I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
CENTRALVA
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/13 08:46:02 (permalink)
The picture of "young" Evelyn sure bears a strong resemblance to Sookie Stackhouse from the HBO series True Blood.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/16 19:16:59 (permalink)
I think I just fainted at the idea of combining a chess pie and Berger's cookies.  Cliff I've got some short ends from Baltimore--you mind if I stick 'em here?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10409
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/16 20:05:23 (permalink)
Nancy, you have a blanket invitation to any and all my threads.  I've seen your photos.....you will class the joint up!
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/21 16:39:00 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Since I had my usual favorite, a hot fudge sundae, just an hour earlier at Lagomarcino's in Moline

Blasphemy!
What were you doing having a hot fudge sundae at a restaurant in Moline... instead of walking out and heading to Whitey's?!?!? You KNOW it's gonna be good when you finally FINALLY get there. But I ain't holdin' my breath honey. 

Enjoying the catch up posts though.
cecif
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/21 16:44:55 (permalink)
cecif

buffetbuster
Since I had my usual favorite, a hot fudge sundae, just an hour earlier at Lagomarcino's in Moline

Blasphemy!
What were you doing having a hot fudge sundae at a restaurant in Moline... instead of walking out and heading to Whitey's?!?!? You KNOW it's gonna be good when you finally FINALLY get there. But I ain't holdin' my breath honey. 

Enjoying the catch up posts though.

It just occurred to me they're a candy place. Ha! Still... blasphemy, I say!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/21 22:16:05 (permalink)
Schedule, my dear cecifLagomarcino's opens at 8:00AM.  It was hard enough for me to wait around THAT long until they opened.

Don't worry, I know I owe you a big one.  Next time in Quad Cities (and it won't be long), it will be Whitey's AND a reuben!
cecif
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/23 14:06:38 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Schedule, my dear cecifLagomarcino's opens at 8:00AM.  It was hard enough for me to wait around THAT long until they opened.

Don't worry, I know I owe you a big one.  Next time in Quad Cities (and it won't be long), it will be Whitey's AND a reuben!

I promise you won't be disappointed. If you are, I'll owe you a hot fudge sundae and we'll pick somewhere fun!
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/23 15:59:57 (permalink)
I'm enjoying this thread immensely!  Thanks, BB.
Lisajo
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/24 11:32:56 (permalink)
BB, this is a great report! I love all the pics!  Someone mentioned not reading your report until AFTER they ate breakfast and I will add lunch to that also!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/08/24 12:13:31 (permalink)
Thank you for the nice comments!  Even though I do have some interesting places to write about, like the Zydeco breakfast at Cafe des Amis in Breaux Bridge, this thread is going to take a backseat until I get the New Mexico thread finished.  At this pace, I should be done with it sometime in 2014!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/04 19:44:54 (permalink)
Hop-on Clyde here.  With just a bit of the Baltimore, for your enjoyment.

First I have to tell you a story, and it's the saddest story in the whole wide world.  Sadder than if I actually had fake glass legs filled with beer.  We went to Baltimore the third weekend in July this year for Julie's birthday.  The Twins were in town at Camden Yards and the plan was to catch as many games as we could and squeeze some RF joints and sightseeing in around them.  

I don't know if you recall anything about the third weekend in July this year, but it was officially as hot as the surface of Mercury on the Eastern seaboard, and in particular in Baltimore.  One day it was 110 degrees.  Not with the heat index, that was the temperature.  So about midway through the trip, I started to flag in a big way.  Ended up sending Julie to the last game we had planned without me, staying in the hotel drinking Gatorade, and -- here's the sad part -- never did eat a crab cake.  I'm still majorly miffed about that one.  So kids, here's your lesson--get the thing you most wanted to have the minute you get off the plane.  Life is friggin' short.  :)

Here's what we did get to.  First of all, at Camden Yards.  I had gone over the previous Baltimore threads here and made notes and sent a missive to i95, who was most helpful.  We landed around 5 on Thursday and made such good time getting to our hotel that we wandered on down to the ballpark Thursday night and were rewarded with free tickets by a wonderful lady who'd gotten them from her kids' school.  So the only thing that was universally agreed upon at Camden Yards was Boog's Pit Beef.  I don't have a picture of it, because I hoovered that thing right on down in record time.  That was the first thing we noshed, watching the game from the concession area on the entry level and trying to figure out where we were going to stab for sitting in a section other than the one on our tickets.

The other thing we discovered on Thursday night and tucked away for future reference (and mentioned by i95 in his unfortunate run-in with a fishcake) is that there is an Attman's Deli in the exterior wall of the ballpark.  Friday night we split a Reuben:

and an entirely new creature to us, the potato knish.  I knew generally what a knish was but when I ordered it and the counterwoman said 'what kind?' I was thrown for a second.  She very kindly (but quickly) explained in a perfect Baltimore accent and we got the potato kind:

Julie still talks about that knish.  The Reuben was quite good, but I feel myself to be an inadequate evaluator of the Reuben.  I still order a Rachel or a turkey Reuben or the cole slaw version about as often.  I need the meat dressed up.

So for Camden Yards, those two seem to be your best bet.  There was a stand selling crab cakes, but being as I was under the (mistaken) impression I was going to have good ones the next day, it didn't happen.  We had the usual ballpark fare--a lemonade here, some soft-serve there, a bag of peanuts.  Thursday's game was really exciting--this is the one where the Baltimore manager ended up getting ejected for yelling at an umpire over an out (which was really over an unfair safe earlier in the game for the Twins) and some 18 year old held the game up for about ten minutes after leaping over the outfield wall and dodging security in the outfield.  I even booed the guy who stood in his way after he launched himself over the dugout and tried for a getaway.

Friday morning we made our way to Lexington Market to scout things out and buy some Berger cookies:

And love them I did.  I'm plotting on how to make some version of the frosting to top a peanut butter cookie right now.  It's very fudgy, almost ganache-y, and I can see how they inspire such devotion.  We were really there too early for a crab cake, and if this were an episode of 'Scrubs' this would be the part where the tuxedoed opera guy comes out to sing 'mistaaaaaake.'

Then we wandered down to the waterfront area and a wonderful lady from the Visitors' Center tried to find us something fun to do that would be, please dear God, inside.  So we ended up at the American Visionary Art Museum, a wacky mirror-covered main building (with some outbuildings containing additional collections) with an impressive array of art whose inclusive commonality is that it was all produced by untrained artists, but when you peruse the collection you discover that many of these untrained artists were at one time institutionalized either at a mental health facility or a prison, or sometimes both.  There are pieces in this collection that will stick in your brain forever.  The building is lovely and the staff is very helpful at explaining what you're looking at.  They have a lunchroom--which is probably too fancy to really be called a lunchroom--called Mr. Rain's Fun House.

My condition hadn't deteriorated yet so I happily ordered two appetizers, the lumpia (spring rolls filled with minced chicken and shrimp) and a seasonal candy beet salad:

Both were absolutely delicious, with the beets an overall standout.  Before your food comes at Mr. Rain's, they bring you a bowl of tiny pretzel balls, with some yellow mustard for dipping:

These were much denser, of course, than other bread products their size--we couldn't just horse them down like you'd think you could.  Nice and salty.  Julie got an entree of black eyed pea cakes in an open faced sandwich:

The cakes themselves were excellent--I didn't figure out that the carraway flavor I was getting from them was coming from the bread underneath but it could have been that I was already starting to be rendered stupid by the heat.  The fries were just okay--it's not easy to keep shoestrings like this in great shape for the trip to your table, or it could be that we are sticklers for crispy.  All in all, a very good lunch and a place I would recommend highly if you want an afternoon full of different.

Friday night we were back at the stadium (this was the Attman's night) and even though we were careful to sit well back under the concrete level above us, and near a breeze coming from the exterior wall of the stadium, the heat (or the flu) was starting to get to me.

Saturday morning the plan was to go spend some time in Fells Point and maybe hit a couple of other spots via the water taxi.  It was then that everything fell apart.  Around 11 am I found myself desperately hurling myself off the water taxi and directly into the place immediately across the street from the stop, Koopers' Tavern.  'Homicide' aficionados, if there are any still around, will understand that Koopers' Tavern is the place where the 'Board' lives on the wall in the stairwell, and it's still there, undisturbed.  We sat at the bar and nursed lemonades for about an hour while I tried to quell my spinning head and racing stomach, and we decided that we would at least get Julie some lunch before making our way back to the hotel.  This is what she got:

And she pronounced it the best one she's had in years--no fillers, no folderol, just lump crab meat, with very good mashed potatoes and steamed green beans besides.  It's not one of the well-known ones like Faidley's or Obrycki's but it's a very good crab cake.  Meanwhile, I was sitting there nursing a bowl of grapes and canteloupe cubes that the waitress had kindly dug up for me.  Am I bitter?  Hmmm.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/04 22:21:37 (permalink)
Oh Nancy, so sorry to hear you got ill during your time in Baltimore.  It does get steamy there during the Summer, but 110 degrees?  I wouldn't dare leave my hotel room.  And this is for the benefit for the poor people stuck with me, because I would be miserable and let everyone around me know it.  Hopefully, Julie still had a good time seeing her Twins.

As for the not getting any crabcakes, believe it or not, I did the same thing when I went down in August.  So you are not the only one to do this Roadfood faux pas.  At least you got some Berger's cookies.  

Thanks for the piggyback in this thread.  Great stuff as always! 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/09/04 22:23:15
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/04 23:59:33 (permalink)
It turns out that Nancy and I were there the same week, and I can attest to it being blisteringly hot.  For Nancy's sake, though, I managed to eat enough crab cakes for the both of us...and buffetbuster too, since he missed out.  ;)
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 08:37:40 (permalink)
I was very thankful for Steve's crab cake support.  :)  And thanks for the hospitality, Cliff.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 13:16:45 (permalink)
So sorry your adventure turned out badly, Nancy. I know some like it hot but your week was a bit much. I ate the crab cakes at Camden and liked them a lot but i am no expert. And Cliff was right, you do class up a thread.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18655
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 14:26:38 (permalink)
Nancy, your trip report is terrific, and I'm sorry about the heat. It won't help, I know, but I consider anything over 40 degrees a heat wave, so I'd never have made it out of any air-conditioned space.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2991
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 15:09:02 (permalink)
Nancy -
Nice stuff...sorry you didn't make the finish line...do I hear return trip?

That Steve...what a guy!

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8075
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 15:10:16 (permalink)
Julie's choices look devine.  I'm also sorry that you were sick.  You'll just have to do it again during cooler times.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 20:38:20 (permalink)
I would absolutely love to go back.  I was bad off enough on Sunday that we actually rebooked our tickets to go home earlier and Julie was declaring the trip a wash, but I think we will definitely make a return visit.  Thanks everybody for your nice thoughts!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 20:44:17 (permalink)
Nancy, if you do you really should go to Dangerously Delicious Pies and try that Baltimore Bomb, made with Berger cookies.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18655
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/05 21:14:33 (permalink)
Oh, c'mon. No one eats sweet baked things these days.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/23 12:37:08 (permalink)
On a recent trip back from Indy, we made a stop at Gray Bros. Cafeteria, and there is no dedicated thread for it, so I think I'll just add it on here- what with all the pies, it seems to fit. (and it had me thinking of Cliff...)

We were very happy as we spied the sign ahead:

Although being 1:30 on a Sunday, we did run into the post-Church crowd, and it was very very busy, with a long, long line.  Of course that also meant everything was super fresh, and we had that much more time to contemplate:

There were cases and cases of cheesecakes, and cakes and pies.  Things I had never heard of, like Hummingbird Cake...but oh the pies...

and more pies...

We ended up choosing Chocolate- (so velvety smooth and delicious...)

Coconut Cream, sweet and rich and oh so good...(as you can see Hubs could really hardly wait..)

and then because I had never seen or heard of it, thinking, WWBBD? we tried a bonus slice of Raisin pie, which was a little on the sweet side for me, but might have been perfect with some ice cream.

We did also have entrees. I had the absolutely BEST breaded pork tenderloin I have ever eaten.  It was unbelievably crisp and incredibly tender at the same time, with a perfect balance of saltiness and pepper.  And did I mention it was so ginormous it covered the entire plate? I asked for light on the gravy so I could enjoy more of the crunchiness...

Hubby had a swiss steak, which was very good, (but it was no BPT...LOL).  He did have some of the butteriest mashed potatoes I have ever tried.  There must have been 1/2 a stick of butter in that scoop.  We also had some deviled eggs as starters that were sooo good.  They are my guilty pleasure.  I think we ate them too fast to get a picture...

I also had a side of yummy yams with marshymallows mmmm

When the meal was done, there were so many leftovers, we needed a bunch of to go boxes..

I would say this is a great stop anytime you are on the south side of Indy...

Gray Bros. Cafeteria
555 S. Indiana St. (Route 67)
Mooresville, IN 46158
317-831-3345
http://www.graybrotherscatering.com/index.html
post edited by irisarbor - 2010/09/23 12:38:40
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/09/23 13:19:43 (permalink)
Nice pictures, Iris, and a good representation of everything Gray's has!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/11/23 14:24:53 (permalink)
On page 1 of this report, I wrote about a visit to Etta's Lunchbox Cafe & Museum in New Plymouth, OH.  Unfortunately, the very nice man who waited on me and gave the hilarious tour, Tim Seewer, passed away.  The cafe is now closed.

On December 12th, they are reopening for one day and having a tribute to Tim.  If possible, I am going to try and make it.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/11/23 14:46:04
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/11/23 20:11:03 (permalink)
Potato-bacon pierogies from Pierogies Plus sautéed with butter and onions.

I'm not sure whether I learned about this place from buffetbuster in person or from his Roadfood.com review.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/11/24 00:19:58 (permalink)
Sorry to hear of your guide's death, BB. Hope you can make the memorial.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2010/11/24 10:48:37 (permalink)
Awww, he was a youngish guy too.  I'm sorry to hear that.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2012/03/12 15:20:29 (permalink)
This past weekend, Mariton and I drove the relatively short distance to central Pennsylvania and spent time in Harrisburg, Hershey and Gettysburg.  Cousin Johnny had to work on Sunday, but he did join us for the day on Saturday.

Doing a little research ahead of time, I found a German restaurant in Mechanicsburg that was getting rave reviews on yelp.  So, we went there for lunch on Saturday.  The name of the place is Josie's German Cakes and Market.  It is located in an inconspicous house

in a quiet neighborhood.  Only a small sign by the road

and a German flag in the yard clues in that this is no ordinary house.

Josie's is a grocery store first and the large main room is dedicated to shelves

of products from Germany.  The room to the right is a small dining room, with three tables. 

We sat ourselves and started looking at the menus which were already on the table.

The menu has a bigger selection than we expected, with both a lunch and dinner page.  We were told that even though it was only around 12:30 in the afternoon, we could order anything off of the dinner menu, also.  Cousin Johnny had a great suggestion of getting the sausage plate as an appetizer.  This comes with a length each of the bratwurst, knockwurst and weisswurst, over top of sauerkraut and potato pancakes.  But, the lady who waited on us, who we assumed was Josie herself, informed us that they were out of the potato pancakes and they were substituting German potato salad instead.  We can live with that!  The sausage plate

was fantastic!  We believe the knockwurst was a beef and pork mixture with an unmistakable garlic flavor.  With it's distinct pale, whitish coloring, the weisswurst (a pork and veal mixture) stood out on the plate.  While I still enjoyed it, it was mild enough that I could have used some mustard to eat it with.  The brat, which was grilled until the skin was nice and crispy, spurted juice when pressured by a knife or fork.  My favorite was the brat, Johnny loved the knockwurst, while Mariton preferred the weisswurst.

The sauerkraut that came with the sausage was simply the best sauerkraut I have ever had.  And growing up in a German hosehold, I have eaten a lot of sauerkraut.  They definitely seasoned it up and it did have a slight sweetness to it, but I'm still not sure what exactly made it so good.  The German potato salad was one of the more unusual I have tasted, but I still loved it.  It was not sweet at all and also was not overly vinegary like GPS often can be.  But, it was extra bacony and that flavor really came out, since it didn't have other strong flavors to compete with.  Since both Mariton and I ordered extra sides of German potato salad,

we let Johnny eat most of what came on the sausage plate.

For an entree, Mariton had no idea what to order.  Not being very experienced in German restaurants, she asked for advice.  When we first sat down, the young man (who we believe was Josie's son) who was filling out orders at the meat counter, told us the Jaegerschnitzel was the thing to order.  Knowing how much she enjoys pork, especially pork chops, this is what I ordered for her.  After it arrived, I knew I had made a big mistake.  This dish was so good,

I should have kept it for myself!  The pork cutlet was tender as can be, breaded and then pan fried.  Topping it was a mushroom sauce, that also had cream and white wine in it.  Luckily for Johnny and I, Mariton was willing to share and all three of us went crazy over this dish.  Not only was this the best thing we ate at Josie's, this might very well be the best thing I have eaten all year!  In fact, I would have been just as happy to have a big plate of the spaetzels, which came on the side, just covered in that sauce.

For his entree, Johnny went with the Hungarian Goulasch. 

The beef in the goulasch was also extremely tender and Johnny really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, no meal is ever perfect, and I didn't really care for my sauerbraten. 

The marinated beef was nice and lean, but the sauce was too thin and watery for my taste.

While waiting for our dinners, I was checking out the desserts, some of which were still in big pans, like they had just come out of the oven.  We each chose a different one and once again, we each had a different favorite.  Mariton loved the fruit torte.

I only took one bite, as it looked a little too healthy to be dessert.  Johnny's apple strudel

was wonderful!  Soft, sugary, loaded with apples, this may have been the best apple strudel I have tasted.  My dessert was something I had never seen before but couldn't possibly say no to: plum cake! 

The cake part was very soft, while the top was harder, but still easy to eat.  There were lots of small plums baked into it.  One of the things I appreciated about this cake was that it was not overly sweet.

By the end of the meal, all three of us were absolutely stuffed.  For all of this food, our meal cost just over $50.00, which was a real bargain.

If you love German food and are traveling near Harrisburg or anywhere in south central PA, Josie's comes highly recommended!

Josie's German Cakes and Market
5238 East Trindle Road
Mechanicsburg, PA
717-697-6462     
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/03/12 15:48:40
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2012/03/12 15:33:05 (permalink)
That plate of Jaegerschnitzel looks mouthwateringly good!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:I'll take Potpourri for $1200.00, Alex. 2012/03/12 15:34:45 (permalink)
I should mention that Josie's very much reminded me of Swan Market, a Roadfood reviewed place that is also a German market that serves homecooked food.  This makes me wonder if there are many other places like this out there.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/03/12 15:45:29
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1