Immigration-Let's be gentle

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6813
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/09 21:07:48 (permalink)
Lest we not forget the lines from the poem "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 01:55:08 (permalink)
-First off, if you're going to toss around the words "legal" and "illegal" as absolutes, make sure that you have never broken a posted speed limit.

-If we ever really truly wanted to shut down the Mexico-U.S. border, we would have done it a long time ago. The fact is that the U.S. has allowed border crossings. We've created our own problem.

-Part of the reason that we can still somewhat be competitive in a global economy is the fact that we have been able to use lower wage Mexican labor, especially in the manufacturing sector. This includes both "illegal" and "legal" crossers.

-In reality, if you were to hem the borders shut, and somehow force anyone considered "illegal" to go back to Mexico, it would force the majority of U.S. manufacturing to relocate their plants to Mexico to take advantage of the Mexican labor pool. It would be a great boost to the Mexican economy, injurious to ours, in both the small and large busines arenas.

Personally, I don't want to see anyone sent back. What we need to do is to drastically tighten the borders and contol the influx of entries into the country.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 03:15:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Years ago if you showed up it was legal. Just get here...the US would call you Without Passport. Now the laws are BS. Set foot on US soil and "come on in" as long as you come in from saltwater. Get caught on the water by the Coast Guard and you're headed back to where ever. Freshwater (read Rio Grande) and you're "wetback".

While I won't get into your mixed-up explanation of the current laws except to point out that the saltwater thing applies only to one group--Cubans--and the debate about that is a separate subject, I simply reject arguments that suggest the laws can be disobeyed with impunity because they are inconvenient or even wrong-headed. In a Constitutional democracy, our representatives make the laws and we are ALL expected to obey them whether we like them or not. If we don't like them, we work to change them.

During the early part of its history, America needed more people--to colonize the continent. But when our government began to perceive that we no longer needed "everybody who could get here" they made laws about who could come in. As our elected representatives, they have the duty to make such laws and they had every right to do it. All other countries do as well--even Mexico does what it can to restrict who can cross its borders INTO the country. And as our government had the duty to make law as they saw necessary, those of us who are or want to be Americans have the duty to obey the law or, if we choose the path of civil disobendience, to pay the price.

As far as I am concerned, all arguments suggesting that illegal immigration is OK because the immigration laws we have are bad laws are out of bounds. Sorry, but if we are to remain civilized, flagrant lawbreaking is not OK. Not for non-citizens and not for citizens. And especially not for the selfish folks who benefit off of the willingness of illegals to work for pathetically low wages.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 03:24:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

-In reality, if you were to hem the borders shut, and somehow force anyone considered "illegal" to go back to Mexico, it would force the majority of U.S. manufacturing to relocate their plants to Mexico to take advantage of the Mexican labor pool. It would be a great boost to the Mexican economy, injurious to ours, in both the small and large busines arenas.

Personally, I don't want to see anyone sent back. What we need to do is to drastically tighten the borders and contol the influx of entries into the country.

I don't think it's a matter of "sending" anyone back. It's a matter of inducing some to decide to go back which they will do if they cannot find a job. That's a matter of cracking down on those who hire illegals--no matter how well they shine the pots or pick the asparagus. I don't have much sympathy for such people because in the end, their motivation is selfishness. It's simply cheaper or easier to hire illegals than to find good legal help and pay what it requires.

The fact that anything we might do would "boost the Mexican economy" is not a bad thing. Some would argue much of the solution to the problem lays in boosting the mexican economy so Mexicans can find work at home. A part of the impetus behind NAFTA and other US efforts over the years has been to do that. So if getting control of the border accomplishes it, so much the better.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3755
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 07:32:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

That's a matter of cracking down on those who hire illegals--no matter how well they shine the pots or pick the asparagus. I don't have much sympathy for such people because in the end, their motivation is selfishness. It's simply cheaper or easier to hire illegals than to find good legal help and pay what it requires.

I am by no means trying to change the subject, but I see a bizarre parallel here. The same argument stated above is the argument that many people who are accused of taking steriods for athletic gain maintain -- they need the juice to stay competetive with those other players who take steroids to enhance their play. So, in theory, if everyone stopped taking steroids, then the need to take steroids to get ahead would be gone.

So, in this case, people would need to hire illegals because the competition also hire illegals to save money/remain competetive/whatever. If everyone else stopped hiring illegals, then no one would have to, because the price of asparagus would rise to meet the increased cost of production.

I actually have a tougher time buying the steroid theory than I do buying the same logic for illegals.
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 12:28:09 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3152
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 13:41:44 (permalink)
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1983
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 15:54:53 (permalink)
I have composed and deleted a lot for this thread. It is easy to get emotional.
We can stop illegals from coming in, but few Americans are willing to pay the price....fact is if we had the type of country that did what it will take to keep them OUT, a lot of us would want to LEAVE.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 16:07:55 (permalink)
I understand what Lleechef is talking about. When I lived in Massachusetts, there were many Brazilians working 2 sometimes 3 jobs, and they sent most of their money home to their families. They are a hardworking and proud people. They taught me some Portuguese, I taught them some English.
Now I work with mostly Mexicans and Guatamleans, and they too are working 2 and 3 jobs.. They take jobs no one wants, and never complain, and will do anything within reason to help you with something.
I grew up in Miami, and remember all the Cubans coming over in the early 60's. Then I witnessed Fidel dumping his trash on our beautiful city.
The Cubans back in the 60's were just like the current Brazilians, Mexicans, and any cental American country now. They just want to get ahead. They arent taking jobs from us.
American needs to quit sending OUR jobs across the borders and overseas!
plb
  • Total Posts : 1030
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 16:39:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

I have composed and deleted a lot for this thread. It is easy to get emotional.
We can stop illegals from coming in, but few Americans are willing to pay the price....fact is if we had the type of country that did what it will take to keep them OUT, a lot of us would want to LEAVE.

And go where? What country do you think would treat you as an illegal alien better than illegal aliens are treated here?
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/10 16:55:16 (permalink)
http://demand1.stream.aol.com/ramgen/cnn/aolbb/moos/2006/03/27/moos.not.going.dutch.affl_rv8.rm
Going Dutch? what you must watch if you want to immigrate to The Netherlands...

Real player video from CNN
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 10:35:47 (permalink)
Hello All,
Just a few thoughts...it's hard to put things down all at once. Life is a river that takes
us in many twists and long stretches, currents and ebbs...so hard to say this is what is.
I would hope, but not expect, to find a better and new way of life if where I lived was
destroying or eating away at my family or myself. There is something in the nature of
humans to seek to prosper and grow. Something in us all that demands we not accept being less
than what we are or what we have.
A Question, (which I have no universal answer, but only a personal one) Are the laws made
for the benefit of all people, or for the system that supports a a way of life that attempts to serve
the welfare of a group and for the preservation of that system? It is a stupid question, because we
are all interlinked. The law must serve all people for it to be just, but reality teaches us that
laws are made and enforced to preserve the welfare of both the people and the system. The system is
needed to make sure society doesn't break down and thus have chaos rule. Laws must create a reality or
reflect a reality.
But then, it seems that we have laws that do not conform the reality. We have immigration laws,
that we are trying to enforce, but it is not working. And many, including big and little business, do not
really wish the current laws to work. I repeat, laws must create a reality or reflect a reality.
And I believe, the laws should not only reflect the will of a people, but the reality of life. It is
burden to the heart and soul of good people to create and maintain unrealistical laws. We get so stressed by the disobeying of
laws that are so easily breached and distained by business, religion, and individually.
Are laws not to be our servants rather than our masters?
And when laws are so universally disregarded, what is their value?
There are harsher penalities for d.u.i. and smoking in public in many areas that for being illegal.
Laws must be relevent.
Laws also must do no harm, but promote and aid the general welfare of the people. And when making laws we must look at how they will
affect not only our generation, but generations after.
I am sure that when the Spaniards threw out Jewish people who wouldn't convert in the 1480' or 1490's (not sure of the date at the moment), they were addressing "problems" of their day, but look how it affected generations and also created an image of what was a rich, and growing empire.
But I am learning about life and not an authority.
I simply want to live in love and some version of harmony. And will grow to say more as I become more than
I am now.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 10:57:08 (permalink)
I was thinking about this the other day. Forget the law for a second -- consider that all immigrants are legal immigrants. I was driving around central Florida the other day and got off the highway and there was a young beggar there with the usual sign that said some variation of "I would like a handout."

I got the impression that some of the folks who would stop and offer some money are the same people who would criticize the immigration policies. I guess I find it ironic that people would oppose folks coming into our country to better their lives through hard work and hand out money to someone who appeared able to work but chooses to spend time at the side of the road looking for a handout.

It also caused me to reflect on the fact that I don't think in all my years that I have ever seen illegal immigrants on the side of the road looking for money -- the signs are never in Spanish, for one, and they usually say that they are homeless "veterans."

Just seemed a little like a paradox.
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 12:10:21 (permalink)
Fieldthistle,
Were you that interesting yet stragely distant person who hung out in from of the Blimpie's in Chapel Hill in the mid seventies? If not, it was your soul mate.

Laws, IMHO, are guide lines but not rigid. Why we have lawyers. Yes, I was moving at 64 mph in a 55 mph zone but I was keeping track w/ the traffic...dismissed charges. I killed your dog on the road (public land even though I pay taxes for my side) because he had run my cattle...dismissed charges.

Immigration laws are down right absurd. They make the illegals pay taxes they will never reap benefits from and also make them second class persons. They fear reporting other illegal situations and work under unfair conditions.

The reason they are here is ECONOMICS...they need a better life and Americans won't do they jobs they take. No BS...try hiring for a lawn crew, dry wall hangers or basic laborers w/o Mexicans.

I adverised for field workers at double the mininum wage and only Mexicans showed up. I put the notice up in four local high schools and had NO response from either whites or blacks.

I know this in not PC but the Mexicans have the work concept that made America great. The last time I had a group of high school and college kids (white and black) do my field work it was a diaster. Pot smoking, drinking and VERY poor production.

My oldest daughter speaks Spanish and handles the field workers now. She is 5'10" tall, green eyes, blonde hair, drop dead beautiful and she is totally in control. She reminds me of some pulp novel crap as she rides her horse through the field giving orders. Generally she leads the horse while on foot but Lord help the crew that missed a section of ripe tomatoes.

And why did I take four years of German?
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 13:35:45 (permalink)
Let's face it. We've been conquered without a shot being fired. The pure arrogance of refusing to learn the "official" language and the insistence on cultural accommodations make me feel like I'm the immigrant. I expect to be unable to communicate effectively when I'm outside an English speaking nation, and I damned sure resent the fact that we are expected to learn the language of our illegals because they won't join the "melting pot". I appreciate Ileechef's approach in helping people through the system, but too many aren't interested in doing that.

I agree with the mayor, and with much of what fpczyz says. There is an established process to follow, and those who are unwilling to follow the process should not be allowed to enjoy the advantages.

And I usually am accused of being a flaming liberal!!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 14:05:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

... I damned sure resent the fact that we are expected to learn the language of our illegals because they won't join the "melting pot".

When have you been "expected" to learn the language of any illegals? If road signs or official documents are in English AND Spanish, how does this effect you negatively?
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 15:17:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

... I damned sure resent the fact that we are expected to learn the language of our illegals because they won't join the "melting pot".

When have you been "expected" to learn the language of any illegals? If road signs or official documents are in English AND Spanish, how does this effect you negatively?

I didn't say that I can't function--just can't communicate. The "no comprehende" response sure makes it difficult. And I wonder why PC requires us to make everything bi-lingual for Spanish when we haven't done it for other immigrant groups.

Learn and speak English or go home!
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 15:42:18 (permalink)
While driving to work this morning, I heard a radio report (one of the many) on some of the recent demonstrations for and against illegal aliens being given a chance to stay and become legitimate in this country.

The commentator mentioned that one of the Latino groups is planning a day (perhaps next week? I wasn't paying attention to the date that was mentioned) that will be a "day without Latinos". All Latinos are being urged to stay home from work on that day, just to reinforce the concept that the American economy does depend, to a very great extent, on these people. Whichever side of the issue you are on, I think that this impending event will be very instructive.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 16:03:35 (permalink)
It is my understanding that the day will be May 1, International Workers Day. (Remember the phrase, Workers of the world unite?) Not only are immigrants of all origins encouraged to stay home from work, they are being encouraged to spend no money for that one day. I think it will be a real eye opener to many people who hold the "send them all back" opinion. If even 75% of the immigrants participate people will get an idea of what these workers do to help keep commerce going. Using a hotel as an example, your room wouldn't get cleaned, you wouldn't have clean sheets or towels, the restaurant wouldn't have cooks, no room service, no parking lot attendents, very few repair people, no dry cleaning services would be available. Restaurants wouldn't just be missing prep cooks, bussers and dish washers. They wouldn't get linen deliveries, the produce companies wouldn't have warehouse workers, the list goes on.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 16:32:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

It is my understanding that the day will be May 1, International Workers Day. (Remember the phrase, Workers of the world unite?) Not only are immigrants of all origins encouraged to stay home from work, they are being encouraged to spend no money for that one day. I think it will be a real eye opener to many people who hold the "send them all back" opinion. If even 75% of the immigrants participate people will get an idea of what these workers do to help keep commerce going. Using a hotel as an example, your room wouldn't get cleaned, you wouldn't have clean sheets or towels, the restaurant wouldn't have cooks, no room service, no parking lot attendents, very repair people, no dry cleaning services would be available. Restaurants wouldn't just be missing prep cooks, bussers and dish washers. They wouldn't get linen deliveries, the produce companies wouldn't have warehouse workers, the list goes on.

Sounds like a strong drop in the unemployment rate for legals and citizens.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 17:00:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

While driving to work this morning, I heard a radio report (one of the many) on some of the recent demonstrations for and against illegal aliens being given a chance to stay and become legitimate in this country.

The commentator mentioned that one of the Latino groups is planning a day (perhaps next week? I wasn't paying attention to the date that was mentioned) that will be a "day without Latinos". All Latinos are being urged to stay home from work on that day, just to reinforce the concept that the American economy does depend, to a very great extent, on these people. Whichever side of the issue you are on, I think that this impending event will be very instructive.

I don't know that this is the best course of action, either:

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IMMIGRATION_FIRINGS?SITE=FLROC&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-04-13-14-46-59

quote:
Across the country, workers and students have paid a price for attending the immigration rallies that have recently swept the nation. They have lost jobs or been cited for truancy for joining the hundreds of thousands who have protested proposed federal legislation that would crack down on illegal immigrants.

In one case, the family of a 14-year-old Los Angeles-area boy said he committed suicide because he was threatened by a school official for participating in immigration protests. School officials disputed that.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 18:02:43 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by zataar

It is my understanding that the day will be May 1, International Workers Day. (Remember the phrase, Workers of the world unite?) Not only are immigrants of all origins encouraged to stay home from work, they are being encouraged to spend no money for that one day. I think it will be a real eye opener to many people who hold the "send them all back" opinion. If even 75% of the immigrants participate people will get an idea of what these workers do to help keep commerce going. Using a hotel as an example, your room wouldn't get cleaned, you wouldn't have clean sheets or towels, the restaurant wouldn't have cooks, no room service, no parking lot attendents, very repair people, no dry cleaning services would be available. Restaurants wouldn't just be missing prep cooks, bussers and dish washers. They wouldn't get linen deliveries, the produce companies wouldn't have warehouse workers, the list goes on.

Sounds like a strong drop in the unemployment rate for legals and citizens.

You are assuming that "legals and citizens" will suddenly flock in great numbers to the low-paying jobs that they have shunned for years. If the jobs that are now being done by illegals and non-citizens are so desirable, why did the "legals and citizens" not take those jobs previously?

Just as one major example (and one that directly relates to this site), harvesting of produce in The Imperial Valley of California will be essentially halted if the current workers are not there for a day, or for longer. Since this area is the richest source of produce for the entire U.S., a halt in harvesting would have profoundly negative effects on our country, both in terms of the economy and the food supply--IMHO.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 19:11:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

I actually have a tougher time buying the steroid theory than I do buying the same logic for illegals.

I may be the other way around. I don't care if pro athletes take steroids but I do think their doing it ultimately puts pressure on high school and college athletes to do it and that's terrible because it will destroy their young bodies.

As for illegals, sure there's the "everybody's doing it" excuse, but this phenomenon is newer than most people now realize. In certain areas like California's Central, Imperial and Salinas Valleys, Mexican migrant labor has been used for literally a century (or more) and it's possible there's no other way to get the crops picked, but in other parts of the country and other industries, the availability of cheap illegal labor is only a decade or 2 old. Illegal immigration, especially from Mexico, has really only been as out of hand as it presently is since around 1990. Prior to that, US citizens and legal immigrants did the work that iilegals do now and we can go back to that with less difficulty than some people argue. The transition would inevitably be gradual because many of the illegals here now are going to stay--and find some way to work--but if we could stop the flow north . . . .
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/13 19:20:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

Whichever side of the issue you are on, I think that this impending event will be very instructive.

I don't think it will mean much at all. It took roughly 15 years of progressively excessive illegal immigration to get where we are now (there's always been illegal immigration, but the flow from Mexico has gotten much worse in the lkast decade). It will take a decade or more to readjust the economy and, no matter what we do, we clearly will have at least that long to do it. The 11 million or so who are here are not going to be deported--our government, sadly, is just incapable of doing that. At worst, it will become harder for them to find work and some of them will go home in frustration. But I think most will stay one way or another. So the notion that all illegals will suddenly disappear from (or be removed from) the workforce may make a good movie ("A Day Without Mexicans"), but it's absurd as a basis for policy.
mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1355
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/14 01:07:56 (permalink)
If the illegal aliens are doing work Americans won't do, do we wonder what the Americans are doing? Collecting welfare is one thing. Stealing is another thing.
I just paid a HUGE tax bill. My husband and I are both over 60 and have no prospect of retiring. We both have graduate degrees and work hard in good fields. I'm damned sick and tired of providing for people who don't want to take care of themselves.
Illegal aliens are filling our emergency rooms in my town, using them as primary care physicians. They can't be turned away. What if I need emergency care? I will have to wait my turn.
I don't mean to sound as mean and bitter as I do, but I have worked since I was 15, and I see the government taking and taking, but giving to those who don't even try.

adbunting
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/16 08:25:26 (permalink)
OK,

Here's the deal.

Can any ONE of you think of a country that doesn't have immigration laws? Where you can just waltz in and say f u to the host country you have decided to make your fortune in, where you refuse to file visas or paperwork or...Where you can bully and become indignant if you don't get health care of welfare or a green card just because you want it? How lame is that?

If this was France or Spain, or Guatamala (I've lived there and know), Japan, Australia(there too)...or has anyone known of a massive influx of illegal Canadians into the US?

Times up. No. There is a reason for that. It doesn't matter if the border happens to be coooonnnnveeeennnient. (that's convenient for people who don't understand sarcasm in writing)

When you immigrate to a country, you have to be willing to respect and observe the laws and cultural difference from your native land. You have to be willing to accept and observe the laws and cultural differences in the country you move to. You need to come here free of disease (which is a problem now with Hep and TB and God knows!).

We don't have the structure to even provide health care for our own. Are you telling me that illegals are going to clamber over here and expect to get it for free? When the decades of people born here can't?

Land of the free...but only if you qualify. Even in the 1800's and early immigration. Ellis Island. Heck, MY ancestors came over on the Mayflower.

It doesn't have to do with who was where first. Throughout history it was one culture 'taking over'. One "conquering" the other. (so to speak) I still absolutely believe in every person's right to exist.

So here we are. California's main industry wouldn't exist if not for people crossing the border illegally and taking jobs for peanuts.

The "they take jobs that US Citizens won't" is BS. The reality is if given a choice between an illegal that will accept pennies and someone expecting minimum living wage...who do you think big business is going to choose? Illegales that come here are conditioned to extreme poverty. US Cits expect something more because we have been raised around more. Even if it's not much, it's more than in Mexico.

Plus I have a serious problem with the bi-lingual thing. I can speak Spanish by choice. But can anyone out there imagine going to another country...Ireland, Norway, Russia...and expecting them to know English? Reverse that with Spanish here. I'm not saying lose your own language, but if you're here learn ENGLISH for Pete's Sake!
Duh.

So...that said...now go back and just read what I wrote with no emotion involved, just for what I'm saying.

April

Catracks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/18 23:46:09 (permalink)
From Mexico we get its poorest and most uneducated. Not snobbish, but fact. If forced to stay in their own country a peasant revolt might ensue and perhaps reform some of the corruption. Why do you think Vincente Fox and his government are all for open borders with us and his southern border with Central America is slammed shut? What's even better for Mexico is that those workers send a large portion of their money back to Mexico.

Want to come here? Respect our laws and come here legally like the thousands that are walked over when people simply steal across the border without regard to national sovreinity. I cringe to hear stories about people from the Punjab who play by the rules and have to wait for a spot only to hear about people just hopping the border. I don't know about other border states, but California simply cannot take in all these people. My kids have overcrowded schools. We see emergency rooms and hospitals closed down. Our infrastructure is overburdened as it is.

Yes, I feel for the people who do not have enough to subsist on, but I'm glad we fought for a decent standard of living here. Wouldn't it be weird if Mexico was the economic power with us trying to get over there? Why isn't it that way? Would they give us as many breaks?

Before I offend know that my grandfather came here on horseback through Deming NM after leaving Pancho Villa's army.
V960
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/19 11:03:51 (permalink)
Last numbers I saw placed CA as the number one destination of illegals from Mexico, TX was two and NC was three. Makes for a good availability for freah tortillas in piedmont NC.

Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/19 11:32:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Last numbers I saw placed CA as the number one destination of illegals from Mexico, TX was two and NC was three. Makes for a good availability for freah tortillas in piedmont NC.

I guess that's why I have felt so overwhelmed since I moved back to North Carolina last year. And with Tyson's old Holly Farms poultry processing facility in Wilkes County, we probably have a higher percentage than other parts of the state. The surnames of people involved in accidents, altercations and drunk driving arrests (published in the local newspaper 3 times each week) sure reflect a major demographic shift.
V960
RE: Immigration-Let's be gentle 2006/04/20 10:28:04 (permalink)
Hillbilly,
I do some work as an "expert" in trials. While Wilkes has a fair number of Latinos involved in legal difficulties you should see what goes on in Wake and Mecklenburg.

Along the lines of this thread may I recommend the movie "Gangs of NY"?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1