If you drop...

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2013/10/10 17:15:39 (permalink)

If you drop...

A prime hunk of whatever, on the floor, do you still eat it after careful examination, or wash it off and eat it, or throw it away? Tell the truth...Me, I automatically dump it!

16 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3478
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/10 17:33:52 (permalink)
    Depends on the floor. In my kitchen, odds are good I'll either blow it off or rinse it off, then eat it. (Not always, but often.) Elsewhere, I'll more than likely end up throwing it away, because I don't know how clean other people keep their floors.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10209
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 01:50:21 (permalink)
    I'm 72.
    I've eaten stuff off the floor all my life.
    I sit on toilet seats without those paper doilies.
    I'm still alive!

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 02:08:49 (permalink)
    Raw in the kitchen (meat, not me) I'll wash it off.

Cooked I'll probably do the same thing.  Have you seen what is on your BBQ grill even after you've cleaned it?

I'm broke!  I can't be throwing away prime anything.
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1846
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 07:37:20 (permalink)
    My kitchen floor is pretty clean.  Usually.  If the meat/vege is raw I'll wash it off and continue on, no doubt about it.  If it was already cooked and ready for plating... It's a toss up.  Depends on the item in question.

I have a cast iron stomach though.  I owe this to my Mom who exposed us to all kinds questionable leftovers and cross contamination growing up. 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 16:16:09 (permalink)
    Tom

We talking in a "professional" setting or "home" setting??

Home - wash it off and eat it ( I have linoleum floors so no carpet lint)

Professional - I would hope pitch it, but I have too often seen "professionals" pick it off the floor either blow on it or rinse it and then use whatever it is.

CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 17:59:59 (permalink)
    At home "5 second" rule applies, that is if the dogs or the cat doesn't get it first get it first.

My mother ate a fly once, just to show us that it wouldn't hurt you. My mother was a lousy cook. Come to think of it that fly may have been the best thing that she ever fixed to eat.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6765
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 18:00:31 (permalink)
    My kitchen floor at home is very clean so I would use it.  In a restaurant kitchen, I'd toss it.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8326
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/11 20:50:14 (permalink)
    Yes, Lisa-in a professional situation- never serve food from the floor. When it comes to Bob...well 4 second rule!!!!!Or perhaps a 10 second rule......just kidding, all! I was accused of cooking food too hot-but it was what it should be.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 791
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/18 13:26:25 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I'm 72.
    I've eaten stuff off the floor all my life.
    I sit on toilet seats without those paper doilies.
    I'm still alive!

I'm with you. Wipe it off, rinse it if need be and go for it. I'm one of those folks who think people worry way to much about  such stuff. I'm more concerned about something that has been sitting out in a hot kitchen all day.

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/18 14:59:52 (permalink)

A prime hunk of whatever......this line is why I never asked you to do my menus................I would eat it, but, I need to be fast because the dogs are always close by..............I'll be dammed if they win...........pnwc
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/18 15:02:02 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Yes, Lisa-in a professional situation- never serve food from the floor. When it comes to Bob...well 4 second rule!!!!!Or perhaps a 10 second rule......just kidding, all! I was accused of cooking food too hot-but it was what it should be.

I'm calling Bob to let him know to check his food.............
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/18 15:17:49 (permalink)
    What people seem to forget is that 'foods', from the farm to the consumer, grows in the dirt.   Pigs like wallering in the mud hole which ant all water & dirt.  It's pee & sh't.    ... The farmer & processor has to clean the produce to remove bugs, dirt, feces of animals, rodents, & bugs and any partially eaten produce. The meatpacker has to wash the animal outside and inside to remove dirt & feces to make it safe for the consumer to eat.

When I was oversea working, it wasn't uncommon to buy packaged rice or dry beans that had bug or worms in it at the big stores.    You poured the product in a bowl of water and skimmed off everything that floated.   ... It you did it good then no problem, but if you were sloppy then the extra cooked protein wont hurt you. 

Here in the US, the consumer is use to produce being delivered to the store (supposedly) ready to eat.   ... then why does the FDA & CDC have to keep tracking down where contaminated lettuce, broccoli, carrots, ect come from ???? 

A GOOD COOK knows how to inspect & clean produce and meat to make sure it is eatable.  A porterhouse steak on the floor for 15 seconds is not rotten.   Clean the sand (grass ??) off of it just as the meatpacker did then cook it in a hot (sterile) pan.

I admit in the commercial kitchen this is more about perception of cleanliness and in the fast moving kitchen the cook doesn't have time to re-clean a $30 steak; but the steak is not ruined.

So this topic makes me laugh when someone start talking about a 10 sec rule  ...  when the pig has spent his whole life laying in sh't; the barn lot cows knee deep piss & feces;  ... fresh milk has to have the hair & blood strained from it then pasteurized (this is not the same as sterilized) & bottled.   ... Beans & grains are washed to float the bugs and worms off before being packaged and sent to the grocery store shelf.

... Now today's cooks don't know how to clean a little sand off one side of the sliced boloney that fell on the floor ...... yes throw it away and get another one and buy more at the store.   The farmer loves you.

post edited by edwmax - 2013/10/18 15:27:40
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/18 17:10:30 (permalink)
    Oh  ... please pass the GIN   ... that's for me if the cook doesn't know how to clean produce and believe the 'read-to-labels' on the store packages of produce.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 791
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/19 09:16:28 (permalink)
    edwmax

What people seem to forget is that 'foods', from the farm to the consumer, grows in the dirt.   Pigs like wallering in the mud hole which ant all water & dirt.  It's pee & sh't.    ... The farmer & processor has to clean the produce to remove bugs, dirt, feces of animals, rodents, & bugs and any partially eaten produce. The meatpacker has to wash the animal outside and inside to remove dirt & feces to make it safe for the consumer to eat.

When I was oversea working, it wasn't uncommon to buy packaged rice or dry beans that had bug or worms in it at the big stores.    You poured the product in a bowl of water and skimmed off everything that floated.   ... It you did it good then no problem, but if you were sloppy then the extra cooked protein wont hurt you. 

Here in the US, the consumer is use to produce being delivered to the store (supposedly) ready to eat.   ... then why does the FDA & CDC have to keep tracking down where contaminated lettuce, broccoli, carrots, ect come from ???? 

A GOOD COOK knows how to inspect & clean produce and meat to make sure it is eatable.  A porterhouse steak on the floor for 15 seconds is not rotten.   Clean the sand (grass ??) off of it just as the meatpacker did then cook it in a hot (sterile) pan.

I admit in the commercial kitchen this is more about perception of cleanliness and in the fast moving kitchen the cook doesn't have time to re-clean a $30 steak; but the steak is not ruined.

So this topic makes me laugh when someone start talking about a 10 sec rule  ...  when the pig has spent his whole life laying in sh't; the barn lot cows knee deep piss & feces;  ... fresh milk has to have the hair & blood strained from it then pasteurized (this is not the same as sterilized) & bottled.   ... Beans & grains are washed to float the bugs and worms off before being packaged and sent to the grocery store shelf.

... Now today's cooks don't know how to clean a little sand off one side of the sliced boloney that fell on the floor ...... yes throw it away and get another one and buy more at the store.   The farmer loves you.

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/19 09:58:54 (permalink)
    I was concerned that a restauranteur was asking this question and happy to find out that chewingthefat tosses dropped food in the trash.

I watched an episode of Chopped several years ago where one of the competitors dropped a piece of meat in view of the judges. He then picked it up, cooked it, and served it to the judges. He did not win.

At home I would usually rinse and use raw dropped items depending on where it is dropped (clean floor - yes, on the deck - trash) and cost of the item.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18371
    Re:If you drop... 2013/10/19 12:45:28 (permalink)
    A long time ago there was a restaurant in Old Lyme, Connecticut called Ferry Tavern. It caught fire and burned to the ground back in 1971. Joe and Jim Viveiros owned the restaurant for years and it was the only restaurant  with a kitchen so clean I'd not only eat something dropped on the floor, I'd relish it if it sat there for an hour.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1