Ice Cream Push Cart Profitable?

Author
kattie89
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/06/07 13:04:19 (permalink)

Ice Cream Push Cart Profitable?

Hi!

I love this forum! Been reading through some postings, and I am wondering if anyone has experience re: the profitability of ice cream push carts?

I live in an urban, "yuppy-ish" area, lots of stores, restaurants, boutiques, ie: foot traffic. Yet, we don't have a great ice cream parlor, and my thought is that a push cart would be a great asset. Just walk it up and down the main drag in the afternoons, evenings and weekends, and take it to outdoor events.

I am just beginning to look into the whole idea, and would like to know if anyone has an idea on the profit potential of such a business. I have been able to find a great deal of info on hot dogs, but not ice cream. I am in NY, so I expect permits and fees to be high, so I would like to get an idea of what the profit on a cone is?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good starter cart, I would appreciate it. I really want to do scoops of ice cream, as there are more than enough convenience stores to by Good Humor items, etc.

Thanks in advance for any insite you can offer!

1 Reply Related Threads

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Ice Cream Push Cart Profitable? 2006/06/07 22:14:39 (permalink)
    Kattie, we sell ice cream and Italian ice from a cart made by C Nelson. It's electric and uses freezer plates to keep it cold when unplugged for up to 12 hours. It's 9 cu ft and holds 800 frozen novelties. Since it weighs over 400 pounds when empty, it wouldn't be considered a push cart. Push carts are kept cold with dry ice. Scooping ice cream requires a dip well. This is a sink with constantly running water to sanitize the scooper. Hard to find one on a push cart. The profit margin on ice cream is about 50%. Ice cream sales are weather related. The hotter the day, the greater the sales. We sell bottles of water at the ice cream cart too.

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Escaped to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish/Dove ice cream bars & Lezza Italian ice
    Business Instructor www.hotdogu.com
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1