The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Icelandic cuisine

Author Message
marberthenad

  • Total Posts: 509
  • Joined: 2/19/2003
  • Location: Washington, DC
Icelandic cuisine Sun, 04/4/04 12:22 PM (permalink)
One year, during a particularly hot and humid eastern seabord summer, we took advantage of a last minute flight special and spent two weeks in Iceland. Great vacation. Since then, we have kept our eyes open for Icelandic restaurants here, but have only ever found one in Mount Dora, Florida called the Frosty Mug. The Frosty Mug offers fish and roast beef cuisine Icelandic style and has a great beer selection and really friendly staff. A great place to go -- Mount Dora itself is an antiquer's wonderland, and is a great day trip away from Disney.

But my question is, are there other Icelandic establishments out there?
 
#1
    Heartburn

    RE: Icelandic cuisine Tue, 04/13/04 4:24 PM (permalink)
    I'm in Florida and will try MT. Dora
    Also went to Iceland and had a great time.
    There must be some food places in Minnesota since Icelantic Air
    has flights there every day.
    Let's hear from someone up there.
    Sagud
     
    #2
      Jennifer_4

      • Total Posts: 1508
      • Joined: 9/19/2000
      • Location: Fresno, CA
      RE: Icelandic cuisine Tue, 04/13/04 5:23 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by marberthenad

      One year, during a particularly hot and humid eastern seabord summer, we took advantage of a last minute flight special and spent two weeks in Iceland. Great vacation. Since then, we have kept our eyes open for Icelandic restaurants here, but have only ever found one in Mount Dora, Florida called the Frosty Mug. The Frosty Mug offers fish and roast beef cuisine Icelandic style and has a great beer selection and really friendly staff. A great place to go -- Mount Dora itself is an antiquer's wonderland, and is a great day trip away from Disney.

      But my question is, are there other Icelandic establishments out there?

      Can you explain exactly what constitutes Icelandic cuisine? I'm not even sure I know where it is...
       
      #3
        Kristi S.

        • Total Posts: 712
        • Joined: 7/23/2002
        • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
        RE: Icelandic cuisine Tue, 04/13/04 5:39 PM (permalink)
        "I know a place that serves great Viking food."

        -Lt. Frank Drebin, "Police Squad"
         
        #4
          marberthenad

          • Total Posts: 509
          • Joined: 2/19/2003
          • Location: Washington, DC
          RE: Icelandic cuisine Wed, 04/14/04 6:02 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Jennifer_4

          quote:
          Originally posted by marberthenad

          One year, during a particularly hot and humid eastern seabord summer, we took advantage of a last minute flight special and spent two weeks in Iceland. Great vacation. Since then, we have kept our eyes open for Icelandic restaurants here, but have only ever found one in Mount Dora, Florida called the Frosty Mug. The Frosty Mug offers fish and roast beef cuisine Icelandic style and has a great beer selection and really friendly staff. A great place to go -- Mount Dora itself is an antiquer's wonderland, and is a great day trip away from Disney.

          But my question is, are there other Icelandic establishments out there?

          Can you explain exactly what constitutes Icelandic cuisine? I'm not even sure I know where it is...


          Basically, Icelandic cuisine is what a restaurant says it is . Seriously, though, it is a lot of fish and sauces, cheeses, open-faced sandwiches (think Nordic cuisine).
           
          #5
            Dipstick

            • Total Posts: 337
            • Joined: 8/21/2003
            • Location: Crystal, MN
            RE: Icelandic cuisine Wed, 04/14/04 10:03 AM (permalink)
            My wife and I went to Iceland four years ago. As previously mentioned, fish and sauce is the prevalent fare. Most of the food is very similar to standard Scandinavian cuisine, although the flavors tend to be more earthy. (i.e. use of bitter herbs, wild flowers, berries, etc. for seasoning)
            One thing that stands out however is the Icelandic lamb dishes. Sheep are the only livestock raised there in any quantity. The quality of the meat was superb.
            There are no "icelandic" resturants here in Minnesota that I know of, but there are plenty of eateries offering Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian fare that I'm sure would be closely compatible.
             
            #6
              Heartburn

              RE: Icelandic cuisine Wed, 06/30/04 4:16 PM (permalink)
              We tried the Frosty Mug a couple weeks ago.
              It was good but not Roadfood.
              It reminded me more of an English pub.
              One thing that can be said for it, is that it is in a celler of a building.
              Being in Florida that is very rare
              Sagud
               
              #7
                Jennie

                • Total Posts: 389
                • Joined: 8/31/2003
                • Location: Mt. Airy, MD
                RE: Icelandic cuisine Thu, 07/1/04 10:02 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Kristi S.

                "I know a place that serves great Viking food."

                -Lt. Frank Drebin, "Police Squad"


                Spam, spam, spam, spam
                Spam, spam, spam, spam
                Spammity spaaaam,
                Wonderful spaaaaaam!
                 
                #8
                  Heartburn

                  RE: Icelandic cuisine Mon, 07/12/04 10:14 AM (permalink)
                  OK,I give up!!!
                  What does all this SPAM mean.
                  Sagud
                   
                  #9
                    Spudnut

                    • Total Posts: 655
                    • Joined: 6/30/2003
                    • Location: New York, NY
                    RE: Icelandic cuisine Mon, 07/12/04 10:39 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by sagud

                    OK,I give up!!!
                    What does all this SPAM mean.
                    Sagud



                    Someone needs to catch up on their Monty Python lessons....

                    Sagud, the comedy troupe Monty Python did a bit in which every item on a menu featured Spam. Such as Spam, Spam, Spam, Eggs and Spam. Periodically, most of the folks in the restaurant would break into song about spam.

                    You kind of had to be there.

                    The VERY FIRST plane trip I ever took (at age 20) landed in Iceland, as part of a charter flight on route to France. We spent one hour in the airport, and I've been curious about Icelandic food and culture ever since. I also, believe it or not, periodically dated an Icelandic exchange student in high school. So, this thread has been of interest. Thanks.
                     
                    #10
                      Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                      Jump to:

                      Current active users

                      There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                      Icon Legend and Permission

                      • New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

                      2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com