Ideal Weight For A Burger

Author
CaryMG
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
2005/08/27 08:35:09 (permalink)

Ideal Weight For A Burger

I Say 12 OZ.
A full pound -- 16 OZ. - Would Be The Equivalent Of 2 "Double Quarter Pounder"s From You-Know-Where [The Name Of That Establishment Shall NEVER Enter My Mouth .....]
And, While Hardly A Formidable Amount, It Would Seem Like You Were Forcing It Towards The End -- Eating It In One Go

12 OZ. Is *Perfect -- Not Insubstantial Yet *Just The Right Amount In That You Feel Full & Also Like You've Just Eaten A Real Meal.

Discuss .....

17 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 08:43:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CaryMG

I Say 12 OZ.
    A full pound -- 16 OZ. - Would Be The Equivalent Of 2 "Double Quarter Pounder"s From You-Know-Where [The Name Of That Establishment Shall NEVER Enter My Mouth .....]
    And, While Hardly A Formidable Amount, It Would Seem Like You Were Forcing It Towards The End -- Eating It In One Go

12 OZ. Is *Perfect -- Not Insubstantial Yet *Just The Right Amount In That You Feel Full & Also Like You've Just Eaten A Real Meal.

Discuss .....

I'd rather have two 6 oz. burgers. Easier to cook and easier to find buns to fit. pb
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 09:17:34 (permalink)
    Presuming 20% fat, as in ground chuck, a cooked 12 oz. raw burger would weigh in at around 9.6 ounces. This is still a bit large for me for a burger. For something this size, I would top with some sauteed onions, bellpeppers, and mushrooms along with some good gravy, and have sliced tomatoes on the side. Most burgers also have too much bread, IMHO.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 10:21:15 (permalink)
    i use either 85 or 90% lean ground beef and 5-6 ozs is a great burger--but we will usually make 1/4 lb and just eat 2!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 14:19:28 (permalink)
    I'd say around 6oz cooked is right. That leaves room for the bun, cheese, the fresh l/t/o, and the pickled peppers.

Tom
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 15:07:41 (permalink)

Only becaise it sounds weird I am not sure if I'd order a "3/8th burger"!! But that 6 oz finished weight sounds about right for me. I must save some room for the Onion Rings etc that comes with it.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 17:18:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Presuming 20% fat, as in ground chuck, a cooked 12 oz. raw burger would weigh in at around 9.6 ounces. This is still a bit large for me for a burger. For something this size, I would top with some sauteed onions, bellpeppers, and mushrooms along with some good gravy, and have sliced tomatoes on the side. Most burgers also have too much bread, IMHO.
    works for me! I don't weigh my bugers but a handful of ground formed into a patty is around 6"X3/4, 4 minutes to a side with onions and bell peppers sizzlin along side,turn off heat, top with cheese and cover till melted... get some bbq beans and tater salad from the frig and dinners DONE
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/27 22:49:09 (permalink)
    At home, I make them around 8 oz (uncooked) but I don't expect this at a restaurant. Anything larger seems kind of unwieldy. I do weigh them, incidentally, as a way of dividing up the meat evenly and getting the burgers all about the same size. Usually I do this when I buy (or grind) a couple of pounds of meat, make a bunch of burgers and freeze them. I actually like to start cooking with the burgers frozen. That makes it easier to get them the way I like them: "blackened" on the outside, still raw at the very center.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/28 01:04:09 (permalink)
    It’s not so much the size of the meat patty that matters, rather the proportion of meat to fixin’s that makes a burger tasty.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4578
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/30 21:44:52 (permalink)
    6-7 ounces, preferrably chuck, preferably MR

AS an aside....I never seem to have success with fresh burgers on a grill, always seems best to freeze first in order to keep them from falling apart....
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/08/31 01:22:23 (permalink)
    My Friday night post-game burgers start out at a 1/2 pound.
    In the past I mostly stuck with blackening spices and bleu cheese dressing, but lately I've been experimenting with just salt and pepper. Top them with a couple of slices of Kroger's cheese, (they've got a White Cheddar Chipotle and another pepper-based cheese that escapes me at the moment, although both work great,) and serve them on Klosterman's buns. Since the move we haven't had a post-game yet this year, but I feel one comin' on 'round the 23rd.
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/01 00:27:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

In the past I mostly stuck with blackening spices and bleu cheese dressing, but lately I've been experimenting with just salt and pepper. Top them with a couple of slices of Kroger's cheese, (they've got a White Cheddar Chipotle and another pepper-based cheese that escapes me at the moment, although both work great,) and serve them on Klosterman's buns. Since the move we haven't had a post-game yet this year, but I feel one comin' on 'round the 23rd.
    is post anything like horseshoes?? or a board game like chutes and ladders?
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/01 00:42:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

quote:
    Originally posted by Wallyum

is post anything like horseshoes?? or a board game like chutes and ladders?

Football, although I've been known to have a post-Chutes And Ladders burger blowout. Any port in a storm.
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/01 01:23:57 (permalink)
    aahhhh foolball, I understand some people waste time playing this while waiting for the race to start, personally I prefer to wander the stands checking out the eyecandy usually while noshin on a 6doller horsemeat burger smothered in condiments or two and washing it down with 50 cents worth of adult beverage from a 8dollar plastic souvenir cup
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/01 06:19:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

aahhhh foolball, I understand some people waste time playing this while waiting for the race to start, personally I prefer to wander the stands checking out the eyecandy usually while noshin on a 6doller horsemeat burger smothered in condiments or two and washing it down with 50 cents worth of adult beverage from a 8dollar plastic souvenir cup

Been there. Done that. When Winston left I figured that the time had come for me to slip out the door with them. I liked it better when the up and coming drivers were picked based on something other than a pretty face.
    I'll stick with my HS football games. $25 for a season pass and I know the food will be the way I like it.
    dreamzpainter
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/01 12:53:27 (permalink)
    hey Highschool ball is a horse of a different color and we don't even have to mention the cheerleaders. I agree the cup series is no longer the same, the switch to nextel and the new point system are leading the way to a yuppiefication of the sport and although I watch more busch and truck races the only way I would turn to foolball over a cup race is if they spent more camara time on the cheerleaders
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/02 11:30:52 (permalink)
    A well seasoned and dressed 5 - 6 oz. is perfect for me --- I've never been a fan of the monster burgers you can barely get in your mouth and I enjoy the condiments as much as the meat: fresh lettuce (not iceberg); raw purple onions; beefsteak tomatoes; cheddar cheese; Hunt's catsup; mustard; mayonaisse and sometimes relish and I am happy

Andrea
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Ideal Weight For A Burger 2005/09/02 11:47:58 (permalink)
    1/3 pound is exactly right for me. On a butter toasted sesame seed bun with pickles, flavored mayo, and a slice of pepper jack cheese.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1