The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk"

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 162
Gyp

• Total Posts: 155
Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Thu, 06/2/11 3:31 PM (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Gyp-I'm not looking for an exceedingly early start.  I think if we meet at noon at Hagen's, that will give us ample time to work our way through the tour.

Perfect.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
    Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 06/3/11 3:23 AM (permalink)
    Okay, one day to go, time to get down to serious business.

Here’s a best guess timeline for Saturday.  There are no non-food stops in here.  If we have extra time at any given stop, we can do some neighborhood exploration.

To get to Hagen’s  from Milwaukee; take I-94 south to Cicero exit (41C).  Continue south on Cicero to Montrose, turn right (west).  Take Montrose to address, about 8 ½ blocks.

Noon-Meet at Hagen’s Fish Market

12:45 leave Hagen’s

1:15 Arrive at Humboldt Park

2:45-3:00 Leave Humboldt Park (if we wrap up early at the park, and if we feel like it, we can head over to Cemitas Puebla)

3:15-Arrive at Red Hot Ranch (I’ll make the quick detour over to Hoosier Mama to pick up the pies, and meet the group at RHR)

4:00-Leave Red Hot Ranch

4:20 Arrive at 1100 block of west Grand Avenue (Bari/D’Amato’s/Terry’s Toffee)

5:45 Leave Grand Avenue

6:15 Arrive La Palapa, party ‘til whenever…

I’ll hand out direction sheets on the day of the tour.

Any questions; now’s the time to ask ‘em.  Otherwise, see you Saturday at noon, or whenever you can join the group.  Stay in touch.

Buddy

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
      Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 06/3/11 7:35 PM (permalink)
      What's the headcount by the time we get to La Palapa, just so I can give them an idea?

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
        Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 06/3/11 8:42 PM (permalink)
        Abe - We will have 2 for La Palapa.

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
          Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 06/3/11 9:38 PM (permalink)
          2 for LaPalapa

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
            Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Fri, 06/3/11 9:56 PM (permalink)
            2 for LaPalapa

ChiTownDiner

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 8:41 AM (permalink)
              I'll be joining the tour early but will depart prior to LaPalapa...see you all soon!

X1

• Total Posts: 937
                Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 8:42 AM (permalink)
                3 or 4 for La Palapa

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                  Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 8:58 AM (permalink)
                  X1

3 or 4 for La Palapa

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                    Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 10:25 AM (permalink)
                    Nina and I will catch up with the Contingent at the Red Hot Ranch. We'll also supply some cold 7UP-retro in the bottle, made with real sugar.

CSD

JRPfeff

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 10:29 AM (permalink)
                      Buddy - We are looking at meeting up with you at Hoosier Mama's.  Bobbi want to look at pies first hand. We'll see how it compares to this ...

Jim

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                        Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 10:44 AM (permalink)
                        I think Bobbi will be happier than a pig in...mud when she visits Hoosier Mama.

Call me from the road so we can coordinate times.

Buddy

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                          Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 10:45 AM (permalink)
                          MilwFoodlovers

X1

3 or 4 for La Palapa

Who does this include?  I told them 14 based on the earlier RSVP list:

Roadhouses: 2
                          abe_froeman & Mr Maki: 2
                          X1: 1
                          MilwFoodlovers: 2
                          Gyp: 1
                          chicagostyledog: 2
                          JRPfeff: 2 (+more?)
                          irisarbor:2

Did Mrs MFL change her mind, as is her wont?

Either way, no big deal to squeeze a 15th in

X1

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sat, 06/4/11 10:50 AM (permalink)
                            4 is me, Gyp and the FLs.

JRPfeff

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 9:41 AM (permalink)

X1

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                LA PALAPA LA PALAPA LA PALAPA

X1

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                  Thanks, Buddy....I had a great time and liked 99% of the food I had (still not sure about that Puerto Rican stuffed whatever that was....). It was a great day, even with the rain. Traffic and parking cooperated. Awesome.
                                  Hope you're feeling better today!

X1

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                    *knock knock*
                                    "Candygram"

/Land Shark

Gyp

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                      Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, you're blocking my access to delicious Mexican seafood at La Palapa with your pants on the ground

Gyp

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                        I put a bunch of pictures up on my Foodspotting page if anyone wants to take a look
                                        http://www.foodspotting.com/24116-chuck

irisarbor

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                          Salmon Candy on toasted Italian bread w cream cheese for breakfast.. mmmmmmmm

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                            Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                            I can't figure out how to embed this, so here's a link to yesterday's entertainment.

ChiTownDiner

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                              It was really great to see everyone again...the food and company were fantastic!  I really enjoyed the varried food choices from a fish shack to the Puerto rican food trucks of Humbolt Park to pie to hot dogs, fries and shrimp to the Italian twosome along with some toffee...and that doesn't even count the grand finale!

Thanks buddy for the coordinating job...well done and much appreciated!  Would be nice to see a few more Chicago folks join in....

Thanks to all the Wisconsonites that made the trip...enjoyed catching up!

As I had a less than stellar visit to RHR, this visit was the exact opposite...the shrimp were perfect, the fries hot and prepared just right.  I did not have a dog, but those that did loved 'em!  I'm back in the fold!

The sub from Bari's was a winner as were the baked goods from D'amato's...perhaps it was the company!

MilwFoodlovers

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                                Ditto that Greg.

Gyp

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Sun, 06/5/11 9:05 PM (permalink)
                                                  Had a really good time. It was great to see everybody. Thanks Buddy for putting it all together. Can't wait until the next Contingent get together.

ChiTownDiner

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Mon, 06/6/11 7:09 AM (permalink)
                                                    Any comments on the pies? Which ones were best? Were there 5 different pies? What was the best of the seafood at dinner?

MilwFoodlovers

Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Mon, 06/6/11 7:52 AM (permalink)
                                                      I enjoyed the crust on the Hoosier Sugar Cream pie. All the shrimp dishes at La Palapa were very good but the French fries and depression style dog at Redhot Ranch were my personal favorites.

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                        Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Mon, 06/6/11 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        Greg -
                                                        Bobbi & I were both very impressed with the pies. The crusts were flaky and tasty, and were not overloaded with salt like so many pies we try are.  There were 5 pies, we both liked the Hoosier Sugar Cream pie, it was an unusual pie, not something typically found in restaurants or pie shops.

Bobbi's favorite was the Chocolate Cream, but she didn't care for the Key Lime. I had the opposite reaction to these two pies. I think Hoosier Mama goes to extremes with their fillings. That meant too much key lime flavor for Bobbi's tastes, and too much dark chocolate for mine (I know, I know ...).

We enjoyed everything we tried at La Palapa, and really liked the focaccias from D'Amato's for Sunday lunch.

Jim

irisarbor

• Location: Deerfield, IL
                                                          Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Mon, 06/6/11 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                          At LaPalapa, I really loved the romplecherchon?  rumplestiltskin? "mattress breaker" dish with the mixed seafood over rice.  The octopus was so tender and delicious- it was some of the best octopus I've had in years!

Pie -wise I loved the coconut and sugar cream, but I thin the chocolate was my fave, it has a really nice balance of bitter and sweet in the chocolate that was IMO perfectly balanced by the lightness of the whipped cream topping.  The key lime was OK, but a bit too tart for my personal taste- crust was great... I think a lemon meringue would have worked better because then the tartness of the lemon is balanced by the sweetness of the meringue.  Didn't try the banana- not my bag....
                                                          Also loved the shrimp at RHR- best fried shrimp ever!

Gyp

• Location: Wauwatosa, WI
                                                            Re:In Spring The Contingent's Thoughts Turn to Dining "Ala Trunk" Mon, 06/6/11 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            JRPfeff
                                                            That meant too much key lime flavor for Bobbi's tastes,

I absolutely loved the key lime because of the super tart flavor.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 162

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com