Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ignore the Pizza Police

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53
David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Sun, 07/4/10 1:11 PM (permalink)
Generic NYC slice joints often have a menu board that advertises Neapolitan and Sicilian pizza. The Sicilian is a dollar or two more per pie. The Neapolitan is round and thin. The Sicilian is rectangular, thicker, and usually baked in a pan.

Most of the folks who opened up these NYC joints didn't know anything about trademarks. And the average New Yorker doesn't know about EU place-of-origin labeling rules.

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
    Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Thu, 07/15/10 5:26 AM (permalink)
    I've had to fly to new haven for work a few times, and have been to pepe's twice. the pizza was good, but wasn't that much different from what i can get at home. there are tons of mom and pop pizza places that make similar pies, but pepe's was the only place where i've ever found clams on a pizza.. which is really strange since clams are abundant here, but usually get breaded and fried or made into chowder..

analei

• Total Posts: 533
      Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 10:15 AM (permalink)
      I feel split. On one hand, who cares, but at the same time, the pizza in Italy, or should we say specifically from Napoli is not what you will find there in the aforementioned establishments in New Haven and surrounding states. Is this to say one is better than the other. No..just different, and it is all good, but do not call it one thing when it is not.

Why not celebrate the differences, the innovations, and all that.

The French are very particular that no sparkling wine is allowed to be called champagne unless it is from their own region bearing that name. While perhaps pizza does not rate as high as champagne, i think leaving things to be authentic with its rules and regulations is just fine. 

analei

Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 10:17 AM (permalink)
        Yikes..please no one get up in arms about pizza being less important than champagne.  . I am sure for some it rates far higher. As for me, it is the perfect drink. I wish i were wealthier so I could drink it every day. 

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 10:22 AM (permalink)
          marzsit

I've had to fly to new haven for work a few times, and have been to pepe's twice. the pizza was good, but wasn't that much different from what i can get at home. there are tons of mom and pop pizza places that make similar pies, but pepe's was the only place where i've ever found clams on a pizza.. which is really strange since clams are abundant here, but usually get breaded and fried or made into chowder..

I remember your comment from a couple of weeks back, but needed time to respond. Although I left Seattle almost a decade and a half ago- my experience with pizza in the metro area was anywhere from just south of  mediocre to downright nasty. I spent my 3 years and 3 months there giving it "the old college try" and was disappointed each and every single time. Since your post I wondered if the situation has changed and checked with my friend who lives in the  Wallingford section of Seattle  but has been to NY more than enough times to know good pizza and as I suspected- it hasn't.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6230
            Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 10:36 AM (permalink)
            wj,

I suspect in a decade and a half that the pizza situation has changed in Seattle as it has across most of the country for the better in many instances. There are no regional secrets or monopolies anymore. You can say the same with craft beers and chef driven restaurants. The internet has made so many people much more aware and expectations have increased.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 10:51 AM (permalink)
              Davydd

wj,

I suspect in a decade and a half that the pizza situation has changed in Seattle as it has across most of the country for the better in many instances. There are no regional secrets or monopolies anymore. You can say the same with craft beers and chef driven restaurants. The internet has made so many people much more aware and expectations have increased.

Davydd

I agree to an extent, and that's why I waited a few weeks to respond so I can check with a local source whose opinion I trust. In his opinion the situation hasn't changed. Perhaps if Marzit can provide some specific examples of some of the local pizza places that "aren't much different" then we can have something to go on.

You mentioned craft beers as an example, I still say anything from the Rocky Mountain Region and westward still has the monopoly on quality with Northern New England being the exception. Of course there are few exceptions such as the superb pale ale I had earlier this year at the Cocoa Beach Brewing Company in Cocoa Beach Fl and a few brews I enjoyed last year in Nashville with Poverty Pete- but I still think these are few and far between.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 11:20 AM (permalink)
                why would people eat pizza in Seattle? Too many other options.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                  Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
                  Hey,for some, pizza is the # 1 choice!!!!

1bbqboy

Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 12:26 PM (permalink)
                    Maybe Salmon pizza would work.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                      Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 1:57 PM (permalink)
                      bill voss

Maybe Salmon pizza would work.

I think that would go perfect with an Iced venti 6 shot 2/3 half-caf, 2 1/2 pump sugar-free cinnamon dolce, 2 1/2 pump sugar-free vanilla, 1 pump sugar-free gingerbread, splash of 1% milk (half 2% and nonfat) 2 splenda 3 honey packets(stirred in with the espresso first to melt) light ice, light whip, with cinnamon dolce and nutmeg sprinkles iced coffee.

1bbqboy

Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 1:59 PM (permalink)
                        I'll  stick with a bloody mary.

analei

Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 4:54 PM (permalink)
                          JoeRogo..do you know my friend Alexia? Her drink sounds just like that. She drives me nuts with her pretentious, and she tells them in which order to add the ingredients. A mere plebeian like me orders French roast coffee with some cream and sugar. 

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                            Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 08/3/10 9:32 PM (permalink)
                            analei

JoeRogo..do you know my friend Alexia? Her drink sounds just like that. She drives me nuts with her pretentious, and she tells them in which order to add the ingredients. A mere plebeian like me orders French roast coffee with some cream and sugar. 

I copied that from one of wanderingjews trip reports

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                              Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Wed, 08/4/10 9:35 AM (permalink)
                              I was about to ask if you were changing your name to Wanderingjoe...

Brad

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
                                Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Wed, 08/4/10 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                There is one thing about Pepe's that is true to its Italian roots...no slices.  They only sell whole pies.  Folks like me spend an hour give or take on the sidewalk outside Pepe's (rain, snow or shine) waiting for a table.  The wait can be fun because you run into people from all over the country and beyond. 

IMHO, the Pepe's pie is all about the oven.  Coal rules...it imparts both flavor and texture to Pepe's superlative crust.  Like the best Italian bread you've ever had.  You often see lots of outside crusts left on the plate at lesser places; at Pepe's, everyone eats the crust. 

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Wed, 08/4/10 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                  joerogo

analei

I copied that from one of wanderingjews trip reports

If I remember my coffee lingo-

A decaf skinny latte is also called a "why bother"

http://www.callihan.com/seattle/coffee.htm

I'm actually very easy to please- just a large dark roast with  a few drops of half and half a  half of a packet of raw sugar - then one refill with the same stuff and I'm good for the day!
                                  <message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 08/4/10 12:48 PM>

plb

Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Wed, 08/4/10 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                    marzsit

I've read here for years about white pizza with clams and drooled.  After an exhausting search I finally found it here in Dallas.  It was as good as I hoped.  OK, it was in Highland Park not Dallas, at a high end Italian placed called Nonna.      

JJ416

• Total Posts: 1
                                      Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 10/5/10 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                      Totally agree..and even though I don't think there needs to be a "pure" organization for Neapolitan pizza--I do love the lists of "best" pizzas on blogs, magazines food critics etc...if only because there are many of us who have very particular taste on what we want in pizza.  I love thin crusted pizza with slightly more sauce than cheese and spice IN the sauce not added on top!  It is very very hard to find.  I recently walked Henry St in Williamsburg (NYC) looking for "Lucali" which I heard had amazing pizza. Unfortunately, it was closed until 6pm so we stopped on the way back at "Francescos" The pizza was delicious and the food at the moderately priced restaurant reminded me of the great tasting Southern Italian restaurants of old.  The point is everyone has their own standards--fine. But there are many of us who have a more defined sense of  taste that needs to be satisfied  the rest of you would readily enjoy--it doesn't work the other way around! 

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                        Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Tue, 10/5/10 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                        analei

I feel split. On one hand, who cares, but at the same time, the pizza in Italy, or should we say specifically from Napoli is not what you will find there in the aforementioned establishments in New Haven and surrounding states. Is this to say one is better than the other. No..just different, and it is all good, but do not call it one thing when it is not.

Why not celebrate the differences, the innovations, and all that.

The French are very particular that no sparkling wine is allowed to be called champagne unless it is from their own region bearing that name. While perhaps pizza does not rate as high as champagne, i think leaving things to be authentic with its rules and regulations is just fine. 
                                        Pizza at its best is food for the gods and rates well above any other food or drink in the universe.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                          Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Wed, 10/6/10 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                          Oh you are so right,NyPizzaNut....God's gift to food!!!!!!

analei

Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Thu, 10/7/10 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                            NYPIZZANUT..laughs..you have named yourself so aptly.
                                            I love pizza too. Is there anymore more perfect food? One can something from the food pyramid on a nice mantle of crust.

I am craving some right now.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                              Re:Ignore the Pizza Police Thu, 10/7/10 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                              analei

NYPIZZANUT..laughs..you have named yourself so aptly.
                                              I love pizza too. Is there anymore more perfect food? One can something from the food pyramid on a nice mantle of crust.

I am craving some right now.
                                              I didn't have to give it much thought...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com