In Praise of Subway

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18897
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/02/19 10:54:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The Subways around here don't have red peppers. They have green bell peppers and banana peppers, only.

No jalapenos? Every one I've been to in CA and AZ has jalapenos in addition to the two you mentioned--I get 'em all.

No jalapenos.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/02/19 12:14:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The Subways around here don't have red peppers. They have green bell peppers and banana peppers, only.

No jalapenos? Every one I've been to in CA and AZ has jalapenos in addition to the two you mentioned--I get 'em all.

The ones I have been to also have all three peppers.
Load up my veggie sub with all 3 and pepper jack cheese to boot!
However, I have noticed regional offerings.
I was in Fla, and they had pastrami, and Colorado had pastrami. Here in Maine, no pastrami, and no swiss cheese.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/02/19 17:20:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain

it's just about time for another New York Steamer Sub, loaded
with pastrami & corned beef, from Firehouse, the next time I make the 25
mile drive down the interstate

I tried Firehouse in Daytona--across from the Speedway--and it was pretty good. I think I had a meatball sub and put a sprinkling of the second hottest sauce (they had about 100 hot sauces lined up on the counter in their estimation of the order of hotness--not sure if all their outlets do that) on it and it was good.
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 618
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/02/19 17:58:37 (permalink)

Yep, at the Firehouse I go to, same setup with the hot sauces, although I'm
not daring enough to try any of them yet!
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/06 15:43:19 (permalink)
Subway - "NoWay". I never eat there, to bland, to expensive for what you get, the veggies are sliced so thin you can't taste them, and even if you ask for extras such as onion, etc., they don't know that extra means.
RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/06 17:24:48 (permalink)
Hard to get a good grinder in the south unless you stumble across a transplant who opened shop down here. If you live in Tidewater, Zero's has a decent grinder..not great...but decent.

Fortunately we have one of the only Zero's outside of that market..right here in the tri-cities. Other wise I would choke through a bmt at sub-way about once a year and harken back.

BlueberrieSwirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/10 22:58:42 (permalink)
Their wraps are VERY good, although I confess I generally stick to tuna salad or grilled chicken.

Their chicken teriyaki sub is also very good, and I've been eyeing those low carb salads lately.

The ones in my area still have swiss cheese, and I hope they always do.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/10 23:26:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

I want to put in a good word for Subway,

Oh boy, It's so wonderful to have the same sandwich shop on every city block, suburban strip center, shopping mall food court, small town, big town, every block.
Let's see everday we have a sandwich and coffee.
It's so easy, Green sign for either and both.
Just look for the green sign.
Thank God Supermarkets make sandwichs and sell coffee or there will
be no choice in few years.
Has this not happened in your area (maybe Chicago)
Get ready, it's on the way.
Oh Boy

Why am I so concerned. Our local "Sam the Butcher" who made great sandwichs got flooded out recently and after 65 years
he decided he can't rebuild and make it any more.
That's sad. And it's happening everywhere.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/11 03:24:12 (permalink)
"Sam the Butcher" is more likely a victim of Marin County's no-growth policies which have boosted rates not only on housing but on commercial space such as his shop to stratospheric levels. Blaming Subway is just silly.

I can tell you a more direct story. We had a great little place here in Green Valley called Bumpers (the owner was a classic car nut). It sold platters of home-made spaghetti and meatballs, Chicago style hot dogs complete with neon green relish, Italian sausage sandwiches and other similar stuff. Then a Subway opened in the same mall. Bumpers went out of business and the owner blamed Subway. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. I didn't stop eating there. The place looked just as full as ever when I went there which was a couple times a week. I think Subway was an excuse--the guy's wife had gotten sick and he was tired. Running a small business like that is hard work and he had fun for a couple of years, then had had enough.

Your Sam the Butcher can blame Subway if he wants to, but I bet he was just ready to retire. That or the rent had got to point where his overhead was just too high.

You know yourself that in San Francisco, for every old time Italian deli that goes under and blames Subway, a Banh Mi shop or or gyro emporium run by recent immigrants opens. It ain't Subway's fault that the old-timers can't (or don't want to) compete. The newcomers do just fine.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/11 03:40:53 (permalink)
No,No Sam the Butcher is not blaming anyone in fact he took a job as butcher at Paradise Foods in Corte Madera www.foodsofparadise.com and his shop was in the town of Ross where homes start at 3mil and his place will sit empty. I am just saying for each one of these places that close 3-4 Subways open and I can give a tour where they really are saturating the landscape like SBucks.
It's really becoming a sterile world. And I know your Vietnamese sando shop on Larkin will be sellin em for 1.65 or whatever for awhile but those areas are the exception.
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/03/29 00:08:29 (permalink)
Can I have a pasty white bread lettuce sub with three olive slices, wait can I get extra olives (oh boy four sliced olives) hey can you cut the meat a little thinner, I can't quite see through it.

My sister likes Subway, but then again, she's the type of person impressed by places that serve overpriced not very good food.

I worked next door to a Subway once, we shared the same dumpster. I was amazed at how many of the "cold cuts" were processed Turkey products.

If you can't make a better sandwich at home, I really do feel sorry for you, and anybody that has to eat the food you make. Fly me out to your house, put me up for a day, and I can show you how to make a better sandwich.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/02 12:44:07 (permalink)
Personally, when I patronized Subway, I never had any problems with extra toppings. They would add them without concern until I said "enough". If they started using real meat I would probably return as a customer.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/02 13:30:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Bucky

If you can't make a better sandwich at home, I really do feel sorry for you, and anybody that has to eat the food you make. Fly me out to your house, put me up for a day, and I can show you how to make a better sandwich.

Honestly, I don't think that's at all the point. To "make a better sandwich at home" you've got to have all the ingredients available and they've got to be fresh. If you go to the market and buy 3 or 4 kinds of cold cuts, a couple of cheeses, loaves of French bread, veggies and all the rest, you'll be able to make a great $4.99 Subway sandwich for about $24.99 (and you'll have spend an hour and half or so doing it, counting the trip to the market). Or what if you want a meatball sub? Count in the time to whip up a batch of meatballs and sauce. Perhaps those with large families keep all the ingredients around at all times, but we single folks don't (it rots, it spoils, it goes stale). A trip to Subway (or, if available, a good independent sub shop) is just so much easier and cheaper than making your own.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13549
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/02 13:42:56 (permalink)
BT: that is a very good and valid point. Granted, if you got all the ingredients available, you can certainly have a better sandwich but the majority of the time, I do not.

I agree that Subway is not always the best but being handy and available is sometimes reasonable enough.

Most of the time when I occasionally do a Subway sandwich, I find that their bread is fresh baked and hot.

I was returning to Knoxville from Tallahassee via Augusta this past week and I was in a hurry. I stopped at a Pilot to refuel and they had a Subway. I bought a veggie sub with every veggie they had with extra mayo and it did the trick.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/02 19:51:42 (permalink)
Sundancer,
That is the only sub I get at Subway.. The Veggie is really good... Hint. If they dont have shredded carrots out in plain view,, ask, sometimes they keep them tucked away....I always get extra spinach on mine....
Tara
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/02 21:05:52 (permalink)
Indeed, it is getting increasingly more difficult to cook certain sandwich items cheaper at home than buying it already prepared from the supermarket or from a restaurant. That is, unless you are cooking in Air Force mess hall proportions and don't care how much surplus food you wind up throwing away.

For example, I've gotten into the jag of buying a chicken salad sandwich off the bread and a side order of coleslaw from a local diner that happens to make a pretty good chicken salad. I bring it home and put the chicken salad on GREAT Italian or French bread, put the coleslaw in a bowl, turn on Turner Classics and, well, I'm good to go.

I've made the two items all by myself, and, I've gotten it from the salad bar at a local supermarket. Either way, I cannot beat the price, and I'm not making it any better. Hence, why bother, unless I could make it better...which I can't?

In short, I believe that the margin between what I can buy raw meats and produce retail and what it costs all done in a diner or a supermarket deli is getting increasingly thinner.
The Bear

Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/03 00:32:58 (permalink)
While I can somewhat see the point of the expense, You can go into a grocery store like a Winco or Safeway, buy some meat, some cheese, and if they have a salad bar all the veggies you want. Then you slap them in a roll, and it's better than Subway. If you spent even five to six dollars, you would have a much better sandwich with more meat, and it's that simple. I'm sorry, sandwiches aren't rocket science. And every Subway that I have been to locally skimps on everything but the lettuce. In fact, one time, I asked the Sandwich Artist (that's their actual job label) for no lettuce, she looked concerned and said, "Well, you're sandwich isn't going to look very good, and it will be smaller." Gee, really. Then I asked for extra green peppers and olives, she put one more slice of green pepper and one more sliced olive. I asked for more, and she said management doesn't allow it. Maybe it's just our local Subways that are so skimpy.

As to the meatball sandwich, you can buy bags of premade meatballs, and that's what Subway uses. They used to have a sandwich at Subway I liked, it was a combo of the Meatball and Italian Sausage, of course thats long gone! but everything else I have ever eaten there has been bland, watery, and nothing like a real Sub.

I can see that sometimes, you might not have that oppurtunity or time. I was actually responding to an earlier post where it was stated that Subway makes a better sandwich than that person could. THAT'S SAD!! I do realize that it might be cheaper to go to Subway than to buy all the ingrediants and make it at home. But if you're buying twenty five dollars worth of food to make one sandwich, what do you do with the rest of the food? Throw it away? Let's put it this way, with twentyfive dollars worth of groceries, I could make ten sandwiches much better than Subway, and that is actually cheaper!
Rev.Bucky
Hamburger
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/03 00:38:10 (permalink)
And as I reread your posts I am amazed! Fresh Spinach? Grated Carrots?? Wow, the Subways in our area really are third rate! Here it's onion, lettuce, green peppers and olives. Maybe I should check out some other areas Subway, but I think that I would probably go to some local Pizzeria, or diner for a sandwich instead!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/03 13:19:33 (permalink)
I'm lucky to be living in "the hoagie belt". In Mountain Top the Subway is right across from King's Pizzeria, and half a mile (in either direction) from Antonio's, Three Guys, Januzzi's, and Philadelphia Subs. In order to get to a Subway from where I work in Tunkhannock, I have to pass Sicilia, another Antonio's (no relation), Vesuvio's, the Downtown Deli, and the Full Belly Deli. My absolute favorite sub is the "Deluxe" from Sicilia; Genoa salami, pepperoni, sopressota and prosciutto with provolone, l/t/o, and italian dressing. Hot banana peppers optional.

So I haven't had a Subway in ages. I remember them pretty much the same way BT describes them though; decent enough. I've also found it to be exactly true that the quality of a franchise varies quite a bit depending on the care invested in it by the franchisee. That's how you get decent Subways and Smokey Bones.

Tom

BT
Filet Mignon
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/03 20:14:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Bucky

While I can somewhat see the point of the expense, You can go into a grocery store like a Winco or Safeway, buy some meat, some cheese, and if they have a salad bar all the veggies you want. Then you slap them in a roll, and it's better than Subway. If you spent even five to six dollars, you would have a much better sandwich with more meat, and it's that simple. I'm sorry, sandwiches aren't rocket science. And every Subway that I have been to locally skimps on everything but the lettuce. In fact, one time, I asked the Sandwich Artist (that's their actual job label) for no lettuce, she looked concerned and said, "Well, you're sandwich isn't going to look very good, and it will be smaller." Gee, really. Then I asked for extra green peppers and olives, she put one more slice of green pepper and one more sliced olive. I asked for more, and she said management doesn't allow it. Maybe it's just our local Subways that are so skimpy.

I think you nailed it in the last sentence. I never (not in San Francisco, not in Tucson, not in Daytona Beach) have the problem you describe. I always tell 'em to make my sub "heavy on the onions, light on the lettuce" and they always comply, adding ingredients until I say "enough". When I have asked for extra this or that (except the meat and cheese--they'll do that too but they charge) they've never said management wouldn't allow it. In fact they have said it's policy to put as much veggies on there as they can--if the customer wishes--without having everything falling out.

As for going to Safeway for the cold cuts, most supermarkets now actually will make you a sandwich using the cold cuts they sell and it would probably be cheaper to do so because that way there's no wastage. If you prefer the supermarkets sandwiches to Subway's, I certainly would endorse buying them there. Some people I have known in Florida really like subs made at Publix markets and would never go to Subway in preference. That's certainly makes sense to me. My main argument for Subway is the variety of sandwiches they offer in places (small towns and whistle stops) where there are few other options except making it yourself.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/03 20:34:18 (permalink)
I agree with BT... Every Subway I have been too, and asked for more of each veggie, there is no hesitation.. In fact, one girl couldnt even barely close the sub to cut it....
I dont get any kind of meat subs there, as I love their veggie ones, and I know you have to pay for extra meat and cheese, but not veggies.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/04 08:17:30 (permalink)
Here in Versailles, KY, the Subway has all three peppers and the jalapenos are very hot. But, I like that! I too have noticed that some Subways skimp more than others re the quantity of toppings. I only go there every now and then, and I too agree that the smell in the shop is a turn off.

Andrea
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: In Praise of Subway 2006/04/05 21:06:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain

Yep, at the Firehouse I go to, same setup with the hot sauces, although I'm
not daring enough to try any of them yet!

Full line of hot sauces available @ my local Firehouse.. (Quite interesting, though...>> All bottles are placed in open view on the counter. MANY say "Refrigerate After Opening". None are, BTW.

Also, I made the terminal mistake of ordering a meatball sub from them today. It was worse than Subway. I normally do not order "hot subs" from anywhere. However, my curiosity got to me today. I was NOT impressed. The meatballs tasted as if they had just come from a can of "Chef Boyardee". The bread was not up to what I expected, either. Oh well; live & learn.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1