If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for?

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8333
2011/07/22 10:43:16 (permalink)

If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for?

What would turn you off to those who apply?

Would you turn down smokers?

Tatoos or piercings?

Is experience needed or would you be willing to train someone?

11 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/22 11:53:58 (permalink)
    No raw recruits, Tatoo Ok to an extent, no piercing above the neck, except ear. Piercing = stupidity, IMHO. I look for people who actually want to work in a Kitchen. Paycheck motivation alone, doesn't impress me. No druggies or alcohol problems need apply. Honesty #1
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/22 12:10:02 (permalink)
    Since I am a smoker myself, I would only turn down smokers if they didn't have their habit under control.  (That they couldn't wait until scheduled breaks to smoke.)

I would turn down tattoos if they were large, obvious, and couldn't be easily covered by normal clothing.  Piercings of ears and body parts covered by normal clothing (for example, belly buttons) would be OK, but absolutely no lip, tongue or nose piercings.  I find that lip, tongue and nose piercings not only cause me but also others to lose their appetite.  Eyebrow piercings would only be acceptable if they were tiny and discreet.

I would be more than willing to train help (and I would look for applicants that were willing to learn), since experienced help might or might not be trained to my liking in the methods and procedures that I felt most important.  It is impossibly difficult to re-train someone who has "been doing it this way for years".
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 815
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/22 13:40:50 (permalink)
    mar52

What would turn you off to those who apply?

Would you turn down smokers?

Tatoos or piercings?

Is experience needed or would you be willing to train someone?

Are we talking foh or boh? I've worked with some pretty tat covered folks in the kitchen before.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4566
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/22 14:20:27 (permalink)
    This is a good question for the HR people at Hooters.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7316
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/22 17:33:31 (permalink)
    Visible piercings (except ears), visible tatoos, unkempt hair, unkempt nails and no, I will not train anybody.  I'm not running a cooking school, I'm running a restaurant.  I will give a new employee the recipes but I expect them to be able to execute without my supervision.   
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/22 20:30:20 (permalink)
    So where does one begin?  I'm not looking... just wondering.

I agree with the tattoos and piercings.  Ten plus years ago I hired a kid with tattoos.  I am not in the food business.  When he pierced his eyebrow it was quite the novel thing at the time and I asked him if he could put a Band-Aid over it when he went to a customer's house.  He had no problem with that and eventually I got used to it and it didn't matter any more.

When my niece came home from Brandeis with a thing in her eyebrow my 4 year old niece started to cry.

She didn't want to go to school if she had to do that to her eyebrow.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3618
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/23 03:00:56 (permalink)
    fishtaco

Are we talking foh or boh? I've worked with some pretty tat covered folks in the kitchen before.

That's what I was thinking. In the kitchen a lot more things go than those dealing directly with customers.

Me, I don't care about tattoos or piercings or bizarre hair colour (or cuts) if someone is good at their job. But then I work in the entertainment industry.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8666
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/23 03:35:41 (permalink)
    Jewelry of most kinds are forbidden in Wisconsin. Only a plain wedding band and simple earrings are allowed in our restaurant. And most others I have worked in. I do not at all mind a tasteful nose piercing( a tiny diamond stud) or tatoos, as long as they are not all over-face, etc.. Bob happens to have tatoos up both his forearms, and he has never been denied a job. As a matter of fact, when he was working in China, they revered him(dragons)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/23 04:53:27 (permalink)
    I'm a conservative, old school Guy. That being said, it depends on what kind of place your running and the clientele you're trying to attract as far as appearance goes. What's acceptable in a college kid or beach bar is different than a fine dining place. Either way, reference and background checks, drug testing a MUST. Drug users will steal you blind.
    No more than 3 jobs in last 5 years unless the place closed. Dependable transportation, public or private.
    Some qualities other than appearance.
    Front of house:
    1. NON-SMOKERS ONLY! Smokers stink when they come in or back from a break. Non-Smoking customers are put off by it.
    2. Outgoing personality 
    3. Friendly positive demeanor
    4. Customer Services Oriented
    5. Dependable, prompt, responsible
    6. Willing to help Team mates attitude, hustles when busy
    7. Adequate Intelligence and Verbal Communication skills
    8. Willing to continue learning new skills to provide beyond expectations service.
    9. Experience varies depending on needs. 
    Back of house:
    1. Dependable, Dependable, Dependable.
    2. Did I mention Dependable?
    3. Takes pride in their work
    4. Works well as a team
    5. Experience depends on needs and menu. Not all Newbees.
    6. Cross-trainable
    7. Conscientious with food health standards
    8. Hustles, quick response time. 
    I was a Recruiter for over 20 years and developed in-depth interviewing skills and learned the importance of doing quality interviewing and reference checking. Learn to Peel the Onion Baby and save yourself a lot of grief and problems later on.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/23 05:03:02
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/23 05:11:45 (permalink)
    joerogo
    This is a good question for the HR people at Hooters.

Speaking of---The Miss Hooters Beauty Pageant was on TV tonight. I believe it was held in the Silicone Valley!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:If you were hiring staff in the food industry what would you look for? 2011/07/23 11:18:49 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I'm a conservative, old school Guy. That being said, it depends on what kind of place your running and the clientele you're trying to attract as far as appearance goes. What's acceptable in a college kid or beach bar is different than a fine dining place. Either way, reference and background checks, drug testing a MUST. Drug users will steal you blind.
    No more than 3 jobs in last 5 years unless the place closed. Dependable transportation, public or private.
    Some qualities other than appearance.
    Front of house:
    1. NON-SMOKERS ONLY! Smokers stink when they come in or back from a break. Non-Smoking customers are put off by it.
    2. Outgoing personality 
    3. Friendly positive demeanor
    4. Customer Services Oriented
    5. Dependable, prompt, responsible
    6. Willing to help Team mates attitude, hustles when busy
    7. Adequate Intelligence and Verbal Communication skills
    8. Willing to continue learning new skills to provide beyond expectations service.
    9. Experience varies depending on needs. 
    Back of house:
    1. Dependable, Dependable, Dependable.
    2. Did I mention Dependable?
    3. Takes pride in their work
    4. Works well as a team
    5. Experience depends on needs and menu. Not all Newbees.
    6. Cross-trainable
    7. Conscientious with food health standards
    8. Hustles, quick response time. 
    I was a Recruiter for over 20 years and developed in-depth interviewing skills and learned the importance of doing quality interviewing and reference checking. Learn to Peel the Onion Baby and save yourself a lot of grief and problems later on.

Excellent!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1