Ice cream on I-95

Author
TFitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
2003/12/24 18:29:47 (permalink)

Ice cream on I-95

I'm driving to FLA from MD and am looking for an ice cream stop. Carl's in Fredericksburg is closed until February. Any suggestions? Thanks

9 Replies Related Threads

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2003/12/26 02:22:40 (permalink)
    Oh, darn...I was hoping this was going to be a picture...
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2003/12/26 05:31:18 (permalink)
    Sorry, I can't help. At least you know about Carl's and that's a good thing.

For the uninformed, family owned Carl's is a custard stand on Princess Anne Street in Fredericksburg, Virginia that's dearly beloved by all who know it. Carl takes off for Florida in the winter, but re-opens mid-February. No matter the weather on opening day (even a foot of snow!) there will be a line wrapped around the building!

I have a painted wood reproduction of Carl's sitting on a bookshelf, a gift from the friend who so entusiastically introduced me to this local wonder.
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2003/12/26 10:30:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Oh, darn...I was hoping this was going to be a picture...

I'm flattered !
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2003/12/26 20:20:42 (permalink)
    There is a good and intersting Ice Cream shop in Silver Spring Md,
    Located on Ga ave, Right were 16th st divides, Its named York Castle , Its owned and run by Jamacians, Eveything is fresh made on premisis, With many Tropical and native carribean flavors, They also have a flavor called Irish Moss , Made with Stout . Yes beer ice cream, And good.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2003/12/27 00:16:02 (permalink)
    No discussion of Ice Cream in the Maryland area would be complete without the Tragedy of Lee's Ice Cream Parlor. I know you're looking for a place to go, and I'd recommend Lee's in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, if only for the ice cream. But it's nothing like it once was.

Founded in 1979, Lee's Ice Cream was an old-fashioned parlor on York Road (the main street) in Towson, Maryland, north of Baltimore. Lee Garfield opened the shop in a late Victorian shopfront. The building was painted a riot of pastels and bright colors, and was an old-style soda fountain. The perfect place for a teenage date. Fun and wholesome, and funky as well. The ice cream, all made on the premises, was fantastic, and since the only parlor ice cream available at the time was Baskin Robbins or Friendly's, it was easy to make new and creative ice creams by adding crushed cookies and candies to various existing flavors. You could even specify what you wanted in what ice cream. Chocolate chip cookie dough was popular, but not the most popular. That honor went to Oreo Ice Cream. Crushed Oreos in vanilla ice cream (although you could get it in chocolate if you asked) was so popular that by the 1990s, they'd opened a second store, in Harborplace in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore. That location, while only a booth in a huge food-court/mall, was extremely profitable, and very popular. Because the inner harbor was teeming with residents looking for a nice day as well as tourists, and parking in Towson was never that easy, the Inner Harbor location far exceeded the old place in business. So eventually, the original location closed. I felt strongly that they'd lost what was the best part of the parlor. It's charm. I felt like they'd sold out. Now, apparently, they've got several other franchise locations in Maryland and Northern Virginia, although I don't know where any of them are. I just read an article saying that Garfield had sold the business last summer, and the new owners plan to open a new factory and open 10 new stores a year. Including one in Towson. But will they all have the same charm? Will they all be painted in a riot of Victorian trim? Will you get custom ice cream made in the shop? Kiiinda doubt it. But if they still offer Oreo ice cream, it shouldn't be missed.
    rickatlees
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2004/01/27 10:59:24 (permalink)
    Jennie,

Please allow me an introduction. I am the Senior Vice President and General Sales Manager of Lee's Ice Cream and I want to assure you that the same old fashioned taste and quality of Lee's Ice Cream is as you remember.

We take great pride in the fact that we make Lee's the old fashioned way, and have kept true to Lee's original quest for the best tasting ice cream anywhere.We have simply expanded his dream so more people can enjoy what is was that you remembered.

Scoop Shops can be found in Towson, The Inner Harbor, Valley Village, Whitemarsh, and Annapolis. We have also just begun to sell pints at all Royal Farms, High's, and many other stores in the local area.

So please go and enjoy the great ice cream you remember. In fact, if you email me your address at rbrown@leesicecream.com I will send you some free coupons.

Enjoy,

Rick
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2004/01/27 11:52:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rickatlees

Jennie,

Please allow me an introduction. I am the Senior Vice President and General Sales Manager of Lee's Ice Cream and I want to assure you that the same old fashioned taste and quality of Lee's Ice Cream is as you remember.

We take great pride in the fact that we make Lee's the old fashioned way, and have kept true to Lee's original quest for the best tasting ice cream anywhere.We have simply expanded his dream so more people can enjoy what is was that you remembered.

Scoop Shops can be found in Towson, The Inner Harbor, Valley Village, Whitemarsh, and Annapolis. We have also just begun to sell pints at all Royal Farms, High's, and many other stores in the local area.

So please go and enjoy the great ice cream you remember. In fact, if you email me your address at rbrown@leesicecream.com I will send you some free coupons.

Enjoy,

Rick

Nice write-up recently in the Washington Business Journal re. Lee's expansion plans in the Baltimore-Washington market.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2004/01/27 15:06:30 (permalink)
    Yikes! Wow! Okay, Rick, I'll definitely have to sample your wares and your new shops.

Thanks!
    Jennie
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Ice cream on I-95 2004/06/13 17:55:34 (permalink)
    Sorry that it's taken me soooo long to respond to this, guys. But I have indeed sampled the new Lee's! The kids and I went to the White Marsh shop a couple of months ago, and used Rick's generous gift card to purchase ice cream for my daughter and myself. (The baby got a taste, too.)

It was fantastic! I loved the ice cream, and the decor was as ice-cream-shoppy as one could get while outfitting a chain of stores in good retail locations. So, thumbs up, Rick!

I notice there were baked goods, as well, but didn't have room.

You know, there's a discussion on another board here about the future of Krispy Kreme, and how Dunkin Donuts has better coffee, having bought into the cappuchino craze. I was thinking that this would be a great idea for an ice cream place. Good coffee and ice cream are hard to beat. Even when I go on my usual medieval camping trip in August, we always bring the espresso-cappuchino machine, rent a fridge, and bring the blender to make coffee-ice cream shakes. I guess they'd be like Starbucks' Frappuchinos. We have various syrups and a couple different ice creams. Nothing like your authentic medieval experience. lol
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1