I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real...

Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
2004/04/28 16:37:00 (permalink)

I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real...

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/fields042604.asp

24 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/28 16:53:27 (permalink)
    Bushie, I appreciate people like this lady. People who sue at the drop of a hat and are somewhat opportunist really irk me like this fellow Spurlock.

Thanks for posting this.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/28 16:56:19 (permalink)
    Anybody with a name like Soso Whaley deserves a steady diet of MdD's!!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/28 16:56:46 (permalink)
    So, Soso's an airhead politician trying to get even lighter while selling her particular brand of social snake oil...
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/28 16:59:01 (permalink)
    So, Soso's an airhead politician trying to get even lighter while selling her particular brand of social medicine...
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/28 17:53:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

So, Soso's an airhead politician trying to get even lighter while selling her particular brand of social medicine...

Why is she an airhead?

I admit that a straight diet of McDonald's [|)]is a ridiculous notion. But then, look at the people who do eat there regularly... and moan about being fat. Ms. Whaley's point is legitimate. People make their own choices, they should deal with the consequences rather than blaming others.
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/28 18:26:20 (permalink)
    The most ridiculous comment in the whole "healtful McDonalds" spiel was that their executive in charge of health said that some customers were makng health-conscious decisions like ordering a burger without the bun. Yikes! "Hold the pickle, hold the bun. One look at that naked, gray slab, and I'm bound to run."
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 08:13:47 (permalink)
    Is there another article, cus when I click this link I get an article about muslim women's rights..
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 08:24:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

Is there another article, cus when I click this link I get an article about muslim women's rights..

Another day, another editorial. Try this: http://www.cei.org/pages/debunk/debunk_the_junk.cfm
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 08:30:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ahmicchick

quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

Another day, another editorial. Try this: http://www.cei.org/pages/debunk/debunk_the_junk.cfm

Click on to what was orignally posted. To the right of the woman's right article, you will see a column. Click on editorials/op-ed and then scroll down to regular columnists and click on DOWNSIZING THE 'VICTIM' and you will be able to read what was posted.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 08:43:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/sfields.htm

Just out of curiosity, what does that op-ed piece about women in Iran and Iraq have to do with McDonald's?

By the way, I meant to ask you something a long time back. Was Ike Sewell who started Uno and played ball at UT related to Harley Sewell, who also played ball at UT?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 09:16:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Just out of curiosity, what does that op-ed piece about women in Iran and Iraq have to do with McDonald's?

By the way, I meant to ask you something a long time back. Was Ike Sewell who started Uno and played ball at UT related to Harley Sewell, who also played ball at UT?

Well, Mr. Hoffman, women in Iraq have been demanding their right to eat at McDonald's, ya see, and...

I changed the link in my original post to the archived article on a different site, so it works again.

As to the Sewell's, I don't know. When I saw your question, I did some searches to see if I could find out, but I don't see any mention of their being related. Harley could be Ike's son, but it doesn't say that anywhere that I could find. If I find out for sure, I'll let you know.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 09:31:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Well, Mr. Hoffman, women in Iraq have been demanding their right to eat at McDonald's, ya see, and...

I changed the link in my original post to the archived article on a different site, so it works again.

As to the Sewell's, I don't know. When I saw your question, I did some searches to see if I could find out, but I don't see any mention of their being related. Harley could be Ike's son, but it doesn't say that anywhere that I could find. If I find out for sure, I'll let you know.

Great. Thanks. Harley was drafted by the Detroit Lions after his last season at UT.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 12:20:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the redirect. What this article highlights for me more than anythign is that any research stuy can be skewed for any results you want.

But some things are clear. McDonald's food is not healthy. Period. But they are not jamming it down my mouth. I have a choice.

However, what i dont have a choice about is seeing their litter all over the place, their general blight on the roadfood landscape. They can sell all the fatening food they want to. I care more about thier effect on the environment, and the farmer. I know they actually throw their weight around for good sometimes with farming practices. But they equally throw it around for not so good reasons.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 12:51:05 (permalink)

You know there is one thing that really bothers me about the whole "food" issue as it relates to Americans (and others) who have major problems with obesity and other food related affictions....and the rest of the world (at least a good part of it) that suffers starvation, famine, and malnutrition constantly.
    Why can't we find a way to balance this "Peaks and Valley's" concept of food production and distribution to provide for ALL??

I know...It's Soylent Green time !! But really I can't imagine how people in the third world famine area's having would have any understanding of some of the discussions we share about some of our topics here...or of American food industry as a whole, exist.
    This is not meant to be a "slam" to anyones diet habits...but it seems to be a major factor in contributing to why much of the world has no understanding at all of the American culture and our way of life. It isn't a case of "Blame" it is a reality, and if we are every going to have some sort of mutual world understanding, one of the area's to be resolved will be to feed everyone...(not the same stuff- but to be sure there is food for all).
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 14:12:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

"Hold the pickle, hold the bun. One look at that naked, gray slab, and I'm bound to run."

See, Grampy? You'd lose all kinds of weight on the McDonald's diet - fewer calories and more exercise!
    Grampy
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 14:27:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ahmicchick

quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

"Hold the pickle, hold the bun. One look at that naked, gray slab, and I'm bound to run."

See, Grampy? You'd lose all kinds of weight on the McDonald's diet - fewer calories and more exercise!

Exercise is the shortest road to the grave -- Horace Rumpole.
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 14:42:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

But really I can't imagine how people in the third world famine area's having would have any understanding of some of the discussions we share about some of our topics here...or of American food industry as a whole, exist.

This is not meant to be a "slam" to anyones diet habits...but it seems to be a major factor in contributing to why much of the world has no understanding at all of the American culture and our way of life. It isn't a case of "Blame" it is a reality, and if we are every going to have some sort of mutual world understanding, one of the area's to be resolved will be to feed everyone...(not the same stuff- but to be sure there is food for all).

Mr. Mayor, you are right about the lack of understanding. As an example, I was traveling in Ukraine a few years ago. We were stuck in the country an extra couple of weeks because of bureaucratic red tape. My husband frequently ran into another couple, Italians, who were on the same wild goose chase with bureaucrats that we were. The Italian man complained bitterly about the poor food. We laughed in sympathy with the Italian.

But when our Ukrainian friend heard about the Italian's complaint, he was angry and confounded. How could anybody care about something so unnecessary as the taste of food? Concern about such a luxury was incomprehensible to him. And this was from someone who was very successful, FAR from starvation and poor living conditions (by 3rd world standards). We took him and a couple of other Ukrainian friends to a Mexican restaurant in Kyiv for a celebratory dinner one night. It was very expensive for Mexican food, but really pretty good. The Ukrainians enjoyed the dinner, but I got the impression that they were too polite to tell us that the expense was ludicrous.

Funnily enough, the Ukrainians we knew all LOVED McDonald's. (The quality of the food there was better than here, better dairy and better burgers.) These friends were with us every day helping us get through the administrative red tape, which typically took about twelve hours each day. By evening we were usually too tired to cook, and with few other alternatives, we'd frequently take our group to eat at McDonald's. We apologized because it was just fast food, but they thanked us profusely for taking them to their favorite restaurant. They marveled at McDonald's because, although it was expensive to them, they knew the meals were cheap by American standards, and so delicious!

Back to your point, how to feed the world? I wish I knew. It seems to be such a big problem as to be insurmountable. I tried to be charitable in Ukraine, but I strongly suspect that the donations I made did not go to the malnourished orphans that I wanted to help. Instead, I believe the money and donated formula served only to line the pockets of the opportunistic and corrupt "protectors" of those children. I don't know how to get around the parasites who would feed off of charity intended for others, so I focus on what I CAN do for my local food bank.

[Looking down] Hey, where'd this soapbox come from?
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 15:00:58 (permalink)
    I found the whole article just so-so.
    Grampy
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 16:05:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

I found the whole article just so-so.

Ho, ho!
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 16:40:47 (permalink)
    This just gives proof to the old adage "You are what you eat" !!!!

I never could understand some opportunist sueing a fast food joint for making them obese. Yeah, they don't know how to limit their intake, choose healthy fat-free foods, or excercise, but it's the chains fault they put on weight. I think it's great that Soso is putting the reverse on the idea that you can't lose weight eating fast food. With the right choices and portions, she's giving McD's some wonderful PR. Now if I could only follow her example
    Grampy
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 17:24:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

I have a feeling she eats baloney with nutty fruitcake on the side, then.
    evilpez
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 17:30:01 (permalink)
    http://www.supersizeme.com/

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 18:34:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by berndog

I never could understand some opportunist sueing a fast food joint for making them obese. Yeah, they don't know how to limit their intake, choose healthy fat-free foods, or excercise, but it's the chains fault they put on weight. I think it's great that Soso is putting the reverse on the idea that you can't lose weight eating fast food. With the right choices and portions, she's giving McD's some wonderful PR. Now if I could only follow her example

I agree completely. Your choice makes you what you are. Regarless of Soso's name, I appreciate people standing up to what is right. Fools who overeat and blame it on the association have only themselves to blame. Food has been available since the beginning of man. People have to discipline themselves and not blame opportunity.

Alcohol is available and if you over indulge, it is your fault, KK is available and if you over indulge, it is your fault, buffets are available and if you over indulge, it is your fault. Discipline with habits are our responsibility.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Martha-Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: I'm no fan of McD's, but let's get real... 2004/04/29 22:12:57 (permalink)
    Because I must have done something truly awful in my previous life, I am an insurance adjuster (or the ever popular "claims representative"). The things which are submitted as liability claims alternately make me want to laugh or scream. I have received a claim from someone who had an allergic reaction to fish in a fast food chain who admitted he had similar reactions in the past, and chose to eat shellfish anyway; I had a woman who saw what appeared to be a piece of glass on a pizza from which she had not taken a bite, but insisted that since she loved pizza, and it was the only pizza place in town, she was entitled to travel expenses to go elsewhere to secure her pizza fix. I had to point out that I was pretty sure there was more than one pizza place in the greater Raleigh area. But my favorite is still the woman who tripped on the steps at a steakhouse buffet. I asked her if she saw the signs ("Watch your step!") and she said yes.
    I asked her if there was a problem with the handrails (one on each side). Her priceless reply: "How am I supposed to hold on the rail with two plates of food?" Clearly the restaurant was responsible for leaving those extra plates at the buffet, making her load up and put herself in peril!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1