ISO Steak n Shake Chili

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15183
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/12 04:35:16 (permalink)
Amy,
Thanks for contributing to the learning curve RE- SNS Chili variations, AND Welcome to the Roadfood Website.
PJ8= Reread Amy's post she answers some of your questions in her initial response,

I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into a Bean-No Bean fight !!! " />
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 00:09:53 (permalink)
Al,  Amy did clear up many things but, after re reading, I still could not find the answers to my 3 questions.

1. What's in a "bowl" of chili? Ok ok CHILI  but???

2. Chili mac portions of pasta, meat, and sauce differences from a 3/5 way? I do now know the "way" stuff has beans and the "mac" does not but I think ??? the "mac" has more pasta but not sure. Also not sure about the meat and sauce portions?

3. Fresh or canned for some of the stuff? Do they make it all fresh or???
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 00:43:43 (permalink)
mayor al

I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into a Bean-No Bean fight !!! " />

What's to fight about? If it has beans it's not chili. Simple. Easy to understand.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 01:05:04 (permalink)
Ok, no beans about it lets get back to tha pasta then. If there is 5oz's of it in a "3 way" then maybe there is 9oz's of pasta in a "chili mac". ??? Maybe there is the same amount of "chili beef" and "sauce" in both? Maybe not?
Joe
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2009
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 05:03:42 (permalink)
I've never worked there, but I've eaten at S-N-S a million times.  Here's what I can tell you from my observation:

Their chili with beans is a canned product,  but it's their own brand.  If you order a cup/bowl of chili, you get only the chili (although they dilute it with water to serve in the restaurant, but not sure of the ratio).   The special sauce mixture (ketchup, Worcestershire) is a garnish for the chili mac, but is not served if you simply order chili.  The chili beef topping is added to chili mac selections, but is not served with a cup/bowl of chili.  I haven't asked, but I believe the chili beef topping is made in-house.  

Also, on my last visit, they had their chili for sale in both cans and microwave cups.  Does this help some?  Amy, I hope you can chime in again and take it from here.

For canned chili it's really not bad at all, but I much prefer the Vietti brand, which is made in Nashville.  I think it's one of the best kept secrets of canned chili.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/14 07:16:30
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 12:51:54 (permalink)
Mellow, thanks! This does help. Some here may not agree w/ you but we will see.

Now some new questions though.

4. If you order a bowl w/ beans it comes from a can. Do they add beans or are they already in there?

5. If you order a bowl w/ no beans is that also from a can?

Makes sense that the "chili meat" is made in house as is the sauce.

So there is no "sauce" in a bowl of chili. It is only on the pasta dishes.

6. Is there any canned product on the pasta dishes?

7. Is there any "chili meat' in a "bowl" of chili? 
(my first 3 questions are back on P1.) .

This is all real confusing. No wonder they try to keep it a all a secret.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/14 12:55:58
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 13:50:27 (permalink)
1. What is in a "bowl" of chili? Does it have the "sauce"? Is it just "chili meat" and "sauce"?

Every time I've ordered the chili by itself or as a side, there was no “special sauce” or “chili beef.”  It was just a serving of their canned chili with beans (diluted with water), although the canned product does contain some beef – but not a lot!  

2. How are the portions of pasta, "chili meat", and "sauce" different in a "chili mac", "chili mac supreme", and a "chili 3 or 5 way".

I’m stumped on this one.  I’ll have to defer to Amy or an S-N-S employee.   However, I can tell you the servings aren’t as generous as a growing boy would like.

3. Does SnS make the "chili" or Chili meat" or "sauce fresh or do the start w/ a can and add to it?

The chili is canned.  The chili beef and special sauce, to the best of my knowledge, are made in the store.  

4. If you order a bowl w/ beans it comes from a can. Do they add beans or are they already in there?

The beans, to the dismay of most Texans, are already in the can.

5. If you order a bowl w/ no beans is that also from a can?

If you order a bowl with no beans, you’ll have to pick the beans out yourself!  It ain't served beanless.

6. Is there any canned product on the pasta dishes?

They use their canned chili for the pasta dishes, the same chili they sell by the cup/bowl.

7. Is there any "chili meat' in a "bowl" of chili? 

Their chili contains beef and beans already, but there is none of the “chili beef” topping that they add to the spaghetti dish.  However, I’m sure they’ll add anything for an extra charge.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/14 15:24:01
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 17:35:22 (permalink)
Mellow, you have cleared up allot of the mystery... thanks! There are still a few things left to discover though. We will need some help from the Steak N' shake pros I think.

But, who still has Chili Mac on their local SnS menu? My closest SnS in Rockwall Tx. still had it on the last time I was there.

Deductive reasoning does tell me that if Chili Mac has no beans then it can not have the canned chili w/ beans on that menu item. Chili Mac must just have the "chili meat" and "sauce" but no canned chili w/ beans. Maybe this item is for those who want the pasta w/ chili but who do not want any beans? I know a few folks around here who might order this now that we know it has no beans... Maybe???

Yall don't get me wrong, I liked the 3 Way I had at SnS... beans and all. I would not even be inquiring about all of this if I didn't like what I was served. It had a unique flavor that left me wanting more.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/14 17:41:33
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 18:00:22 (permalink)
I'm not sure where the term "chili mac" is coming from, but S-N-S serves a 3-way and a 5-way chili, which both of which includes their chili with beans over spaghetti.  They use the same chili with beans that's served as a side. 
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 18:09:12 (permalink)
OK, maybe this solves it.  Zack at my nearest S-N-S tells me that "Chili Mac" consists of chili beef and special sauce over spaghetti noodles, but with no chili.  That would account for no beans in the dish.  Since the 3-way and 5-way are served with chili, they do have beans. 

I feel like Bob Cummings in Dial M For Murder.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/14 18:11:21
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 19:48:36 (permalink)
Well, thanks again Mellow! Good to hear that the "chili mac" is served in your area. I am surprised that w/ the "bean" issue the "chili mac" is not still served everywhere. Maybe it is but just not on all menus? ( Q#8 )

Shoot... I wish you had asked if there was a larger volume of noodles served w/ the "mac". I am betting that there is. I think this, and where the "chili mac" is still served, are the only questions of mine remaining to be answered?

If we clear all this up I think we will be the first on the net to do so. Oh, unless someone comes up w/ more questions. :~)
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/14 19:59:00
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 20:04:22 (permalink)
Oh, Mellow... the Bob Cummings thing was over my head. But... is he also known to some folks as Robert?
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:29:20 (permalink)
Yes, the star of "The Bob Cummings Show" was known to some folks as Robert.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:35:48 (permalink)
Sooo was he the guy who got to tha bottom of things on Dial M For Murder?
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:47:14 (permalink)
Yes, pretty much, along with John Williams.

Now I'm in the mood for a thick chocolate shake at Steak 'n Shake.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4586
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:55:52 (permalink)

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 22:09:04 (permalink)
Well you sure did some great detictive work here Mellow!

There was one real old SnS thread I found here at Roadfood but nothing in recent years. Maybe we need a new thread to talk about the other stuff that is good there. I will sure try a chocolate shake next time I stop in.

I may need that shake to go after trying all the Chili Bowl, Chili Way, and Chili Mac dishes, with extra Chili Meat and Sauce on some things. Or maybe I'll drink the shake first and get to go boxes for the other stuff I can't finish? :~)
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 22:23:47 (permalink)
I started my post but my dog told me the cats were ready to eat so I missed Bill's post above.

That's a strange looking car you have Bill! Do you drive that to SnS for a shake? Oh, and I like those sandals!
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 22:30:44 (permalink)
You know, I really do not understand your seeming obsession with Steak and Shake's food. Their "chili" is lousy and so is the rest of their food. You're in Texas. You know chili. And that's why I can't understand your quest.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 01:08:16 (permalink)
Michael, obsession is a good word to use for me and chili I guess. I am obsessed with all types of chili.

The SnS chili sure isn't Texas chili, and it sure isn't Cincy chili even though it is sometimes served over pasta. SnS is kinda new here in Texas and I never tried SnS when I was in an area that had them. Many folks love the SnS chili so I decided to stop in at the one in Rockwall Texas and check it out.

That is when I became confused about the different kinds they served. I somehow decided on the 3 way and I liked it but it just needed more chili w/ the pasta. It had a different flavor than any chili I ever had.

I came back home and started looking around the net. Some folks liked the chili mac. Some liked the 3/5 way while others just liked it by the bowl. I figured I could quickly get the details on the different chili products SnS served. I quickly found out that this is a well kept secret. Now, thanks to this thread things are comming to lite.

Obsessed? Yes but with all types of regional chilis and lost chili recipes. The search for Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice recipe is what brought me to this forum. I was also in search of Benny Binion's Real Texas Chili recipe. I knew Jimmy and Benny and it just didn't seam right that their recipes should be lost to time. Then I kinda got to like the folks around here so I stuck around. Arn't yall glad. *&%#@

Anyway... I was cooking Tex Mex, back before it became the craze it is now, for El Chico and also an independant Tex Mex place. I soon decided that even though I loved cooking... doing it for a living was not for me.

I have been eating, and cooking, all kinds of Texas style chili since the early 70's. I later discovered that folks around the country also liked chili but iit was not the same kinda chili we had in Texas. I then became interested in the Regional chilis.

When did I became obsessed? I'm not so sure? Maybe I should seek therapy? Naaa, I'm to old to change now. :~)

Sorry for such a long answer Michael. :~)))
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 03:54:52 (permalink)
Bill Voss:
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 04:17:37 (permalink)
Why do you say the Chili Mac, 3-Way, 5-Way dishes are such secrets?  My S-N-S location was extremely happy to answer questions. 

Regarding S-N-S food, I have to tell you.  That is one chain that has a consistency problem from store to store.  There are some good locations and some really bad locations.   I personally like some of the menu itemss, but their portion sizes leave something to be desired and leave me hungry most of the time.  I can not say enough good things about their shakes, though.  They get a high-five from me on real shakes served in real glasses from real stainless beakers.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/15 11:08:32
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 10:57:10 (permalink)
I have to agree with MellowRoast - their milkshakes are terrific, orange cream most of all.

This is an amusing thread to follow.  I don't deny having a 3-way or a 5-way every once in a while myself, but every time that I do, I end up wishing that Skyline or Gold Star would move down here so I could have their take on it instead!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 11:08:44 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

Michael, obsession is a good word to use for me and chili I guess. I am obsessed with all types of chili.

Sorry for such a long answer Michael. :~)))
Joe

Hey, there's nothing really wrong with an obsession, but that Steak and Shake stuff is just plumb nasty.

By the way, there's no need for an apology. Your posts -- long or short -- are always interesting.

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4586
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 11:32:29 (permalink)
Wait a minute! Hoffman being NICE?
Who's been hacking his account?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 12:13:02 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman is always nice to nice people. It is with twits that he has little patience.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 12:50:34 (permalink)
Mellow, secret... even you, as a long time customer, had to dig to find ou some of this stuff. Most things about chain restaurants can be easialy researched on the net. Not SnS chili menu items. I searched and searched and still had all these questions. Few here knew that the "chili" came from a can and was not made fresh in house. Who would have known that a bowl of chili does not come w/ any "chili meat" or "sauce"? And we still don't know if a "chili mac" comes w/ a larger portion of pasta than a "3/5 way. And many thought that "chili mac" was no longer served. And.........

Oh, new question... when did SnS stop making their chili in house and start using and selling the canned stuff? I did notice some chatter on the net that, years ago, some folks noticed a change in the chili.

Portions, my 3 Way portion was fine except that it needed more chili w/ tha pasta. This may vary by location?

And Mellow... consistency, always a prob w/ multi location outfits. Maybe they are having more probs than should be expected? They should be striving to make everything the same at each location. Maybe they could hire you to travel around and help improve these issues? I'm serious!

HBS, glad you chimed in and thanks for the orange cream tip! I doubt that many Skyline or Gold Star fans would say they like SnS better. Hey, this aint Cincy Chili. It's SnS chili. The fact that you and Mellow have some now and then is something to be said for it.

Michael... thanks! SnS chili lousy / nasty? There may be a few folks who might not agree with you on this. Who said, back on P1., to think of this stuff more as of a sauce for pasta, rather than chili?

Bill, Michael was one of those who made me feel right at home when I was still a newbe here at Roadfood. Oh, you did to. But, not gonna tell us where you got those sandals???
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 13:10:43 (permalink)
You know, I'd really enjoy visiting restaurants to help improve quality control and consistency.  I guess I just haven't been discovered yet. 

To be honest,  I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't have to dig for the information.  I just relied on my experience as a customer.  However, I called the restaurant to inquire about the Chili Mac, which I don't think I've ever ordered.   

As for Skyline Chili, I'd definitely love to see an expansion into the South.  I'm stuck with their canned chili for now, which is good, but there's nothing quite like fresh.   
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 13:11:57 (permalink)
PapaJoe I do believe it was I who said one should think of it as a sauce.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 14:25:21 (permalink)
Ohh, that WAS you Michael. :~)  It kinda sounded like once you wrapped your brain around this stuff not being "chili" that maybe it is not so "everything falls into place" bad??? But... given the "bean" issue it is hard for me to wrap my brain around you even trying this stuff. Oh, unless you tried the (no bean) Chili Mac? But... that dish has no "chili" on it. It only has the "chili meat" and "sauce". Unless you got the "chili mac supreme" and that does has some other stuff... but still no "chili".

SnS chili stuff confusing? Naaa!

Mellow, I was serious about you and quality controll. Maybe give the head office a call and tell them they need you. And if they want a resumay... just tell them to read this thread.

Edit; Oh but Mellow... Don't be embarrassed. You had never ordered the "chili mac" so you had to call to find out about the chili-less mac. Oh, but it does have the "chili meat". And we still don't know if the "chili mac" comes w/ a larger portion of pasta or not.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/15 14:50:29
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1