Iced Coffee

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2009/07/06 18:05:42 (permalink)

Iced Coffee

I love Iced Tea, sweet, real sweet, I also love Iced Coffee, sweet, not as sweet as tea but sweet nonetheless. Any other fans out there?

28 Replies Related Threads

kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 268
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 18:12:29 (permalink)
    I'm actually not a lover of coffee but some of those iced coffee drinks look kinda yummy.  I've actually never tried iced tea, am I missing out? :)
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 18:12:40 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I love Iced Tea, sweet, real sweet, I also love Iced Coffee, sweet, not as sweet as tea but sweet nonetheless. Any other fans out there?
    Exactly the same as me....I usually use the morning leftover coffee for a tall glass with cream and sugar of course. I kind of like those DoubleShots too!

cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1630
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 18:28:01 (permalink)
    Since moving to Central FL, I enjoy Iced Coffee a good chunk of the year. I just like some milk in mine, no sugar. (I don't like sugar in my Iced Tea either, which gets me some looks down here.)

I do have a thing for McD's sugar-free Vanilla Iced Coffee. It's a treat, especially if you're trying to cut down your sugar intake. The fact that it's a lot cheaper than most of the $trarbucks concoctions doesn't hurt either! 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 18:28:05 (permalink)
    I am not a coffee drinker, but I love Mocha Shakes or Iced coffee with chocolate, milk, and a ton of sweetener blended in.  We keep a bottle of Praline Syrup here at home to mix in with that stuff also!!
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 18:46:46 (permalink)
    cavandre

Since moving to Central FL, I enjoy Iced Coffee a good chunk of the year. I just like some milk in mine, no sugar. (I don't like sugar in my Iced Tea either, which gets me some looks down here.)

I don't like sugary drinks either. I do like iced coffee, but hate vanilla. Mocha, baby! Unsweetened iced tea & little to no sugar in coffee. To me there is enough sugar in the milk for coffee & never liked iced tea with sugar.

beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 19:08:43 (permalink)
    McCafe has opened here in China (McDonalds) They have a selection of one coffee. Sadly the taste difference between this and there previous coffee is nil. Have read such positive views on McCafe coffee. Guess until i do get back to US i be void of it. I inquired about ice coffee after a look of scorn they offered pour it over ice for an additional 10 yuan ($1.46) i passed.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 19:26:07 (permalink)
    I used to love iced coffee -- much more so than iced tea. For some reason, though, I've not had any in years. I'll have to remedy that.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 20:17:06 (permalink)
    I absolutely cannot stand sweet tea.  I actually like to taste the tea, not sugar in quantities that send you into a diabetic coma.

Oddly, having said that, I love Thai iced coffee.  Strong chicokry blend coffee (New Orleans style(Cafe Du Monde)) and copious amounts of sweetened condensed milk.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/06 23:01:11 (permalink)
    I have been drinking iced coffee since I was  a kid and picked up sweet ice tea when I lived in AL.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/07 00:54:48 (permalink)
    Growing up in NYC, iced coffee was a regular item on most menus. Ice tea was available but not as popular.
    It's just the reverse here in Dallas. If you want iced coffee, you'll need to make it yourself.
    So, I make it for myself at home quite often. I drink hot coffee black, no sugar.
    But, I like my iced coffee with a little sweetener and milk or half & half.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/07 01:55:00 (permalink)

My  only beverage is sweat tea.  i drink about a gallon a day.  I steep Luisanne ice tea bags in hot water and add a cup of sugar.  I always have an iced mug next to me
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/07 11:12:03 (permalink)
    I love a good cold glass of iced tea-no sugar or lemon, thank you, loaded with ice.I am not much of a coffee drinker anymore, but if the cup of coffee gets cold-which is the norm, I will put it on ice to finish( only milk in mine) But Al's praline syrup might make me change my mind...
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/07 11:23:28 (permalink)
    kirstinem1

I'm actually not a lover of coffee but some of those iced coffee drinks look kinda yummy.  I've actually never tried iced tea, am I missing out? :)

Yes, you are missing out bigtime!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/07 12:16:10 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

kirstinem1

Yes, you are missing out bigtime!

Yeah, I can certainly understand why. There's probably not much demand for ice tea in Alberta, Canada.
    Quite a bit different down here in the hotter climates.
    Beverly K
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/08 20:21:17 (permalink)
    Growing up in New Jersey, actually Union County, which is considered the New York metropolitan area, I recall iced coffee on many restaurant menus.

When we relocated to south-central PA in the mid-60's, it was not to be found on any menu, so we made our own.

I don't drink it any more. Just lost the taste for it, I guess. But I think I probably would like the coffee with sweetened condensed milk, which I was always told was called Vietnamese-style coffee.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/09 13:11:25 (permalink)
    I grew up in Brooklyn in the 1960's. I am very sensitive to some flavors; milk which is not 100% fresh has a flavor I dislike (I am talking about milk that tastes absolutely fine to just about anybody else). My parents, who were iced coffee drinkers (at least during the summer), discovered that a few drops of coffee in the milk killed the off-flavor for me. As I grew older, I used more and more coffee, and less and less milk. As a result, I never developed a taste for sweetened iced coffee.

A couple of hints:
    1) When ordering iced coffee in a restaurant, ask if they have it already made. If they say they can make it, point out that putting hot coffee over ice is the equivalent of heating cold coffee by adding hot water (note that some places, like Starbucks, make double-strong coffee, and THEN pour it over ice).

2) Trick for making iced coffee from instant: Pour cold water into a glass, leaving room for ice, milk and whatever. I like Folgers and Cafe Bustelo instant; I usually use two teaspoons for a 16 ounce glass. In any case, put the glass in a stable place, and add the instant coffee without stirring. The coffee will slowly sink under the surface (30 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on how cold the water is). Do not touch until every bit of coffee has sunk beneath the surface. THEN stir, add whatever, and then add ice, and stir again. The coffee should be entirely or almost entirely dissolved.
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/07/09 14:05:46 (permalink)
    In the summer, we keep a small pitcher of chai in the fridge-- Indian style tea with cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, with whole milk and a bit of sugar mixed in.  Very refreshing.

I like iced coffee (with sweetened condensed milk), but rarely make it at home.  Otherwise, I don't drink coffee.
    Bella Caffe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/09 10:14:27 (permalink)
    You'll find this drink in alot of Thai & Korean restaurants. Iced coffee thats made with coffee & sweetened condensed milk. I think they must cut the sweetened condnesed milk with regular milk because its never as thick as what I make at home but its great. The next time you get yourself a seafood vermiccelli bowl grab yourself an iced coffee. They're great. Some mexican restaurants also have some great iced coffees. Generally the iced coffees you get at fast food places arent really iced coffee. They're almost cups of non dairy creamer with some coffee flavor added. Although I do like the coffee frosty shake at Wendy's. I do a frozen cappuccino thats my biggest seller. Its Espresso, Cane Sugar, & milk poured into a frozen margarita machine. Turns out awesome. I also keep shots of espresso in the fridge & can add an extra shot to a frozen cappuccino without melting it. And I keep leftover coffee cold the next day for real Iced coffee (you just doctor it as you would a hot cup of coffee)
    wmceaton
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/09 10:51:22 (permalink)
    I love iced coffee...good luck finding it in Canada. I was in St. Catherines (just a ways up from Niagara Falls) and I asked if they had iced coffee at a Tim Hortons....the concept escaped them.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/09 11:59:56 (permalink)
    Believe it or not- you can BUY coffee, for iced coffee, in a bottle at Whole Foods- it is in the Dairy Aisle- it is plain- all you need to do is add sugar and cream, if that's you're thing. At home, I make a small qty of a simple syrup( that's water with sugar cooked until syrupy) to add to my iced coffee- that way I know it is dissolved- could work for sweet tea too, I suppose.
    Bella Caffe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/09 13:10:18 (permalink)
    The best method of brewing coffee for use in Iced Coffee is called The Toddy Method. Its a carafe that used a cold brew method where you put the ground coffee in the basket on top. Theres a thick reusable filter at the bottom of it & you pour cold water over top. You use alot more coffee grinds than normal & you let it steep over night & then pull the plug & it drips into the carafe. What  you end up with is a highly concentrated low acid/bitter coffee. You can use this as a coffee extract & add it to milk, cold water, whatever. The slow process & the filter helps eliminate the bitterness you get from taking regular brewed coffee & just refrigerating it. This will stay in the fridge for a week or so. It makes an awesome iced coffee. You can find the brewers all over the place.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/13 14:45:45 (permalink)
    My Dad used to freeze coffee in ice cube trays for making iced coffee. That way the coffee doesn't get watered down as you drink it.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/13 15:20:10 (permalink)
    Bella Caffe

You'll find this drink in a lot of Thai & Korean restaurants.  Iced coffee thats made with coffee & sweetened condensed milk. I think they must cut the sweetened condensed milk with regular milk because its never as thick as what I make at home but its great. The next time you get yourself a seafood vermiccelli bowl grab yourself an iced coffee. They're great. Some mexican restaurants also have some great iced coffees. Generally the iced coffees you get at fast food places arent really iced coffee. They're almost cups of non dairy creamer with some coffee flavor added. Although I do like the coffee frosty shake at Wendy's. I do a frozen cappuccino thats my biggest seller. Its Espresso, Cane Sugar, & milk poured into a frozen margarita machine. Turns out awesome. I also keep shots of espresso in the fridge & can add an extra shot to a frozen cappuccino without melting it. And I keep leftover coffee cold the next day for real Iced coffee (you just doctor it as you would a hot cup of coffee)
    Also it is a specialty drink at Vietnamese restaurants, like Song Long, in the Roselawn area of Cincinnati:

This was one I had there a few weeks back.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/08/13 15:25:53
    Bigfoot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/13 16:31:06 (permalink)
    Bella Caffe

The best method of brewing coffee for use in Iced Coffee is called The Toddy Method. Its a carafe that used a cold brew method where you put the ground coffee in the basket on top. Theres a thick reusable filter at the bottom of it & you pour cold water over top. You use alot more coffee grinds than normal & you let it steep over night & then pull the plug & it drips into the carafe. What  you end up with is a highly concentrated low acid/bitter coffee. You can use this as a coffee extract & add it to milk, cold water, whatever. The slow process & the filter helps eliminate the bitterness you get from taking regular brewed coffee & just refrigerating it. This will stay in the fridge for a week or so. It makes an awesome iced coffee. You can find the brewers all over the place.

If you don't want to spend the money on a brewer, a large bowl works just as well.  You can make the cold brew as strong or as weak as you like.  Let the grounds sit in the water overnight, then strain out the grounds through a fine sieve in the morning.  We make it ready-to-drink rather than concentrated.  Just add ice, milk and sweetener, if desired.  Or heat it in the microwave for the best coffee you've had in a long time.  Not pouring boiling water over it seems to cut down on the acidity and brings out the subtle flavors.
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 268
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/13 16:56:41 (permalink)
    wmceaton

I love iced coffee...good luck finding it in Canada. I was in St. Catherines (just a ways up from Niagara Falls) and I asked if they had iced coffee at a Tim Hortons....the concept escaped them.

You can get it here but it seems more to a more seasonal thing as Tim Horton's only started selling them again in summer.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/15 14:04:54 (permalink)
    mbrookes My Dad used to freeze coffee in ice cube trays for making iced coffee. That way the coffee doesn't get watered down as you drink it.

One addition to that trick: When  the cubes are frozen, put them into plastic bag. That frees up the ice cube tray.

badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/19 20:25:07 (permalink)
    My wife loves the iced coffee,but for me I have to have it hot.If it gets a little cool,I have to make a fresh cup.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Iced Coffee 2009/08/20 09:58:36 (permalink)
    we make a pot of coffee and put directly into fridge. Once cool, fill glass with ice, some cream(maybe a touch of splenda) and boom, fresh iced coffee. We also keep sugar free flavors like hazelnut and almond on hand. Iced coffee and iced tea (made by my Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker) are the summer staples in our house. Once the humidity drops and temps start to cool and Fall arrives, the Iced Tea maker gets put away and it's hot drinks until next year.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1