In search of great a long gone Austin taco...

Author
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
2006/05/29 11:55:37 (permalink)

In search of great a long gone Austin taco...

It was back in the late 60s and I was a student at UT. There was a taco shack on, I think 1st and Congress. No place to sit, just food handed outa the window, then walk across the street, eat and watch the river roll by. They had a great taco on a flour tortilla, then refried beans, then meat, and onions and jalopenas if you wanted them. They had a flavor I have never had since. I have tried to recreate them with no success. The beans were homemade pintos, then mashed and refried. The secret is somewhere in the meat I think? Or was it the air coming off the river???

Ok, I know it was called the Tamale House, and that location closed down sometime in the 70s. Now there are several Tamale houses in Austin with different owners. My question is, do the owners of the place I mentioned still have a locations in Austin, and if so, do they still make a great meat and bean flour taco?
Joe

8 Replies Related Threads

beachykeen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/02 14:02:20 (permalink)
    I'm sorry. The only place that comes to mind is Rosie's Tamale house on Hwy. 71 near Lake Travis. Gosh, I miss Austin!!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/02 21:42:03 (permalink)
    There are two Tamale House places now in Austin, and boy do I always miss Austin also! When were you there Beach? I know one of them owned the river location. I am kinda suprised that someone here dosen't know the answer. I think they do but havn't read this yet.
    Joe
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/02 22:10:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

There are two Tamale House places now in Austin, and boy do I always miss Austin also! When were you there Beach? I know one of them owned the river location. I am kinda suprised that someone here dosen't know the answer. I think they do but havn't read this yet.
    Joe

Joe, this is the first time I've seen your post, or I would have responded.

I used to go to the Tamale House a lot in the early 80's. The tacos and tamales were excellent, and they had a fantastic salsa.

The land was bought out by the company who wanted to develop that site sometime in the mid 80's. I've been told that the owner of the Tamale House came out well financially. (Back when he opened the Tamale House, a business owner could actually own the land under the building.)

Around the same time, Matt Martinez sold his original site on 1st and relocated Matt's El Rancho on Lamar. I KNOW that Matt did well on the sale of his site (rumor has it he sold that small lot for $5 million). After he needed a walker to get around, he would be delivered each day to the door (he insisted on personally greeting people until he could no longer function) in a Mercedes.

The Tamale House on south Congress was owned by the same people who owned the one on 1st and Congress, and I think the one on Guadalupe was also. I went to the south Congress location many times after the original one closed. They may have had other locations that I don't know about.

I honestly don't know the status of those places today.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/02 22:52:41 (permalink)
    Bushie, great info! Thanks!!!

I have many fond memories of eating at Matt's. The one I ate at was rite near I-35, probably was the 1st street location. That was in the 60s/70s.

Now if I can just nail that recipe for those soft flour Tacos. I will post it here if I do. Good excuse for a trip down to Austin.
    Joe
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/03 10:15:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I have many fond memories of eating at Matt's. The one I ate at was rite near I-35, probably was the 1st street location. That was in the 60s/70s.

Yep. That was it. The food is still excellent today down on Lamar.

If you do make that trip to Austin, be sure and look me up!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/03 12:38:12 (permalink)
    Thanks again Bushie! I will for sure let you know when I head twords Austin. Maybe this fall I hope.
    Joe

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/18 18:29:34 (permalink)
    The one on 1st was "The Tamale House". I read where the son of the origional owners runs them now. I saw there was a location on Airport. Bushie, is the one on Lamar the same owner?

Could adobo be the seasoning I am missing in trying to recreat those tacoes?

Oh, my first pet shop, back in the 60s, was on Lamar across from the state hospital. A bit off subject but... brought back memories.
    Joe
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: In search of great a long gone Austin taco... 2006/07/18 19:30:59 (permalink)
    I had dinner at Matt's El Rancho last month when I was in Austin.
    Didn't eat the tamales but everything we ate was great!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1