In-Flight Catering

Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7051
2005/04/12 00:48:10 (permalink)

In-Flight Catering

Expand your restaurant/cooking facility if you are next to an airport! I currently do only "fine-dining style" in-flight food. These are corporate jets that need to stop in Anchorage for fuel and food. I work with Era Aviation and Signature Flight Support (Signature is national). Good Lord, the folks at Nike, GE, General Motors and so on do NOT care how much you charge for an omelette, a chicken caesar salad or a pasta entree! I do up to 10 flights a day. The catering division makes more money than the dining room.

10 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/12 12:01:09 (permalink)
    Stick it to 'em Lisalee!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, John
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/12 21:52:35 (permalink)
    Thank you John. Here's a good example: a portion of lasagne costs me 1.89 and I sell that portion for $22.00. Ha! That's not even a 1% food cost! And the beauty of it is this........these corporations DO NOT CARE how much they spend on food. I had a plane come through, 20 passengers, the food bill was $13,000. Yep.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/12 22:15:45 (permalink)
    Lisalee: Youv'e hit the Klondike motherlode!!!!!!

Cheers, John
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/12 22:43:26 (permalink)
    Well, I haven't hit the Motherlode yet but it sure is a lot more fun than dealing with line cooks, wait staff and bartenders! You work at your own pace.......sometimes it's furious and other times it's not. It's Zero to One Hundred as soon as the fax machine starts spitting out orders for flights. But it surely is lucrative. Oh yeah.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/13 15:21:07 (permalink)
    Now THAT sounds like a plan. Our kitchens are within easy drives (>1/2 hr) of both Westchester and Laguardia Airports, and, although I've never clocked it, probably less to Teterboro, which hosts many corporate jets.

How did you go about it? did you go through the airport? through the corporations directly? Our kitchen is licenced and insured, but we don't have anything to do with HAACP standards. Will this make a difference?

We do very high-end catering in the NYC metro area, and this sounds as though it would be right up our alley.

Thanks very much!

Bill
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/13 15:45:30 (permalink)
    Scallion1, here's how we do it. All east-west or west-east corporate jets have to refuel in Anchorage. They also need food. They do not fuel up at our international airport facilities, they fuel at Era Aviation or Signature Flight Support. Sometimes the flight attendents call Era or Signature for food and they fax us the order. Sometimes the flight attendents fax us directly. Sometimes the pilots come over and give us the order. Be ready to cook omelettes at 4AM when some ditzy flight attendent calls your cell phone and says she needs meals in an hour! (I usually charge them more for the 4AM thing.......I call it "The Aggrivation Factor"). Have a grocery store nearby because they will ask for pints of 1/2 & 1/2, whole milk, skim milk, 2 % milk, OJ, grapefruit juice, granola.......and a bunch of other things you could not imagine. We charge....they pay and don't bat an eyelash. It's corporate America. Check out our in-flight catering menu just to give you an idea at
    www.kincaidgrill.com
    We are licenced and insured but are not certified HAACP. For private, in-flight catering it's not necessary. And the REAL beauty is that I'm located 1/2 mile from the drop off points!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/13 16:09:20 (permalink)
    I will guarantee that Lleechef knows this business. I think she is getting her doctorate degree in inflight catering. It appears to me that she is about ready to break out and offer her own business skills. She understands the cost factor and how to negotiate. In my opinion, she has a fine career and also one of the best. Also, she is a great chef

In addition, she happens to be located in a neat area where there is not a lot of choices. Location, location and skill

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/13 16:25:57 (permalink)
    Thank you Sundancer for the compliment. The transition from exec. chef to in-flight catering chef was a little strange. At the restaurant we cook food to be served up promptly. For catering, we have to under-cook the food, cool it, then package it in oven tins or micros. Everything has to be labelled (your Sharpie is your best friend).
    Now it's location, location and FISHING!! YAHOO! Skiis are put away for the year and fishing rods are coming out!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2005/04/13 16:43:05 (permalink)
    Lleechef, how about some halibut sent down this way undercooked and ready for the grill since you put away the ski's and oiled up the rod and reel

I for one appreciate your talents for being a real chef and your business sense. Cooking is one thing and marketing is another. Marketing is everything and you know how to market.

Please assist "The mayor" in catching the huge load of halibut. Perhaps he will have so much that he will share.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    xannie_01
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: In-Flight Catering 2006/07/22 14:27:50 (permalink)
    wow! congratulations, leechef! what you're doing is truly impressive.
    rake in that money, gal!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1