ISO Steak n Shake Chili

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
2005/10/10 13:06:53
At one time I had a recipe for this chili. The diskette (I know its old school) I had it on went belly up and I lost this recipe and everything else I had on that disk.

The recipe I had called for a can of Coke and some chocolate.

If anyone has a recipe like this plese post it or email it to me.

Thank you very much!!!!
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2005/10/12 17:03:24
I really don't believe that combination would work. They would absolutely have to reveal chocolate on their canned product. This August I brought 12 more cans of the chili home from Illinois, a 2000 mile journey. Write them at their email address, and maybe they will ship you some.

This must be a childhood taste of yours, too, huh?
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2005/10/12 17:33:01
try this copycat recipe I got from googling....

http://www.recipezaar.com/27171

ten70man
Junior Burger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2005/10/12 20:00:05
quote:
Originally posted by stlouisguy

try this copycat recipe I got from googling....

http://www.recipezaar.com/27171

Thank you very much. From what I can remember this seems very close to what I had. I am going to try it this weekend!!!!
okc_rn
Junior Burger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2008/05/08 14:44:02
Steak and Shake has a very distinctive chili. It tastes just like one of the canned brands but I cannot recall which one. Anyone??
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2008/05/08 15:27:49
I order it from time to time when we eat there but I find it very bland. I usually end up adding quite a bit of the pepper sauce on the tables and that makes it tolerable.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2008/05/08 17:02:11
i remember it more oily and thin than what i have eaten at S&S in recent years. In St. Louis I passed an S&S everyday and ate ther eoften. I think they changed the recipe in the last 7yrs or so.
tusti
Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2008/05/29 14:07:55
At the Steak & Shake I go to (usually once a week) the chili can be either very thin like bean soup or thick and everything in between. I'm assuming each store makes its own chili because I've seen more consistancy in the chili at their other stores. If you want the recipe, look up S & S on the web.
I much prefer their canned chili. They usually sell it at their stores and some grocery stores around St, Louis sell it or you can order it from the factory over in Indiana.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2008/05/29 14:10:48
exactly. the stuff nowadays is pretty thick, but i grew up on the thinner recipe.
porkchopexpress
Double Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2009/02/03 21:35:25
I love their chili. I get a cup everytime we go which is very seldom
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2009/02/03 23:06:15
I agree. There's no way that I'm going to have my double-steakburger and fries without a cup of that good chili first.
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2009/02/04 01:28:50
tusti

At the Steak & Shake I go to (usually once a week) the chili can be either very thin like bean soup or thick and everything in between. I'm assuming each store makes its own chili because I've seen more consistancy in the chili at their other stores. If you want the recipe, look up S & S on the web.
I much prefer their canned chili. They usually sell it at their stores and some grocery stores around St, Louis sell it or you can order it from the factory over in Indiana.

Actually, Steak 'n Shake serves the same canned chili they sell for you to take home (but from larger cans).  Each restaurant dilutes it with a considerable amount of water, though, which is why it can be inconsistent from time to time. 

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 14:22:49
Old thread I know but rather than start a new one... I have questions.

I recently went to SnS and asked my server about the diff ways to order the chili, chili mac, chili sketty. He was new and didn't have a clue. I had a chat w/ the manager and he was a bit more helpful but I still left comfused. I finally just ordered the chili sketty. Hey, not bad I thought but there was not enough chili for me. I was left w/ a bowl of sketty. I think I should have ordered extra chili maybe? Or?

Anyone have tips on all the ways to order chili stuff at SnS?
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 14:29:16
PapaJoe8, think of the "chili" at Steak and Shake as a sauce for the spaghetti. When one is able to wrap one's brain around that idea then everything falls into place.
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 15:30:04
PapaJoe8

Old thread I know but rather than start a new one... I have questions.

I recently went to SnS and asked my server about the diff ways to order the chili, chili mac, chili sketty. He was new and didn't have a clue. I had a chat w/ the manager and he was a bit more helpful but I still left comfused. I finally just ordered the chili sketty. Hey, not bad I thought but there was not enough chili for me. I was left w/ a bowl of sketty. I think I should have ordered extra chili maybe? Or?

Anyone have tips on all the ways to order chili stuff at SnS?
Joe

Here are their "definitions" of chili on their website (just click on the various pictures):
http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/genuine-chili  Note on their descriptions of the "3-Way" and "5-Way" they say, "Double the chili beef on Chili 3(5)-Way for an additional cost."

Of course, living in central Illinois, the original home of Steak 'n Shake, I have no idea what Steak n' Shakes in Texas might be doing to their chili!  (Are they leaving out the beans?)

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 16:02:09
Michael, I approached it as a whole new kinda food. That did not help me end up w/ a bowl of noodles.  But, tha part I ate... I liked. I just felt like I did not order smartly.

6star, being in Texas did not stop them from using beans. Hey... it's not Texas Chili... it's SnS chili.

Wendy's does tha same thing. Try ordering Windy's Chili w/ no beans. Not even in Texas will that work.
Joe

Edit; 6star, thanks for that link! But, it's still comfusin to a Texas boy. I guess what I am asking is how yall think is the best way to order SnS chili.
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/08/29 16:07:24
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 16:32:35
Since I am not a raw onion person and can only handle a minimal amount of grease*, but like the shredded cheese, I usually order it "5-Way, double the meat, hold the onions, hold the grease".

*Note: Since their "special sauce" they list in the description is actually the grease from frying the chili meat (which is then very generously ladled back on to each order unless you tell them not to), I call it like it is, and never have a problem.  If you have no problem with grease, then ignore this part.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 16:47:37
6star, so they don't just open up large cans of the same canned chili they sell... and there is grease from the meat they cook?

And, I swear there was something called "chili mac" on the menu when I went.

Sauce, chili, meat,... I'm still comfused.
Joe
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 16:55:22
On one of his visits to KY RF member BUSHIE had me stop at a SnS near Frankfort KY to let him purchase a case of the chili 'over-the-counter' at the restaurant. He raved about the stuff until I gave in and  tried it. I found it to be quite good....but fairly expensive purchased that way.
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 18:11:05
PapaJoe8

6star, so they don't just open up large cans of the same canned chili they sell... and there is grease from the meat they cook?

And, I swear there was something called "chili mac" on the menu when I went.

Sauce, chili, meat,... I'm still comfused.
Joe

> As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "large can" of Steak 'n Shake chili (at least not around here).  Steak 'n Shake has been around since 1934, and their small (10 oz.) cans of chili have only been around in grocery stores for maybe 10 years or so.

> Of course there is grease.  They fry their "Steakburgers" from ground steak meat (I have no idea on the percent of fat in it, but it is supposed to be from T-bone, sirloin and strip steak) and their chili meat, as far as I know, is made from this same ground steak meat.  That is why the name is Steak 'n Shake, and their slogan is "In Sight It Must Be Right", since originally all their meat was ground out front, where the customers could watch them grind it.

> I have never seen "chili mac" on a menu or in an ad around here, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be on a menu in Texas.  I do know there are corporate restaurants and franchised restaurants, so it is possible you went to a franchised restaurant that had added chili mac to its menu for whatever reason (franchise owner personally likes chili mac, they got a good buy on macaroni, etc.). 

From your experience, it sounds like either your location is rather new (or under new management) or they haven't done a very good job of training their help.  Could the manager you talked to have been a "night manager"?  Sometimes "night managers" are nothing more than trustworthy regular help, and not really very well versed in the whole operation. 

I am sorry you had the confusion, but perhaps when you go back (and if chili mac is still on their menu) you could try it and let us know just what you get served.
post edited by 6star - 2010/08/29 18:12:33
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/29 18:38:37
The Chili Mac was just the spaghetti w/ a different sauce. There was no macaroni. This just added to my confusion.

I thought maybe my memory was playing tricks again but... I googled it, and SnS, and there is, or was, such a thing.
Joe

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/30 15:45:10
Ok, after a bit of searching around on the net this is getting weird.

The SnS web site has no mention of "chili mac"

Other sites w/ posted menus have chili mac, chili mac supreme, and jr. chili mac plates. There is also the "chili beef" and "special sauce". Then there are the 3 and 5 ways.

You can add chili meat to some things. Oh, and you can get a  a chili bowl or cup, and a chili deluxe.

Some things have onions, ceeese, and extra chilli meat. And... you can also get a chili deluxe w/ corn chips.

This is so confusing that the servers don't have a clue what the difference is between a chili mac and the other chili stuff.
Joe

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/30 17:53:23
If you do this google;

allmenus.com mchenry steak-n-shake

There is a menu that is like the one I remember from my Texas SnS visit. It has the "chili mac" listed in the section about chili, and w/ an earlier mention in the "kids menu" of a "jr. chili mac plate $1.99".
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/30 19:23:20
PapaJoe8

The Chili Mac was just the spaghetti w/ a different sauce. There was no macaroni. This just added to my confusion.

Joe

Spaghetti is macaroni.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/08/30 20:37:35
Michael, I'm sure you are right. I just think of macaroni as those noodles w/ a hole in tha middle. Like the kind that come w/ mac n cheese. Ok, maybe those are not noodles.

Anyway, SnS has chili, chili meat, sauce, 3 way, 5 way, and Chili Mac. Or, they once did. But, do not ask your server what the difference is between 3 way and chili mac!
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/09/05 15:59:19
I was kinda hoping someone who has worked at SnS would help clear this up. I am supprised that I could not find the detailes about the chili/pasta issue one the net. Maybe it's there and I couldnt find it?
Joe
Amy123
Junior Burger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/11 13:10:52
Good News - I used to work at Steak n Shake and I have answers for you.
There IS a chili mac at SNS.  It is spaghetti with meat and sauce.  I'll break down the "chili's" for you...
Chili Mac - spaghetti, chili meat (doesn't have beans), and special sauce (similar to ketchup)
Chili 3-Way - spaghetti, chili (with beans), and special sauce
Chili 5-Way - Spaghetti, chili (with beans), special sauce, shredded cheese, and diced onions
Chili Mac Supreme - chili mac (as described above) with cheese and onion
Of course, you can also get just a cup or bowl of chili (this has beans)... you can get it topped with shredded cheese, onions, or corn chips.
I personally love just a bowl of chili - the regular ol' chili.  I think they have the best chili ever.  I've searched for recipes and haven't found one even close, but you cannot go wrong with just a bowl of their chili.  Feel free to try some of the "pasta" dishes too.  They're very popular, but I'm not a fan of the special sauce.
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/11 13:52:57
Their special sauce recipe is no secret, by the way.  According to the label on the can, Steak ‘n Shake’s Chili Sauce is a 4:1 ratio of ketchup to Worcestershire sauce. Example: 

4 teaspoons ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

And I am a fan of the sauce!
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/11 14:27:27
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/11 13:53:20
I remember eating Chili Mac Supreme at s & s in Illinois probably Peoria,  in the distant past.
I remember because  that is the only time I've ever seen it on a menu and ordered it.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/11 17:24:35
Amy, thanks so much! And welcome to Roadfood. You might as well hang around and join in the fun. I bet some of us around here could come up w/a REAL close SnS Chili recipe.

I still have a few questions;

!. What is in a "bowl" of chili? Does it have the "sauce"? Is it just "chili meat" and "sauce"?

2. How are the portions of pasta, "chili meat", and "sauce" different in a "chili mac", "chili mac supreme", and a "chili 3 or 5 way".

3. Does SnS make the "chili" or Chili meat" or "sauce fresh or do the start w/ a can and add to it?

What I think is strange is that I could not find these answers by looking around on the net. It's kinda like a secret thing. By reading between the lines I do think that a "chili mac" comes w/ more pasta than a "chili way".

The "chili mac" appears not to be available everywhere. From looking at some old menus on the net I think it was served at many SnS locations in the past.
Joe

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/12 04:35:16
Amy,
Thanks for contributing to the learning curve RE- SNS Chili variations, AND Welcome to the Roadfood Website.
PJ8= Reread Amy's post she answers some of your questions in her initial response,

I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into a Bean-No Bean fight !!! " />
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 00:09:53
Al,  Amy did clear up many things but, after re reading, I still could not find the answers to my 3 questions.

1. What's in a "bowl" of chili? Ok ok CHILI  but???

2. Chili mac portions of pasta, meat, and sauce differences from a 3/5 way? I do now know the "way" stuff has beans and the "mac" does not but I think ??? the "mac" has more pasta but not sure. Also not sure about the meat and sauce portions?

3. Fresh or canned for some of the stuff? Do they make it all fresh or???
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 00:43:43
mayor al

I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into a Bean-No Bean fight !!! " />

What's to fight about? If it has beans it's not chili. Simple. Easy to understand.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 01:05:04
Ok, no beans about it lets get back to tha pasta then. If there is 5oz's of it in a "3 way" then maybe there is 9oz's of pasta in a "chili mac". ??? Maybe there is the same amount of "chili beef" and "sauce" in both? Maybe not?
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 05:03:42
I've never worked there, but I've eaten at S-N-S a million times.  Here's what I can tell you from my observation:

Their chili with beans is a canned product,  but it's their own brand.  If you order a cup/bowl of chili, you get only the chili (although they dilute it with water to serve in the restaurant, but not sure of the ratio).   The special sauce mixture (ketchup, Worcestershire) is a garnish for the chili mac, but is not served if you simply order chili.  The chili beef topping is added to chili mac selections, but is not served with a cup/bowl of chili.  I haven't asked, but I believe the chili beef topping is made in-house.  

Also, on my last visit, they had their chili for sale in both cans and microwave cups.  Does this help some?  Amy, I hope you can chime in again and take it from here.

For canned chili it's really not bad at all, but I much prefer the Vietti brand, which is made in Nashville.  I think it's one of the best kept secrets of canned chili.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/14 07:16:30
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 12:51:54
Mellow, thanks! This does help. Some here may not agree w/ you but we will see.

Now some new questions though.

4. If you order a bowl w/ beans it comes from a can. Do they add beans or are they already in there?

5. If you order a bowl w/ no beans is that also from a can?

Makes sense that the "chili meat" is made in house as is the sauce.

So there is no "sauce" in a bowl of chili. It is only on the pasta dishes.

6. Is there any canned product on the pasta dishes?

7. Is there any "chili meat' in a "bowl" of chili? 
(my first 3 questions are back on P1.) .

This is all real confusing. No wonder they try to keep it a all a secret.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/14 12:55:58
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 13:50:27
1. What is in a "bowl" of chili? Does it have the "sauce"? Is it just "chili meat" and "sauce"?

Every time I've ordered the chili by itself or as a side, there was no “special sauce” or “chili beef.”  It was just a serving of their canned chili with beans (diluted with water), although the canned product does contain some beef – but not a lot!  

2. How are the portions of pasta, "chili meat", and "sauce" different in a "chili mac", "chili mac supreme", and a "chili 3 or 5 way".

I’m stumped on this one.  I’ll have to defer to Amy or an S-N-S employee.   However, I can tell you the servings aren’t as generous as a growing boy would like.

3. Does SnS make the "chili" or Chili meat" or "sauce fresh or do the start w/ a can and add to it?

The chili is canned.  The chili beef and special sauce, to the best of my knowledge, are made in the store.  

4. If you order a bowl w/ beans it comes from a can. Do they add beans or are they already in there?

The beans, to the dismay of most Texans, are already in the can.

5. If you order a bowl w/ no beans is that also from a can?

If you order a bowl with no beans, you’ll have to pick the beans out yourself!  It ain't served beanless.

6. Is there any canned product on the pasta dishes?

They use their canned chili for the pasta dishes, the same chili they sell by the cup/bowl.

7. Is there any "chili meat' in a "bowl" of chili? 

Their chili contains beef and beans already, but there is none of the “chili beef” topping that they add to the spaghetti dish.  However, I’m sure they’ll add anything for an extra charge.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/14 15:24:01
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 17:35:22
Mellow, you have cleared up allot of the mystery... thanks! There are still a few things left to discover though. We will need some help from the Steak N' shake pros I think.

But, who still has Chili Mac on their local SnS menu? My closest SnS in Rockwall Tx. still had it on the last time I was there.

Deductive reasoning does tell me that if Chili Mac has no beans then it can not have the canned chili w/ beans on that menu item. Chili Mac must just have the "chili meat" and "sauce" but no canned chili w/ beans. Maybe this item is for those who want the pasta w/ chili but who do not want any beans? I know a few folks around here who might order this now that we know it has no beans... Maybe???

Yall don't get me wrong, I liked the 3 Way I had at SnS... beans and all. I would not even be inquiring about all of this if I didn't like what I was served. It had a unique flavor that left me wanting more.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/14 17:41:33
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 18:00:22
I'm not sure where the term "chili mac" is coming from, but S-N-S serves a 3-way and a 5-way chili, which both of which includes their chili with beans over spaghetti.  They use the same chili with beans that's served as a side. 
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 18:09:12
OK, maybe this solves it.  Zack at my nearest S-N-S tells me that "Chili Mac" consists of chili beef and special sauce over spaghetti noodles, but with no chili.  That would account for no beans in the dish.  Since the 3-way and 5-way are served with chili, they do have beans. 

I feel like Bob Cummings in Dial M For Murder.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/14 18:11:21
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 19:48:36
Well, thanks again Mellow! Good to hear that the "chili mac" is served in your area. I am surprised that w/ the "bean" issue the "chili mac" is not still served everywhere. Maybe it is but just not on all menus? ( Q#8 )

Shoot... I wish you had asked if there was a larger volume of noodles served w/ the "mac". I am betting that there is. I think this, and where the "chili mac" is still served, are the only questions of mine remaining to be answered?

If we clear all this up I think we will be the first on the net to do so. Oh, unless someone comes up w/ more questions. :~)
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/14 19:59:00
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 20:04:22
Oh, Mellow... the Bob Cummings thing was over my head. But... is he also known to some folks as Robert?
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:29:20
Yes, the star of "The Bob Cummings Show" was known to some folks as Robert.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:35:48
Sooo was he the guy who got to tha bottom of things on Dial M For Murder?
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:47:14
Yes, pretty much, along with John Williams.

Now I'm in the mood for a thick chocolate shake at Steak 'n Shake.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 21:55:52

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 22:09:04
Well you sure did some great detictive work here Mellow!

There was one real old SnS thread I found here at Roadfood but nothing in recent years. Maybe we need a new thread to talk about the other stuff that is good there. I will sure try a chocolate shake next time I stop in.

I may need that shake to go after trying all the Chili Bowl, Chili Way, and Chili Mac dishes, with extra Chili Meat and Sauce on some things. Or maybe I'll drink the shake first and get to go boxes for the other stuff I can't finish? :~)
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 22:23:47
I started my post but my dog told me the cats were ready to eat so I missed Bill's post above.

That's a strange looking car you have Bill! Do you drive that to SnS for a shake? Oh, and I like those sandals!
Joe
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/14 22:30:44
You know, I really do not understand your seeming obsession with Steak and Shake's food. Their "chili" is lousy and so is the rest of their food. You're in Texas. You know chili. And that's why I can't understand your quest.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 01:08:16
Michael, obsession is a good word to use for me and chili I guess. I am obsessed with all types of chili.

The SnS chili sure isn't Texas chili, and it sure isn't Cincy chili even though it is sometimes served over pasta. SnS is kinda new here in Texas and I never tried SnS when I was in an area that had them. Many folks love the SnS chili so I decided to stop in at the one in Rockwall Texas and check it out.

That is when I became confused about the different kinds they served. I somehow decided on the 3 way and I liked it but it just needed more chili w/ the pasta. It had a different flavor than any chili I ever had.

I came back home and started looking around the net. Some folks liked the chili mac. Some liked the 3/5 way while others just liked it by the bowl. I figured I could quickly get the details on the different chili products SnS served. I quickly found out that this is a well kept secret. Now, thanks to this thread things are comming to lite.

Obsessed? Yes but with all types of regional chilis and lost chili recipes. The search for Shanghai Jimmy's Chili Rice recipe is what brought me to this forum. I was also in search of Benny Binion's Real Texas Chili recipe. I knew Jimmy and Benny and it just didn't seam right that their recipes should be lost to time. Then I kinda got to like the folks around here so I stuck around. Arn't yall glad. *&%#@

Anyway... I was cooking Tex Mex, back before it became the craze it is now, for El Chico and also an independant Tex Mex place. I soon decided that even though I loved cooking... doing it for a living was not for me.

I have been eating, and cooking, all kinds of Texas style chili since the early 70's. I later discovered that folks around the country also liked chili but iit was not the same kinda chili we had in Texas. I then became interested in the Regional chilis.

When did I became obsessed? I'm not so sure? Maybe I should seek therapy? Naaa, I'm to old to change now. :~)

Sorry for such a long answer Michael. :~)))
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 03:54:52
Bill Voss:
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 04:17:37
Why do you say the Chili Mac, 3-Way, 5-Way dishes are such secrets?  My S-N-S location was extremely happy to answer questions. 

Regarding S-N-S food, I have to tell you.  That is one chain that has a consistency problem from store to store.  There are some good locations and some really bad locations.   I personally like some of the menu itemss, but their portion sizes leave something to be desired and leave me hungry most of the time.  I can not say enough good things about their shakes, though.  They get a high-five from me on real shakes served in real glasses from real stainless beakers.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2010/10/15 11:08:32
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 10:57:10
I have to agree with MellowRoast - their milkshakes are terrific, orange cream most of all.

This is an amusing thread to follow.  I don't deny having a 3-way or a 5-way every once in a while myself, but every time that I do, I end up wishing that Skyline or Gold Star would move down here so I could have their take on it instead!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 11:08:44
PapaJoe8

Michael, obsession is a good word to use for me and chili I guess. I am obsessed with all types of chili.

Sorry for such a long answer Michael. :~)))
Joe

Hey, there's nothing really wrong with an obsession, but that Steak and Shake stuff is just plumb nasty.

By the way, there's no need for an apology. Your posts -- long or short -- are always interesting.

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 11:32:29
Wait a minute! Hoffman being NICE?
Who's been hacking his account?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 12:13:02
Michael Hoffman is always nice to nice people. It is with twits that he has little patience.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 12:50:34
Mellow, secret... even you, as a long time customer, had to dig to find ou some of this stuff. Most things about chain restaurants can be easialy researched on the net. Not SnS chili menu items. I searched and searched and still had all these questions. Few here knew that the "chili" came from a can and was not made fresh in house. Who would have known that a bowl of chili does not come w/ any "chili meat" or "sauce"? And we still don't know if a "chili mac" comes w/ a larger portion of pasta than a "3/5 way. And many thought that "chili mac" was no longer served. And.........

Oh, new question... when did SnS stop making their chili in house and start using and selling the canned stuff? I did notice some chatter on the net that, years ago, some folks noticed a change in the chili.

Portions, my 3 Way portion was fine except that it needed more chili w/ tha pasta. This may vary by location?

And Mellow... consistency, always a prob w/ multi location outfits. Maybe they are having more probs than should be expected? They should be striving to make everything the same at each location. Maybe they could hire you to travel around and help improve these issues? I'm serious!

HBS, glad you chimed in and thanks for the orange cream tip! I doubt that many Skyline or Gold Star fans would say they like SnS better. Hey, this aint Cincy Chili. It's SnS chili. The fact that you and Mellow have some now and then is something to be said for it.

Michael... thanks! SnS chili lousy / nasty? There may be a few folks who might not agree with you on this. Who said, back on P1., to think of this stuff more as of a sauce for pasta, rather than chili?

Bill, Michael was one of those who made me feel right at home when I was still a newbe here at Roadfood. Oh, you did to. But, not gonna tell us where you got those sandals???
Joe
MellowRoast
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 13:10:43
You know, I'd really enjoy visiting restaurants to help improve quality control and consistency.  I guess I just haven't been discovered yet. 

To be honest,  I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't have to dig for the information.  I just relied on my experience as a customer.  However, I called the restaurant to inquire about the Chili Mac, which I don't think I've ever ordered.   

As for Skyline Chili, I'd definitely love to see an expansion into the South.  I'm stuck with their canned chili for now, which is good, but there's nothing quite like fresh.   
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 13:11:57
PapaJoe I do believe it was I who said one should think of it as a sauce.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: ISO Steak n Shake Chili 2010/10/15 14:25:21
Ohh, that WAS you Michael. :~)  It kinda sounded like once you wrapped your brain around this stuff not being "chili" that maybe it is not so "everything falls into place" bad??? But... given the "bean" issue it is hard for me to wrap my brain around you even trying this stuff. Oh, unless you tried the (no bean) Chili Mac? But... that dish has no "chili" on it. It only has the "chili meat" and "sauce". Unless you got the "chili mac supreme" and that does has some other stuff... but still no "chili".

SnS chili stuff confusing? Naaa!

Mellow, I was serious about you and quality controll. Maybe give the head office a call and tell them they need you. And if they want a resumay... just tell them to read this thread.

Edit; Oh but Mellow... Don't be embarrassed. You had never ordered the "chili mac" so you had to call to find out about the chili-less mac. Oh, but it does have the "chili meat". And we still don't know if the "chili mac" comes w/ a larger portion of pasta or not.
Joe
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/10/15 14:50:29
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial