The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Fri, 05/7/04 7:28 PM (permalink)
Dear Friends:

I love peanut butter cookies, but I'm getting tired of my same old generic recipe. Does anybody have an outstanding p.b. cookie recipe they'd be willing to share with me and anybody else who digs p.b. cookies? Many thanks!

KimChee43

seafarer john

RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Fri, 05/7/04 10:07 PM (permalink)
    I cant help you with a good recipe, but I have to tell you that the Newburgh Free Academy (Newburgh , NY High School) lunchroom made peanut butter cookies that were the absolute best I've ever had.
    They were huge. They were dripping with butter. They fell apart in your hand they were so tender. they were addictive, delicious, and memorable.

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
      RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Sat, 05/8/04 10:13 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by seafarer john

I cant help you with a good recipe, but I have to tell you that the Newburgh Free Academy (Newburgh , NY High School) lunchroom made peanut butter cookies that were the absolute best I've ever had.
      They were huge. They were dripping with butter. They fell apart in your hand they were so tender. they were addictive, delicious, and memorable.

Thanks for sharing a memory, Seafarer. Those cookies sound awesome. Too bad the cafeteria ladies didn't publish a recipe for them.

seafarer john

RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Sat, 05/8/04 10:51 AM (permalink)
        One of the "ladies in a hairnet" told my wife that the "secret" was tons of government surplus butter and peanut butter that they were required to work into the menus...

Rex Allen

• Total Posts: 157
          RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Sat, 05/8/04 6:25 PM (permalink)
          seafarer john Where do you sea fare. I hae sailed all over the Pacific From Alaska to Tasmania, Rex in hot expensive San Diego

seafarer john

RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Sun, 05/9/04 12:13 PM (permalink)
            Rex: For ten years in my youth I worked as a merchant seaman, hiring through the Seafarer's International Union hiring hall, mostly out of New York. Got to Hawaiii, Panama, Philippines, Hong Cong, Japan, Korea, Indonesia. India, Malaya, Viet Nam , and Thailand in the Pacific side of the World.
            Never sailed for pleasure (except in little 16 foot sloops on Long Island sound when I was a teenager), but if you are looking for a hand to hang on the dumb end of a line I'm ready and willing.

Cheers, John

ahmicchick

• Total Posts: 107
              RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 8:49 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by seafarer john

Wish I could help you guys out with a personal recommendation, but here's a link to some PB cookie recipes, and one claims to be a recipe used by a school cafeteria for Peanut Butter Chews:
              http://cookie.allrecipes.com/directory/565.asp

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 8:54 AM (permalink)
                I threw some M&M's into a batch of peanut butter cookies last week and it was really good. I've been thinking about throwing in a bag of trail mix - the mixed nuts, raisins, m&m's variety - and seeing how that works. It sounds like it might be good.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                  RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 10:25 AM (permalink)
                  Seafarer- too bad you probably cant have peanut butter cookies in school anymore due to allergy issues!

stormycat

• Total Posts: 102
                    RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 12:25 PM (permalink)
                    The best recipe I have found is in The Dessert Bible by Christopher Kimball (Cooks Illustrated). I will have to see if I can hunt it down

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                      RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 12:40 PM (permalink)
                      I got rave reviews from using the cookie recipe on the back of a Skippy Peanut Butter jar. No kidding!

seafarer john

RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 1:21 PM (permalink)
                        Renfrew: No allergy to PB, just that we are retired and no longer have the NFA Cafeteria goodies available to us

BTW: Other good things from that school cafeteria were Tuna sandwiches on whole wheat, and grilled cheese sandwiches. I've never been able to duplicate their particular touch on the Tuna sandwich, and I know I'll never be able to duplicate their grilled cheese. The grilled cheese was American on white bread - nothing special there, but the trick is to have it sit in a steam table for at least two hours before being served. It is that cureing process that made it such a great sandwich!

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                          RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 1:26 PM (permalink)
                          oh i am sure you dont, just saying that any dearth of decent lunch lady PB cookies has probably been further eliminated due to the allergy concerns in school today.

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
                            RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Tue, 05/11/04 1:39 PM (permalink)
                            Here you go KimChee! When in doubt turn to Cook's Illustrated!

Peanut Butter Cookies

The key to a peanutty cookie that is crisp on the edges and chewy in the center? Chunky commercial peanut butter and an extra hit of roasted, salted peanuts.

Problem: Recipes for peanut butter cookies tend to fall into one of two camps: sweet and chewy with a mild peanut flavor (which means lots of butter and sugar but not much egg), and sandy and crumbly with a strong peanut flavor (which means lots of peanut butter but not a lot of flour).

Goal: What we wanted, of course, was the best of both—that is, crisp on the edges and chewy in the center, with lots of peanut flavor.

Solution: We started our testing with the recipe for nuttiest-tasting sweet-and-chewy cookie, first trying to bring up the peanut flavor by substituting peanut oil for butter. We quickly learned that this was not the way to go; oil makes a cookie sandy, while shortening adds crispness and chew. Butter, in addition to adding crispness and chew, enhances the peanut flavor. So butter was in, vegetable shortening and peanut oil out.
                            Our next thought was to experiment with the kind and amount of peanut butter. Because of the oil that’s left in "natural" peanut butters, these products didn’t advance our cause. Commercial peanut butters, with their partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, helped the cookie rise and achieve a crispier edge and a softer center.
                            Also playing roles in our quest for the "perfect" peanut butter cookie were the amount and type of sugar (white sugar is necessary for crisp edges and chewy centers, dark brown sugar enriches the flavor of the nuts); flour (too little and the cookies are oily, too much and they are dry); and leavening (baking soda contributes to browning and peanut flavor, baking powder provides lift, so both are necessary).
                            The final turning point, however, rested on peanuts and salt. Adding some toasted, ground, and salted peanuts and then adding still more salt (directly to the batter as well in the form of salted rather than unsalted butter) produced a strong roasted nut flavor without sacrificing anything in terms of texture.

BIG, SUPER-NUTTY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies

Bringing the butter, peanut butter, and eggs to room temperature makes it easier to blend the ingredients. Be sure to grind the peanuts, since whole, and even chopped peanuts tend to slip out of the dough. If using unsalted butter, increase salt to 1 teaspoon. Keep finished cookies refrigerated in airtight container. To restore just-baked chewiness, wrap a cookie in a sheet of paper towel and microwave for approximately 25 seconds. Cool before serving.

2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
                            1/2 teaspoon baking soda
                            1/2 teaspoon baking powder
                            1/2 teaspoon salt
                            1/2 pound butter (2 sticks), salted
                            1 cup (7 ounces) firmly packed dark brown sugar
                            1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
                            1 cup extra-crunchy peanut butter, preferably Jif
                            2 large eggs
                            2 teaspoons vanilla extract
                            1 cup roasted salted peanuts, ground in food processor to resemble bread crumbs, about 14 pulses (about 1 cup, packed)

1. Adjust oven rack to low center position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.

2. In bowl of electric mixer or by hand, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes with electric mixer, stopping to scrape down bowl as necessary. Beat in peanut butter until fully incorporated, then eggs, one at a time, then vanilla. Gently stir dry ingredients into peanut butter mixture. Add ground peanuts; stir gently until just incorporated.

3. Working with 2 tablespoons dough at a time, roll into large balls, placing them 2 inches apart on a parchment-covered cookie sheet. Press each dough ball with back of dinner fork dipped in cold water to make crisscross design. Bake until cookies are puffed and slightly brown along edges, but not top, 10 to 12 minutes (they will not look fully baked). Cool cookies on cookie sheet until set, about 4 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 7 days.

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
                              RE: In Search Of...The Ultimate Peanut Butter Cookie Wed, 05/19/04 11:40 PM (permalink)
                              This is from a 1966 Better Homes and Gardens Cookies and Candies book.

Double Peanut Butter Cookies

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
                              1/2 cup granulated sugar
                              1/2 teaspoon baking soda
                              1/4 teaspoon salt
                              1/2 cup shortening
                              1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
                              1/4 cup light corn syrup
                              1 tablespoon milk.

Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening and peanut butter till mixture resembles coarse meal. Blend in syrup and milk. Shape into 2" roll. chill. Slice 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Place half the slices on ungreased cookie sheet; spread each with 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter. Cover with remaining slices; seal edges with a fork. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from sheet. Makes 2 dozen.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com