Indian Pizza in San Francisco

Author
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
2009/11/10 12:36:21 (permalink)

Indian Pizza in San Francisco

My office is getting ready for the Holidays and we have decided to order out for Pizza,
But this is not your ordinary Pizza, this is INDIAN PIZZA.....I love both Italian and Indian food, but is this forbidden? 

Have any Roadfooders tried Indian Pizza?  Your thoughts, insights etc.

Here is the link to the S.F. place:  http://www.zantespizza.com/about.htm

Maybe the start of a good trend.

5 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:Indian Pizza in San Francisco 2009/11/10 12:43:33 (permalink)
    Interesting,

My "ideal" of an Indian Pizza would be  Saag Paneer (spinach sauce and paneer cheese) on Naan Bread with perhaps Tandoori Chicken or Lamb as a topping.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2442
    Re:Indian Pizza in San Francisco 2009/11/10 12:45:30 (permalink)
    WJ, when I saw this post, I thought your head would explode like that dude in the beginning of "Scanners"! 
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Indian Pizza in San Francisco 2009/11/10 13:04:47 (permalink)
    Wanderingjew, funny that you mention that...this was just posted:
    http://www.seriouseats.co...sage-pizza-recipe.html

A few weeks ago I gave a friend a verbal whupping for calling a concoction he'd made of vegetables and melted cheese atop a piece of naan a pizza. On any given day, this guy is Mr. Italian American, gushing about Sunday "gravy" and salty meat and cheese sandwiches, so I was flabbergasted by his irreverent pizza misnomer.
    "Pizza," though, has already been stretched thin by recipe adaptations. There are saag paneer pizzas, ramen pizzas, Pizzaritos, and French pizzas, to name a few. The intent isn't to oust authentic Italian originals (or Italian-American iterations) but to underscore the infallibility that the culinary basics of a pizza--breadlike bottom and toppings, fired in a hot oven--are genius and almost ubiquitously appreciated. My friend's naan creation is another case and point.

There's more after the link and a recipe.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re:Indian Pizza in San Francisco 2009/11/10 13:24:54 (permalink)
    billyboy

WJ, when I saw this post, I thought your head would explode like that dude in the beginning of "Scanners"! 

Not at all- I'm very familiar with the bbq pizza's in memphis, the pierogi pizza's in Pittsburgh, linguica pizza here in Rhode Island and I believe TJ Jackson mentioned a 5 way chili pizza in cinci, I've heard of Thai Pizza using Peanut Sauce and other ingredients  and I've already suggested to Davydd,  a hot dish pizza for minnesota (with Mushroom gravy and tater tot and meatball toppings) . So why not an Indian Pizza-

Great movie- I saw it when I was a sophomore in High School back in 1980- it starred Patrick McGooghan? yes?

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2442
    Re:Indian Pizza in San Francisco 2009/11/10 13:59:01 (permalink)
    Indeed, "The Prisoner" and the warden from Escape From Alcatraz was in it.  And, lest we forget, that stalwart of B-movies, Michael Ironside, was poppin' heads left and right in that cheese-fest!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1