In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
2008/01/07 14:42:55 (permalink)

In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada...

I'm born and raised in Dallas. When I was a kid I mowed lawns for a living. I would take some of my money, walk to the nearby El Chico, and order 2 plates of cheese enchiladas. They came 3 to a plate. I was in kid heaven!

Later I worked for El Chico. One of my jobs wat to roll 500 cheese enchiladas for the days service, just cheese and onion, rolled in a corn tortilla. When I finishes I would put 12 of those delicious babys on a plate ( they barley fit ) and cover w/ chili. That was lunch! It was free!!!

Up untill the late 80s El Chico still made the same great cheese enchilada. Then something changed. It was the kind of cheese they used. I am kiking my self for not remembering the brand they used.

El Fenix still makes a good enchilada and I can tell no difference from when I was a kid. I always liked El Chico just a bit better though. Both places still make a good chili to go over them.

Who do you know who makes a great Tex Mex cheese enchilada? And does anyone happen to know the brand of cheese El Chico used to use?
Joe

31 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 15:02:20 (permalink)
    Never been there, but they probably switched from fresh to processed to save on costs..
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 15:09:30 (permalink)
    They switched something. Anyone still work for El Chico?

Oh, the origional El Fenix on Field St. in Dallas makes the best I can still find.
    Joe
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 15:12:06 (permalink)
    Being in the business, I know what havoc food prices are causing for restaurants and caterers. BUT...one of my favorite Mexican places has stopped using queso fresco, chihuahua, anejo, etc, replacing it with pre-shredded yellow cheese from a bag.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 15:21:30 (permalink)
    Zat, what a shame! I would raise the prices and take my chances... and bet on quality.
    Joe
    Big_g
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 363
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 15:40:01 (permalink)
    Amen to that Joe. Quality usually brings them back!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 15:43:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Big g! Now if only the folks who make those decisions will listen.
    Joe
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 16:15:21 (permalink)
    It dosen't solve my problem but there is a great article about tex mex titled "the ultimate guide to tex-mex in dallas" from the D Magazine folks. Sorry I couldn't do a link but anyone interested can google it. It talks about El Fenix and El Chico and how they, and tex mex, started.
    Joe
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 16:31:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

They switched something. Anyone still work for El Chico?

Oh, the origional El Fenix on Field St. in Dallas makes the best I can still find.
    Joe

When I lived in Dallas I really enjoyed the beef enchiladas (with beans and rice) from El Fenix... what a meal!!!... I really miss them and all the Tex-Mex places... I miss Gloria's also... but what I really miss are the sour cream chicken enchiladas and sour cream chicken nachos from Guadalajara's (sp?)... they were simply the best... can't find anything like them now and can't replicate the recipes... ever been there, Joe???... they were located in a real hole-in-the-wall in the early eighties and later moved down the street to larger digs... Hall Street?... it's been a long time... thaks for the memories (and the hunger pangs)...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 16:32:12 (permalink)
    I agree. Raise the price if need be, but keep the quality.. It's a crying shame when it goes the other way around.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 16:40:54 (permalink)
    Kiowa, I have gone to Gloria's but can't remember any details. Tooo much wisky maybe? I musta missed the chicken enchiladas. I love those when they are made right! I will see if Gloria's is still around, and go on you behalf if they are. And, you bring up a good point about Tex mex, go for the stuff each place makes like you like it. No one place has the best of everything.

Oh, well said Vick!
    Joe
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 16:50:31 (permalink)
    Yep, Gloria's is going strong, 10 locations now. The one on Greenville Ave. has a salsa band on thursdays. I now live about 40 miles from Dallas but that will be at the top of my next trip to Dallas list. Salsa music, good chicken enchiladas, and a margarita, just dosen't get much better than that!
    Joe

Oh, It's Guadalajaras that has the chicken enchiladas. I'm still goint Gloria's first. The have a pork tenderloin and chicken enchilada combo that sounds geat!
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 16:50:53 (permalink)
    quote:

Kiowa, I have gone to Gloria's but can't remember any details. Tooo much wisky maybe? I musta missed the chicken enchiladas. I love those when they are made right! I will see if Gloria's is still around, and go on you behalf if they are. And, you bring up a good point about Tex mex, go for the stuff each place makes like you like it. No one place has the best of everything.

Oh, well said Vick!
    Joe

Hey Joe... I guess you misread my rambling message... the chicken nachos and enchiladas were from Guadalajara's... on Hall Street I think...

I remember Gloria's for their black bean dip among other things...

another thing... have you ever been to Adair's Saloon (Commerce Street)... I used to work there long ago and at their previous location before that... great burgers and juke box... Oh, and Baker's Ribs... and Keller's Hamburgers... and the friutcakes from Corsicana Bakery... not to mention the State Fair of Texas (best in the USA) and the Kolace Festival in West, Texas. etc... Man, I love to eat and I MISS Dallas...

PS. and Pedro's Tamales...
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/07 17:04:41 (permalink)
    Right Kiowa, I cought it first and edited my post. I'll put them on my list.

Gloria's has 3 kinds of chicken enchiladas, sour cream, tomatillo, and a red sauce version, hmmm?

Keller's burgers, I made a post about that earlier today at the best burger thread.
    Joe

Oh, Adairs, on Gerreville maybe, where you worked? Also great burgers if my memory is right.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/08 00:36:45 (permalink)
    Well, I have certainly been all over this subject, and it is gratifying to see a post from a Dallasite, a rare thing.
    Glorias and Guadalajara were places I went in the 1970s, after regular hours were done for Ojeda's and Herrera's. I think Guadalajara was open until 2AM.
    I'm really surprised that you don't even mention Ojeda's. For me, that is heads and shoulders above the others. Try the #5. Fantastic beef taco, classic soft cheese taco, and fabulous beef enchilada. All twice as good as El Fenix, and all the rest. Great margaritas. Beautiful, delicate chips. Perfect HOT salsa. Insanely fast service. It's ALL good. Beats the hell out of Herrera's.
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/08 08:00:22 (permalink)
    quote:

It dosen't solve my problem but there is a great article about tex mex titled "the ultimate guide to tex-mex in dallas" from the D Magazine folks. Sorry I couldn't do a link but anyone interested can google it. It talks about El Fenix and El Chico and how they, and tex mex, started.
    Joe

Interesting article. Here is a link:

http://www.dmagazine.com/ME2/Sites/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=MultiPublishing&mod=PublishingTitles&mid=7155F7796F354F21B1183937D847D6DF&tier=4&id=789551A0DF314360ABA4680A61BB1EBD&SiteID=3DC4CEE3724A4A63806953ABFF65A4F6
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/08 10:14:02 (permalink)
    Ahh, thanks for the link Don! Yes, worth reading for anyone interested in Tex-mex.

Salin, there are a few Dallas folks here. And, yep Ojeda's is real good.
    Joe
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/08 11:00:03 (permalink)
    Ojeda's, oh yeah. Lived, apartment, a short block from the original location in the early 70's,BW(before wife). At least 4 meals a week with mama Ojeda.
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/08 15:33:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salindgren

Well, I have certainly been all over this subject, and it is gratifying to see a post from a Dallasite, a rare thing.
    Glorias and Guadalajara were places I went in the 1970s, after regular hours were done for Ojeda's and Herrera's. I think Guadalajara was open until 2AM.
    I'm really surprised that you don't even mention Ojeda's. For me, that is heads and shoulders above the others. Try the #5. Fantastic beef taco, classic soft cheese taco, and fabulous beef enchilada. All twice as good as El Fenix, and all the rest. Great margaritas. Beautiful, delicate chips. Perfect HOT salsa. Insanely fast service. It's ALL good. Beats the hell out of Herrera's.
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

Yeah, I had forgotten about Ojedas... it was my first Tex-Mex experience... It was located on Cedar Springs a couple of blocks from the Original Adair's... Top notch Tex-Mex!!!...
    and Guadalajaras was open til 04:00 am... used to go there after Adair's closed at 02:00 am... I also remember having a meal there after 03:00 am one Christmas morning... Ahhhh, the memories... now I'm in cheese steak territory...
    rouxdog
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/08 18:21:44 (permalink)
    Kiowa, Ojedas and Adairs! What a single man's neighborhood and good life! Ojeda's, great Mex, Adairs, great burgers! I remember agitating Mom Adair by pretending to begin a dance with some lovely lady.
    NO DANCING was allowed? Mom would come running from behind the bar and griddle faster than a firefighter to a 5 alarm fire, yelling STOP IT!!! I loved and appreciated that lady. I think she liked me to, in a warped sort of way.
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/09 15:15:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

Kiowa, Ojedas and Adairs! What a single man's neighborhood and good life! Ojeda's, great Mex, Adairs, great burgers! I remember agitating Mom Adair by pretending to begin a dance with some lovely lady.
    NO DANCING was allowed? Mom would come running from behind the bar and griddle faster than a firefighter to a 5 alarm fire, yelling STOP IT!!! I loved and appreciated that lady. I think she liked me to, in a warped sort of way.

Alright Rouxdog... now you really have piqued my interest... What year are you talking about... I tended bar at the Cedar Springs location from late June 1980 till May of '81... after that I was the Janitor (after they closed)... had the place to myself... called it "My Place--After Hours" and all my friends were welcome... and if you mean Lois Adair, she's is still the owner (R.L passed away some years ago) and sends me a Birthday card every year... she's so cool... and I remember the rule "No Dancing"... they did not have a "Caberet License" so it was against the law to dance there and Lois was adamant in stopping it when it occurred... the current location (Commerce Street) does have the license and a sign that proclaims "You Daince with who Brung you or NO Damn Daincing"... (probably to keep folks like you from bothering the female patrons)...
    I used to eat at least one of their cheeseburgers everyday when I worked there...
    rouxdog
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/09 16:51:06 (permalink)
    Kiowa, small wonderful world.
    Adairs on Cedar Springs was a favorite, perhaps my most favorite, Ojedas in there as well. These folks fed me during my bachelor years, home away from home. I'm thinking the years must have been 72 and 73. Then the little woman(wife)took me off the circuit. As I recall, the Adairs lived south of Dallas in either Waxahachie or Ennis? Sad to hear of RL's passing, but thrilled to know Lois is still kicking butt. I'm thinking I might try to daince at the Commerce St. location just to enjoy Lois getting after me!
    Get this, our eldest son, 30, lived in an apartment above the Adairs current location on Commerce. Appears he's succumbing to the same disease his father became victim of, marriage.
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/09 17:07:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Adairs on Cedar Springs was a favorite, perhaps my most favorite, Ojedas in there as well. These folks fed me during my bachelor years, home away from home. I'm thinking the years must have been 72 and 73. Then the little woman(wife)took me off the circuit. As I recall, the Adairs lived south of Dallas in either Waxahachie or Ennis? Sad to hear of RL's passing, but thrilled to know Lois is still kicking butt. I'm thinking I might try to daince at the Commerce St. location just to enjoy Lois getting after me!
    Get this, our eldest son, 30, lived in an apartment above the Adairs current location on Commerce. Appears he's succumbing to the same disease his father became victim of, marriage.

Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/09 17:13:17 (permalink)
    quote:

Rouxdog: You know 72-73 was before my time in Dallas... RL's dad (SL) may have still been the owner/proprietor then... he was a feisty one as was his wife... it may have been her who chased you... Lois still lives in Palmer... near Waxahachie... it is a small world, indeed... thanks for the memories... (sorry for my previous post)
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/09 23:11:15 (permalink)
    Well, it's nice to see some response to mentions of the old days in Dallas. Okay, back in about 1975, I was introduced to both Ojeda's & Herrera's. At that time, Ojeda's ran two operations, a super funky one on Maple, maybe ten tables, flurescent lights, a dump. BUT... They also had a really nice op on Cedar Springs, remember? The old converted house? Painted yellow. That was a very pretty location. I don't know when they opened the current place on Maple, must be 15 years or so ago. But again, going back to the '70s, remember the original Herrera's? That tiny hole in the wall on the north side of Maple? I loved that location, and the food was better then, too. I don't like today's version.
    Say... Just for fun, has anyone been to that wacky buffet, what is it, Pancho's? lately? I think there is still one in Pleasant Grove. I'm stuck in LA, can't get over to Dallas very often.
    -Yours, Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
    rouxdog
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/10 01:04:38 (permalink)
    Kiowa1, great memories and fun times. Adairs and Ojeda's, TOP SHELF ROADFOOD!
    Now, help me out here. Short walk toward downtown on the corner of,I think,Cedar Springs and Oak
    Lawn was a quaint hotel,Montrose as I recall. Am I on the right page? I recall a bus parked in their lot from time to time and printed on each side was 'ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL', a band. At the time never heard of them. Today, that bunch ranks right up there with ZZ Top, you know, that little band from Texas. Well tonight, 40 years or so later Nancy and I are reminiscing about that Dallas neighborhood.Nancy's grandparents owned a Cafetiera on Oak Lawn. The family also owned the Highland Park Cafeteria. Thanks Kiowa.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/10 11:17:57 (permalink)
    This thread has brought the old time Dallas folks outa tha woodwork, neat!

Roux, HPC, what a great place that was.

My pet store, opened in 1969, was in Old Town, Lovers and Greenville Av., along with Mariono's, home of the 1st frozem Margarita. Mariano's dad worked at the El Chico in Lakewood, that I mentioned above, before Mariano opened his place.

About the cheese used for those El Chico enchiladas? Or... any geat enchiladas?
    Joe
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/12 23:53:04 (permalink)
    I think rouxdog is thinking of the Melrose Hotel. I've not stayed there, but I think it's probably a lot like the Stoneleigh over a few blocks away, on Maple I think. What I don't like about the Stoneleigh is a)price, b)no real air conditioning, and c)the "tropical" style doors that allow every sound from the hallway right into your your room. This is all pretty bad. However, they do have a very nice bar, and I like the pub across the street, the Stoneleigh P (which long ago was a pharmacy, thus the "P"). Back in the 1970's there was a radio station which broadcast from the top floor of the Stoneleigh Hotel.

What I like A LOT better is the Hotel Adolphus, downtown. When you can get a deal. The restaurant there is outstanding, and the rooms beat the hell out of the Stoneleigh.

When I can't afford the Adolphus, I just stay at the Holiday Inn Select. It's very nice, there are several in Dallas. Poured concrete building, dead quiet, even on Central Expressway, indoor heated pool, I have no complaints at all. Decent bar, with typical bar food, but hey, you get what you pay for. I sometimes really like room service breakfast, too. You pay a little extra for that, but it's a treat to eat in your PJs! And the coffee is better, too. Plus, you and your "friend" can crack open that nice little 1/2 bottle of champagne that's been chilling overnight in the ice bucket!

-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net 213 219 7160
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/01/13 10:26:28 (permalink)
    Oh, and the chili used on top at both El's is a real chili. No big chunks of meat but it's real chili. I's not a chili gravy. That's not the case everywhere. I am not a fan of that gravy!

The old time cheese was real stringy and had a great flavor. Many places now use some kind of tastless yellow stuff.
    Joe
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of a great Tex Mex cheese Enchilada... 2008/02/10 12:37:01 (permalink)
    New TV ad here for On The Border all you can eat enchiladas, $8.95. Anyone tried this yet? Or, any enchlada from On The Border???

From some talk on another enchilada thread, I have not found a frozen cheese enchilada I like. The cheese is just not right. Anyone want to enlighten me? I like frozen beef enchiladas though. Fix em up w/ extra cheese and jalapenos, and... not bad.

Oh, salin, there is and upscale Pancho's near Town East Mall in Dallas, real good food! And, there are some threads here about Pancho's. Green chili stew over rice is my fovorite dish there, but I have tried everything they make. Even the tacos were good, and a big change from tocos they once served, at Pancho's. The echiladas are my least favorite dish there. Oh, I start w/ the tacos, tostatas, and other crunchy stuff, and then go back for the main dishes. They don't encourage that but... they will let you. Otherwise the main dishes get cold.
    Joe
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1