Imaginative Condiments

Author
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
2011/09/05 18:59:04 (permalink)

Imaginative Condiments

Thanks to Weinie Wills website I came across this selection of 74 inovative condiment suggestions from "around the world" from a Bon Appetit article several years ago.  I know non-standard condiments are heresey to some here, but I think there are some interesting ideas here.  I stopped by a new hot dog joint in the Brookdale section of Bloomfield NJ today but they were closed to replace the flooring so I stopped in at the local butcher and bought some baked beans.  Made me think of making a dog wrapped in bacon with baked beans as a topping.  Then came across this site, which has something similar.  The Mole and Sesame seed topping also looks intrigueing.
I can't post links yet, but if you add the standard prefix with bonappetit.com and the suffix below you should get there.
 /magazine/2009/07/international_hot_dogs

ed

6 Replies Related Threads

John Fox
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2339
    Re:Imaginative Condiments 2011/09/05 19:11:14 (permalink)
    I'll never tell anyone how to enjoy their hot dogs, but personally I think most condiments/toppings don't go well with a hot dog. To me less is more. I want to taste the frankfurter, it's spicing, and overall flavor. With the brands, casings, and types of hot dogs (all beef, pork/beef) and the many ways of preparing them, there is plenty of variety without adding all sorts of things that mask rather than enhance the flavor of a simple hot dog. I especially dislike the current "haute dog" trend.

I invite all to join our Facebook page, Hot Dog Nation. There is a current thread pertaining to this topic.

"Not a fan of the trendy new hot dog bistros offering up "haute dogs" consisting of, but not limited to salsa, guacamole, sambal, cream cheese, scallions, kimchee, deep fried mayo, tomato molasses, freeze dried onions, shredded romaine, raspberry wasabi sauce, foie gras, truffles, peanut butter, and other such ingredients that have no business desecrating an All Ameican hot dog.

They've got to be laughing over at old school hot dog joints like Rutt's Hut, Hiram's, and Charlies Pool Room. And questioning the manliness of these new designer "haute dogs." Or as a fellow Roadfooder likes to call them, "Alternative Lifestyle Hot Dogs."
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    Re:Imaginative Condiments 2011/09/05 19:33:11 (permalink)
    I'll post it for you:
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2009/07/international_hot_dogs
    I'm a basic condiments guy but some of them look to be worth a try.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/09/06 01:55:42
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8115
    Re:Imaginative Condiments 2011/09/05 19:46:45 (permalink)
    I don't like a ton of different topping on my hot dogs, but I do switch them up now and then.

The Weiner Factory that used to be in Sherman Oaks, California offered German red cabbage, a type of sweat and sour slaw as one of their toppings.  It was great by itself on a hot dog.

I'm a fan of Hellish Relish put out by the Datl Do-It company.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    Re:Imaginative Condiments 2011/09/05 20:01:33 (permalink)
    There are a few on that list I would eat, but they are the ones we have all talked about-the New York, the Coney, etc. I agree with John, I want to taste the hot dog!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5094
    Re:Imaginative Condiments 2011/09/05 20:07:06 (permalink)
    As an old ex New Yorker, I suppose I don't have list the only condiment(s) you'll find on my dogs.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Imaginative Condiments 2011/09/05 21:43:35 (permalink)
    mar52

The Weiner Factory that used to be in Sherman Oaks, California offered German red cabbage, a type of sweat and sour slaw as one of their toppings.  It was great by itself on a hot dog.

mar52, I love sweet & sour red cabbage, but I have never tried sweat and sour slaw on a hot dog.  I probably wouldn't like it, though, since it would probably be somewhat salty, and I don't like salt. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1