In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding

Author
chinesegirl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
2003/12/15 16:56:33 (permalink)

In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding

It's not a fancy dessert, but it always makes me smile. My latest find it's from my Thanksgiving trip to Negril, Jamaica. Chef Edmund from The Caves resort makes a killer banana pudding, (do you think it's the Jamaican Rum that makes the difference?
Emeril's Nola also has a good one. I just move to Pittsburgh, anyone know where I can find a good banana cream pie here?

14 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/15 23:24:00 (permalink)
    Chinesegirl,
    Honey, bananas won't grow that far North. You might be better off looking for something that is more area-indigenous, like really good homemade rhubarb pie or even homemade pirogen.
    Let us know if you uncover any edible banana anything in Pittsburgh. That's the last thing I would think of finding on a menu thereabouts.
    Undisappointingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA.
    P. S. The Normaltown Cafe' has banana pudding once or twice a week. I have to minimize my sugar intake, but I can eat theirs... oh,mercy, is it good... especially with a garnish of fresh lemon... seriously! When I lose fifteen more pounds, I will have a bowl of it!
    P. P. S. Some of you Keystone Staters - somebody send this poor girl somewhere before she goes into banana withdrawal!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/16 04:35:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Chinesegirl,
    Honey, bananas won't grow that far North. You might be better off looking for something that is more area-indigenous, like really good homemade rhubarb pie or even homemade pirogen.
    Let us know if you uncover any edible banana anything in Pittsburgh. That's the last thing I would think of finding on a menu thereabouts.
    P. S. The Normaltown Cafe' has banana pudding once or twice a week. I have to minimize my sugar intake, but I can eat theirs... oh,mercy, is it good... especially with a garnish of fresh lemon... seriously! When I lose fifteen more pounds, I will have a bowl of it!
    P. P. S. Some of you Keystone Staters - somebody send this poor girl somewhere before she goes into banana withdrawal!

Ort. Dreamland in Tuscaloosa only offers one thing for dessert: Banana pudding. The Keystone State can forget about it unless they just happen to be visiting Georgia or Alabama. (I know, I'm a former Pennsylvanianne)
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/16 07:47:46 (permalink)
    Go to a Southern Culture on the Skids show, and wear something that goes well with banana pudding!
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/16 09:03:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vince Macek

Go to a Southern Culture on the Skids show, and wear something that goes well with banana pudding!

Exactly, VM. Here's the link to SCOTS' great recipe web page:http://66.70.157.23/index2.htm

Everybody sing it:

"What goes good with my meat and three?
    A little pinch of puddin' and some sweet tea."

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/16 09:15:32 (permalink)
    I am currently using Paula Deen's recipe for banana pudding. Here is the link to the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21275,00.html

John
    chinesegirl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/16 14:43:26 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the recipe. With my Jamaican Rum, and "organic" bananas from Whole Food, I will make my first banana pudding for Christmas. Wish me luck!

ps. did I mention, I just got married, and my Mom said, "girl, with all those fancy kitchen stuffs you get from your wedding, you are on your own this Christmas !!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/16 17:14:40 (permalink)
    Chinesegirl,
    First of all welcome to Pittsburgh! It is nice to hear about someone actually moving here instead of moving away. I can't believe you asked THIS particular question, considering finding a truly great banana cream pie has been a mild obsession of mine (don't ask, long story) for years. The best I have had in a restaurant around here is at Piccolo, Piccolo an upscale (at least on Pittsburgh standards) Italian restaurant downtown. One warning though, they do not make it there and they don't always have it. If you are going, I would suggest calling ahead to see if they have it that night. Another place that has well above average BCP is Gullifty's in Squirrel Hill, which year after year wins best desserts in Pittsburgh. They also have another banana dessert called a chocolate gorilla that I enjoy. Please let me know what you think if you try these and if you find anything interesting for me to try.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/21 02:31:24 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to take the hard line here, but CHESS cookies??? It is simply not proper banana pudding without "Nilla Wafers"! Use some evaporated milk in place of the regular milk.

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/nilla/ni_recipe.htm
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/21 10:12:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

I'm sorry to take the hard line here, but CHESS cookies??? It is simply not proper banana pudding without "Nilla Wafers"! Use some evaporated milk in place of the regular milk.

Well Elise, to each their own. I think the chessman cookies in the recipe are more so for presentation than anything else. But it is not a bad recipe. I have made it several times for friends and everyone has been quite happy with it.

John
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2003/12/21 14:32:18 (permalink)
    Well, I might eat it, but I would talk about it all the way home
    rykait2331
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2004/02/11 21:00:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Chinesegirl,
    Try traveling outside the state of Georgia. Even in the northern states we have access to bananas. Believe it or not, they taste great too. I am sure there is a great banana cream pie recipe out there for you . . .yes, even in Pennsylvania.
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2004/09/23 13:54:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by EliseT

Well Elise, to each their own. I think the chessman cookies in the recipe are more so for presentation than anything else. But it is not a bad recipe. I have made it several times for friends and everyone has been quite happy with it.

John

i too have had rave reveiws when serving this recipe...and the chessman cookies are delish!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2004/12/12 08:14:04 (permalink)
    For EliseT and anyone else in SoCal, the home made banana pudding from Burrells BBQ Pit in Santa Ana is about as good as I've ever had, and I was raised surrounded by Deep Southeners. It passes my first test for banana pudding: it ain't yellow!
    mmh337
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: In search for Banana Cream Pie/pudding 2006/04/05 14:06:03 (permalink)
    hmm.. I'm not familiar with pittsburgh, but if you're ever in NYC, Sweet Sugar Sunshine has the BEST banana pudding (and cupcakes too).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1