In Springfield, IL area

Author
CBussey64
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/04/06 20:55:02 (permalink)

In Springfield, IL area

Going back for my 30th reunion to Pawnee, IL, staying in Springfield, IL and will also tavel to Greenview, IL and Petersburg, IL ... any suggestions for local eateries would be greatly appreciated.  Esp. the very much missed Horseshoe.  Thank you in advance.

13 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/06 22:16:21 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4275
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/06 23:04:15 (permalink)
    Time for my job as cheerleader for The Dr. of BBQ ( http://www.drofbbq.com/ ), home of the best dang 'Que in the greater Springfield area.  The Doc specializes in some of the meatiest ribs you will ever sink your teeth into.  Tender, fall off the bone, but still with a good meat "chew"; no meat jello will be served at the Dr.'s office.

He also recently started doing rib tips unlike any other I've ever had.  Most tips are chewy knots of gristle and fat; more work than they're worth for the yield you get.  The Dr.'s tips are perfect little knuckles of porky genius surrounding a single bone that acts as a thumb and forefinger carrying handle.  Perfect for dipping in his excellent sauce, then nibbling around the edges until that bone is nekkid.

The Doc also serves top notch brisket and polled pork, and his sides are killers too.  Great beans, excellent slaw and very good potato salad as well.

The Dr. of BBQ is located on a triangle of land, just past the viaduct and off to the left, about a quarter mile north of the famous Cozy Dog Drive In.  Look at the link and check out Google for a clear view map showing how to get there.

The Doc is a must stop!

Buddy

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/07 09:49:07 (permalink)
    First check under the Restaurants tab above.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/07 10:45:32 (permalink)
    My first two tries with the Springfield Horseshoe at Springfield Family Restaurant (when everything was closed on labor day) and the Roadfood reviewed D & J Cafe, I was disappointed.

This photo was taken at D & J Cafe last June of a ham horseshoe- as you can see they use frozen french fries. 

This was a roast pork Horseshoe at The Corner Pub and Restaurant from last September prepared with fresh cut fries
    This was the first time I truly appreciated a horseshoe
    I totally recommend the Corner Pub and Restaurant, if you go (and you should) ask the server to make sure they put the fries over sauce - very important.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/07 13:22:19 (permalink)
    Love it or hate it, Joe Rogers chili has been around since 1945.
    I liked it but friends thought it was too greasy. They serve mild and hot chili, but be forewarned. Their hot chili is VERY HOT!!!

Check out their website for location and hours, but remember they only accept cash, no credit cards.

www.joerogerschili.com

the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/23 18:14:26 (permalink)
    Don't miss Cozy Dog Drive In!

highcard
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2012/04/23 20:23:11 (permalink)
    Recently spent the night in Springfield, so had a chance at dinner there.

We tried to go to Darcy's Pint, which is supposed to have the best horseshoe in town, but there was an hour to hour and a half wait for a table.  The place was packed.

So we went downtown and found a little pizza joint.  Gallina's, I think it was called.  EXCELLENT pizza and a good salad.
    post edited by highcard - 2012/04/23 20:34:34
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5155
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2013/10/21 11:04:33 (permalink)
    Is there anyplace good for a later (7:30 on) dinner in the area around I-55 and S. Dirksen Parkway?  Unfortunately it looks there are lots of chains around so a short drive is acceptable, but the travelers will be somewhat road-weary by that point and probably not of a mind to go traipsing from one end of the city to the other.  Other suggestions along I-55 from B-N to Springfield would be appreciated, too.  Thanks!
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/10/21 11:10:23
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2013/10/21 14:03:41 (permalink)
    I assume "B-N" refers to Bloomington-Normal?  Took a little detective work to figger that out, but I think that's what you meant.  Pretty slim pickins between there and Springpatch.  You definitely don't want to waste time at the Dixie Trucker's Home in McLean, since they were taken over by a multinational conglomerate a number of years ago.

The Dr. of BBQ took us to dinner last winter at the Chesapeake Seafood House. I know seafood is not the first thing you think of when it comes to the Springfield dining scene, but these guys did a pretty good job.  Granted, it ain't cheap, but the pricing isn't outrageous either.  Plus, it fits your other criteria; they're just off Dirksen Pkwy., near I-55, and they serve dinner until 10pm, Monday through Saturday.

Looks like you can get off southbound I-55 at Clear Lake Avenue (exit 98-B), head west about half a mile and it should be right there.

A couple of cheaper options, Gabotoni's serves a good thin crust pizza and old school "red-sauce' Italian dinners, and D'arcy's Pint is a big ol' Irish sports bar serving, what some people say is, the town's best Horseshoe sandwich.  I've had better, but unfortunately the names of those places escape me at the moment.  Both places fit your after 7:30 requirement, but they're a little further off the interstate than Chesapeake Seafood House.  Of course, in Springfield, that's really not a big deal.  We're not talking about a sprawling metropolis here.

Just occurred to me, if you're not adverse to a few dozen stuffed animal heads watching you eat, the Westwoods Lodge has some outstanding Pub Grub.  They've got some real interesting variations on bar food classics.  The Dr. Of BBQ took abe_froeman and me there last summer.  I had a fantastic venison burger.  They're open until 9:00pm, and they're about eight miles further west of Chesapeake Seafood.  Totally worth the trip.

Of course, if you don't mind eating in your car or hotel room, you can always get a real meal from The Dr. himself.  He's open until 8:00pm and serves the best dang 'Que in town.  Heck, introduce yourself, drop my name, and he might even let you eat, standing up of course, right there in his immaculately kept trailer!  You wouldn't be the first Roadfooder welcomed into the Doc's smoky world. I know ChiTownDiner has been a guest, and several others, if I'm not mistaken.

When I started writing this post, I didn't think I'd have this much to offer, but I come to realize The Dr. has introduced me to a lot of amazing places over the years.  Thanks Doc!

SC, have a great trip.  Hope you find something good to eat.

Buddy

Chesapeake Seafood House
    3045 E. Clear Lake Ave.,
    Springfield, IL
    (217) 522-5220

Gabatoni's
    300 E. Laurel St.
    Springfield, IL
    (217) 528-9629

D'Arcy's Pint
    661 W. Stanford Ave.
    Springfield, IL 62704
    (217) 492-8800

Westwood Lodge Pub & Grill
    2406 W. Jefferson St.
    Springfield, IL
    (217) 698-9256

The Dr. Of BBQ
    2709 S. 6th St.
    Springfield, IL
    (217) 744-9999
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2013/10/21 14:30:03 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Of course, if you don't mind eating in your car or hotel room, you can always get a real meal from The Dr. himself.  He's open until 8:00pm and serves the best dang 'Que in town.  Heck, introduce yourself, drop my name, and he might even let you eat, standing up of course, right there in his immaculately kept trailer!  You wouldn't be the first Roadfooder welcomed into the Doc's smoky world. I know ChiTownDiner has been a guest, and several others, if I'm not mistaken.
    Never heard of the guy.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass them along; the Chesapeake Seafood House looks interesting and might wind up being the best choice in terms of both location and time.  Or dumpster-diving at Jack's.

The last time we ate in Springfield we went, on Jack's recommendation, to Top Cat's and had a pretty good thin pizza.  It's not too far west of Dirksen on Stevenson so it's an option as well.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/10/21 15:08:31
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2013/10/21 18:54:33 (permalink)
    Top Cat's is another Springfield favorite.  You need be specific, when ordering, to ask the kitchen not to cut off your pizza's outer edge.

Apparently, the mothers of Springfield used to cut the crusts off their children's PB&J sandwiches, creating entire generations of adults who can't stand to have a crust on anything.  More's the pity, because Top Cat's outer edge is Pizza Nirvana.  Ah, to live in ignorance.

The Dr. Of BBQ, of course, is one of the Enlightened Ones.  He knows a good thing when his teeth crunch into it, and he's the one who clued me into the absent crust issue.

The only reason I didn't include Top Cat's was because of your "B-N" reference.  I wasn't sure if you'd be traveling with any underage baggage, and didn't want the poor young innocent child exposed to the unsavory influences of a Springfield bar.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2013/10/21 22:11:30 (permalink)
    Oh, they're quite familiar with bars that do double duty as restaurants.  In fact, they were with us when we ate at Top Cat's back in '08 and now that you mention it I think the Dr. gave us that tip about the crust as well.

Besides, around here taking your kids into bars is considered a sign of good parenting.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:In Springfield, IL area 2013/10/21 22:28:13 (permalink)
    Especially if you teach them how to properly hold a pool cue.

Buddy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1