Ice cream memories

Author
The Debster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/10/14 14:06:59 (permalink)

Ice cream memories

Truly, it pleases me to know that I am in great company with these cherished ice cream memories: Lockwood Castle, Buffalo's in the Skokie neighborhood...awesome banana ice cream, Cock Robin with its "square" cones, Carvel and Baskin Robbins and its killer World Class Chocolate. Our family always had ice cream in the freezer. Anyone remember Good Humor half gallons sold at "Price and Compare" in Skokie? These "tubs" were unique, as the container looked like a bucket. My favorite flavor was chocolate chip because Good Humor thought enough to use miniature chips that looked like tiny Hershey's kisses. Another cherished memory is buying Valas ice cream sold in pints at a local grocer, "Leon's" in Skokie. I remember the packaging included a black background with rainbow colored letters...almost like a Peter Maxx painting. My favorite flavor was vanilla chocolate fudge...simply outstanding. Does anyone recall this particular brand of ice cream sold in pints?

The Debster

14 Replies Related Threads

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/14 14:21:28 (permalink)
    I remember visiting my Aunt and Uncle in Greenbelt, Maryland in the early 60's. We went to this large ice cream place in College Park and I had some of the best Pineapple Sherbet that I ever remember having. Back in the early 70's when my husband and I were dating and first married, we used to stop at a place in Rock Hill, SC (right behind Winthrop College) called Crown's Creamery. They had huge cones of ice cream and it was sooooo good. I also remember in the early 60's staying at Clearwater Beach, Florida and they would sell these big ice cream sandwiches from a stand on the ocean front. It would be the 3 flavored ice cream (choc, vanilla, strawberry) between two flat wafers that were made of the same stuff that ice cream cones are made from.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 10:16:39 (permalink)

Peerless Ice Cream : just a few blocks down from the house
    I grew up in, in Windsor, Ontario.....

Yum!!
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 10:57:27 (permalink)
    Big banana splits at Farrell's.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 11:43:50 (permalink)
    Frozen Pudding!! dont see it much here in the west---LOVED it as a kid in New England---My family was into the "Sunday Drive",usually to nowhere but always at the point that we would start to meader toward home,there was always some small local ice place or "Dairy" as we called them--with great flavors like Grape Nuts,Maple nut, Black Walnut, Ginger and of course--Frozen Pudding! Loved those drives! Was back home recently and took one of those drives just to visit old times and places and wouldnt you know--just when i thought about heading home,there was a place with fried clams AND Frozen Pudding!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 12:21:50 (permalink)
    tiki, where in New England did you find "frozen pudding"?? I lived there for 15 years and never heard of such a thing! Hodgie's in Amesbury MA does make awesome ice cream, all made on the premises but I'm a devoted fan of Wells Blue Bunny now!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 12:42:21 (permalink)
    Lisa,
    Frozen Pudding was a common flavor in Mass. when I lived there in the 60's. Kinsons Ice Cream Stand in Georgetown had it on a regular basis. That's pretty close to your Amesbury location.
    Frozen Pudding was not one of my choices though... I was a tradional Buttercrunch consumer
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7019
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 13:09:52 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I must have been out of the loop and working too much, because I spent a lot of time in the Georgetown area (Hamilton, Ipswich, Amesbury, Topsfield, etc.) and have never had Frozen Pudding! Dang!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/15 16:10:12 (permalink)
    Actually frozen pudding still is a favorite out in the Boston burbs--mostly in local shops--never saw at places like friendlys though. Ginger isthe one i miss---barely ever see that one anywhere--last two times i had it i had to make my own!
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/18 16:47:04 (permalink)
    I remember buying orange "push ups" from the ice cream man that drove around the neighborhood and played the ice cream music from his truck.

carl reitz
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/20 17:24:45 (permalink)
    The Sundancer had a paper route when I was eight years old. I peddled a big old heavy Schwinn with a basket on front. My papers were left at this old country store with a very limited inventory. After I packed with my papers and counted them, I would go in the store and buy a nickle cup of ice cream with a wooden spoon and slowly pour a Grapette over the top and scoop small portions out. Sometimes I would switch out with a Nehi grape but the Grapette was better.

Incidentally the paper route was six miles long over mostly gravel roads. Sunday's was a killer.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/10/21 11:36:37 (permalink)
    I remember that we even had an ice cream man that pushed a little cart with a bell(something like they do at the beach). We would get
    orange push ups or drumsticks. I can remember sitting on the front steps waiting on the ice cream man to come. I also remember when the milk man delivered fresh cold milk to our house.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/11/03 14:18:11 (permalink)
    Frozen pudding is all over in Mass. Crescent Ridge in Sharon, White's Ice Cream in Ipswich. Kimball's, richardsons, the list goes on and on.

Grapenut is another New England regional ice cream. My mom hates grapenuts as a cereal, loves it in ice cream.
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/11/03 16:45:18 (permalink)
    Chico's dairy in Morgantown WV had a shoppe that was the staple eating place for many a student for 50 odd years. The piece de resistance' there was "The Mountaineer" 21 large scoops of the ice creams of your choice and toppings. The place I miss most though was Gustin's Creamery, located in the WVU bar strip known as Sunnyside.(Yes the place where loyal Mountaineers still burn their furniture in the middle of the street after a particularly fierce football win.) Gustin's had to be the richest, creamiest and closest to homemade ice cream , ever and featured zillions of combinations. Flavors such as Bailey's Irish Creme, Kahlua Almond Fudge, Creme De Menthe with Vandermint Fudge Ripple......all made with the real stuff......Pistachio Almond Fudge, Peach Melba, Cherries Jubilee...etc......Pricey to be sure , but heaven on earth.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Ice cream memories 2004/11/07 22:27:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Debster

Truly, it pleases me to know that I am in great company with these cherished ice cream memories: Lockwood Castle, Buffalo's in the Skokie neighborhood...awesome banana ice cream, Cock Robin with its "square" cones, Carvel and Baskin Robbins and its killer World Class Chocolate. Our family always had ice cream in the freezer. Anyone remember Good Humor half gallons sold at "Price and Compare" in Skokie? These "tubs" were unique, as the container looked like a bucket. My favorite flavor was chocolate chip because Good Humor thought enough to use miniature chips that looked like tiny Hershey's kisses. Another cherished memory is buying Valas ice cream sold in pints at a local grocer, "Leon's" in Skokie. I remember the packaging included a black background with rainbow colored letters...almost like a Peter Maxx painting. My favorite flavor was vanilla chocolate fudge...simply outstanding. Does anyone recall this particular brand of ice cream sold in pints?

The Debster

Welcome to Raodfood Deb! (I too am a Deb)

I fondly remember birthday sundaes at Jahns in Brooklyn, where they also had the infamous "Kitchen Sink" which was enough ice cream and toppings for about 20 people- it was truly disgusting if you think about it.

We also had the best Good Humor man in the world- his name was Matthew and if you were sick, he'd bring an ice cream to your house for you.

Those were the days, my friend.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1