I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice...

Author
eddysv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2011/04/24 05:31:37 (permalink)

I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice...

Hi Everyone :)

I just started a restaurant in my hometown selling typical foods from Mexico and South America.
Since I'm new I know I will come up to some roadblocks along the way and since I know there
are many restaurant professionals here I would like some advice on what problems I might run into...
and how I could prepare for them before they even happen...

Thanks guys!
Eddys

10 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2519
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/04/24 05:53:28 (permalink)
    eddysv

Hi Everyone :)

I just started a restaurant in my hometown selling typical foods from Mexico and South America.
    Since I'm new I know I will come up to some roadblocks along the way and since I know there
    are many restaurant professionals here I would like some advice on what problems I might run into...
    and how I could prepare for them before they even happen...

Thanks guys!
    Eddys

Welcome Eddy.
    watch cash flow...
    know your cost on everything
    know your labor cost and use as little labor as possible
    work the business, be there
    pay your bills on time
    talk with you customers, be open to change and suggestions
    build a good relationship with your sales people
    know the FOH and BOH like the back of your hand
    be level headed and fair to your employees
    train your employees with good sanitation guidelines and policies.
    make sure your employees are trained and know the menu, know what the food taste like and are proud to be a part of the restaurant............
    If you ever want to fire your Chef, you better know how to cook
    be the kind of boss you always wanted to work for............

That should keep you busy .............best of luck with the new restaurant..........pnwc

post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/04/24 05:55:25
    Parrot Cage
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/05/23 10:29:45 (permalink)
    If you ever want to fire your Chef, you better know how to cook

IMHO, you better know how to cook no matter what! I have seen too many restaurants fail because the owner can't even make a decent grilled cheese, which gives the Head Chef all the power. The next thing you know, the HC has run the kitchen into the ground and the owner is powerless to fire him.
    eddysv
    Junior Burger
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/05/23 11:02:06 (permalink)
    Wow thank you so much!  To be honest I'm not actually the one starting the restaurant...it's a friend of mine but I'm helping him I wasn't sure if you guys would even reply if I didn't write as the owner but it looks like you guys are nice people so I rather be honest from here on out... 

Thanks PNWChef for the tips you gave...we have started watching cash flow as closely as possible because at the time of me writing the first post my friend's restaurant had too many employees and he could have done with less...so we decided to let go of some people and we noticed we got the same amount of work done and we actually made more!  Thanks :)
    eddysv
    Junior Burger
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/05/23 11:03:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Parrot Cage :) 
    Yea that is something my friend definitely knows how to do very well...he is the head chef for right now...he's a damn good cook but eventually he will have to find somebody else to replace him so that he can spend more time on his business rather than running it...what restaurant do you currently have and where?
    Parrot Cage
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/05/23 11:05:58 (permalink)
    None yet, but I'll be starting a food truck in Southern Florida in the next year or so. I have to get moved down there and build my truck.
    eddysv
    Junior Burger
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/05/23 11:10:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like it will definitely be a ton of fun...What type of food truck?
    Parrot Cage
    Hamburger
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2011/05/23 12:01:27 (permalink)
    I'm calling it "Southern Florida Cuisine". It's a fusion of Caribbean/South American/Down Home Southern. I'm going to convert a 40 foot school bus.
    stevetamer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2012/05/16 21:13:29 (permalink)
    there are a few great ideas here, I only can say is actually internet and apps for smartphone are powerfull tools for markeking of your business, so, for a good restaurants sales online ordering  is a good choices for increase sales and expand your goals
    post edited by stevetamer - 2012/05/16 21:14:30
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2012/05/17 04:53:07 (permalink)
    Lock the back door! That's where your dishonest employees will go with your profits! And you WILL have some! Who's taking care of the front of the house while the owner is cooking? Get him out of the kitchen ASAP to manage the overall business. While he's cooking other parts of the business will go to hell!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    Re:I'm new to the restaurant business and need some quick advice... 2012/05/17 09:04:07 (permalink)
    I am surprised that nobody mentioned the fact that you HAVE to take inventory to know what your food cost is.  Take a scale and weigh EVERYTHING.  Look at all the ketchup bottles, mustards, condiments, etc. and inventory.  Submit it to your accountant and you will know your food cost.  Then you will know if you're making money or not. 
    Then, do not expect to have any time off.  You will work long hours for many days at a time.  Hey, it's the restaurant biz.  Good luck!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1