The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk"

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 3 of 6, messages 61 to 90 of 162
ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 04/7/11 2:03 PM (permalink)
chicagostyledog

"I love the smell of Maxwell Street Polish in the morning."

As long as said Polish wasn't actually eaten the night before.

It's probably pretty unlikely that I'll be there but nothing will be known for sure until the last minute.  Besides, when have we ever not had room for 1 more?

Brad

ChiTownDiner

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 04/7/11 2:33 PM (permalink)
    I like all the choices...

CSD - you asked...I took a few Roadfood friends visiting in from out of town to RHR.  The place is not very welcoming in terms of appearance or attitude.  We were the only party during the 25-30 minutes we were there.  We ate outside at a filthy picnic table.  The dogs were okay, a C.  The fries were better, but seemed like reheated leftovers.  Again, a C to C+.  The shrimp were better, but I've had better in quite a few places.  Perhaps a B- to B.  Sauce packets if memory is correct were annoying.  could have been an off evening.  The folks working were much more interested in getting us out the door to continue their conversation then in engaging in a diagloue with us.  Not sure I recall any more...

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
      Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 04/7/11 4:24 PM (permalink)
      ChiTownDiner

I like all the choices...

CSD - you asked...I took a few Roadfood friends visiting in from out of town to RHR.  The place is not very welcoming in terms of appearance or attitude.  We were the only party during the 25-30 minutes we were there.  We ate outside at a filthy picnic table.  The dogs were okay, a C.  The fries were better, but seemed like reheated leftovers.  Again, a C to C+.  The shrimp were better, but I've had better in quite a few places.  Perhaps a B- to B.  Sauce packets if memory is correct were annoying.  could have been an off evening.  The folks working were much more interested in getting us out the door to continue their conversation then in engaging in a diagloue with us.  Not sure I recall any more...

I agree with all of the above except the shrimp and the sauce packets. The sauce packets are now cups and our shrimps have always been the freshest in the city.

ChiTownDiner

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 04/7/11 9:33 PM (permalink)
        I'm always willing to try more shrimp!

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 603
          Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 04/8/11 10:17 AM (permalink)
          I'm putting June 4th on my calendar-
          Hoosier Mama Pies for dessert sound great to me!

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 695
            Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 04/8/11 5:15 PM (permalink)
            I like the idea of getting pies for dessert at La Palapa; for anyone who's interested, they're planning on having their patio open on Sunday!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
              Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Mon, 04/11/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
              How about a warm-up? http://jellybelly.cachefly.net/Jelly-Belly/Downloads/Easter_PP_2011.jpg
              I'll be there for flops no matter what you guys do. My church drafted me to be in charge of its Easter brunch for the most diplomatic reason possible. I was doing contract work in Milwaukee the Sunday they did it. If I'm working steadily then  I'm open to any weekend.

abe_froeman

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Wed, 04/27/11 10:54 AM (permalink)
                I'm going to have to meet up with you guys during the tour- I have a little political statement to make that day.  It's from 12-3, but the location is yet to be determined, so my logistics of the day are yet to be determined, also.  Mr. Maki will probably go with the Roadhouses, so he'll be there for the whole thing.

cjucoder

• Total Posts: 164
                  Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 04/29/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
                  Hi kids! Sorry for not responding earlier, I've been contemplating how I can make this trip because I really want to go. I don't know Chicago at all and would love to do this. For now I'm going to have to say I am still on the fence. The problem is just financial, so hopefully I can work this out. I'll post back once I know one way or the other. This looks like an awesome day, so thanks for putting this together.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                    Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 04/29/11 4:06 PM (permalink)
                    Hello all ,
                    Nothin finer than Chicago on a June weekend . 12 hour drive from NY . will let you all know if Ican make it.
                    Benzee

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                      Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 04/30/11 1:38 AM (permalink)
                      cj,
                      I'm not one to tell other folks how to run their lives, but it seems to me that it would behoove the Milwaukee folks to organize and make the trip in as few vehicles as possible.  Same thing for the Flatlanders--if we can pick a meeting spot at the beginning of the tour and consolidate into a couple of cars, I think we'd be better off.

Ben,
                      The Contingent has had auxiliary members from all over the US.  You're welcome to join the fun if you can get here.  Keep us posted on your plans.

Buddy

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                        Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 05/6/11 10:56 AM (permalink)
                        Aren't you going to tell Ben about the ... initiation? Muahaha

Everyone pray my car repair today is something simple like a fuel filter, air filter, blinker fluid, or water pump & not the transmission, otherwise I won't be able to come either.

Will let you know as soon as I can & as long as my car is fixed I can drive, Pam. I'm scared to drive in Chicago, but you don't get anywhere in this life by NOT conquering your fears.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 05/6/11 1:50 PM (permalink)
                          I don't know-that "blinker fluid" can get pretty pricey.  Good thoughts coming your way from the Roadhouse family; hoping you'll make the trip.

I'll post again soon regarding the itinerary options.  This tour is only a month away.  Start praying for better weather!

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Tue, 05/10/11 3:08 PM (permalink)
                            Howdy Contingent members!  The “Dining Ala Trunk Tour” is less than a month away (Saturday, June 4th) and I want to firm up the schedule and confirm who is planning to attend.  My original plan was to visit Hagen’s for Fried Fish Sandwiches, Delicias Mexicanas for Sonoran Hot Dogs, an unspecified Banh Mi shop, the Cuban/Puerto Rican snack carts in Humboldt Park, and a sit down dinner of Mexican Seafood at a Contingent favorite, La Palapa.

Since that initial post back in the middle of March, there have been some suggestions for alternate and additional stops which we should consider and make decisions on.  I’ve got my own thoughts on these places, so I thought I’d make my case for or against each and then we can narrow down the list.

The easiest place to add is Hoosier Mama Pie Company.  Highly acclaimed and well known by several Contingent members, we could grab a couple (few?) pies early in the tour; toss them in a cooler and save them for dessert at La Palapa.  If everyone agrees, we should probably call ahead and order specific pies to be held for us.  Hoosier Mama is very popular and they tend to sell out fast.

Also suggested by chicagostyledog were Bari’s Italian Deli, D'Amato"s #1 Italian & French Bakery, Terry’s Toffee, and Red Hot Ranch for Fried Shrimp.  I’m open to any of these places if enough of the rest of the group wants to make the change/addition.  Here are my thoughts for and against the various choices:

The first two places mentioned are both similar in what they have to offer.  CSD has already suggested going to Bari’s because the bread they use in their subs comes from D’Amato’s; making it, in essence, two stops in one.  The question is, do we want Italian subs or Vietnamese Banh Mi?  I hesitate to do both because we’ve all been on overbooked tours where you finish the day feeling bloated and uncomfortable from too much grub.  I’d rather pick one or the other, and since we’ve already visited Ba Le for Banh Mi, and we’ve never done Italian subs, I vote for Bari’s.

Next up is Terry’s Toffee.  This could be a nice non-eating or light-eating stop where we purchase sweets for later.  Plus, it’s close to Bari’s, so no need to move cars in between stops.  I also vote for Terry’s.

The next one is a little tougher.  Red Hot Ranch has gotten raves for their Fried Shrimp over at LTHForum and from CSD.  Over here at Roadfood, ChiTownDiner was less than impressed with the food and service.  My issue is that we’ve already got a fried fish place on the schedule.  And even if we replaced Hagen’s with Red Hot Ranch, we’re still finishing up at a Mexican Seafood joint where we will undoubtedly get more shrimp.  I know there are some in the group who will scream “sacrilege” but I’m going to say it: “Sounds like too much shrimp to me.”

I vote “no” on Red Hot Ranch, but if enough of the group wants the change or addition, I’ll put it in there.

I’m also looking for non-food activities to break up the day a bit.  A stop at the Mexican Museum of Fine Art might be in order.  They’re located in the Pilsen neighborhood on 19th Street.  Admission is free, although they ask for a voluntary donation of any amount.  Plus, they are usually surrounded by food carts selling elotes, chicharones, churros, mangos, and other fresh fruit sprinkled with hot salt.

Humboldt Park offers its own attractions and photo opportunities.  They have a great field house and boathouse, a beautiful lagoon, lovely gardens, and a sort of Swiss chalet inspired stable house used by the Chicago Police for their horses.

If anyone has any other non-food or shopping stops they’ve been dying to make, please speak up.  We can turn this into a fine whole day affair that gives us not only happy bellies, but also a nice alternative tour of the city.

Speak up folks!  See you on June 4th.

Buddy

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                              Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Tue, 05/10/11 5:30 PM (permalink)
                              I agree about replacing the Banh Mi w/Italian. I can get wonderful Banh Mi here now, so it's not such a MUST HAVE quite so much anymore.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mexican Museum - I'd rather that than a park, actually.

I definitely want to try a Sonoran Hot Dog, and eat at La Palapa, but beyond that, and what I've said above, I really don't care.

X1

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Tue, 05/10/11 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                I shouldn't say "I don't care"...I mean, "I don't have any preference".

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                  Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Tue, 05/10/11 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                  No offense , my friends, but I just am not interested in your choices. You guys have been at many of the places before, and while you have good memories, I would have loved to see different choices. I may be wrong, but the choices arent of my ilk.

quijote

• Total Posts: 644
                                    Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Wed, 05/11/11 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Just out of curiosity, Ann, what choices would you like to see included in an itinerary such as this? Buddy still seems to be taking suggestions for the tour, so perhaps he can include a place that would suit you?

Though I cannot attend this tour (I'll be travelling abroad), it looks pretty darn good to me: an Italian deli, a candy shop, Sonoran hot dogs, seafood.... Seems to reflect a nice sliver of Chicago's ethnic heritage, street-food style. And for another tour down the road, an itinerary can consist of places mentioned, but not visited, this time around: a banh mi shop, shrimp at Red Hot Ranch, and a couple of other places. So much Chicago, so little time.

irisarbor

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/12/11 11:55 AM (permalink)
                                      Buddy's suggestions all sound good to me-
                                      the only thing I would consider adding in/on is BBQ if there is any along the way-
                                      there are tons of great Chicago BBQ places I never get to, because I always make my own LOL.... splitting some up- even 2 or 3 ribs are a nice nibble in between things.
                                      just a thought

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                        Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/12/11 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                        Maybe its just I am traveled out. I would love to go to an Italian deli, but as we are surrounded by awesome fish and shrimp places here, its not a must do.And I just dont like mexican seafood. I have tried and tried...I hope i havent offended anyone-this trip, while sounding fun, just isnt grabbing me.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                          Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/12/11 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                          As much as I'd like to be a part of this hootenanny I'm afraid it's just not going to work for me with all that's going on on the 5th.

Brad

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                                            • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                            Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 05/21/11 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                            Buddy,
                                            It is time to publish the schedule.  We will probably join the fun mid-day and want to plan our first stop.
                                            Jim

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                                              • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                              Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 1:21 AM (permalink)
                                              Crickets chirping ...

Is this still going to happen?

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 2:40 AM (permalink)
                                                Sorry for the delay, I've just been busy with work and other matters lately.

Yes, it is going to happen.  In fact, I've been doing my due diligence, visiting proposed places on the tour that I had not yet personally visited.  There may be a change or two on the tour based on those results.  Thus the delay.  I want to map out a route and do a bit more research before publishing a schedule.  I'll have it shortly.

Meanwhile, do we have a final head count?

Buddy

X1

• Location: Milwaukee, WI (Ex-NOLA)
                                                  Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 5:32 AM (permalink)
                                                  The FLs, Gyp and I are coming.
                                                  ChuckL is now a resident of New Orleans, and will not be attending.

abe_froeman

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    Mr. Maki and I will be there later in the afternoon, after our political event.  As soon as there's a schedule, I'll have an idea of where we'll meet y'all.

We're still going to get Mario's Italian Ice to "Irish up" at La Palapa, right?

If I can figure out a way to transport it safely on a warm day (hoping it's warm by then!), I'll make an early birthday cake for Stricken...Stricken, how's your car?

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 4:11 PM (permalink)
                                                      abe_froeman

We're still going to get Mario's Italian Ice to "Irish up" at La Palapa, right?

Frankly, I wasn't happy with the final product last time; mixing tequila and Italian ice.  You'd think it would work, but it had less than the desired effect, as far as I was concerned.  I've got no problem bringing a bottle of tequila along, but I think we're better off getting a bottle of Margarita mix, or, if a Contingent member has a never fail recipe for same, maybe you'd like to bring to bring a quart or two along for the ride.

Working on the schedule and route.  I'll publish soon.

Buddy

abe_froeman

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        I've heard vodka's better.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                                                          • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                          Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 05/26/11 10:58 PM (permalink)
                                                          Buddy, you bring the tequila, I'll bring the Colt .45 and dance on the hood of Stricken Detective's car, while shooting out a couple of street lights. Nina and I are in. We'll meet up with you later. She has to chaperone her high school's senior graduation. Kindly e-mail your cell phone number.

Mark

irisarbor

• Location: Deerfield, IL
                                                            Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 05/27/11 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                                            Frank and I are in
                                                            thinking more cerveza than tequila

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 3 of 6, messages 61 to 90 of 162

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com