If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips

Author
slaveforpizzaandsushi
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
2012/10/29 12:27:33 (permalink)

If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips

My friend came down for a visit from London, ON. He fancies himself as a food snob, but he likes places like Applebees, Cora's, TGIF, etc. chain places. Mediocre food in clean and bright and cheery standardized places.

I told him we were going to Heather Bell which is our city's best kept secret for Fish and Chips.

We were greeted by a friendly elderly lady who cooks, cleans and handles the register..efficient and friendly.

So he orders Fish and Chips as he told me he had an hankering for it for a while, and myself, I ordered a burger.

Well, i see her cut up the potatoes, take the fish out of the fridge, batter it, and put it on the fryer and make the burger. Freshly made.

We get our food. OMG. Awesomness.

Potatoes: crispy, thick cut, and fresh--no pre-fab frozen ones.
Fish--tender and crunchy, crispy wonderful. I had a bite. He said he quite liked it.
Burger-HUGE..beefy, fresh, just salt in the meat..on a toasted kaiser with a piece of ice berg and thick cute of beefsteak tomato.

Here are the pix:
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/7845/burgero.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/219/fishh.jpg

Heather Bell Fish and Chips
1991 Ottawa St.
Windsor, ON

The decor is shabby and falling apart, but to me it has charm that i really enjoy. 

post edited by slaveforpizzaandsushi - 2012/10/29 12:41:32

8 Replies Related Threads

Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 374
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/10/29 15:55:01 (permalink)
    slaveforpizzaandsushi

My friend came down for a visit from London, ON. He fancies himself as a food snob, but he likes places like Applebees, Cora's, TGIF, etc. chain places. Mediocre food in clean and bright and cheery standardized places.

Oh no! I'm so ashamed. London is my home town!

" />

We're not all like your buddy though. I don't like any of the places he likes. My kind of place is like Heather Bell's!

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5077
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/10/30 08:05:33 (permalink)
    The burger and fish look good!
    slaveforpizzaandsushi
    Hamburger
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/10/30 14:29:00 (permalink)
    @Hepcat-- You have good taste. I like London...nice city.
    Yes..my friend was pleasantly surprised but he thought the place needed a makeover to make it look hot and trendy.
    Now, yes, the place does need some updating..not to be trendy..but parts of it are crumbling. Other than that..i would not change a thing. 

Well if you are ever down from Toronto..check it out..near the city market too
    slaveforpizzaandsushi
    Hamburger
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/10/30 14:29:51 (permalink)
    @screaming chicken--thanks..they were good..honest and good food.
    they are well know for their fish and chips.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/10/30 15:21:15 (permalink)
    Nice.  Always looking for more things to explore across the river when I'm in the Detroit area.
    slaveforpizzaandsushi
    Hamburger
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/10/31 11:30:15 (permalink)
    @kazeta--i think you will like it. Our city is famous for pizza.
    I can recommend a few places for that.

1. Vito's--trendy and popular..that aside the pizza is very very very good. It is thin crust and the chef is Italian. Not just Italian, but recently from there. 
    1731 Wyandotte Street East  Windsor, ON N8Y 1E1

2. Franco's--if you prefer regular crust jammed with toppings..all perfectly cooked.
    1545 Tecumseh Road East

3. Ukranian Restaurant
    1148 Marion Avenue--It  looks like a home from the outside, on a residential street. The Baba is getting on in years. Get there when it is high turnover..getting there close to closing times..not soo good.

stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/11/04 14:35:22 (permalink)
    slaveforpizzaandsushi he thought the place needed a makeover to make it look hot and trendy.
    No, no, no no. If that happens, it will get too busy & you'll never be able to get a table, which is the opposite of what you want.

Great pics, makes me want to head north!! 

slaveforpizzaandsushi
    Hamburger
    Re:If you are even in Windsor, ON, CANADA and want superb fish and chips 2012/11/12 14:54:08 (permalink)
    stricken_detective

slaveforpizzaandsushi he thought the place needed a makeover to make it look hot and trendy.
    No, no, no no. If that happens, it will get too busy & you'll never be able to get a table, which is the opposite of what you want.

Great pics, makes me want to head north!! 

There is good food out there...good honest and real.

I agree with you about the making the renos..it will change the charm that is there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1