If you came to my home town, I'd recommend:

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
2005/03/15 09:53:16 (permalink)

If you came to my home town, I'd recommend:

I think Mazo's on S. 27th St. here in Milwaukee is tops. Freshly ground meat, it has everything I enjoy. The followup would be the Night Owl on Layton near the airport. Elvis had his last Milwaukee hamburger there. Solly's has butter and is very tasty but the meat itself is weak. A trip to Sheboygan for a hamburger on their hard roll is a welcome road trip.

57 Replies Related Threads

AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 10:19:38 (permalink)
    If you ever pass through Versailles, KY, a stop at Wilson's Pool Hall for a "Willy Burger" and onion rings is a *must*. It's been here forever and years ago women did not go in but picked up their food from a window out back. Today, of course, everyone goes in and it's a swivel chair and counter type place where you can enjoy their unbeatable burgers, watch them cook to order, watch the people play pool, and listen to all the gossip. Whenever the door opens everyone turns their heads to see who's coming in! The burgers and onion rings / fries are served to you on wax paper and they are incredibly good.

Andrea
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 10:36:22 (permalink)
    If you visited my town of Cedar Falls, IA -- I'd send you to The Other Place, known to locals as The O.P. Order a pizza and a pint or two of Newcastle, and you'll be quite happy. If you want something a little fancier, but not too fancy, go to The Brown Bottle on the north side of town. Good italian-style food, and yummy prime rib.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 10:47:30 (permalink)
    In Columbia, SC two places stand out...

Willy's right downtown - wonderful place to dine outside on a spring or fall day (get a bit sticky here in summer). Great burgers and fried whole catfish for those who like something different. Boiled peanuts on every table.

Rockaway's - those who love 'menner cheese (Pimento cheese spread - a passion in these part) will love a burger slathered in it. Great fried 'shrooms or fried just about anything else to go with it!
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 10:59:20 (permalink)
    Fresno, CA is definitely the place for authentic homemade Mexican food, I have 4 places within walking distance.. (we have over 200 Mexican restaurants in town)I would recommend Robertito's (open 24/7) for the hottest, tastiest Chile Verde you'd ever want.. Maria's Taco Shop also stands out...

We also have George's for great Armenian food, The Basque Hotel (obvious), Chicken Man (German Fried Chicken!), Imperial Garden (Dim Sum), Suzi's Cafe (Korean Short Ribs), Tomo's (Chicken Bowls), BS Coffee Shop (breakfast, lunch specials, and atmosphere), The Grape Tray (sandwiches), Cattlemen's for great steaks, ribs, and tumbleweed onions, and Hin's Kitchen for eggrolls and fried rice.. there are other places but I'm half asleep right now.. hehhe..
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 12:30:59 (permalink)
    Not yet having tried Rockaway's, my favorite hamburger/cheeseburger in Columbia - so far - is from Rupert's Blue Dog Cafe at the corner of Gervais and Main streets. Thick and juicy and delicious. Their "raw fries" (homemade chips) are the best anywhere. The atmosphere could be termed "hippie-funky" or downright gross, depending on your attitude.

I love it.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 14:51:53 (permalink)
    I do lunch at Rupert's fairly often as I work right across street. They do have a pretty darned good burger! And love the service :)
    huntryce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 15:17:38 (permalink)
    We're neighbors then. I'm not far from Blue Dog either. Their waiter is one really zoned out young man. Hey, did Rockaway's suffer in quality after reopening? I've heard mixed reviews.

Have you been to the Mouse Trap down in Middleburg Plaza lately? They used to have good burgers, but it's been years since I've been there.

Eddie's on Assembly is not bad but I'm not a big onion ring fan.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 15:22:20 (permalink)
    I live in Traverse City, Michigan, and I would say check out the following:

Grand Traverse Pie Company http://www.gtpie.com/

Cousin Jennys Pasties

Moomers ice cream

Folgarelli's Market has great sandwiches and really great and unusual grocery items http://www.folgarellis.com/

Cherry Republic near Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is also worth a stop http://www.cherryrepublic.com/store/home.asp

Edited because I forgot the Underground Cheesecake Company! http://www.undergroundcheesecake.com/
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 15:45:39 (permalink)
    I'm assuming that since this is in the "Hamburger" forum that I'm supposed to just stick with Hamburgers. So, visitors to Los Angeles I recommend the following:

The original Tommy's.
    The Apple Pan.
    Pie & Burger (actually in Pasadena).
    Yuca's Hut (note: I have not had a burger here but it always ends up on the best burger list. I can say that they do have the best carne asada burrito and cochinita pibil taco so the burgers are probably pretty good.)

I'm not putting In 'N Out on the list because the last five times that I've eaten at one of them the food has been dry and tasteless. I think that they are so popular and busy that the quality is just not keeping up with the demand.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 15:56:57 (permalink)
    If you came to my hometown, I'd recommend a burger at my parents house. My dad make the best burgers ever. They only come one way - with lots of salt and pepper, Claussen's dill pickles and sauted onions. The burger will be about an inch thick and cooked to medium doneness. Man, I am drooling now!
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 16:11:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

I think Mazo's on S. 27th St. here in Milwaukee is tops. Freshly ground meat, it has everything I enjoy. The followup would be the Night Owl on Layton near the airport. Elvis had his last Milwaukee hamburger there. Solly's has butter and is very tasty but the meat itself is weak. A trip to Sheboygan for a hamburger on their hard roll is a welcome road trip.

FoodLover,

I used to work for a company in Milwaukee 15 years ago I think it was around S 16th St. One of the first Kohl's stores I ever saw was right nearby. But there was a little tavern on the corner called Karlovich's that I just loved. I'm sure they serve hamburgers, I don't think I ever had one. I had some great meatloaf, and steak tartare, and other things as well.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 20:03:48 (permalink)
    Karlovich moved to 37th & Mitchell and has now retired. In it's place is a Roadfood-type special steakhouse called The Jackson Grill.
    Any readers that go to Green Bay should have a burger at Kroll's, with one location right across from Lambeau Field. There is a little town near Denmark WI called Fontenoy that has amazing butter burgers.
    I believe the bar/restaurant which is called Basil's II is Fontenoy as there doesn't seem much else nearby. There are a number of frozen custard stands in Milwaukee, each with their supporters but the two leaders seem to be Kopp's and Leon's. Well Mazo's is right across the street from Leon's.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3304
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/15 23:38:37 (permalink)
    Kewpee's in Racine serves a fabulous cheeseburger. www.kewpee.com The Spot Drive-In in Kenosha is Kewpee's equal.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 15:11:22 (permalink)
    For Burgers---just got me a new favorite---well i have two really--In Muskogee--Mimi's Place---newly opened---burgers-fries-hot dogs---Killer burgers---i havent tried the dogs as i hold little faith in finding a good dog around here---the burgers though are great--BIG hand formed and juicy!!! I usually order the double bacon cheese--wont do that next time---the single is PLENTY!!!! Good hand cut fries too! Run by Mimi--a grandmother who got bored and her sister---with here retired husband carrying stuff,picking up supplies and emptying trash! I intend to do all i can to keep them in business!!!! then there is the Jumbo burger plate at J M's in Eufalla---a 1/2 lb beauty cooked to order with tons of Fries and all the sweet tea you can handle for $6.50!!!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 15:56:12 (permalink)
    If you would came to my town, I would take you to EW Beck's, a wonderful, friendly, restaurant in the small village of Sykesville, MD. This is their discription of their burgers:
    The Beck Burger!!
    "Here's the beef!!" We grill this monster to order and top it with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and onions if you like. Add up to 3 of our toppings listed below to complete your order. Choose our half-pound size, or for the heartier appetite, try THE POUNDER!!! (please allow ample time to prepare medium-well to well done burgers.)
    8 oz. /$5.95
    16 oz. /$8.95

Toppings: cheddar, american, swiss, provolone, monterey jack, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, bacon, grilled ham, BBQ sauce, bleu cheese

They are cooked perfectly, to your taste, and they serve more french fries (not great, but really nice and hot) on your platter than anyone should ever try to finish.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 16:00:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

If you would came to my town, I would take you to EW Beck's, a wonderful, friendly, restaurant in the small village of Sykesville, MD. This is their discription of their burgers:
    The Beck Burger!!
    "Here's the beef!!" We grill this monster to order and top it with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and onions if you like. Add up to 3 of our toppings listed below to complete your order. Choose our half-pound size, or for the heartier appetite, try THE POUNDER!!! (please allow ample time to prepare medium-well to well done burgers.)
    8 oz. /$5.95
    16 oz. /$8.95

Toppings: cheddar, american, swiss, provolone, monterey jack, sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, bacon, grilled ham, BBQ sauce, bleu cheese

They are cooked perfectly, to your taste, and they serve more french fries (not great, but really nice and hot) on your platter than anyone should ever try to finish.

Half pounder-sauted onions-bacon and blue cheese please---and i'll be right over!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 17:29:24 (permalink)
    This is an easy question if you came to the Allentown PA area for a good hamburger. I'd send you to Wert's Cafe, on North 18th Street, a small family owned restaurant (since the 1960's) with bar a couple of blocks away from the Fairgrounds Farmers' Market. Their burgers are the right mix of fat and lean cuts, made from fresh beef, never frozen, as are their fries. Don't forget a side of their thinly sliced onion rings, which are the very thinly sliced type with a light coating, not the breaded kind.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 17:41:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

The Beck Burger!!
    8 oz. /$5.95
    16 oz. /$8.95

Half pounder-sauted onions-bacon and blue cheese please---and i'll be right over!

Man, make that two, please. That one sounds awesome!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 17:47:06 (permalink)
    In Portland, Oregon I would recommend Stanich"s WGH or the Tillamook Cheesebuger from Burgerville.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 18:34:46 (permalink)
    "If you came to my home town, I'd recommend":

That you travel south for about 40 miles to Tallahassee, FL if in need of a decent style meal.

P.S. to Sundancer:

The oysters were EXCELLENT. How was your meal... ??

olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 19:50:22 (permalink)
    If you came to Houston, the first place I’d send you is Cajun Town Café on W. Little York. They have great fried seafood, but my favorite is grilled snapper topprd with shrimp, crawfish and mushrooms in a cream cheese sauce (#4 topping). It a good amount of food at an excellent price.

For Mexican food, I’d send you to Papasito’s for the fajitas.
    For BBQ, Williams Smokehouse.
    For hamburgers, Lankford Grocery.
    For pizza, Colina’s in the Heights.
    For meat and veggies and the best fried chicken I know of, Ryan’s Steakhouse on W. 34th.
    For sushi, I’d send you to a spot about 50 miles due south of Galveston!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 19:59:27 (permalink)
    Well, I consider Merrick NY to be my hometown and these are the places that I would recommend:

-Pastrami King one of the best Pastrami and Corned beef Sandwiches I've had in a while.
    -Violetta's for fresh delicious pizza by the slice- just about all pizza places in the NYC area always have Pizza by the slice. Great Heros too.
    -East Bay Diner in nearby Bellmore- Hearty Breakfast. The feta and spinach omelette is a favorite.
    -Bagel Plaza for Big Doughy fresh bagels
    -The Lido Deli in nearby Long Beach for out of this world Knishes and kosher hot dogs.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 20:13:09 (permalink)
    That's interesting about the bagels. Years back, Milwaukee had a number of NY style bagel and bialy shops. The bagels were boiled first before baking and bore little resemblance to the big, doughy things now being sold as bagels. As for bialy's; its been twenty years since I had one. For those of you who don't know what they are; they're an baked, unboiled bagel with an indentation filled with minced garlic or onions instead of a hole. Like my double baked crusty onion rye from Lou's Bakery, I fear I may never again have a real bialy.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 20:19:30 (permalink)
    quote:

That's interesting about the bagels. Years back, Milwaukee had a number of NY style bagel and bialy shops. The bagels were boiled first before baking and bore little resemblance to the big, doughy things now being sold as bagels. As for bialy's; its been twenty years since I had one. For those of you who don't know what they are; they're an baked, unboiled bagel with an indentation filled with minced garlic or onions instead of a hole. Like my double baked crusty onion rye from Lou's Bakery, I fear I may never again have a real bialy.

Oh believe me, I know what you mean. These bagels are not "light and airy" like most of the cookie cutter ones that you see. There are doughy, yet leaden and substantial, just like the bagels of old!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 20:19:56 (permalink)
    In Round Rock, TX, good burgers can be found at:

Ward's Cafe & Mini-Storage (formerly Mom's)
    Little Red Wagon (formerly Little Red Barn)
    Up the road in Hutto, there's Snuffy's (they also have killer fries)
    Just north of here there's the Weir Country Store in Weir, TX
    Also, the Monument Cafe in Georgetown north of here serves a really tasty burger made with domestic Kobe beef. Yummy.

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 22:28:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh believe me, I know what you mean. These bagels are not "light and airy" like most of the cookie cutter ones that you see. There are doughy, yet leaden and substantial, just like the bagels of old!

I LOVE that description! When my Dad was found to have adult onset diabetes, and needed to change his diet, he asked his doctor if he could have a bagel...his doctor said to eat toast...when he asked why toast was better than a bagel the doctor said, which one would you rather have hit you in the head. The word "leaden" made me think of that and chuckle.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3304
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 23:37:58 (permalink)
    quote:

New York Bagel & Bialy in Skokie, IL has some great fresh baked products just waiting for you the next time you head south. They also have a location in Wheeling, IL.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/16 23:48:52 (permalink)
    In the Burbs of Grand Rapids MI., I'd suggest Lena Lous in Ada... Damn good tasty burger... Place is a little rough in it's old age, but the food is great!
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: If you came to my home town, I'd recommend: 2005/03/17 06:41:29 (permalink)
    If you came to my other home in Bastrop, I'd send you to Baxter's on Main for a hamburger.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1