Hot!I'm a natural casing snob.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Filetofish
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
2013/11/24 05:04:23 (permalink)

I'm a natural casing snob.

Up here in Mass, we have a number of decent choices for dogs. Kayem, Schonlands, Essem, Jordans, Dietz and Watson, Boars Head etc. Kayem now makes Schonlands, Essem, Jordans and their own brands. I've also been buying Hummel Bros. from New Haven, CT.

Last night, I made some Boars Head pork and beef hot dogs with my baked beans. A friend left them here from a gathering that were not used that time, they did not have a natural casing. Although they tasted very good, they weren't the same as the NC snap. I think I'll have some Hummels tonight to finish up the rolls.

38 Replies Related Threads

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 07:24:12 (permalink)
    Filetofish

Up here in Mass, we have a number of decent choices for dogs. Kayem, Schonlands, Essem, Jordans, Dietz and Watson, Boars Head etc. Kayem now makes Schonlands, Essem, Jordans and their own brands. I've also been buying Hummel Bros. from New Haven, CT.

Last night, I made some Boars Head pork and beef hot dogs with my baked beans. A friend left them here from a gathering that were not used that time, they did not have a natural casing. Although they tasted very good, they weren't the same as the NC snap. I think I'll have some Hummels tonight to finish up the rolls.
    I'm sitting here in my Cape Pond Ice t-shirt agreeing with you. We have a few local brands that I like...Schweigert from MN (hot dog of the Twins) and Wenzel. I tried a Nathan's natural casing last week and wasn't all that impressed. I pretty much don't eat them if they don't have the natural casings.
    http://www.schweigertmeats.com/
    Filetofish
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 10:17:46 (permalink)
    Pancho

Filetofish

I'm sitting here in my Cape Pond Ice t-shirt agreeing with you. We have a few local brands that I like...Schweigert from MN (hot dog of the Twins) and Wenzel. I tried a Nathan's natural casing last week and wasn't all that impressed. I pretty much don't eat them if they don't have the natural casings.
    http://www.schweigertmeats.com/

Cool, it's still there but in the process of changing hands.
    Was in Milwaukee in 2011 and only had a Usingers dog.
    Had some cheese curds though.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5044
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 11:34:35 (permalink)
    I'm in total agreement. A natural encased sausage, dog, brat or, whatever is the only way to go! Good thread!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 12:29:47 (permalink)
    On a sad note, I confirmed with a HD manufacturer that all natural casings now come from China.
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 13:09:34 (permalink)
    Oh, say it ain't so, Joe. 

Bear
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 13:15:31 (permalink)
    Even casings from other countries are sent to China for processing.
    Filetofish
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 14:17:18 (permalink)
    We as home sausage makers can get casings made here. I'm not surprised that bulk buyers have to get them overseas.
    Filetofish
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 14:23:31 (permalink)
    From DeWieds site.

Raising the Bar on Food Safety in the Hog Casing Industry 
    For years, great sausage has been a staple of family celebrations, holidays and quiet dinners at home. It’s a delicious centerpiece for good times filled with laughter and joy. Some of your fondest memories may include savoring the explosion of flavor on your taste buds, the moment you take the first bite.
    But have you ever stopped to think where the skin of that sausage came from?
    The skin of sausage is just like the skin of fruit. They are the first things to touch your mouth, so you want them to be clean and safe.  
    With the recent swine flu epidemic, along with tainted foods such as peanut butter with salmonella and spinach with E. coli, food safety has become a hot topic on many fronts. In 2008, the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) named“revamping oversight of food safety” as one of the top 13 urgent issues to be addressed by the Obama administration.
    Additionally, the Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) regulation began in 2009. This bill amending the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946 requires retailers to inform consumers of the country of origin of muscle cuts and ground beef (including veal), lamb, pork, chicken and goat meat. Surprisingly, hog casings were omitted from this regulation.
    At DeWied we, too, are concerned with global food safety. That is why we are voluntarily stepping up to improve industry standards for hog casings. DeWied’s Global Food Safety Seal means we are committed to adhering to the highest global food safety standards available today.
    To achieve superior food safety practices, DeWied uses these stringent benchmarks to form the foundation of our promise to our customers. And it’s not easy. It requires significant commitment, focus and attention to detail during each step of the process.
    For the past two years, DeWied achieved a Grade of “A” on the Global Food Safety Certificate of Conformity for our China plant. We are proud to announce that we did this on the initial visit each time – No re-audits for major corrective actions were required to get our plant up to specification.  
    At DeWied, we only use pigs whose origins can be traced. Because knowing where that pig came from and what it was fed makes all the difference in whether the sausage you eat is safe for you and your family.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 18:46:43 (permalink)
    joerogo

OMG!
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/24 19:16:17 (permalink)
    Filetofish

Schonlands!!!!!!!!!!! Gawd How I long for Schonlands......can't get them here or any other kayem brands.....but Dietz and watsons makes the dogs for my local favorite, Jimmy John's(not the chain!).......They are a fine if fat and not too long  a dog
    post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2013/11/24 19:19:01
    Filetofish
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/25 04:14:39 (permalink)
    I love Schonlands too. They are made here in Chelsea but I can only find them in Maine. Sometimes you can find them in Mass at Hannafords Supermarkets.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 390
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/25 05:06:10 (permalink)
    joerogo

On a sad note, I confirmed with a HD manufacturer that all natural casings now come from China.

Not true at all, our sheep casings come from New Zealand, and Australia.  I also have sources in the Middle East, and I know there are natural casings available that are from the US, but they come at a large premium compared to most others.  Anyone saying all come from China is just plain wrong and probably using that as an excuse to use the cheapest they can get.
    Filetofish
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/25 06:01:30 (permalink)
    Good info, thanks.
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/25 10:48:01 (permalink)
    Pancho

We have a few local brands that I like...Schweigert from MN (hot dog of the Twins) and Wenzel.
    Wenzel's are good but I've noticed that when grilled they turn out a bit salty.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/25 16:06:23 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Pancho

We have a few local brands that I like...Schweigert from MN (hot dog of the Twins) and Wenzel.
    Wenzel's are good but I've noticed that when grilled they turn out a bit salty.
    Agreed...have you ever tried a Schweigert Old Fashioned? I used to see them at Woodman's but not lately. What other brands would you recommend. I've tried Usingers and CherMake (sp)?

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/26 09:15:11 (permalink)
    I don't think I've ever seen the Schweigert brand in stores but we don't shop at Woodman's, either.  Truthfully, we don't eat many hot dogs and right now the only brands we've bought on a semi-regular basis have been Vienna Beef and the Chicago-style version from Klement's.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/26 09:50:29 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

I don't think I've ever seen the Schweigert brand in stores but we don't shop at Woodman's, either.  Truthfully, we don't eat many hot dogs and right now the only brands we've bought on a semi-regular basis have been Vienna Beef and the Chicago-style version from Klement's.
    Thanks, Brad. I'm pretty much in the same boat with hot dogs. Just on a whim at times. I actually had a fairly decent Chicago dog at HOME DEPOT the other day! Nothing like a dog while perusing power tools.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/26 21:27:41 (permalink)
    I love the naturally cased dogs from Thumann's. They're my favorite dogs with a great snap to the casing.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/27 22:21:18 (permalink)
    I go to a place here in Orange County called Jerry's Wood Fired Dogs.Their "Signature dog" is a natural casing dog. It's the only one I order. Gotta have that snap!
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/28 18:47:03 (permalink)
    joerogo

I checked a package of casing yesterday and sure enough, "Product of USA" and "Packaged in China".
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 08:43:10 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    joerogo
    I checked a package of casing yesterday and sure enough, "Product of USA" and "Packaged in China".

I am told this is done because no one country has enough sheep casing to maintain a constant supply.  I understand the logic, but, wish they went sent to the USA for processing instead of China.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 11:16:23 (permalink)
    So in a roundabout way we're not eating enough Lamb to pull our weight?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 11:32:41 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

Yep. Baa--aaa--add Americans!

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 13:17:09 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

Or too much casing is being used for other products.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 13:21:04 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

I'm doing my share. Lamb shanks tomorrow night. Moroccan couscous a few nights ago with lamb AND lamb sausage.
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 13:29:26 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

1bbqboy

I'm doing my share. Lamb shanks tomorrow night. Moroccan couscous a few nights ago with lamb AND lamb sausage.
    How do you do your lamb shanks? My Mom used to slow cook them in some sort of Indian curry concoction. I love them, but hard to find around here. Last time I got a few from Whole Paycheck and they were quite tough.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 15:06:19 (permalink)
    lleechef will explain how she does lamb shanks when she gets back from the store.
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 15:43:12 (permalink)
    Recent trip to western NY, I've now got Zweigle's white hots, Hoffman's white hots, Hoffman's red hots, and Salen's!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:I'm a natural casing snob. 2013/11/29 15:48:46 (permalink)
    kevincad

Recent trip to western NY, I've now got Zweigle's white hots, Hoffman's white hots, Hoffman's red hots, and Salen's!
    I recently received some Zweigle's whites as a gift. Last time I remember eating them as a little kid when we went on a road trip from VA to Lake George, NY. I remember really liking them back then. This time they just didn't have that memorable taste. Kind of bland....I did the whole grill thing...popped skins, great mustard, good bun, etc. Not that I didn't like them, I was just expecting more. At least my love for steamed clams has not waned over the years. Compare the Hoffman's to the Zweigle's?

post edited by Pancho - 2013/11/29 15:51:38
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1