I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/04/19 17:53:12 (permalink)

I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already

Have been for about 2 weeks, it's as good as summer corn, and thru the roof expensive, anyone else buying it?

57 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2504
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/19 18:06:10 (permalink)
    If we all had your money we would be eating Corn on the cobb to. Thanks for rubbing it is................
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18853
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/19 18:28:09 (permalink)
    There's a law somewhere making it illegal to eat corn on the cob prior to late July.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3601
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/19 18:35:49 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

There's a law somewhere making it illegal to eat corn on the cob prior to late July.

Exactly. The plants are supposed to be knee-high by the fourth of July.

Not that there isn't corn on the cob available in grocery stores here, but I shudder to think where it comes from.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/19 19:02:21 (permalink)
    In late July, in Oklahoma,  
    THE CORN IS AS HIGH AS AN ELEPHANT'S EYE !!!!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/19 19:10:18 (permalink)
    And I just happen to have an elephant in my yard that is used to measure.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/19 22:43:48 (permalink)
    CTF     getting S. FL yellow corn. Then Zellwood.  
     Our local corn comes in middle to Late June. Season will be in full swing by July 4th
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/20 07:27:11 (permalink)
    I'm just starting to see it in the stores too. I resist the urge to buy it until I can get summer corn.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1857
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/20 11:32:26 (permalink)
    Got fresh corn turing up here too in Northern North Dakota. (And yes, we still have full snow cover)  Was 80 cents a cob, now 50 cents a cob.  It's... ok.  A far cry from fresh summertime out of your own garden corn, but after a long cold winter it teases for what's to come.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/20 11:38:46 (permalink)
    I swear this corn is mid Summer good, I need to ask where my veggi supplier, Avery Clark Produce, in Frederick, is getting it.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/20 12:16:30 (permalink)
    It looks like the corn is popping up ever where...........
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2033
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/20 12:16:53 (permalink)
    I grow about a half acre......I grew a lot more when I did it full time. I have not even planted yet. At one time I'd have planted 3 or 4 times by now. The early corn is expensive to grow, but folks were willing to pay top $$$ for the first early, local corn. Today, the shipped in corn is so good, that people are no longer willing to pay $6 or $7 a dozen for mine. I now sell cheaper corn starting 3 weeks later. I get $5 a dozen at farmers markets and don't do big volume. I think mine, and that of the other local farmers is better, but a lot of the public doesn't care.

I buy the supermarket corn myself this time of year, when it looks nice. Locally it is going for about 50 cents an ear, and will be far less in a month.

Supersweet corn keeps fine, under refrigeration, for 5 or 6 days, and is edible for another week, so a 24 to 36 hour transport time is no problem.

The best old time sweet corn grower that I knew, the late Vic Salo, wouldn't sell corn over 4 hours old. I got my corn growing merit badge from him. As a kid I fed his leftovers to my cows. I wonder what he would have thought of the new long keeping supersweets.
    WarToad
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/20 12:24:24 (permalink)
    Tmiles - Have you ever been to Mexico and had the corn there?  It's not sweetcorn, not nearly as sweet as what Americans like up here, but it has a much more rustic corn flavor.  I really like it.  Would you know it's name since you're a long time corn grower?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10348
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 04:17:09 (permalink)
    We're getting Sweet Corn from California and it is very good. Best price I've seen so far is 5 for $1.00
    Better than the corn from Mexico.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2033
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 06:02:35 (permalink)
    WarToad

Tmiles - Have you ever been to Mexico and had the corn there?  It's not sweetcorn, not nearly as sweet as what Americans like up here, but it has a much more rustic corn flavor.  I really like it.  Would you know it's name since you're a long time corn grower?

Most corn can be eaten on the cob when young. A lot of country folk my age and older remember eating "cow corn" in the tender milk stage. Most Mexican corn is a flour corn. Like our common cow corn, it can be picked early and eaten. It has a more corn like, less sweet flavor than modern sweet corn. One that has green kernels when mature "Oxaca" (sp?) is known to be especially good, although I have never had it myself. The best way to try the specialty stuff is to grow it yourself. Even if you don't have space, a lot of places have community garden plots available.  Corn without the supersweet gene does not keep or ship well, and has to be very fresh when you eat it. The corn that you had in Mexico was probably just hours from the field when you ate it.
    post edited by tmiles - 2011/04/21 06:07:45
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 11:09:09 (permalink)
    Maryland's Eastern Shore is known of course for it's wonderful Blue Crabs, whats overlooked is that it grows some of the finest produce  in the Country, not the least of which is early Sweert Corn, tough to top it!
    WarToad
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 11:23:16 (permalink)
    Thank you, Tmiles!  I have a little 40x20 garden.  Still have snow cover up here in northern ND and frozen earth, I doubt the ground will be warm enough to germinate anything until late May, maybe early June. so I still have time to hunt up some seeds.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8641
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 12:35:39 (permalink)
    I had some Florida corn recently, and it was God awful. Nothing like Wisconsin corn in late July/early August. I will wait.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 17:01:41 (permalink)
    Try it, you'll like it!
    Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
    Ingredients:
    4 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    ¼ cup grated cotija cheese
    4 wedges of lime
    Directions:
    Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
    Grill corn until hot and lightly charred all over, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the temperature of the grill. Roll the ears in melted butter, and then spread evenly with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and serve with a lime wedge.

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/21 17:05:04
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 17:08:24 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Try it, you'll like it!
    Ingredients:
    4 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    4 wedges of lime
    Directions:
    Grill corn until hot and lightly charred all over, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the temperature of the grill. Roll the ears in melted butter, and then spread evenly with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and serve with a lime wedge.

Never seen Cotija cheese, what's it like?

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 17:24:34 (permalink)
    When I was a kid there was a corn field next to the field where we played pickup baseball in the summer. After games we'd head into the field to (GASP) steal corn. It was plain old field corn, and I've alwys believed that the best tasting corn in the world is stolen field corn. It was young corn, and  and it was wonderful enough to eat right where we picked it. No cooking. Just picked, shucked and chewed.

And in case anyone is thinking about it, the statute of limitations has run out on all my corn thievery. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 17:27:20 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Foodbme

Try it, you'll like it!
    Ingredients:
    4 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    4 wedges of lime
    Directions:

QUESO COTIJA
    Sharp crumbly Goat cheese. “The Parmesan of Mexico”. Serve over Beans and Salads. You can grate it like you would Parmesan.
    Here's a complete glossary of Mexican Cheeses:
    MEXICAN CHEESE CHART 
    FRESH CHEESES
    QUESO BLANCO
    Creamy – Enchilada stuffing
    QUESO FRESCO
    Like Feta – Crumbly, sprinkle over enchiladas & taquitos and appetizers, (Botanas)
    QUESO PANELA (Also called queso de Canasta)
    Soft Cheese – Snack, Appetizer cheese sometimes flavored
    REQUESO
    Loose Ricotta-like. Enchilada filling and cheese spreads

SOFT CHEESES
    QUESO ANEJO
    Aged version of fresco. Garnish over anything
    QUESO OAXACA
    A.K.A.  Quesillo. Most popular for Quesadillas

SEMI-SOFT CHEESES
    QUESO ASADERO
    Melting cheese. Use for Queso Fundido
    QUESO CHIHUAHUA (Also Queso  Menonita)
    Yellow- Makes queso Frito Fried cheese. Like Cheddar
    QUESO JALAPENO
    Snack cheese. Use in quesadillas
     SEMI-FIRM CHEESES
    QUESO CRIOLLO
    Yellow – Similar to Munster
    OUESO MANCHEGO
    Yellow – Good for melting or with fruit or crackers. Similar to Monterrey Jack

FIRM CHEESES
    QUESO ANEJO ENCHILADO
    Queso Anejo with a spicy red coating. Serve as a Condiment like a strong feta.
    QUESO COTIJA
    Sharp crumbly Goat cheese. “The Parmesan of Mexico”. Serve over Beans and Salads
    QUESO MANCHEGO VIEJO
    Aged hard cheese. Use over Nachos, Taco  Salads, appetizers called Botanas

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 19:15:34 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Foodbme

Try it, you'll like it!
    Ingredients:
    4 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    4 wedges of lime
    Directions:

Chewy, dry and salty.....use your favorite Feta cheese...................
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 19:51:01 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

Foodbme

Try it, you'll like it!
    Ingredients:
    4 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    4 wedges of lime
    Directions:

It's supposed to be Dry, Salty & Chewy just like Parmesan.  What if you don't like Farta Cheese??   And you like Cotija Cheese? Farta doesn't stick to the corn like Cotija.
    Like all cheeses, they come in different quality levels. http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-cheese/cotija-cheese-102810.aspx
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/21 19:56:40
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 20:42:26 (permalink)
    Foodbme

PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

Foodbme

Try it, you'll like it!
    Ingredients:
    4 ears corn, shucked
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    4 wedges of lime
    Directions:

It's supposed to be Dry, Salty & Chewy just like Parmesan.  What if you don't like Farta Cheese??   And you like Cotija Cheese? Farta doesn't stick to the corn like Cotija.
    Like all cheeses, they come in different quality levels. http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-cheese/cotija-cheese-102810.aspx

Chewy as in Chewingthefat
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 21:09:08 (permalink)
    How does everyone cook their corn? I soak it in water, with the husk on for about 15 minutes, wrap it in foil with a splash more water, then toss it on the grill and let it steam in the husk.
    Soo tender,......
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 21:23:50 (permalink)
    First I peel back the husk and pull off the silk. Then I roll the husk back in place and soak for about an hour. After that I put the corn on the grill over coals with soaked wood chips -- hickory, mostly. Beyond believe delicious.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3601
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 21:25:49 (permalink)
    I started doing mine on the grill a couple of summers ago. Soak in water for a couple of hours and leave it in the husk. While grilling, spray every five minutes or so with a 2:1 mixture of your favourite red wine and water (I use burgundy, usually).
    Hot Dog Empire
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/21 21:56:34 (permalink)
    O.K, stop! Now I want corn!! As happy as I was with my results, I cant wait to try the other ways that you do it, C'mon summer...........!
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1177
    Re:I'm getting fresh corn on the cob already 2011/04/22 13:42:35 (permalink)
    No way I'm buying it, at .89 an ear, which is better than a couple of weeks ago when it was 3 for $4.  And what is out there, looks like what my mother used to call "blisters" - whitish, and
    skimpy(?)  Seems there's a small window when it's available and reasonable, and I think it's June-July.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1