" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF"

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
2010/08/11 01:22:30 (permalink)

" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF"

There have been 100's, maybe 1000's of posts on here as to who has the best hot dogs in the USA. There needs to be an Annual National Event to determine who has the best hot dog. We have a Super Bowl, an NCAA Championship in many sports, A World Chili Championship Cookoff, A World BBQ Championship Cookoff---so why not an Annual National Hot Dog Cookoff? Heck, let's make it an International Event and invite the Germans, Poles, Brits, Canadians, Mexicans and any other foreign country to participate in an International Division.

The participants would be all the Manufacturers of Hot Dogs who chose to enter, from the largest to the smallest. It could be set up in different divisions from the big guys like Oscar Meyer, to the medium sized producers, to Regional Producers  and even local producers. There would be a winner in each division and then they would compete for the World Championship. If a Manufacturer would like to have one of their customers represent them with their dogs, The Manufacturer could delegate them to be their official rep. For Example, if Jimmy Buff's Hot Dog Supplier wanted him as their rep they could sponsor him. Only one Customer per Manufacturer allowed. This could be an excellent promotion for manufacturers to hold internal customer cookoffs to see who would represent them.

Qualifications would need to be established to determine the criteria for each division. Hot dogs could be cooked by any method, Propane, Charcoal, Wood, Dirty Water, etc.

It would require an Impartial Major Sponsor like Coke or Pepsi or The Food Network, or a Major TV Network or FritoLay as well as smaller sponsors. It would require a large Venue centrally located in the USA. Participants would pay an entry fee based on size of the company. There could be an Exhibitors Trade Show of Grill Manufacturers, Condiment Suppliers, Bun Bakeries, Tools & Equipment Manufacturers, Cart Manufacturers, Roach Coach People, Pickle Packers, etc.  

There would be a panel of Judges as well as a Peoples Choice Award in each division. 

I can envision something like The Terlingua International Chili Championship, The Great American Barbeque Festival in KC or The Memphis in May Festival for this event.

These are just opening thoughts. Your Input please!
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/08/11 02:35:12

12 Replies Related Threads

ChicagoIrish
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 04:00:39 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, unlike such foods as chili and BBQ, which are more reliant on the technique that transforms mundane foodstuffs into culinary works of art.  The condiments are what transform the 'lowly' hotdog into a work of art.  To compare the neon green relish of a Chicago dog (although I am a minimalist by choice) against NYC sauerkraut versus the slaw of the Carolinas would be impossible to compare apples to apples.  Not to mention adding in Coneys, Italians, Sonorans, etc...unless you used those categories as unique to regions and chose the best of the best of those specialties.  But sign me up if this gets off the ground!

Mike
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 10:21:35 (permalink)
    All of this sounds very similar to The Great American Beer Festival. It is sponsored by the Brewers Association. The American Meat Institute's National Hot Dog and Sausage Council represents the hot dog industry. They would be a logical organization to sponsor such an event. I don't know if they ever considered such a competition.

Getting someone outside of a industry association to sponsor such a competition would be a real challenge.

As we have seen from the dozens of lists of "Best Hot Dogs In The Nation/State/Valley" published by the popular press, they never include more than a handful of brands. Without "big bucks" backed by industry professionals, we will never see a truly national cookoff.
    John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 13:09:17 (permalink)
    A great idea. But I would be in favor of no condiments or just mustard in order to truly judge the taste and quality of the frankfurter. At least 2 divisions. German style beef/pork or beef/pork/veal and kosher style all beef.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 13:43:24 (permalink)
    David_NYC

All of this sounds very similar to The Great American Beer Festival. It is sponsored by the Brewers Association. The American Meat Institute's National Hot Dog and Sausage Council represents the hot dog industry. They would be a logical organization to sponsor such an event. I don't know if they ever considered such a competition.

Getting someone outside of a industry association to sponsor such a competition would be a real challenge.

As we have seen from the dozens of lists of "Best Hot Dogs In The Nation/State/Valley" published by the popular press, they never include more than a handful of brands. Without "big bucks" backed by industry professionals, we will never see a truly national cookoff.

I thought about The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council but they would have a Bias towards their members and only a small portion of the Hot Dog Manufacturers belong to the Council. Certainly they would be included in some fashion and it would give them great exposure, but not as the major sponsor. Doubt if they would have the $$$ to do it anyway. Need big bucks to sponsor so that's why I suggested Coke or Pepsi, et al.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 13:52:16 (permalink)
    ChicagoIrish

Unfortunately, unlike such foods as chili and BBQ, which are more reliant on the technique that transforms mundane foodstuffs into culinary works of art.  The condiments are what transform the 'lowly' hotdog into a work of art.  To compare the neon green relish of a Chicago dog (although I am a minimalist by choice) against NYC sauerkraut versus the slaw of the Carolinas would be impossible to compare apples to apples.  Not to mention adding in Coneys, Italians, Sonorans, etc...unless you used those categories as unique to regions and chose the best of the best of those specialties.  But sign me up if this gets off the ground!

Mike

Thought about that too. That's what would make this interesting. Each manufacturer would need to decide how they would best present their product. For judging purposes, John Fox's idea of serving it plain and all of them using the same bun makes the most sense. That evens the playing field.
    However, for the People's Choice Award, it would be an open season with using whatever condiments they think will best show off their product. Let the public decide what works for them. That's how they do it at the Chili Cookoffs. Unless you're a manufacturer, you couldn't enter, but you could be a Judge or a worker.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 13:54:33 (permalink)
    The hell with the rules...I want to be a judge!!!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 14:06:29 (permalink)
    John Fox

A great idea. But I would be in favor of no condiments or just mustard in order to truly judge the taste and quality of the frankfurter. At least 2 divisions. German style beef/pork or beef/pork/veal and kosher style all beef.

Doing it by product type rather than Company size makes sense also. You could do it by both, but then it gets complicated.
    "The Winner in the Large Company, All Beef Kosher division is....." Could be done.
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 14:45:09 (permalink)
    this idea can work.............  dog up with mustard and roll,  yes people's choice............ serve it any way you want !!( like the good old day's of racing, run what you brung) .................. ok , why couldn't it work ???  sabbrett , best , boar's head and other's having a chance to show there stuff  off, ..... i can't wait, this will happen !!!  hold on ..................... 

i'm in as vendor !!!!!! dirty water champion.............. lol 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/11 14:52:30 (permalink)
    Dog Boss

this idea can work.............  dog up with mustard and roll,  yes people's choice............ serve it any way you want !!( like the good old day's of racing, run what you brung) .................. ok , why couldn't it work ???  sabbrett , best , boar's head and other's having a chance to show there stuff  off, ..... i can't wait, this will happen !!!  hold on ..................... 

i'm in as vendor !!!!!! dirty water champion.............. lol 

You would need to be a manufacturer to be eligible for awards. Hot dog vendors would not be allowed because it's for manufacturers only. People would buy a pack of tickets at the gate to be used with the Manufacturers booths only. You would need to get your supplier to have you as their representative if you wanted to compete using their Booth & Equipment. This would be a Manufacturers Show, not a vendor show.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/08/12 13:40:47
    Dog Boss
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/12 11:27:18 (permalink)
    ok, i guess , my sense of humor was over looked AGAIN................. this idea that has been presented is a sure winner, what hot dog/sausage manufacture in the right business sense ,would sit out of a opportunity to display there product ??????  in this day, you need all the marketing, advertising and good old word mouth to expand the brand......... yes,  a simple way is the fair way for them to show off there product............ mustard and bun sounds fair. then part two, why not let vendors come in, and have a good old battle of the dog's............. cook off's r about strutting your stuff , and saying i'm number one !!!

phase 1   manufactures of national distribution ( class 1 winner )
     phase 2   manufactures of a regional distribution ( class 2 winner )
     phase 3  manufactures on a local distribution ( class 3 winner ) 
     phase 4 all combined ( best of show winner )

all done by judges  

phase 5 peoples choice winner 

then the second part is done with vendors doing there thing with there manufactures product's ....................

come on, you can't see this ?   this is big.................. BBQ watch out , the BIG DOG IS COMING THRU !!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/12 13:50:43 (permalink)
    Dog Boss

ok, i guess , my sense of humor was over looked AGAIN................. this idea that has been presented is a sure winner, what hot dog/sausage manufacture in the right business sense ,would sit out of a opportunity to display there product ??????  in this day, you need all the marketing, advertising and good old word mouth to expand the brand......... yes,  a simple way is the fair way for them to show off there product............ mustard and bun sounds fair. then part two, why not let vendors come in, and have a good old battle of the dog's............. cook off's r about strutting your stuff , and saying i'm number one !!!

phase 1   manufactures of national distribution ( class 1 winner )
    phase 2   manufactures of a regional distribution ( class 2 winner )
    phase 3  manufactures on a local distribution ( class 3 winner ) 
    phase 4 all combined ( best of show winner )

all done by judges  

phase 5 peoples choice winner 

then the second part is done with vendors doing there thing with there manufactures product's ....................

come on, you can't see this ?   this is big.................. BBQ watch out , the BIG DOG IS COMING THRU !!!

Yeh, I can see it for sure. However, the more you add, the more work and implementation and Money required. It would be a HUGE undertaking to pull this off. I'm great on Ideas but lousy on implementation. Who are we gonna get to Implement this? It would require an Event Management group like the people who organize ChicagofFest or the KC BBQ event.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/08/13 22:39:49
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:" IT's TIME FOR A NATIONAL HOT DOG COOKOFF" 2010/08/13 21:31:30 (permalink)
    FoodB, great idea! And, some other good ideas here also. It would be great to have this cook off! Hey, the longest journey began w/ a single step.
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1