In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 16:00:15 (permalink)
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 16:19:16 (permalink)
Though I love these deals, and fast service... We had a local chain that just went under... Red Lion was best known for their Sassy Sphagetti and their awesome Red Hots (loaded chili dogs). On the final day of operation the owner did several interviews with local TV and paper. Here's his quote from the paper: "Support the local independent restaurant or you won't have any choices anymore". quoted from Matthew Koukios.
If anyone wants a copy of the article, feel free to email me...
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 16:47:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

Though I love these deals, and fast service... We had a local chain that just went under... Red Lion was best known for their Sassy Sphagetti and their awesome Red Hots (loaded chili dogs). On the final day of operation the owner did several interviews with local TV and paper. Here's his quote from the paper: "Support the local independent restaurant or you won't have any choices anymore". quoted from Matthew Koukios.
If anyone wants a copy of the article, feel free to email me...

We have 3 up-scale local restaurants, 3 chinese, 4 local pizza
places, one barb-que, one carry-out fish, and 8 Mom and Pop's.

only 2 of the 8 Mom and Pop's are open for dinner. So if You're in a hurry it's gotta be fast food chain. Pizza, fish, chinese, and up scale are not Fast. The 2 Mom and Pop's are too busy to be fast, they are busy because of being the only 2 open!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 17:57:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

"Support the local independent restaurant or you won't have any choices anymore"

Well, my response is that local independent restaurants that offer choices people want will be supported. I eat an occasional McD's double cheeseburger because it's small (takes the edge off my hunger without filling me up), cheap and I can get one fast. I don't know of anything available from a local independent restaurant in my area that meets those three criteria. If I did, I would go there. Closest I can come is a couple of potstickers from a Chinese place. They run about $.60 each and 4 or 5 of them does about the same thing for my apetite as a McD double cheese--at 2.5 to 3 times the price. Another alternative is a Chinese pork bun, but I'm having trouble finding them lately. And a banh mi sandwich or a decent taco at about $2 to $2.50 is more food for more money.

Truth is, I also eat all the alternative stuff mentioned and a lot more from local places. I probably patronize local places 3 times more than chains. But sometimes chains offer what I want and local places don't and then I go to a chain without any guilt at all.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 18:33:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

A couple double cheese can fill the spot when the day has been rushed and your not feeling particular, just hungry. Around here wednesday is .49c cheeseburger day at MickyD at least once a month I buy a couple bucks worth, eat a few and freeze the rest, a couple seconds in the nuker and you have a quick tween meals snack or a treat for visiting granpuppies..
[|)]For years, at our town's 4 McDonalds, Tuesday after 4:00 PM till closing was Hamburger Night at 39 cents each. People bought them by the bag, it was the one night everyone could afford to eat out. People drove in from the adjacent Mickey D-less county to buy dozens. Hamburger Night ended here quietly a few years ago.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 18:55:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

If I was going to eat a fast food burger, id go with Rally's, Hardees, white castle, or Wendys.
[/quot/]

When it comes to fast food hamburgers, noneof then is woth more than a dollar or a $1.50! Most of the places, that You mentioned don't have a good burger for a $1.00 to $1.50 except Rally's! I like the $1.00 double cheeseburger at Mc D's because it is only a $1.00!!!!

Rally's Big Buford, 2 for 3 dollars is good, they do that at all the Wayne County rallys a lot.
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 19:06:05 (permalink)
WHat I am reading in most of these posts is that it is not about good food but about being cheap and fast
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 19:10:35 (permalink)
Everyone I know LOVES McDonalds, thats the only place they will eat at. Heck, you cant change them, they city folk, they will never know about good food.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 19:57:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

WHat I am reading in most of these posts is that it is not about good food but about being cheap and fast

Then you missed where I started this thread--I LIKE THEM (the taste, that is). Wouldn't eat 'em otherwise. Enjoying eating them should be a given. But in choosing among the options I like, cheap and fast sometimes (not always) can be the deciding factors.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/16 19:59:42 (permalink)
Let me say this, If I didnt have much money, and I was low on gas, Im not going to drive 10-20 miles out of the way just for food.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/17 19:33:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

After paying almost $50.00 for a couple of burgers, some chili-cheese fries, and a couple of beers; AND also having to pay $4.50 for parking in downtown Atlanta while visiting said establishment one day this past week; AND having to wait 45 minutes for the same to arrive; I longed for some cheap and fast food...
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/17 19:35:14 (permalink)
I like the ocasional Big Buford, or white castle crave case.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4726
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 12:54:07 (permalink)
My mentally retarded, developmentally disabled clients want to eat out but have little money. The local McDonald"s offers a small drink and two burgers for $!.98. It is not road food but it does give pleasure.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 13:23:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

I just can't eat that type of food anymore. I feel physically lousy afterwards. It seems that way with chain restaurant hamburgers. Maybe it's psychological, but after eating a hamburger from a regular restaurant, I don't usually feel ill at all. The last time I ate at McDonalds must have been at least 6 or 7 years ago. None of their food is any good, at least to me. But I can understand if you don't have any money, or time, which is something Americans seem to lack in increasing numbers nowadays, that you would be drawn to this burger.

It might not be psychological, You may be allergic to something that Mc D'd, puts in the Hamburger!

Your reply is totally out-of-order. McDonald's may be a FFR, but they DO not put any additives in their ground beef. Neither does Wendy's. Other NATIONAL chains? Be wary.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 14:15:35 (permalink)
Well, Adjudicator, maybe you can tell me what my problem is.

I used to enjoy a Big Mac or a McRib occasionally (especially the McRib), but starting about 5 years ago, whenever I eat at a McDonald's I get severe diarrhea within 24 hours. I thought at first that this was due to lack of cleanliness at the local outlet that I normally went to, but on a trip to a neighboring state, I tried one with the same results. So after several attempts, I have given up and just avoid McDonald's completely, even though there is one just 4 blocks from my home that I could even walk to. I am still able to eat at Taco Bell or Long John Silver's or Arby's or KFC with no problems at all. The only thing I can think of is that possibly McDonald's is using Olestra in some way, which I understand can cause diarrhea in some people. (I have never tried the Olestra-cooked potato chips for this reason.)

Well Doctor, what is your diagnosis?
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 20:51:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

I used to enjoy a Big Mac or a McRib occasionally (especially the McRib), but starting about 5 years ago, whenever I eat at a McDonald's I get severe diarrhea within 24 hours. I thought at first that this was due to lack of cleanliness at the local outlet that I normally went to, but on a trip to a neighboring state, I tried one with the same results. So after several attempts, I have given up and just avoid McDonald's completely, even though there is one just 4 blocks from my home that I could even walk to. I am still able to eat at Taco Bell or Long John Silver's or Arby's or KFC with no problems at all. The only thing I can think of is that possibly McDonald's is using Olestra in some way, which I understand can cause diarrhea in some people. (I have never tried the Olestra-cooked potato chips for this reason.)

Olestra gives me Diarreah.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 21:21:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 6star

When I go to McDee's OR any other FFR, I ask for my food to be freshly prepared. Examples could be DCB @ McDonald's; no mustard, double onions (you can get mustard packets to add, etc.) How about a large order of fries; NO salt...

Et. Al.

To state again:

Your reply is totally out-of-order. McDonald's may be a FFR, but they DO not put any additives in their ground beef. Neither does Wendy's. Other NATIONAL chains? Be wary.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 21:52:19 (permalink)
You mean that rumor a few years ago that McD's was adding worms to their hamburger was just a rumor?
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 22:00:15 (permalink)
McD's cooks their fries in the same oil that they cook chicken mcnugetts in, ive heard.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 22:34:51 (permalink)
I think the $1 McChicken thing has not been given enough attention. The McChicken thing must be healthier than a double cheeseburger....
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/18 23:15:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

You mean that rumor a few years ago that McD's was adding worms to their hamburger was just a rumor?

I always thought that rumor, along with the late '70s about kangaroo meat, was completely retarded, for reasons a moment's thought would make clear. Ground beef is cheap. Ground worms or ground kangaroo, even if you could find such things, wouldn't be. Why would they "keep the prices down" by adding in a product that would be far more expensive than their regular product?
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 00:39:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

I think the $1 McChicken thing has not been given enough attention. The McChicken thing must be healthier than a double cheeseburger....

Well, according to the McD's site, the Double Cheeseburger has 460 calories, the McChicken has 430; burger has 23 gm of fat (11 saturated), McChicken has 22 gm (4.5 saturated); burger has 80 mg of cholesterol, McChicken has 45 mg, burger has 1140 mg of sodium, McChicken has 760 mg. So I supposed you'd have to say the McChicken was healthier, but I don't like it as much. And I wouldn't eat either one every day.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 06:34:44 (permalink)
Makes me want to rush right out and buy a handful.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 11:46:56 (permalink)
quote:

" />
Surprise! While their Double Cheeseburger has 460 calories and 23 fat grams, the McChicken clocks in at 430 calories, but with a whopping 34 fat grams - chicken and seafood are great nutritional choices when grilled, but if they are deep fried, they often contain as much, or even more fat than beef after preparation.

McDonald's nutritional charts used to be linked to their homepage, which is now devoted to Ronald McDonald and philanthropic works, testimony/propaganda about McD's committment to nutrition, etc. I had to google "McDonald's, nutritional value" to get the numbers.

Although not a plug or slam against either chain, I compared the nutritional charts of Wendy's, BK, and McD's to find a fast food sandwich I enjoyed and was still close to healthy (low cal, low fat were the criteria), Wendy's Ultimate Chicken Grill came out pretty far ahead of the pack. If you have to eat fast, you can still have choices.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 11:58:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

quote:

" />
Surprise! While their Double Cheeseburger has 460 calories and 23 fat grams, the McChicken clocks in at 430 calories, but with a whopping 34 fat grams - chicken and seafood are great nutritional choices when grilled, but if they are deep fried, they often contain as much, or even more fat than beef after preparation.

McDonald's nutritional charts used to be linked to their homepage, which is now devoted to Ronald McDonald and philanthropic works, testimony/propaganda about McD's committment to nutrition, etc. I had to google "McDonald's, nutritional value" to get the numbers.

Although not a plug or slam against either chain, I compared the nutritional charts of Wendy's, BK, and McD's to find a fast food sandwich I enjoyed and was still close to healthy (low cal, low fat were the criteria), Wendy's Ultimate Chicken Grill came out pretty far ahead of the pack. If you have to eat fast, you can still have choices.
Oops, I read wrong, McChicken has 22 total grams of fat, not 34; Wendy's UCG is still bigger, tastier, and with fewer calories and far fewer fat grams -only 360 calories with only 7 fat grams.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 12:12:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

I always thought that rumor, along with the late '70s about kangaroo meat, was completely retarded, for reasons a moment's thought would make clear. Ground beef is cheap. Ground worms or ground kangaroo, even if you could find such things, wouldn't be. Why would they "keep the prices down" by adding in a product that would be far more expensive than their regular product?

Actually, earthworms are fairly cheap by the pound, we have carloads of Cambodians drive down from Columbus to the river bottoms here every morning, digging them to sell to area bait stores. They get paid a lot less than the bait stores who sell night crawlers by the dozen to fishermen. I always assumed the McD's worm/beef thing was an urban legend.

I have lived on a working cattle farm for the past 30 years and have heard from a number of people in different industries that the majority of McD's ground beef comes from Central America, often Honduras. Because of federal USDA regs, beef cannot come south of the Panama Canal due to possibility of transmission of hoof and mouth disease, otherwise cheap Argentine beef would be used. Using Central American beef allows McD's to proclaim they use "100% American beef".

Fact or another urban legend? Maybe the guys in the Wendy's corporate office plant these rumors and roll on the floor laughing once they spread...
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 12:19:00 (permalink)
Hardees and Rally's make better FF Burgers, if I wanted FF id still go there.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18342
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 17:07:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in Ohio

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:

Actually, earthworms are fairly cheap by the pound, we have carloads of Cambodians drive down from Columbus to the river bottoms here every morning, digging them to sell to area bait stores. They get paid a lot less than the bait stores who sell night crawlers by the dozen to fishermen.

I'm guessing that those Cambodians drive down your way because your local law enforcement officials are not arresting them for trespassing and theft. They used to do it on Big Darby, Little Darby, Big Walnut, Little Walnut, Rocky Fork, and Alum creeks, and on the Olentangy and Scioto rivers. The Cambodians, it seems, are unfamiliar with something called private property, and used to cross anyone's land -- even entering homes while passing through and taking things that looked good to them.
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 430
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 17:47:15 (permalink)
Since the dreaded "food police" made Mickey D's change the type of fat they used for their french fires many years ago, the $ 1 double cheeseburger is the only thing they offer that is worth the price.

The Chicken nuggets were decent at one time, but one of my grown kids got sick as hell after eating them a few years ago, so lights out for them.

Wally
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: In praise of the McDonalds $1 double cheeseburger 2005/06/19 19:46:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I'm guessing that those Cambodians drive down your way because your local law enforcement officials are not arresting them for trespassing and theft. They used to do it on Big Darby, Little Darby, Big Walnut, Little Walnut, Rocky Fork, and Alum creeks, and on the Olentangy and Scioto rivers. The Cambodians, it seems, are unfamiliar with something called private property, and used to cross anyone's land -- even entering homes while passing through and taking things that looked good to them.

Hmmm. Sounds like the problem we have down my way in southern AZ with "undocumented migrants" (that's the PC term and I wouldn't care to offend anyone). 'course we're trying to make them into good Americans so we can't ask the law enforcement types to bust 'em for criminal trespass as well as crossing the border illegally on their first day here.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1