The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Improved Mushroom soup

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
Sundancer7

Improved Mushroom soup Sat, 01/10/04 7:55 PM (permalink)
I am a soup fan and I do not make my own but I buy Campbells Mushroom Soup and add a container of button mushrooms and let it heat up until the shrooms are nice and tender. I add pepper and it is good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
    RE: Improved Mushroom soup Sat, 01/10/04 9:35 PM (permalink)
    If you want to "kick it up a notch", add some pureed chipotle peppers in adobo. Why don't you just make it from scratch? Oh, I forgot, you're watching the Titans get beat by the Patriots.

Sundancer7

RE: Improved Mushroom soup Sun, 01/11/04 1:32 AM (permalink)
      Leave it up to lleechef to ruin my soup. Poor Titans got beat but my Campbells soup got upgraded.

thanks llechef

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

lleechef

RE: Improved Mushroom soup Sun, 01/11/04 1:58 AM (permalink)
        I didn't mean to ruin your soup or your game...you know.........stuff happens! Sorry about those Titans. Really. (Surpressing a smirk)
        Add the chipotle peppers.....you won't be disappointed.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
          RE: Improved Mushroom soup Sun, 01/11/04 6:16 AM (permalink)
          GO PATS!!!! I Think i have the only only Patriots cap in Oklahoma!--and i will wear it proudly as they once again keep winning while the world around them ignores them!! The Rodney Dangerfields of the NFL! And i get to see my brother eveytime there a feildgoal kick aat the north end of the stadium! And really--you ought to try that soup homamade! Had a friend that used to gather and dry mushrooms---shen would take all thye small broken peices and run the though a coffee grinder into a fine powder---we could add a spoonfull to soups,stews and sauces---great mushroom flavor! did wonders for canned soups!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
            RE: Improved Mushroom soup Sun, 01/11/04 7:59 AM (permalink)
            Just made mushrooms soup this week, I saute the mushrooms for about 15 minutes in a cast iron pan with a little garlic and black pepper, then I added veggie stock - 1 container of Kitchen Basic brand and 1 container of frozen home made stock. Simmer a bit and whiz it with the hand mixer.....almost as easy as opening a can of Campbells. Reinvented what was leftover 2 days later by adding a can of great northern beans.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
              RE: Improved Mushroom soup Tue, 01/13/04 12:55 PM (permalink)
              I did a cream of wild mushroom soup for X-mas eve dinner. Its an Emeril recipe that was part of a 'green bean casserole from scratch' recipe he did. I'm not a big Emeril fan but the soup portion of the recipe was awsome....watch the cayenne pepper though.

We did the whole casserole last year, its a pain to make but, way better than the '70's can-o-cream-o-mushroom-frozen beans-fried oninon thing. We liked the soup portion of it so much we just stopped there this year.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                RE: Improved Mushroom soup Tue, 01/13/04 1:06 PM (permalink)
                Sundancer: Try sautéing the mushrooms in a little butter first. It will intensify the flavor.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Improved Mushroom soup Tue, 01/13/04 1:27 PM (permalink)
                  Campbells Mushroom(regular not Golden)goes great with burgers for a quick meal. Fry your burgers to desired doneness, remove from skillet, discard all but about 3T grease. Add mushroom soup, stir well until mixed with drippings. Add ONE HALF can of water mix well and simmer for about 5 minutes(I add sliced mushrooms here). Return patties, coating with gravy. Simmer another couple of minutes, serve with rice. My KID'S love this!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                    RE: Improved Mushroom soup Tue, 01/13/04 1:32 PM (permalink)
                    It's good on chicken too for dinner in a hurry.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                      RE: Improved Mushroom soup Tue, 01/13/04 5:25 PM (permalink)
                      Campbells always seems to have too much salt for my taste. Though, my mom always did something with pork chops and cream-o-shroom soup that was good.

kmtyme

• Total Posts: 1
                        RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 05/14/04 11:16 AM (permalink)
                        hi..I agree with the Campell's salt thing...I even went so far as to send them a msg. about leaving out mot of the salt..did not ever hear from them...I had a great mushroom soup in a club once...several different mushrooms were sauteed in butter, garlic and a splash of sherry...mmmmgood...

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                          RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 05/14/04 12:03 PM (permalink)
                          I use cream of mushroom soup in lots of my recipes. For quick meals,
                          I pour it over chicken or pork chops and bake it. I use it in alot of my casseroles. We even use it over roast beef along with minced onions and lots of spices. One particular thing we like to do is
                          put layers of pork chops, sliced potatoes and sliced onions in a casserole dish, cover with cream of mushroom soup , salt, pepper and paprika and bake. Doesn't Campbells make a low sodium soup?

the rear admiral

• Total Posts: 4
                            RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 05/14/04 12:39 PM (permalink)
                            I think that Campbells does make a low sodium soup. I like to make soup from scratch most of the time. I usually have it on the back burner on low most of the time.

lleechef

RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 05/14/04 8:05 PM (permalink)
                              Since this thread came back up, a delicious mushroom soup goes like this:

Saute a combo of sliced shiitake, crimini, oyster, white, and morels (if you can find them) in butter. Do not brown. Dust with a little flour. Add some white wine, then chicken stock, then heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. Very easy and fast. Way better than Campbells!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                RE: Improved Mushroom soup Wed, 02/8/06 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                I like to add minced onions to the cream of mushroom bisque-like soup I make. I sautee them with the onions in butter and then add the cream, broth, etc. and whisk it all up. It's especially good in cold weather, and minced scallions make a great garnish if I have them on hand.

Andrea

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                  RE: Improved Mushroom soup Wed, 02/8/06 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                  Since the topic is back, I'd like to ask, for soups that are mostly used for cooking, like cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, why does Campbells even make the regular soup and not just make a low sodium version?

I'm not asking this right...what I mean is, since many of the condensed soups are used as a part of a recipe, and we try, in part, to make healthy meals, why does Campbells bother making the regular high sodium soups? The biggest complaint I hear about Campbells is the sodium content. Why can't they just change that? Lower the sodium. The flavor wouldn't change much, would it? would it?

Seems to me they could do a better job in this area. Even Campbell's Healthy Choice cream of chicken has 101mg of sodium (that's 4% of recommended daily allowance ) PER OUNCE! That's 808mg or 32% of daily allowance in just one cup and 1616mg of sodium in a restaurant bowl of soup or 64% of the recommended daily allowance. Can't they do better than this?

(this post coming from the guy who gave his recipe on salt potatoes in another thread and in another thread, admitted I drink 5-8 12oz servings of diet soda per day. My middle name is Hypocrisy)

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                    RE: Improved Mushroom soup Wed, 02/8/06 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                    Yes, I'm a hypocrite too. I'm making making a cream of mushroom bisque-like soup from the first harvest from the culinary mushroom farm the father-in-law gave me for Christmas. I am cooking it very slow and chopped up the mushroom caps and minced an onion and sauteed them in butter before adding the chicken broth and heavy whipping cream and black pepper and a splash of merlot and aged swiss cheese. Yes, I kind of like to do the cream of mushroom soup like a french onion soup, and will have lightly toasted very thin cut slices of French bread on top and a small amount of melted swiss cheese. I'd garnish it lightly with scallions, but for today a light garnish of very finely minced raw onions will suffice.
                                    But, I agree the Campbells' stuff tends to be way too salty.
                                    Though, I can still work with it in a pinch but it will be diluted.

Andrea

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                      RE: Improved Mushroom soup Wed, 02/8/06 1:20 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Scorereader

Since the topic is back, I'd like to ask, for soups that are mostly used for cooking, like cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, why does Campbells even make the regular soup and not just make a low sodium version?

I'm not asking this right...what I mean is, since many of the condensed soups are used as a part of a recipe, and we try, in part, to make healthy meals, why does Campbells bother making the regular high sodium soups? The biggest complaint I hear about Campbells is the sodium content. Why can't they just change that? Lower the sodium. The flavor wouldn't change much, would it? would it?

1. Sodium is a cheap ingredient. The more inexpensive sodium used in a product, the less of some other more expensive ingredient is needed.

2. Sodium has an almost addictive quality like sugar. If a manufacturer can get you "hooked" on his product, he can count on repeat sales.

3. Admittedly sodium is an excellent flavor enhancer. The problem lies in the fact that, due to reasons 1 and 2 above, over time Americans have become so inured to the effects of sodium, both as a flavoring agent and as a "hook", food manufacturers have to use more of it in order to achieve the same effect you once had with a lesser amount. This is the same problem you have with any addictive substance, whether it's salt, sugar, tobacco, or heroin.

I really hate to make it sound so insidious but, there does exist, at the very least, a very cynical and premeditated approach to food marketing and development.

Buddy

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                        RE: Improved Mushroom soup Wed, 02/8/06 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

Seems to me they could do a better job in this area. Even Campbell's Healthy Choice cream of chicken has 101mg of sodium (that's 4% of recommended daily allowance ) PER OUNCE! That's 808mg or 32% of daily allowance in just one cup and 1616mg of sodium in a restaurant bowl of soup or 64% of the recommended daily allowance. Can't they do better than this?

(this post coming from the guy who gave his recipe on salt potatoes in another thread and in another thread, admitted I drink 5-8 12oz servings of diet soda per day. My middle name is Hypocrisy)

Funny you should bring up the flavor vs low-sodium.
                                        I was just looking at the salt content on Tabasco brand Bloody Mary mix, and its about 1400 mg/serving.
                                        I saw this link..apparently others are trying to do something about it.
                                        http://www.preparedfoods.com/CDA/Articles/Feature_Article/b1492ba151ad8010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

Not that this has anything to do with mushroomp soup...

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                          RE: Improved Mushroom soup Thu, 02/9/06 10:26 AM (permalink)
                                          Buddy Roadhouse - you hit it on the head.

In short, most prepared foods wouldn't taste like anything if they weren't loaded with salt.

In my own experience, I pretty much stopped using salt in my cooking when I was in college. We're not salt-free fanatics - we still eat chips, ham, etc. But after some time we found that packaged mixes like Rice A Roni (a real childhood treat) were too salty to be edible. KFC or green bean casserole are once or twice a year indulgences followed by gallons of water and sometimes a headache.

Scorereader

RE: Improved Mushroom soup Thu, 02/9/06 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Funny you should bring up the flavor vs low-sodium.
                                            I was just looking at the salt content on Tabasco brand Bloody Mary mix, and its about 1400 mg/serving.
                                            I saw this link..apparently others are trying to do something about it.
                                            http://www.preparedfoods.com/CDA/Articles/Feature_Article/b1492ba151ad8010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

Not that this has anything to do with mushroomp soup...

In fact, that article answers the question brilliantly.
                                            good link.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                              RE: Improved Mushroom soup Thu, 02/9/06 2:29 PM (permalink)

Poopy

• Total Posts: 101
                                                RE: Improved Mushroom soup Thu, 02/16/06 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                                Maybe I'm just a salt addict, but I always end up adding salt to Campbell's soup. I have never actually tried to eat the Cream of Mushroom without it being in a casserole. I had a bad Cream of Mushroom experience a couple of years ago, when I tried to make a recipe from one of their cookbooks. I can't even stand the smell of it anymore. Instead, I use Cream of Celery or they have some kind of creamy onion soup that is pretty good.

Scorereader

RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 02/17/06 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Poopy

Maybe I'm just a salt addict, but I always end up adding salt to Campbell's soup. I have never actually tried to eat the Cream of Mushroom without it being in a casserole. I had a bad Cream of Mushroom experience a couple of years ago, when I tried to make a recipe from one of their cookbooks. I can't even stand the smell of it anymore. Instead, I use Cream of Celery or they have some kind of creamy onion soup that is pretty good.

no, I don't think it's that you're an addict. I think that, even though the soups are loaded with sodium, the sodium in the soup isn't really beinging the flavors out. I do cook with salt, so I like to start with as low a sodium product as I can, so that I can control the amount of salt (sodium) in the dish at the finish. In my experience, if I use minimal salt at the start, then add salt towards the end, the salt does the trick at bringing out flavor. But if I add the same amount of salt too early, then the salt doesn't help the flavors to come through.
                                                  So, it does not surprise me that one would add salt to any of the prepared creamed soups from Campbells.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                                    • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
                                                    RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 02/17/06 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                                    Cream of anything is so easy to make why bother w/ high blood presurre in a can. Maybe three extra minutes? We usually have cream of something (generally mushroom) for lunch on the weekends because our local grocery store puts out marginal vegies for give away prices on Saturday morning. A quick browning of the vegies, bechamel sauce, and the boat motor stick blender for a great soup.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                                                      RE: Improved Mushroom soup Fri, 02/17/06 2:00 PM (permalink)
                                                      Right on, V960. The only pre-made soup I buy now is the Campbell's Select tomato/roasted red pepper soup. Not too salty, just spicy enough. But sometimes I take off from there with a little cream and some fresh veggies (onions, green peppers, celery, mushrooms etc.) that have been sauteed in olive oil. A loaf of bread, a glass of wine and I'm all set. I do make the bechamel-based soups, especially now that it's cold. Bechamel-sauced pasta with cheese and prosciutto, too.

MsDiPesto

• Total Posts: 31
                                                        • Location: Falls Church, VA
                                                        RE: Improved Mushroom soup Mon, 10/16/06 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                                        Throw a tablespoon of sherry into that canned mushroom soup, and it'll complement your other improvements and modifications.

bowtieman

• Total Posts: 14
                                                          • Location: Phoenix, AZ
                                                          RE: Improved Mushroom soup Mon, 11/6/06 2:40 AM (permalink)
                                                          The real reason Campbells is high on sodium is because they load up everthing with MSG,if you compare the low sodium soups in the same flavor to the regular soups you will notice the absense of MSG,a lot of people get sick from injesting that,but it's not easy to find a lot of MSG free foods.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                                            • Location: Hinton, VA
                                                            RE: Improved Mushroom soup Mon, 11/6/06 5:23 AM (permalink)
                                                            Hello All,
                                                            I love mushroom soup, too, and the more mushrooms the better.
                                                            My wife makes an excellent mushroom soup, but she doesn't make it
                                                            often, so I have to fall back on Campbell's. Luckily, I have no
                                                            problems with salt or MSG. My problem is there's never enough
                                                            mushrooms, so I add more.
                                                            I will crumble up saltines in my bowl and add a a good amount of
                                                            pepper as well.
                                                            When feeling ill, the wife demands chicken noodle soup, but
                                                            I go straight for mushroom soup.
                                                            Last Friday we bought some dried porcini mushrooms, and I dying
                                                            to see what the wife does with them.
                                                            Take Care,
                                                            Fieldthistle

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com