Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA

Author
Aimeeday1972
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/07/11 01:30:43 (permalink)

Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA

A few years ago, I moved from Seattle to Ferndale, WA, a small town a couple miles south of the Canadian border along the I-5 corridor. For such a tiny place, there are a surprising number of great places to eat - amazingly good Indian and Thai food, for example (don't bother with the Mexican - alas). My favorite breakfast spot is Cedars, an old school diner on Main Street. Red leatherette booths, a long counter with swivelly stools, dark wood panelling, a constant klatch of elderly regulars, and a rotating pie case filled with pies from locally owned one-woman operation Barbie's Pastries. Rhubarb, strawberry, lemon meringue, you name it, it's good. But I'm not writing about Cedar's because of the pie. I'm writing about the Corned Beef Hash.

How long has it been since you ordered corned beef hash and got the real thing - not out of a can, heaven forbid - but real, tender diced chunks of corned beef, onions and potatoes, crispy and browned on the edges, soft and meltingly tender within? You can't remember, can you? Now imagine a large oval plater loaded up with a very generous portion of this heavenly melange, a little bit spicy, fatty and meaty and salty, topped with a couple of eggs as-you-like-'em (over easy, of course) and accompanied by some dark rye toast and fresh hot coffee. Oh my. It's eleven o'clock at night and I can't wait for morning so I can go get some. 

I honestly haven't experienced Corned Beef Hash this good in many years. There was this one diner somewhere in northern California, in about 1996... but no, this is even better. Try it if you are within fifty miles. 

6 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7959
    Re:Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA 2011/07/11 10:39:49 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood.  What other fantastic breakfast places are in your area?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    Re:Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA 2011/07/11 12:36:38 (permalink)
    Whadaya mean by over-easy, of course? Poached! Poached! Poached!

Welcome to Roadfood Aimeeday1972. I love your area.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA 2011/07/11 13:07:14 (permalink)
    Sounds great!  I don't believe that I've ever had corned beef hash in a restaurant that was not from a can. 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6283
    Re:Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA 2011/07/11 13:22:26 (permalink)
    Homemade hash....way to turn back the clock!!!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    Re:Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA 2011/07/11 13:34:55 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Sounds great!  I don't believe that I've ever had corned beef hash in a restaurant that was not from a can. 

Get thee to McBob's in Milwaukee.  If homemade corned beef is what you seek, you'd consider moving to Milwaukee after eating here.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:Incredible Corned Beef Hash in NW WA 2011/07/12 04:30:06 (permalink)
    For those of you who can't get "Made from Scratch" CB Hash, here's an easy recipe you can make at home:
    Corned Beef Hash
    This is a forgiving recipe. Feel free to add chopped peppers, chopped leftover cabbage or parsnips or, to make it red flannel hash, chopped beets.
    Servings: 4
    Ingredients:
    5 tablespoons butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    2-1/2 cups chopped cooked corned beef (not too lean)
    3 cups chopped cooked Yukon gold potatoes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Directions:
    Melt about half the butter in a large cast iron skillet. Cook the onions until they are soft and translucent. Add the corned beef and potatoes. Shuffle everything around in the pan 2-3 minutes but then use a spatula to gather it all together in a single, flat pancake. Dot the pancake with the remaining butter. Press down only enough to slightly compact the hash.
    Cook 4-6 minutes, peeking underneath to see that it is browning well. When browned to taste, flip as much of it as you can in as few spatula strokes as possible. Press down slightly, and if it looks a little dry, you may add more butter. Cook until brown and crisp to the desired degree.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/12 04:31:59
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1