In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers!

Author
Jaybird
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2003/10/12 01:32:52 (permalink)

In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers!

Hi there everyone. I am Jay, and I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I am not here to advertise, but hopefully there are maybe some Canadian forumers or anybody interested in Canadian restaurant chains in this roadfood website.

If you have ever been (or you are coming anytime) to Canada, I will tell you right now, THE best place to go for hamburgers is a place called HARVEY'S. The beef is always cooked well on the grill and the patties are big, the best thing, of all, when you order your burger and its ready, you have multiple choices of toppings to put on it, so you can put whatever you want on it. I love their bacon cheeseburgers and cheeseburgers, although too many of them may not be good all the time. Plus, their crispy fries are excellent as well (although they are somewhat kind of deep fried). I think they are probably the best fast-food hamburgers you will get of all the chains (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King) in Canada.

9 Replies Related Threads

wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2003/10/12 11:41:41 (permalink)
    It's been a while, but I will second the fact that Harvey's are pretty darn good burgers. The fries are decent too.

As a footnote, almost all of the Canadian fast food chains have locations in Cornwall, Ont just after you get off the St. Lawrence Seaway Int'l Bridge from Massena, NY.

Wally
    Hepcat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2003/11/04 18:16:21 (permalink)
    Harvey's is a Canadian institution! The defining characteristic of the chain is that the burgers are charcoal broiled over an open flame.

http://www.harveys.ca/eng/site.php

The relative scarcity of American burger joints that charbroil always surprises Canadians.

Wallhd!

Where do you live? I was born and raised in London but I'm in Toronto now.

FoodDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/01/13 21:31:07 (permalink)
    As a Canadian myself I can honestly offer this opinion about Harvey's hamburgers: they give me gas. If I want a good burger, I'll stop into Patty's in London (formerly Fatty Patty's).
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/01/25 15:27:58 (permalink)
    I used to travel frequently to Toronto and got to know Harvey's. A few years ago, their burgers tasted like they were pre-cooked then warmed on grill....tasted almost more like meat loaf than hamburger. Not objectionable, but unusual.
    Last year when there, I tried again. Those are some GOOD burgers! And love how they dress it right in front of you so you get exactly what you want in the amount you want. Definitely would be on the higher end of quality in U.S. if they were here. (Similarly here, Hardee's has made a surprising improvement in their product in a bit of a worst-to-first scenario).
    Now I REALLY feel like a cheeseburger, and I don't think McD's is going to do.....
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/01/25 15:58:03 (permalink)
    IMHO, I think Harvey's burgers are quite dreadful........thankfully, I have not had one in several years.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/01/25 20:49:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

IMHO, I think Harvey's burgers are quite dreadful........thankfully, I have not had one in several years.

I think they are overrated too, but I do like the fresh dill pickles they put on your sandwich. Luckily, they are owned by the same firm that owns Swiss Chalet, a roasted chicken chain. They are usually located beside each other. If I see the two of them, I go for the Swiss Chalet.
    patinthehat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/04/17 11:57:06 (permalink)
    I live in southern Ontario, as well, Toronto, to be specific, and I agree that Harvey's burgers are great. However, if you want the best in Canadian burgers, head on down to Licks Hamburgers. There are quite a few of them in the GTA, and they make Harveys Hamburgers taste like dust. They also have some of the best ice cream, and awesome homemade cherry coke.

By the way, does anyone know a good fast food restaurant to try in Rochester, NY?
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/04/17 12:16:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by patinthehat

I live in southern Ontario, as well, Toronto, to be specific, and I agree that Harvey's burgers are great. However, if you want the best in Canadian burgers, head on down to Licks Hamburgers. There are quite a few of them in the GTA, and they make Harveys Hamburgers taste like dust. They also have some of the best ice cream, and awesome homemade cherry coke.

By the way, does anyone know a good fast food restaurant to try in Rochester, NY?

Define 'fast food'.....The Bill Gray's chain isnt bad,but for the quintissential Rochester Roadfood meal, Nick Tahou's is a MUST...for a burger, try Tom Wahl's,which has several locations in the area too: http://www.tomwahls.com http://www.billgrays.com

also Abbotts Custard is as good as custard gets also http://www.abbottscustard.com
    drpep
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: In Canada, try HARVEY'S hamburgers! 2005/04/20 10:44:05 (permalink)
    Tom Wahl's and Bill Gray's are practically the same, you do not need to go to both. Tom Wahls does have homemade root beer though.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1