Ice cream with wheels!

Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
2004/06/15 15:58:36 (permalink)

Ice cream with wheels!

Just heard an news article about noise where the topic of ice cream trucks came up---particulaly Mister Softee---seems they have a complete ice cream menu---shakes-sundies-cones. Having never seen ine i wondered if they are any good---anyone got any experiance with them---or ASNY ice cream truck other then the same old tuck loaded with premade treats? I am still considering a vending truck of some kind and had thought of real dipped cones and sundies or a hot dog truck or stand. I like the idea of being able to MOVE the business as i intend to do this part time. So---anyone ever eaten Mister Softee's products ?

17 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/15 16:48:58 (permalink)
    It has been years ago, but I do remember having a Mr. Softee somewhere. I think it was good, but not spectacular. Because of the high price of refrigerated shipping, I am pretty sure Mr. Softee would just sell or rent you the truck (with its equipment) and then you would have to purchase your soft-serve mix from your local or regional dairy, just like the land-based soft serve shops do, so the quality of your product would depend on what was available at your dairy.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/15 18:09:44 (permalink)
    I grew up in a neighborhood served by a Mister Softee truck nightly. I loved their products. Much like Dairy Queen. My current neighborhood is served by a Mister Softee truck. They still run in Philadelphia and its suburbs, NJ, and NYC.
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/15 18:31:06 (permalink)
    This is a brand new concept for me. I'm not sure if they were around "before my time", but I've never seen a truck with anything but the premade ice creams. And, the trucks run almost year 'round out here. Why has no-one thought of bringing this to California?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/15 22:01:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by davesgrill

This is a brand new concept for me. I'm not sure if they were around "before my time", but I've never seen a truck with anything but the premade ice creams. And, the trucks run almost year 'round out here. Why has no-one thought of bringing this to California?

Maybe you just did!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/15 22:02:51 (permalink)
    Hmm---maybe this is worth investigating
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/15 22:31:21 (permalink)
    Boston -- at least my part of it -- has trucks that have a few pre=packaged novelties, but do the bulk of their business in soft-serve cones, cups, sundaes and the like. That's been the case around here for decades, according to my wife, but this is the firs place I've lived where that's true.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 750
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/16 09:11:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

check this out tiki:http://www.mistersoftee.com/franchise.aspI talked to the guy who had our local Mister Softee [correct spelling BTW..]he said it was great if you dont mind working EVERY day from May to October...but the $$ was good though....
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/16 15:12:32 (permalink)
    Wasn't it a Mister Softee truck that was the source of Ice Cream Man skit in Eddie Murphey's "Delirious"?

Mom, throw down some money!!!!!! The ice cream man is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only experienced Mister Softee when I lived in Northern New Jersey. They were great. I have never seen them anywhere else, though.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/16 15:59:27 (permalink)
    I never saw a Mister Softee -- at least I don't remember haveing seen one. My ice cream man was the Good Humor Man. Ah, for a chocolate stick. No toasted almond sticks for me. (We called an ice cream bar on a stick, a stick.)

I couldn't wait till I was 16, because my life's ambition was to be a Good Humor tricycle vendor and you had to be 16 to get the job. Unfortunately, by the time I was 16 I was driving a delivery truck for my father's wholesale meat business.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/16 18:03:37 (permalink)
    I remember Mister Softee in Galesburg, Illinois. They only had a couple of premade treats, and everything else was made to order. My parents winced when they heard that loud "melody," since Mister Softee was significantly more expensive than Dairy Queen, let alone the better and cheaper local ice cream stands. One restaurant in Galesburg now says they serve "Virginia's" ice cream (that was the best-loved of the locals) but won't respond to any questions about just what makes their ice cream "Virginia's."

Children never change, and will always nag their parents for money when they hear that melody. Tiki, you may be onto something here!
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/16 19:07:34 (permalink)
    The Mister Softee truck came and parked outside our Jr. High school every day at lunchtime. The school didn't have a cafeteria so we brought our lunchs, walked to the Tastee Freeze, or bought something off the truck (this Mister Softee carried hotdogs and a few other items besides ice cream). I liked the Mister Softee choice best so I usually did that until one Monday when I bought a chili dog that I think must have been left over from the previous Friday. That was my first experience with food poisoning, and as much as I liked their ice cream, I never bought my lunch there again.
    Mister Softee was also the first place I had a Boston Shake, something I don't see around much anymore.
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/17 16:48:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

check this out tiki:http://www.mistersoftee.com/franchise.aspI talked to the guy who had our local Mister Softee [correct spelling BTW..]he said it was great if you dont mind working EVERY day from May to October...but the $$ was good though....

Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees, I guess. Thanks for the Idea tiki, and the web-link ConeyIslandLou. I just might look into this.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/17 18:21:22 (permalink)
    TI, what's a "Boston Shake"? Now, I understand a milk shake isn't a milk shake in many eastern states, so I'm confused. Thanks!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/17 20:17:11 (permalink)
    A Boston shake is a milkshake with a sundae on top of it.
    hotdogger
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/18 00:30:07 (permalink)
    The summer wouldn't be the same without hearing that familiar Mr. Softee music coming down the block. Nothing beats a soft ice cream cone with sprinikles from Mr. Softee. The milk shakes are pretty good too. You can even get a banana split from a Mr. Softee truck.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/06/18 10:19:31 (permalink)
    Mister Softee made the rounds in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago in the '60s when I was growing up. It was Dairy Queen meets Winnabago. Not a bad product as I remember but then my palatte was under-educated. It was great when we could convince mom to pony up some cash.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Ice cream with wheels! 2004/11/30 16:05:17 (permalink)
    Man oh man, I have not thought about Mister Softee since I was a kid. I was like Pavlov's dog hearing those bells and that jingle made me run home and ask mom for $$ so I could get a cone, or a push-up, or whatever else he had. i had no idea it was still around.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1