In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk"

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/27 14:27:35 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure La Palapa is BYOB, so feel free to bring cerveza or whatever your chosen poison may happen to be.
If I'm reading these responses right, the group will look like this:
For Sure:
Roadhouses: 2
abe_froeman & Mr Maki: 2
X1: 1
MilwFoodlovers: 2
Gyp: 1
chicagostyledog: 2
JRPfeff: 2 (+more?)
irisarbor:2
Not Committed, But Probable:
stricken_detective
ChiTownDiner
guspas

If I've missed anyone, please respond soon and correct my error.

Before I put together a timetable; a couple of considerations: One thing I've noticed in most of the responses is a need to join the group later in the day due to earlier commitments.  The other consideration is a departure time for our Milwaukee friends.

So, here are my questions to the group: What time do you think you can join the group?  I don't mind a later start if it will allow more people to join the tour for more stops.  And then, of course, what time do you want to wrap things up?  It's a Saturday night, we're all grown-ups with adult beverages and after dinner pies, so how late do you want to go?

Once I get a sense of the direction y'all want to go in, I can post a schedule.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2713
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/27 15:58:32 (permalink)
Jeff,
Bobbi really wants the Mexican seafood.  We will work our way back from there in the schedule for an appropriate joining location.  We fly in from PHX the day before, arriving at midnight, so we will be slow to rise.
Jim
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/27 16:48:17 (permalink)
I'm not the driver, so it all depends on what Gyp and the FLs want to do. I have no preference.
cjucoder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/28 19:52:48 (permalink)
Looks like I am out for sure. Can't put the funds together. Being poor sucks. Sad and Disappointed
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 707
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/30 14:12:52 (permalink)
My event ends at Daley Plaza at 3:00...save us a few bites of whatever we miss and we'll be fine- don't schedule around us- as long as we make it to La Palapa, we'll be happy. (Not because we're not interested in the other places, but because after all the walking we'll be doing earlier, we'll be looking forward to a relaxing "trip to Nayarit" with some langostinos and a frosty malted beverage!)

ETA: Oh, and La Palapa's Facebook page, under "Political Views" says, "BYOB", so yes- bring your own!
post edited by abe_froeman - 2011/05/30 14:18:00
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/30 20:07:25 (permalink)
As is her wont, Mrs MFL is probably going to pass on Saturday." />
The week however is not over.
Do we have an suggested itinerary with times yet?
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/30 21:07:44 (permalink)
Haven't visited the board for awhile, but yeah I'm in per what X1 said. Looking forward to this. I'm good with whatever the final itinerary may be. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/30 21:57:03 (permalink)
Doing some final research regarding the itinerary.  I should have something posted sometime on Tuesday.  Definitely gonna be some changes, but La Palapa is still our last stop.

Buddy
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/30 22:24:44 (permalink)
Also I'm flexible as far as start and end time so whatever is decided on will be fine.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 11:49:51 (permalink)
We are flexible, too- as long as nobody gets detention again this week we should be fine with any times
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 14:16:34 (permalink)
So, I’ve been doing my research; gotta make sure we hit the good spots on Saturday and not waste time or calories.  I’ve got some changes to the lineup that I want to run by the group before I carve anything in stone.

For starters, I went down to Delicias Mexicanas to check out the Sonoran Hot Dog.  I have to say; not at all impressed.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s a perfectly good Hot Dog, but it needs to be a lot better before I’ll drag a group of 15-20 people miles out of our way from the rest of the tour.

I’m not sure what I expected.  The typical Sonoran hot dog is a bacon-wrapped dog nestled in a soft Mexican roll topped with pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeno sauce, cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard.  I guess I wanted more of the sandwich’s Southwestern roots to shine through and it didn’t happen.  For starters, the version served at Delicias Mexicanas didn’t look anything like the images I’ve seen on the internet.  The jalapeno sauce/relish was severely lacking in quantity—maybe that was one reason the Southwestern flavors didn’t come across.

Bottom line, with all the other Hispanic influenced food we’ve got lined up; I’m dropping Delicias Mexicanas and the Sonoran Hot Dog.

If we really want another Mexican sandwich, there’s a place called Cemitas Puebla, not far from the Humboldt Park food trailers that might be worth a stop.  The house specialty is called a Cemita.  It’s kind of like a torta, only way better.  You can see one being made here:

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?erube_fh=cp&cp.submit.restaurantDetail=1&cp.id=343

If we don’t want another Mexican based meal, we can opt for George’s Kabob House for Middle Eastern.  I stopped in here Monday night for a late night snack.  My Chicken Shwarma sandwich was quite good, although I really want to go back to try their appetizer called, “Borak”, described as “Stuffed eggroll wraps with lamb meat and prepared with special spices”.

Entrees at Georges are a bit pricey, but they have a full line of much less expensive sandwiches and kabobs.

Another change is that we’ll do a “three-fer” when we go to Bari’s Italian Deli.  As CSD points out Bari, D’Amato’s, and Terry’s Toffee are all in very close proximity to each other.  No reason we can’t visit all of these places; parking our cars just once.

Finally, based on CSD’s raving, I paid a visit to Red Hot Ranch.  I gotta admit; those are some darned good deep fried shrimp.  Maybe worth a visit, I’ll let the group decide.

So without any specific times listed (yet), here’s the potential lineup, in order of appearance:

Hagen’s Fish Market for Pittsburgh style Fish Sandwiches, smoked fish, and Salmon Candy (yep, Salmon Candy!  It’s a special recipe: Wild salmon fillet brined with syrup and brown sugar coated with honey and then smoked—it’s like a sweet salmon jerky!  Yum!)

George’s Kabob House for Shwarma Sandwiches, Borak Appetizers, and other Middle Eastern street food delights.

Humboldt Park Food Trailers for Puerto Rican and Cuban street foods in a lovely park setting.

Cemitas Puebla for Cemita Sandwiches

Red Hot Ranch for Deep Fried Shrimp, Depression Style Chicago Hot Dogs, and excellent Hand Cut Fries.

Bari Italian Deli, D’Amato’s Bakery, and Terry’s Toffee (all in the 1100 block of West Grand Avenue) for Subs, Italian baked and deli goods, and Toffee.

Hoosier Mama Pie Company for take-away pies to be eaten for dessert at La Palapa.  I’ll call to see what pies will be offered on Saturday.  If there are certain preferences, maybe we can reserve some slices, as they tend to sell out quickly.

La Palapa for our Grand Finale of Mexican Seafood, Margaritas, Cerveza, and Pie.

That’s eight stops (I guess we treat Bari/D’Amato/Terry’s as one big stop) with ten potential restaurants.  We have all learned from experience that ten is a very bad idea.  So, let’s whittle it down to the best four plus La Palapa as a solid lock.

Whatever we choose, the above will be the order in which we make the stops—for now, we can plug in or remove whichever places we want leading up to a final itinerary.  This starts us on the North Side and works us steadily south with a slight and unavoidable east/west zigzag.  If we do stop at the National Museum of Mexican Art, it will be after the Grand Avenue and Hoosier Mama stops, and before we finish up at La Palapa.  Also, if anyone has any ideas for other non-food stops, I’m open to your thoughts.

That’s all I got for now.  Peruse the list, pick your faves, and weigh in.  I’ll make a final itinerary after getting a little feedback.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 15:27:37 (permalink)
I would say either do Humboldt Park or Cemitas Puebla depending on the weather forecast, Cemitas is indoors if we are having more torrential rains.
and I like the idea of fried shrimp, but given we are starting and ending w fish, it may be too much for some
but I'd personally rather do shrimp than shwarma- I get that at work all the time.
I'll go with the flow- 
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8477
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 16:15:54 (permalink)
Well, upon further review, this sounds like a great itinerary and I take back what I said before-most of the stops really do interest me. I am just sorry I cant make it...
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 19:27:40 (permalink)
Strictly going by the food I want to eat and not knowing anything about any of the places if I had to pick 4 in addition to La Palapa I'd vote for- 
Hagen's, George's, Red Hot Ranch, Humboldt Trailers.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 20:43:05 (permalink)
Although CSD and I share a common birthday I have no idea what a depression era hot dog and what makes it different.
I confess that on Friday's (and Friday's only) in Milwaukee Amelia's serves the best fried shrimp I've ever had the luck to taste. They serve two different types of shrimp and you'd want the one pound serving of beer battered shrimp. It's $13.99 and is a dinner complete with rye bread, cole slaw and potato pancakes. The shrimp taste like they just were hauled out of the gulf, the batter is very light and they are cooked only long enough for the shrimp to firm up. Red Hot Ranch, the bar is set very high and I don't expect a new personal favorite but I certainly have an open mind. Amelia's is about a block away from the Nite Owl. Their Italian sausage (made in house) Bomber is da bomb too. http://www.foodspot.com/Clients/WI/Milwaukee/Amelias/default.aspx?accid=21563
I've had Mississippi River catfish jerky in Ferryville Wisconsin and I can attest to just how good fish jerky can be. Really good shwarma is devine so that's cool but we can get OK shwarma here (not great) so if it has to go, it has to go. I am curious about the shrimp but since I'm so sure it won't measure up, I don't care what gets tossed out for another trip. I'm not one for pies so my only votes are for La Palapa and the trailers and Bari's if it measures up to Freddy's.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 21:10:04 (permalink)
Hagen's and George's are the two that I'd skip. Not a fan of most fish (although I love seafood), and I could take or leave Shawarma.
Also, I would save the carbs and skip Cemita's.

I love pie, so I'd love to peek into Hoosier Mama's....even tho' I'm not s'posed to have it. 

Again...I'm not picky; if these are chosen or others are not, I'm fine. I just can't wait to see everyone and hang out for the day!

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2713
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/05/31 23:26:21 (permalink)
Jeff - Make this the homestretch and we will drop in somewhere along the way.

Cemitas Puebla
Red Hot Ranch
Bari Italian Deli, D’Amato’s Bakery, and Terry’s Toffee
Hoosier Mama Pie Company
La Palapa
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 15:37:10 (permalink)
Just got off the phone with Hoosier Mama Pie Company.  Knowing that they sell out on a regular basis, I wanted to find out:
1. What pies are going to be available on Saturday, and
2. If we could “reserve” pies if people expressed a preference for a particular variety of pie.

The bad news is, they haven’t yet made up their Saturday Pie List, so we don’t know what will be on hand.  Also, they don’t do reservations on slices of pie.

The good news is that we can preorder whole pies and they will hold them for us until we arrive.

The better news is that they can make 6” pies (their regular pies are 9”, and cut into six pieces each), so we can order a wide variety of pies if we can’t agree on a couple of bigger pies.

The cautious news is that they need at least 48 hours’ notice for custom pie orders, so we need to get our order in before the end of the work day tomorrow, Thursday.

You can see a list of pies that are available for preorder here:

http://www.hoosiermamapie.com/order.php

Look it over, pick out a couple of favorites and let us know.  I’ll place an order based on group consensus.  I’m thinking we’ll need either 2-3 9” pies or 5-6 6” pies if we want more variety.

Also, I’m firming up the list and will post a solid itinerary either late Thursday or early Friday.

See you all on Saturday!

Buddy

P.S. My personal votes would be for Key Lime, Banana Cream, and their signature pie, Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie.  Or something with chocolate.  Or lemon...

B.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2011/06/01 15:41:10
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 15:43:53 (permalink)
I vote for these: esp sugar cream and coconut custard!

HOOSIER SUGAR CREAM PIE - $18
An Indiana farm classic. A sweet creamy brown sugar filling inside a buttery pie crust.

COCONUT CUSTARD PIE - $18
Lots of coconut flavor in a silky baked custard. A staff favorite.

GINGER CUSTARD - $20
A pretty golden custard flavored and decorated with chopped candied ginger

COCONUT CREAM PIE - $20
Made with light pastry cream made with coconut milk with toasted coconut above and below.

CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE - $21
Rich thick chocolate pastry cream topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream and bittersweet chocolate curls.

ESPRESSO CREAM - $20
Metropolis Coffee Co's Famous REDLINE ESPRESSO gives this delicate cream pie its deep coffee flavor.

PASSIONFRUIT MERINGUE PIE - $22
Our exotic twist on an old favorite.

ORANGE CREAM PIE - $20
A bright tangy orange cream in a pecan graham cracker crust topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream. A safer bet than a Florida vacation this year.

KEY LIME PIE - $20
Fresh squeezed Key limes and a crisp ginger snap crust are the secrets to our version of this iconic pie. Topped with meringue or whipped cream.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 15:46:59 (permalink)
First elimination: George's Kabob House.

Upon reheating leftovers I decided that if we want Middle Eastern, we can do better on a later tour.  Between now and whenever that next tour might be, I will make the ultimate sacrifice and track down that place where we can do better.

First solid choice (other than La Palapa): Bari/D'Amato's/Terry's.

Just because it's a three for one stop.

I'll post more tonight.

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 16:49:31 (permalink)
My pie choices:

Fat Elvis
Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie
Ginger Custard
Peanut Butter Pie
Banana Cream
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 17:17:59 (permalink)
I am all for anything with bananas or coconut, and most of the chocolate.

My picks would be:

Fat Elvis
Sugar Cream
Coconut Custard
Banana Cream
Chocolate Cream
Key Lime
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3308
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 19:53:57 (permalink)
Nina and I will arrive in Chicago some time between 3:30 and 4:00 and will intercept you at the location of your stop at that time.

Gimme any cream pie!

CSD

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 20:24:42 (permalink)
As the pie votes continue to come in, a couple of notes:

1. It's been a couple of years since my last visit to the Humboldt Park trailers, and not wanting to have any clunkers among our picks, I made a quick (not so much) trip down there this afternoon.  I can now make an unqualified recommendation for this stop.  There are so many choices from so many trailers, surely everybody will find something they can enjoy.  There are plenty of hand held snack and street foods, full dinners (kind of a Puerto Rican meat and three), loads of beverage choices, and more pedal powered ice cream vendors than you can shake a churro at.

Plus, Humboldt Park is only about a half mile away from Cemitas Puebla if we decide to make a last minute decision to go there.

2. After eating at about four different carts in Humboldt Park, i wished I had some disposable utensils and some heavy duty paper plates.  Napkins are readily available, but if everyone brings a small package of plastic ware and plates, and is prepared to share, I think we'll all be happier.

I can bring a couple of folding tables--like we had at Calumet Fisheries way back when.  Also, I'll bring some bigger knives and cutting boards for splitting things up.  Those who want to sit (there's a lovely pavilion at Humboldt Park where we can all gather for sharing after making our selections) should bring lawn chairs or the like.

Bottom line for Saturday-Be Prepared.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2011/06/01 20:26:19
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/01 23:44:50 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Bottom line for Saturday-Be Prepared.

Weather prediction for Saturday:

Saturday
Mostly cloudy HI: 88°

LO: 65°

Continued quite warm and humid at the start with a few thunderstorms over at least 30 percent of the metropolitan area; then turning partly sunny with slowly falling humidity readings.

Also, I've tipped off La Palapa of our impending visit.  Do we have a vague idea of what time we'd be getting there?

They got new palm trees on their patio!
post edited by abe_froeman - 2011/06/01 23:58:12
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/02 01:48:34 (permalink)
Getting closer to an actual itinerary.  Here’s the layout, in order, of where we’ll be going.  All addresses are in Chicago proper.

Hagen’s Fish Market
5635 West Montrose Avenue
(773) 283-1944

Humboldt Park Food Trailers
Near the park entrance at Humboldt Drive and North Avenue (1600 north/3000 west), then various locations around the park.
See map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&pq=hagen%27s+fish+market&xhr=t&q=humboldt+park&cp=5&qe=aHVtYm8&qesig=jdktxZ1jUtB4RjxMmpRdzg&pkc=AFgZ2tmUhWmqK1tHVkvRRI7Abj_QZ3Xx440qnBexkvnMWDXokb6OT_InemOmqKOwoNuR2aJfwvj_sg1jXUuNXi3ZWONLholLMQ&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS321&biw=1920&bih=934&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x880fcd4a1353c471:0x13001e0a9a1e512c,Humboldt+Park,+Chicago,+IL&gl=us&ei=IxznTfCiI423tgfVqqTdCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA

Cemitas Puebla
3619 W. North Avenue
(773) 772-8435

Red Hot Ranch
2072 N Western Ave
(773) 772-6020

Hoosier Mama Pie Company
1618½ Chicago Avenue
(312) 243-4846

Bari Italian Deli
1120 W Grand Ave # 1
(312) 666-0730

D’Amato’s Bakery
1125 West Grand Avenue
(312) 733-5455

Terry’s Toffee
1117 West Grand Avenue
(312) 733-2700

La Palapa
2000 W 34th St
(773) 376-9620
I know, I know, there are nine stops which is crazy.  But here are the details:

Humboldt Park and Cemitas Puebla are just six blocks apart and we can call an audible at the last minute as to whether we want to go there or not.

Hoosier Mama will be a pick up only with no actual dining at the location.

Bari Italian Deli, D’Amato’s Bakery, and Terry’s Toffee are all on the same block.  We’re all grown-ups and we can decide if we want to go into one, two, or all three spots.  We’ve all done these tours before and we all know how much we’ll be eating before the end of the tour.

So, when you combine Humboldt Park and Cemitas Puebla into one stop and Bari, D’Amato’s, and Terry’s into one stop, we actually only have six stops; with actual eating only being done at five of them.

It will be much easier to make up the itinerary if I know when our Milwaukee friends can meet us at Hagen’s (noon sound alright?), and what time they want to wrap up at La Palapa before heading home (is 9:00 too late?).

Actual times to be posted tomorrow.  Full directions to each location will be handed out at the top of the tour.

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/02 05:23:41 (permalink)
Whatever time you choose is fine. 9 is not too late. It is, after all, a Saturday.

Just a question, but if Hoosiers is just a pick up, do we *all* have to stop there? Or can there be designated pick up people that will meet us at the next stop, especially since the next stop is the Trio?
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/02 09:44:16 (permalink)
I think X1's suggestion of a designated pick-up person for HMP is a good one-
I also think nine is crazy and we should consider nixing Cemitas-it's really a duplication of what is avail in Humboldt Pk with the main diff being it's on a bun instead of a tortilla (I think)

Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/02 11:10:02 (permalink)
I can't leave Milwaukee until 8AM so I think 10AM is the earliest the X1/Gyp/MFL group could be there. As far as the pies go, I like all those that irisarbor listed except for the 2 coconut ones.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" 2011/06/02 14:01:05 (permalink)
X1-Yes we can have a designated "pick-up" person for Hoosier Mama.  However, there may be some people who will want to go anyway because they may not be able to join us for dinner at La Palapa.  ChiTownDiner, if he makes it at all, will be a prime example of this.

irisarbor-Cemitas Puebla is strictly an ad lib stop.  I threw it in because of its proximity to the Humboldt Park Trailers.  I have no problem dropping it.  I just want to leave it on the list for anyone who feels they want to give it a try.  Also, what Cemitas Puebla offers (the cemita sandwich) is not available at any of the trailers.

Gyp-I'm not looking for an exceedingly early start.  I think if we meet at noon at Hagen's, that will give us ample time to work our way through the tour.

To all-I'm placing the Hoosier Mama order as follows:
9" Sugar Cream
9" Key Lime
6" Coconut Custard
6" Banana Cream
6" Chocolate Cream

This order will insure everybody gets at least two pieces of pie, more if we cut smaller pieces in an effort to try more varieties.  Based on the number of people we currently have committed to the tour, it will cost $4.50 per head.

The itinerary with specific (give or take) times is next!

Buddy
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1