If you came to my home town, I'd recommend:

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 07:43:48 (permalink)
quote:
New York Bagel & Bialy in Skokie, IL has some great fresh baked products just waiting for you the next time you head south. They also have a location in Wheeling, IL.

Skokie hey? I'll try some the next time I go to Poochie's!
Now if I can just get my wife to understand why I want to go on a hamburger roadtrip!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 08:10:12 (permalink)
I can't think of a place in Talent that makes burgers worth eating.
We've got a Thai trailer, 2 Mexi-trucks, a breakfast spot, 3 coffee stands-(1 is organic), a world class place-(new Sammy's), a plzza place, The Arbor House-family run, serving gourmet dinners, plus our grocery store has a BBQ trailer that packs 'em in, but....no hamburgers. We have a bar and a truck stop but they are frozen pattie land, so no go there. I have to drive 2 towns up to get a decent burger.
Bill
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 08:26:48 (permalink)
If you came to my home town, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I would suggest that you drive down the road 40 miles to my favorite place. the Spruce Street Sandwich Shop in Ogallala, Nebraska.

I may be repeating myself, but! Homemade breads and buns. All types of sandwiches. Hot & Cold, my favorite being the Reuben.

Huge homemade rye bun. Thinly sliced excellent corned beef piled high, several thin slices swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and fresh homemade russian dressing. Kosher dill on the side.

Homemade soups. Homemake pies to die for. From scratch top to bottom

Come on down honey!

The Lady
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 09:46:59 (permalink)
So on this happy Patty's Day, here's the Long Island "best burgers":
Cheeburger, Cheeburger, Port Washington; Yes, part of the franchise that began in Fl. Thick, juicy, tons of toppings, amazing fries and onion loaves, thick creamy shakes.
All American Burger, Massapequa; The original "side of the road" burger joint. Small tasty early McDonalds/Wetson style burgers. Get the "double double", that's the best. Fresh, hand cut fries made daily in the back of the stand. Decent hot dogs and shakes.
Leo's bar, Garden City; The closest thing to a real life "Cheers". The bacon cheeseburger is a classic - juicy, tasty with the melted cheese ooozing down the burger. Good ribs and a nice selection of draft beers.
Henry's Inn, New Hyde Park; Ooooooooh, sauteed onions on a thick, juicy burger with good tasty fries! Good beers on tap also!
There are plenty more places here to grab a 'burger, but when I'm feeling like I need one, these places never disappoint!
Mitchell25418
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 10:15:53 (permalink)
If you're ever in Bronx NY/Washington Heights the best Burgers ar at Pipers Kilt. They also have great wings and freezing cold draft beer. Great place to watch the Yankees on a humid July afternoon.
Mitchell25418
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 10:17:36 (permalink)
Forgot to mention, in NYC go to Mchales on 8th Ave. Great burger, great Pub!
wesleyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/21 13:36:08 (permalink)
In Cincinnati there are plenty of great burgers but three places are tops.

1. Salem Garden's. Sure people say Zip's is better. Those people are wrong. Salem Garden makes a delicious burger. Thick, well done fresh toppings. So tasty.

2. Zip's. While not AS good as Salem Garden, The Zips burger is an institution and is tremendous. Get the girth burger with a grilled Mett on top.

3. J&J's. Youll feel like you just walked into an episode of the Rockford Files entering this establishment which as not changed a single bit since I was a kid in the 70's. The best thing that has not changed is a tremendous double cheeseburger. THe fries with cheese and the chef salad are must haves at J&J's as well.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/22 05:12:34 (permalink)
This would be a great tour!!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 11:16:10 (permalink)
No place to get a burger in Knightstown, just antique shops, so I go to Indianapolis to eat. Two that I've mentioned before are :

1. Workingman's Friend ( best double cheeseburger in town)

2. 96th Street Steakburgers ( Indy's version of In-N-Out, get one
monster style ).
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2016
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 14:43:10 (permalink)
If you were in the Worcester, Mass area we have some very good places that I have posted about in the past, but no really great burgers that I know of. IMO, a great burger is fresh meat, hand formed, on a special bun with fresh lettuce, tomato, cheese etc. The chains,(ouch, I can feel the arrows) do a decent enough job on plain simple burgers. I want something better. If I am going to a destination just for a burger, I want one that is a cut above. My most recent great burger was in CT, at one of the places listed in the RF book. Not all CT burgers are great. I recently had a burger at a fairly famous place (listed in Zagut) that is not listed in the RF book. It was just a frozen hockey puck, on an ordinary wholesale bun. I can get those at Wendy's or McDs. Speaking of chains, we don't even have the "good" chains here. We do NOT have Fat Burger, Fudruckers, In n Out, Whataburger, or even Hardees. Just as well, I guess.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 14:57:28 (permalink)
I would take a visitor to KC to Town Topic for people watching, Johnny C's for really good fries and Hayes Hamburgers because they are very nice people. My father was a regular at Hayes and when he died the staff sent beautiful flowers to our family. All three places have good food.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 15:21:35 (permalink)
quote:
Not all CT burgers are great. Speaking of chains, we don't even have the "good" chains here. We do NOT have Fat Burger, Fudruckers, In n Out, Whataburger, or even Hardees.

Sorry but I've yet to find any chain that serves a great hamburger. For me, it usually the bun or roll.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 15:43:19 (permalink)
You stop at chicken king. Chicken fit for a king. I dont think its a chain since theres only 2 locations in waterford,mi and farmington,mi, both owned by the same guy who is one of my buddies. great ribs,chicken,fish,shrimp,etc. BBQ pork chops are one of a kind.
ZekeTheCat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 16:21:22 (permalink)
West Lafayette was my home for several years while going to Purdue University -
Triple X Restaurant has long been famous for their steakburgers and other reletively cheap good food - been around since the 1930's - and has a cult like following amongst many Purdue alumni, students and locals. Bruno's (formerly Bruno's Swiss Inn) also has a similar following for their pizza and other great food - been around since the mid 50's.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 16:38:58 (permalink)
The Blue Moon on Old University Ave. No contest. Try the chef's chowder on Tuesday.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 17:21:13 (permalink)
ggl
quote:
Originally posted by Rapunzll

I live in Traverse City, Michigan, and I would say check out the following:

Grand Traverse Pie Company http://www.gtpie.com/

Cousin Jennys Pasties

Moomers ice cream

Folgarelli's Market has great sandwiches and really great and unusual grocery items http://www.folgarellis.com/

Cherry Republic near Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is also worth a stop http://www.cherryrepublic.com/store/home.asp

Edited because I forgot the Underground Cheesecake Company! http://www.undergroundcheesecake.com/

Years ago, (approx 18 or 19 years ago) was the last time I visited Traverse City, at that time there was a GREAT Drive-in called "Don's Drive-in, it had really Good Hamburgers. Since this thread started out talking about Hambugers and You didn't mentioned Don's, I am figuring that Don's is gone. Is this correct?
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 21:04:13 (permalink)
I have seen a dons somewhere near traverse city.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/01 21:11:47 (permalink)
In Oakland Park, (Fort Lauderdale), Florida,
http://www.hollyeats.com/JacksBurgers.htm
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/02 09:25:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeTheCat

Triple X Restaurant has long been famous for their steakburgers and other reletively cheap good food - been around since the 1930's - and has a cult like following amongst many Purdue alumni, students and locals. Bruno's (formerly Bruno's Swiss Inn) also has a similar following for their pizza and other great food - been around since the mid 50's.

Triple X was a national chain of root beer stands in the 30's. They used a giant root beer barrel on their roof as their trademark.
XXX was the rating system for quality, XXX meaning the best.
Besides the one in West Lafayette, only one other XXX is still around (in Washington state, Ipswich or something like that).
The one at Purdue is one of the few places that I can find a Boston Shake also. I thought Shake N Shake was bringing them out when they advertized their sippable sundaes, but they turned out to be a milk shake with sundae toppings on it.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/02 09:41:35 (permalink)
In St. Louis, the best burger places would be (in no particular order)

Connell's on Kingshighway
Tucker's in Soulard
Carl's Drive In on Manchester
Blueberry Hill on The Loop
Pat's Bar and Grill in Dogtown
Seamus McDaniel's also in Dogtown
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/04/02 10:59:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

quote:
Originally posted by ZekeTheCat

Triple X was a national chain of root beer stands in the 30's. They used a giant root beer barrel on their roof as their trademark.
XXX was the rating system for quality, XXX meaning the best.
Besides the one in West Lafayette, only one other XXX is still around (in Washington state, Ipswich or something like that).
The one at Purdue is one of the few places that I can find a Boston Shake also. I thought Shake N Shake was bringing them out when they advertized their sippable sundaes, but they turned out to be a milk shake with sundae toppings on it.

What is a good boston shake, in the 1960's and 1970's Tastee Freezze had what they called a Boston Shake, it was a shake with a Sundae on top!
Rab Dalas
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 04:33:37 (permalink)
Near Greenville, SC, you just gotta try Joy's Cafe in Liberty. Huge delicious burger loaded however you wish. Only open 6 am to 2 pm, and most days a cheeseburger is the first sale and the last sale of the day.

Spartanburg, a few miles north, has the world-famous Beacon, where a Chili-Cheese-A-Plenty will clog your arteries in record time. That's some good eating.

Sadly, the small town where I live has nothing-zero-zip to recommend.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 05:10:00 (permalink)
Where I Grew Up.....

Pine Bluff,Arkansas-Arthurs BBQ, Irish Maid Donuts and Arnolds Catfish

Where I lived the last 20 Years.....

Long Beach,California-Chris-N-Pits BBQ and In&Out Brger

Where I Live Now........

Victorville,California-Just Keep On Going!

Big Glenn
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 06:16:37 (permalink)
Ft. Thomas Pizza. Closest thing to the Pasquales of my youth and nice people to boot. I like the irregular shape that the pies have, unlike the blast-frozen or pan shaped creations that the competition has. My kids love the bacon-cheese fries, but they do need to do something about their iced tea. (Good tea is too easy to make and day-old tea should never be an option.)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 07:45:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wesleyman

In Cincinnati there are plenty of great burgers but three places are tops.

1. Salem Garden's. Sure people say Zip's is better. Those people are wrong. Salem Garden makes a delicious burger. Thick, well done fresh toppings. So tasty.

2. Zip's. While not AS good as Salem Garden, The Zips burger is an institution and is tremendous. Get the girth burger with a grilled Mett on top.

3. J&J's. Youll feel like you just walked into an episode of the Rockford Files entering this establishment which as not changed a single bit since I was a kid in the 70's. The best thing that has not changed is a tremendous double cheeseburger. THe fries with cheese and the chef salad are must haves at J&J's as well.
I have to confess ignorance here - where is J&J's?

Also, let me say I feel Zips shouldnt even be on the list. Try Quatmans or Indian Mound Cafe on the north side of Norwood.....

One of my fave burgers in Cincinnati is to be had at the sole remaining Cincy-area Roy Roger's, in Eastgate. The building is becoming rather decrepit, but the burgers remain top notch.

Edit: near as I can tell, by the[URL='http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/Index.cfm/mode/locator.htm']locator page[/URL] on the Roy Roger's website, it's the only Roy Rogers for hundreds of miles around!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15305
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 08:31:45 (permalink)

My favorite ice cream treat in those grey memory days of the past was the Boston Shake. We got them at Tastee Freeze and Foster Freeze in SoCal. They were indeed a thick shake with a sundae built onto the top. The ads i see for the Steak-n-Shake looks a bit like them. I will force myself to do a taste test and report back.

Note to Glen- Have you tried the Farmer Boys on Hesperia Rd at Nisqualli in V V ? I haven't been to that particular store, but have hit several other Farmer Boys. If it measures up I'd like to know! BTW Remembering where you worked when we met for BBQ last year, are you communting to your employment location from VV. That would be quite a ride!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 12:47:51 (permalink)
In Gainesville.....Mr. Han for Chinese, Brick Oven for pizza, Copper Monkey for an awesome burger or sandwich, and Las Margaritas or La Tienda Latina(also a market)for Mexican,for country style, Mulberry Landing in Alachua, Conestogas for steaks in Alachua as well. For gator, vension, frog legs, quail,(steak also) etc. The Yearling in Cross Creek(home of Marjorie Kinan Rawlings).
Macdaddy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/05/24 16:30:57 (permalink)
hello all,

If you came to Missoula Montana, I would send you to the "Mo Club" for the best burger in town.
A double with hot pepper cheese with a side of "white" cheese, pickle, onion hot mustard and plenty os S&P.
And a real chocolate milkshake in the steel container to wash it down.
nirvana.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1