I use Yahoo. Sometimes you get things on Yahoo searches that you don't get on Google.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1