Hot!I'm at a loss

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/02 14:16:17 (permalink)
Nice info MGW! Con-Agra has bought out lots of things.
Joe
rouxdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/02 16:13:03 (permalink)
Seems "each to his own" when it comes to so called Tx. Clili(red) vs. New mexico green chile stew. I like beans in my bowl of red, so does wife. Cooking for a crowd I simmer seperately well seasoned KIDNEY BEANS to be added if the eater so wishes. I've caught several of my die hard "no beaner" friends sneaking beans into their bowl. Kidneys hold up well and add texture and flavor to a bowl of red. My opinion.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/02 17:16:11 (permalink)
I insist on beans in my chili, but they have to be pintos.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/02 18:27:34 (permalink)
Absolutely, we need to stick together!  I like most beans,but prefer MY chili with kidneys.  Love a good pot of pintos too but with a side of cornbread and a plate of green onions. Oops, this was a reply to Mr. Reynolds.  Oh well.
Bill Reynolds
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/02 20:57:12 (permalink)
  I second the pintos, cornbread and a side of green onions with a glass of sweet tea.
tigeraspen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/02 21:24:00 (permalink)
My Mother always made chili with three cans of beans...one kidney, one pinto and one white bean....NJ circa 1960's
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/03 14:37:06 (permalink)
Ranch Style, aka Texas Beans are good... especially if you combine the three variates. I make a "Beans and Wieners" with them that was requested at a wedding.

I am not saying they are the best bean to add to chili. Hey... I'm in Texas and must be careful what I say concerning the subject of beans in chili. :~)
Joe
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/03 17:40:55 (permalink)
you might want to check walmart for the ranch style beans.
a friend in nebraska told me she found them there.
she was also surprised to find 505 brand chile. i had sent her a few bottles, assuming that it was only sold in the albuquerque area.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/03 19:27:27 (permalink)
Xannie, you ben keeping a chili secret from us?
Joe
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/03 19:56:35 (permalink)
lol, papaJoe,
you know better.
there's a difference between chili and chile..
but i admit i'm addicted to the stuff.
and remember...chili rice iz verry nice  ;)
the hubster adds green chiles to his chili to give it a little more oomph.
post edited by xannie_01 - 2009/03/03 19:59:00
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/04 12:40:06 (permalink)
Ahh, you have ben keeping a secret Xannie! Green chiles in chili... sounds good to me! And those 505s must be good! I bet you could make some good Green Chile stew w/ those chiles! I will look for them at my Wally World.

Oh, to all, no beans in Green Chile Stew... not even Ranch Style!
Joe

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2009/03/04 16:23:17 (permalink)
After a bit of digging it turns out that, along with MikeS and others here, Elizabeth Taylor, Humphrey Bogart, and Grace Kelly, were all fans of Ranch Style Beans And, RSBs were often served at LBJ's ranch.

Loyd W. McKee, president of Great Western Foods at the time, spent 3 years of intensive research developing Ranch Style Beans. No wonder they are so good.

Oh, I had forgotten that RS makes a jalapeno pinto bean. They are good! If I was going to put a canned bean in chili... this would be them.
Joe
Gumbo191
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:I'm at a loss 2010/02/19 23:32:21 (permalink)
Got to mix it up
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 02:46:00 (permalink)
use the store locator to find the ranch beans: http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer/storelocator/search.jsp
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10209
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 03:31:00 (permalink)
THIS IS MY 3000th POST!
" />
Refer to my post on page 2 of this Thread. The "Suits" changed the product.
post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/20 03:32:54
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 18:29:01 (permalink)
 For all of you who are confusing Ranch Style Beans with TEXAS RANCH STYLE BEANS, let me try to eliminate the confusion. ConAgra is using Sneaky Marketing. Ranch Style Beans & TEXAS RANCH STYLE BEANS are two different formulas or recipes of Beans. The Current Ranch Style Beans are milder and lack the "Southwestern", Cowboy Beans Flavor that TEXAS RANCH STYLE BEANS had. The labels are similar but the product is DEFINITELY different. The TEXAS variety had more of a Cumin, Chili powder kick to them. I don't know for a fact that they are not making the TEXAS variety anymore, but I have searched almost every Supermarket in the PHX area, and can't find them anymore. I think they gave up the PRECIOUS shelf space to introduce some other new flavors. 
So, that being said, I started looking for Substitutes today and I found two possibilities. I've not tried either one yet, but based on their labels and ingredients list, they may work.  

The 1st one is Bush's Best "Chili Beans - Pinto Beans in Mild Chili Sauce". The Ingredients list includes Pinto Beans, Water, less than 2% salt, modified corn starch, tomato paste, spices, (I love it when they just say "Spices"), corn oil, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, extractive of paprika. Bush's is located in Good Ol' Rocky Top -Knoxville TN, the home of some of our most Distinguished Members, including Paul Smith. www.bushbeans.com

The 2nd one is a private label brand of Frys Supermarket, a division of Kroger, so you might find it in other divisions of Kroger stores. It's labeled "Frys Chili Hot Beans in Chili Gravy". The ingredients label includes Pinto Beans, Water, tomato paste, Salt Seasonings that include (Chili Pepper and other Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Soybean Oil), Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Dextrose, Calcium Chloride.  Sounds very similar to Bush's.  www.interamericanproducts.com (A Kroger Private Label Company I suspect.)

I'll let you know how the taste test will go! 
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 19:47:39 (permalink)
Ranch Style Beans never had Texas in the name here in Texas. The taste was the same as always as of the last can I had. No way an ordinary bean. They always had a chili spicy kinda flavor.

I do worry that things might have changed now since production of these beans has been moved from Fort Worth to outside of Texas.
Joe
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 20:25:14 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

Ranch Style Beans never had Texas in the name here in Texas. The taste was the same as always as of the last can I had. No way an ordinary bean. They always had a chili spicy kinda flavor.

I do worry that things might have changed now since production of these beans has been moved from Fort Worth to outside of Texas.
Joe

The Beans we had here in AZ had "Texas" in the name and were definitely different than the Ranch Style we now have available
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1509
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 21:23:58 (permalink)
Mike, of course we can get them here in Cali... yet another product you don't have there....I think its time to move back home, son..   you can come back to work here at Butler Ave... ;)
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/20 21:47:16 (permalink)
Video about the closing of the plant, including cans on supermarket shelf in Fort Worth:
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/ranch_style_beans_plant_closes

A few months ago, Ocean State Job Lot was selling 26 ounce cans of Ranch Style Beans in Connecticut, $1.40 a can. UPC is 46900-00110. The list of ingredients is:
Water, Pinto beans, tomato puree, blend of vegetable oils and animal fat (partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil and rendered beef fat), contains less than 2% of salt, chili peppers, sugar, paprika, vinegar, spices, onion powder, garlic powder, natural flavorings, soy lecithin.
Contains: Soy.

Nuitrition Data:
Nutrition Data for 1/2 cup, 131 gram serving:
Calores: 130
Calories from fat: 25
Total Fat: 3 gram
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Trans Fat: 0 gram
Cholesterol: 0 gram
Sodium: 580 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 gram
Dietary Fiber 7 gram
Sugars 2 gram
Protein 6 gram
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 10%

This list is slightly different from the one I posted on 2/27/08 for Texas Ranch Style Beans.

None of the mail order web sites, or the ConAgra web site, still show a listing for Texas Ranch Style Beans.
David_NYC
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/21 22:09:55 (permalink)
I often save labels from products of interest. I saved the label from the TEXAS RANCH STYLE BEANS I bought in the South Bronx in May, 2008. For easy comparison, here is the label information from that can, brought forward from page 2:

Texas Ranch Style beans:
UPC: 46900-00106,  15 ounce can,  regular K-Mart price: 90 cents
INGREDIENTS:
Pinto beans, water, tomato puree, less than 2% of: blend of vegetable oils and animal fat (partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil and rendered beef fat), salt, chili peppers, sugar, paprika, vinegar, spices, onion powder, garlic powder, natural flavors, soy lecithin.
Contains: Soy.

Nutrition Data for 1/2 cup, 131 gram serving:
Calores: 130
Calories from fat: 25
Total Fat: 2.5 gram
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Trans Fat: 0 gram
Cholesterol: 0 gram
Sodium: 590 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 gram
Dietary Fiber 6 gram
Sugars 2 gram
Protein 6 gram
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4%
Iron 10%

There are definite differences in the formulas. In the Texas style, pinto beans is the first ingredient. In the regular style, water is the first ingredient. The two ingredients on the list, 'Spices' and 'Natural Flavors' can cover up two different formulations.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 16:09:16 (permalink)
I have a feeling that, along with a different name w/ Texas on the label, Con Agra might change the list of ingredients also. I think some states may have different regs concerning how things are listed. The soy not listed on the cans in Texas might be explained this way? Not sure though?

I have trouble getting my head around water being the main ingredient in the RSB's we have here in Texas. They are to thick w/ not much juice to have water as the main ingredient. Could some states have different listing regs for water?

The one thing I am sure about is that the RSBs here in Texas, as of my last can, were just the same as they were when I was a kid... and that was a while back. :~)

Sad if they are not selling these great beans, made like they are in Texas, in other states.

One other thing is that Ranch does make a Pinto and a Jalapeno Pinto bean. These do say ranch somewhere on the lable but these are not what we are calling Ranch Style on this thread. The lable is not black like the RSBs. They are pretty good though and somewhat different from other brands of canned pintos. I do not have a can on hand but I am pretty sure the are called "Ranch Style Pinto Beans". Has anyone seen these anywhere?

FoodB, could the above be the beans you are now encountering?

And, does anyone see the jalapeno and sweet onion flavors of RSBs in your area. Almost all stores sell all there flavors in Texas.

Now for what changes these beans will incure when made from the new plant no longer in Texas is anyones guess. I can just hope this historic recipe is not lost forever.

Does anyone know when beans from the new plant will be on the shelves?

Did I already say I don't know beans about beans... :~))
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 16:29:10 (permalink)
I just did a Google and there is a picture from foodservicedirect.com of the Ranch Style Jalapeno Pinto Beans 15 0z can. They also list Ranch Style Premium Pinto Beans and Ranch Style Seasoned Premium Pinto Beans 18 oz can. These are NOT the RSBs we are talking about here. The RSBs were are talking about do NOT have the word "pinto" on the front of the lable. They just say"Ranch Style Beans" and in some places said "Texas Ranch Style Beans".

Where is MiamiDon when we need him w/ the pictures?

Are we even more comfused now*&^%(
Joe
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 17:26:09 (permalink)
Joe,
Let me see if I can simplify this a little bit. All the different kinds of Beans you mentioned in the last two posts are the current lne-up of beans being offered. The basic Black Label Ranch Style beans are the same as they've always been.

THE ONLY FLAVOR OF BEANS THAT ARE IN QUESTION IS THE FLAVOR THEY CALLED "TEXAS" RANCH STYLE BEANS !

They were different from the basic "Ranch Style Beans". They were a "Cowboy Style" Bean with heavier Southwestern Seasonings. That's the one we've been talking about that we can't find anymore. It had a Black Label similiar to the basic Ranch Style Beans and that's what's adding to the confusion.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 17:55:34 (permalink)
I can sure see the reason for all the confusion. No good list of Ranch Style products anywhere that I can find of the net. You would think Con Agra would have a good list. They don't. Even some of the places that sell Ranch Style products on the net are confused. Hometownfavorites has the right picture of the can of Ranch Style Pinto Beans but they use the same description for these as the do for regular Ranch style Beans. Even though Ranch Style Beans are made w/ pintos... they are no way the same as regular Ranch Style Beans. I have had.  I have had more cans of both than should be legally alowed.

To add more confusion there are regular Ranch Style Beans With Sliced Jalapeno Peppers... and Ranch Style Pinto Beans with Jalapeno Peppers. Both are good by the way. The pintos are more like regular pinto beans and the ones with sliced jalapenos are like the Ranch Style Beans we have been talking about on this thread.

Texmex.net has pictures of the Ranch Style "appatite pleasin" label and the "origional texas beans" labels side by side. They claim these are the same beans.

Are we havin fun yet?
Joe
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 18:20:44 (permalink)
I'm throwin' in the towel on this one. I'll just go find me another suppier or try to jazz up their regular beans. Ta hell with them!
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 19:11:40 (permalink)
FoodB, we are just about to get to tha bottom of this... maybe? I was making my last post before seeing your 2nd to last post.

The folks at Texmex.net show the old "texas" can and the new"apatite pleasin" can and say the "appatite pleasin" has replaced the "texas" label but are the same beans. My last cans are "appatite pleasin" and are the same thick, chili flavored, cowboy style, southwest seasoning... Ranch Style beans we have always had here in Texas. They used to say "husband pleasin" befor they changed to the "appatite pleasin" years back in Texas.

If your can says "appatite pleasin" and is a black can with no mention of the word "pinto" ... or picture of beans on the front label then they should be the same beans we have had all along in Texas.

The "pintos", that are way different form the Rnach Style beans you are talking about say "pinto" and have a picture of beans on the front label. They are more like a regular pinto bean and have way thinner juice. They are tasty thought for canned pintos but not at all like the other kinda beans.

Oh, have you seen the "sweet onion" or "sliced jalapeno" flavors where you are? The "sweet onion" has a very mild onion flavor with the same thick chili cowboy spiced beans. The sliced jalapno is real HOT by itself. Fine for me but not for some in my family.  As I said earlier I love to mix all three together.

Hey, all this comfusion is Con Agra's fault and not ours. :~)
Joe

David_NYC
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 21:30:19 (permalink)
PapaJoe8
The folks at Texmex.net show the old "texas" can and the new"apatite pleasin" can and say the "appatite pleasin" has replaced the "texas" label but are the same beans. My last cans are "appatite pleasin" and are the same thick, chili flavored, cowboy style, southwest seasoning... Ranch Style beans we have always had here in Texas. They used to say "husband pleasin" befor they changed to the "appatite pleasin" years back in Texas.

Joe, the can on the right shown on the Texmex.net site is the same as I bought in the Bronx. Foodbme and now I dispute whether or not they are the same beans, because the ingredients and nuitrition information as shown on the labels are different.
Also, when I posted this link to hometownfavorites selling on the Amazon site:
http://www.amazon.com/Ranch-Style-Original-Texas-Beans/dp/B000K2CSS0
the label was the same as that on the beans I bought in the Bronx. They changed the label in that Amazon ad since my 2008 posts.

Per an article in the Fort Worth Business Press, production is moving to:
1. Newport, TN. That is the site of the original Stokely-Van Camp bean plant.
2. Archbold, OH. Home of the LaChoy Chinese Foods plant.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: I'm at a loss 2010/02/22 22:59:45 (permalink)
Yep David, those beans at Amazon now look just like the ones that have been sold in Texas for years. The soy, no soy listed, and other differences in the labels are strange and my earlier speculation was just that. Some states may have differences in how soy must be listed but. That's just a guess. The other differences are not so easy to explain.

I think it is safe to say that the beans w/ Texas on the front label are probably gone forever. With the move from Fort Worth I worry that everything might change everywhere with these products. Time will tell I guess.

I can tell yall for sure that the beans in Texas, that have the same front label as in Davids link above, taste and look the same as they always have since I have been eating them back in tha 50s. I can only say this about the beans made prior to the recent closing of the Fort Worth plant.

I feel bad for you guys if that same front lable appatite pleasin Ranch Style Beans donsen't taste like what you had before. Maybe this will get corrected? Only time will tell what comes out of the new plant locations for all of us.

I also hope that the onion and jalapeno flavors, along with the pentos, make tha trip out of Fort Worth.
Joe

David_NYC
RE: I'm at a loss 2013/12/07 22:38:38 (permalink)
Was just in a Northeast Sam's Club today because they are having a free open-house (no membership fee or 10% surcharge) this weekend. They are selling #10 cans of Ranch Style Beans for $4.38 or so. So for people in the Northeast who can't get Ranch Style Beans in local supermarkets, try Sam's Club.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1