Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I'm at a loss

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 95
MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
I'm at a loss Sat, 02/23/08 11:39 PM (permalink)
for years I've made my chili beans with Texas Ranch Style beans. About a year ago I'd bought a case, 24 cans, at WM. I went in about 3 weeks ago to buy another. They didn't have any, no longer carry it.

So I checked 2 other grocery stores, no luck. Then another WM, zip. I went online and found it is a Con-Agra product. Their website sid that Target had them. So I made a special trip to Target. Nada.

So I broke down and used canned pintos, just wasn't the same. Last night I made a batch using Hanover brand Chili Beans. Better then plain pintos but still not the same.

I guess I'm gonna have to break down and pay a ridiculous price to have a case shipped to me.

These beans really made the taste I liked.

I've got a big pot-luck dinner on 3/15 that I want to make chili beans and cornbread for. Guess I better get shopping.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
    RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 2:16 PM (permalink)
    Mike, I have a can of Ranch Style Beans in my hand. They are in almost every store here in Texas. But, I does not say Texas anywhere on the can. If I put beans in chili I use these also. I make other stuff with em to but maybe thats anouther thread.
    Joe

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
      RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 4:53 PM (permalink)
      I thought Texans didn't put beans in chili. What gives?

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
        RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 5:42 PM (permalink)
        Mike,

Have you tried those famous Rum Runners, Food Lion? They list a recipe using Ranch Style Beans on their web site:
        http://www.foodlion.com/whatsnew/ConAgra-recipes.asp

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
          RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 6:12 PM (permalink)
          Rum Runners? For the uneducated, what???

PapaJoe8

RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 6:39 PM (permalink)
            Davyd, read the chili section here and you will know that this Texan might put almost anything in his chili, including "smoked Oysrers"! Real Texans arnt skeerd about what they put in their chili!

The Ranch Style mystery, in Texas it does not say Texas Ranch Style.

And oh, I like the "sweet onion" and "jalapeno" flavors.
            Joe

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
              RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 6:55 PM (permalink)
              I just dont like this beans and chili thing. Next he will be asking which ketchup to put on a hot dog and how to make tuna salad with miracle whip....Russ

David_NYC

RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 6:57 PM (permalink)
                Jeepguy,

The Food Lion chain sells a lot of southern regional grocery brands in their stores in WV, VA, DE, MD, and PA. None of their competitors do, so if you are looking for a southern brand, this chain might have it.

PapaJoe8

RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 7:23 PM (permalink)
                  Russ, as hard as I try to make a great pot of chili, my sweety says "it needs a little ketchup". Hey, it's OK. When making chili for just me and her I beat her to the punch! And oh, Miricle Whip is a whole nother story...

One of my daughters puts ketchup on everything. My requist is that she tasts it first. On rare occasion she says "It's fine like it is".

I think I might start a Ranch Style Beans thread. I have allot of recipes! Maybe next week, unless someone wants to beat me to the punch?
                  Joe

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 8:18 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by jeepguy
                    Rum Runners? For the uneducated, what???

Jeepguy,
                    Well, for one thing, it requires a fast boat....
                    Unprohibitionally, Ort. Carlton in Legally Wet For All Beverages Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                      RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 8:24 PM (permalink)
                      Dearfolk,
                      One brand or another of Ranch Style Beans is available in practically every store in Athens. There is the brand you specify here (Texas Ranch Style) and there's Husband Pleasin' Ranch Style Beans.
                      Oh -- by the way -- I don't care whether you put beans in your chili or not. (My late father made an occasional pot using garbanzos; he called it Tampa Style Chili, and it even contained leftover chicken & yellow rice!) I only care what it tastes like.
                      Be nice to have a bowl of something similar right about when I leave the library.
                      Nowhere Near Chillicothe, Ort. Carlton in Cool But Not Chili Athens, Georgia.
                      P. S. There's a township west of Rochester, New York named Chili... it's pronounced CHI.lie. Maybe I ought to ask for a bowl of CHI.lie at Allen's tomorrow.

seatown76

• Total Posts: 379
                        RE: I'm at a loss Sun, 02/24/08 8:40 PM (permalink)
                        Can you believe that they put pasta in the chili in Wisconsin........that ain't right.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                          RE: I'm at a loss Mon, 02/25/08 1:23 AM (permalink)
                          What throws me is Kidney beans in chili, I just hate that.

David NYC, I thought I checked FoodLion but I will again for sure. Thanks for the recipe.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: I'm at a loss Mon, 02/25/08 1:26 AM (permalink)
                            PapaJoe, not having a can in thwe house or county all I can go on is memory. I know fer sure they are Ranch Style and believe they say Texas on the can somewhere. OH wwll, I'll check FL tomorrow.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                              RE: I'm at a loss Mon, 02/25/08 9:44 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Davyd, read the chili section here and you will know that this Texan might put almost anything in his chili, including "smoked Oysrers"! Real Texans arnt skeerd about what they put in their chili!
                              Joe

Maybe I should put it another way from watching too many food shows. Every Texas chili cookoff contest I've watched they NEVER put beans in the chili.

My wife puts beans in chili and thinks it is proper. My mother put both beans and chopped spaghetti in chili. My chili has no beans, no spaghetti and no hamburger.

David_NYC

RE: I'm at a loss Mon, 02/25/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                Chains others have reported selling Ranch Style beans produced by ConAgra are Harris-Teeter and Sav-A-Lot, but a phone call to the local store before going is definitely in order here.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                  RE: I'm at a loss Mon, 02/25/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by MikeS.

David NYC, I thought I checked FoodLion but I will again for sure. Thanks for the recipe.

Wow, I'm glad I read all the way through this thread. I use both dark and light kidney beans, always have always will.Guess I won't make that suggestion now!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                    RE: I'm at a loss Mon, 02/25/08 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Concur. I despise them so much I pick them out.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: I'm at a loss Tue, 02/26/08 3:01 AM (permalink)
                                      Davydd, please notice that in the very 1st sentence I specify chili beans. They are a totally seperate item from chili. My parents both came from Texas to Calif where I was born and raised. I know how to make a decent "bowl of red" when I want to. I prefer chili beans and make that more often.

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: I'm at a loss Tue, 02/26/08 3:05 AM (permalink)
                                        Rusty246, having spent my 1st 41 years in Calif. I don't ever remember being served chili beans made with kidney beans. I didn't stumble upon that style until I traveled east of the Mississippi in 1985. I don't care for kidney beans in any style. But detest them in chili. I just won't eat any chili that is made with them.

Feel free to make yours anyway you like them.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                          RE: I'm at a loss Tue, 02/26/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Davydd, please notice that in the very 1st sentence I specify chili beans. They are a totally seperate item from chili. My parents both came from Texas to Calif where I was born and raised. I know how to make a decent "bowl of red" when I want to. I prefer chili beans and make that more often.

MikeS.

MikeS could you share the recipe?...Thanks Russ

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                            RE: I'm at a loss Tue, 02/26/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Davydd

Every Texas chili cookoff contest I've watched they NEVER put beans in the chili.

That's because, beans are not allowed in sanctioned events except in the people's choice category. But, as I've argued before, the omission of beans from the competition is merely to tighten the ingredients list so that the competition chilis can actually be compared to one another, rather than a rule created for any "auntheticity" reasons. If the ingredients list was too large, and allowed for beans, the chilis would be too different to be compared. Competition chili is also much hotter (spicy hot) than regular chili. I think most people around the country would find the competition winning chilis unpalatable. Competition cooking is a whole other beast.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                              RE: I'm at a loss Tue, 02/26/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:

Rusty246, having spent my 1st 41 years in Calif. I don't ever remember being served chili beans made with kidney beans. I didn't stumble upon that style until I traveled east of the Mississippi in 1985. I don't care for kidney beans in any style. But detest them in chili. I just won't eat any chili that is made with them.

Feel free to make yours anyway you like them.

I wonder if it's a W.Va thing? I just make it the way my Mom makes it, have no idea who taught her....my parents as well as my grandparents were all born and raised in W.Va. I was born there but moved to FL at a very early age. Can any fellow W. Virginians help me out?

PapaJoe8

RE: I'm at a loss Tue, 02/26/08 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                                Can someone smarter than me maybe find a picture of a can of Ranch Style Beans that says "Texas" on it, and post it here? I remember maybe seeing this somewhere. Maybe Con Agra puts Texas on the label as a marketing ploy in states other than Texas?

Oh, I like the "sweet onion" and "jalapeno" flavors of Ranch Style Beans also.
                                                Joe

David_NYC

RE: I'm at a loss Wed, 02/27/08 12:37 AM (permalink)
                                                  PapaJoe,

There are two different labels depicted on the following three pages.The one on Amazon.com reads "Original Texas Beans, authentic Western Flavor". The trademark is just the two words "Ranch Style".

http://www.texmex.net/products/foods.htm
                                                  http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2006/08/to-bean-or-not-to-bean.html
                                                  http://www.amazon.com/Ranch-Style-Original-Texas-Beans/dp/B000K2CSS0

There are also references on the web that indicate that what now says Appetite Pleasin' on one of the labels used to say Husband Pleasin' ( as originally mentioned above by Ort. Carlton.) PC, no doubt.

Latest news on the web indicates ConAgra will continue production in Fort Worth, rather than move production to north Fort Worth. I saw some Ro-tel tomato products today in a Big Lots out on Long Island, and the label had an address of a ConAgra post office box number in Dallas.

Trademark Info:
                                                  Typed Drawing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                  Word Mark RANCH STYLE
                                                  Goods and Services IC 030. US 046. G & S: Rice. FIRST USE: 19991000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19991000
                                                  Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
                                                  Serial Number 76317810
                                                  Filing Date September 28, 2001
                                                  Current Filing Basis 1A
                                                  Original Filing Basis 1A
                                                  Published for Opposition November 5, 2002
                                                  Registration Number 2680166
                                                  Registration Date January 28, 2003
                                                  Owner (REGISTRANT) ConAgra Grocery Products Company CORPORATION DELAWARE 3353 Michelson Drive Irvine CALIFORNIA 92612
                                                  (LAST LISTED OWNER) CONAGRA BRANDS, INC. CORPORATION NEBRASKA ONE CONAGRA DRIVE OMAHA NEBRASKA 68102

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
                                                  Attorney of Record Patrick C. Stephenson
                                                  Prior Registrations 0726319;0910457;1781600
                                                  Type of Mark TRADEMARK
                                                  Register PRINCIPAL
                                                  Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
                                                    RE: I'm at a loss Wed, 02/27/08 12:46 AM (permalink)
                                                    It's good to see that any chili thread still degenerates into a debate about beans.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                      • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: I'm at a loss Wed, 02/27/08 12:55 AM (permalink)
                                                      And it shall never end Saps... Never mind the proteins or nutrients, lets just hate the bean.
                                                      (then have it as a side dish with our tacos or tex-mex dinner).

enginecapt

RE: I'm at a loss Wed, 02/27/08 2:10 AM (permalink)
                                                        I've never seen kidney beans served as a side dish to Mexican or Tex-Mex food Vic.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                          • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: I'm at a loss Wed, 02/27/08 3:08 AM (permalink)
                                                          Enginecapt... I took your original response on the wrong foot... Now that I read it again, I get a good laugh... Kidney beans are served as a side dish all over the poor nation of Michigan! I love kidney beans,.. Heck, never thought of incorporating them into a tex-mex mess, but I bet, given time, I could come up with something...

enginecapt

• Location: Fontana, CA
                                                            RE: I'm at a loss Wed, 02/27/08 3:30 AM (permalink)
                                                            I love beans in chili, but not kidneys. Pintos, yes.

P.S. I read that as Tex-mess...... hey, a new name for Texas cuisine!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com