Indian/Chinese

Author
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
2005/07/27 20:19:10 (permalink)

Indian/Chinese

OK, I've looked through the International section and haven't seen anything on Indian-Chinese food - i.e., food cooked by Chinese immigrants to India. Apparently there are a few of these restaurants in the U.S. - there's even one in the DC area, but I haven't been yet (though I am awaiting a trip with a friend). Does anyone have any experience with this cuisine? Suggestions for good dishes to start with?

11 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/07/27 23:50:05 (permalink)
    So you're looking for a restaurant in the US run by Chinese who first immigrated and aculturated in India BEFORE coming to the US to open a restaurant?

Apparently you know something we don't--so you'll have to tell us about where those places are and what they serve.
    chef marty
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/07/28 01:12:49 (permalink)
    Sangam Restaurant at 1211 North Glebe Road in Arlington, Virginia offers this cuisine along with both Northern and Southern Indian. I love their chili chicken but be careful of the heat level of the peppers. By the way, they catered the lunch hosted by the prime minister of India at The National Press Club last week!
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/07/28 01:42:18 (permalink)
    An excellent cuisine is "Nonya," a mix between Chinese and Malaysia. Not as spicy-hot as some Indian, but some super aromatic spice flavors and great textures. One of my Asian cuisines.

For DC, just use a Google search with the key words. There are a bunch of Malay-Singapore restaurants in the DC area.

Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/07/28 17:16:56 (permalink)
    There's the fairly new Bamboo Garden in Decatur, Ga., in a strip shopping center on the Lawrenceville Hwy. I don't know anything about the cuisine, but what I had was mighty nice.
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/07/31 06:32:07 (permalink)
    Hello all. Here in Harrisonburg, Va. there is an excellent restaurant, "The Indian/American Cafe." It serves the tastiest Indian food. The owners/cooks are from Nepal. They offer spice levels from 1/2 to 4, and 4 is extremely hot. The prices are very reasonable, atmosphere is super (Indian music playing lightly) and the food wonderous. I like their chicken saag. They also offer Kingfisher beer, and Indian beer, which makes American beer taste like water. The hosts are also so gently friendly that you wish you could get to know them better.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/07/31 08:27:57 (permalink)
    Fieldthistle:
    Where exactly is Harrisonburg? Are you in the DC area?
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/08/01 05:06:57 (permalink)
    Tacchino, Harrisonburg is the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. About an hour south of Winchester, Va.and 2 hours I think south west of D.C.. Right on Interstate 81. It's home to James Madison University. I live 5 miles west in a tiny dot called Hinton, able to enjoy the country but close enough to a growing city to be civilized, lol.
    GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/08/04 12:48:39 (permalink)
    I think what dctourist is looking for is information on Hakka-Indian fusion cuisine.

Hakka are ethnic Han tribes, originating in central China, that migrated first to southern China during the Yuan Dynasty, then to India (primarily to Calcutta and Bombay) and other areas of the world. As a result, several sub-sets of Hakka fusion cuisine, such as Hakka-Indian, have evolved.

You can get more information by Googleing "Hakka cuisine + India".

During my trips to Toronto, I've noticed a growing number of Hakka-Indian restaurant in the GTA, such as Kimling, Danforth Dragon, Bombay Chopsticks, Chung Moi, China Cottage, Lin Garden, Lucky Chinese and Wah Sing Seafood. I have yet to try any of these restaurants (too many other Toronto dining choices available). Kimling seems to get the most mention, but they don't have a website.

However, these websites can give a good indication of what you might expect from Hakka-Indian fusion cuisine:

www.danforthdragon.com

www.bombaychopsticks.com

julesleong
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/08/08 00:38:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

An excellent cuisine is "Nonya," a mix between Chinese and Malaysia. Not as spicy-hot as some Indian, but some super aromatic spice flavors and great textures. One of my Asian cuisines.

For DC, just use a Google search with the key words. There are a bunch of Malay-Singapore restaurants in the DC area.

nyonya...yummmyyyyyy.....dun think one can can any in this part of the world (i mean in the us of a), right? not unless it's home cooked, right? there's the 'pongteh' chicken, the otak-otak (literally means brain-brain...actually its a mildly-spiced fish dish), jicama vegetable dish...the list goes on...
    i wonder how receptive are the american towards such flavors
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/08/08 03:57:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Tacchino, Harrisonburg is the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. About an hour south of Winchester, Va.and 2 hours I think south west of D.C.. Right on Interstate 81. It's home to James Madison University. I live 5 miles west in a tiny dot called Hinton, able to enjoy the country but close enough to a growing city to be civilized, lol.

Thanks, Fieldthistle, I can't believe I never heard of it before, as I lived in the DC area for a few years, and knew people who had studied at James Madison..I guess I always thought it was further from the Capital area than it appears as you said.
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Indian/Chinese 2005/08/08 14:18:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tacchino

quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Thanks, Fieldthistle, I can't believe I never heard of it before, as I lived in the DC area for a few years, and knew people who had studied at James Madison..I guess I always thought it was further from the Capital area than it appears as you said.

Yeah, it's not quite handy for dinner from DC, but worth considering if you're hiking in the Shenandoahs or visiting Charlottesville or something. Plenty of good Indian food right around DC...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1