Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN

Author
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
2009/04/26 09:36:22 (permalink)

Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN

Where is the best place to get Indiana Fried Chicken off of I-74 between Cincinnati, OH and Greensburg, IN?

Three suggestions I have found are:

Fireside Inn north of Rossburg

Wagner's Village Inn in Oldenburg

Old Brick Tavern in Sunman

Anyone been to any of them recently?  The online reviews I found were mixed; two mentioned changes of ownership.

23 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/26 19:31:43 (permalink)
    I was at Wagner's last weekend and the chicken is stil AWESOME!

Fireside is not too bad either, I havent been to the old brick in a couple of years, so can't offer an opinion there.

When are you headed through?
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 06:55:09 (permalink)
    CajunKing:

I'm not sure, maybe in time for the September Oktoberfest in Cincinnati (or is it in Covington?).  I  plan to drive west to Storie's in Greensburg one day, and I read in another thread about the Indiana fried chicken.  A few of the recommended locations were more or less along the route (although it's so rural, that Google Maps had trouble with the locations).

deeoh01
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 08:21:36 (permalink)
    You could always drive a little further up I-74 (or a few miles off I-74, to be exact) to the Kopper Kettle in Morristown.  According to Google Maps it's about another 36 miles.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 08:29:24 (permalink)
    MiamiDon, the Kopper Kettle in Morristown is a wonderful restaurant, and, IMO, worthy of a detour. Everything I've eaten there is great, especially the fried chicken. The decor is, for lack of a better word, "genteel"; rather classy, but you can still go in wearing blue jeans. Very friendly and professional service, too. It's on US 52 ( downtown Morristown ) between Indianapolis and Rushville.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 09:02:29 (permalink)
    My wife and I have often stopped for fried chicken when traveling through that area, generally for lunch, at either the Brau Haus in Oldenburg, Wagner's in Oldenburg also, or the Old Brick Tavern in Sunman.  The Old Brick Tavern use to be my favorite but the last few times that we stopped there it had been a big disappointment.  Very greasy chicken and greasy tables to eat it on.  It did seem like they changed ownership (for the worse).  Wagner's is always good, but if you haven't tried the Brau Haus, I would highly suggest it.  The "locals" steered us to it instead of Wagner's one time when we were in town and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  See http://www.oldenburgbrauhaus.com/

We will have to try the Fireside Inn or Kopper Kettle if they are open for lunch.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 09:19:51 (permalink)
    I just looked at   www.kopperkettle.com  and they are closed on Monday, but they're open for lunch and dinner every other day.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 15:46:51 (permalink)
    MiamiDon:

Main Strasse Oktoberfest is  September 11-13, 2009 (Covington, KY across the river)
    Oktoberfest Zinzinnati is September 19-20, 2009 (America's Largest)

Wagners and Brau Haus have good chicken.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 15:50:59 (permalink)
    The Zinzinnati Septemberfest is the one for me, then!  Probably better for me in September, since I've been in the sub-tropics for so long.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 16:23:46 (permalink)
    Does anyone have any knowledge or information about the Fireside Inn north of Rossburg that Miami Don referred to above?  I googled, but could find no information or opinion on it at all.  I see that it is north of Exit 143 which is right down the road (i.e. 6 miles) from the Oldenburg exit, which has 2 great fried chicken places located therein.  This area for some strange reason seems to be one that has some great, great hossier fried chicken that is unique to the region.

The "chickenfest" that is held in London, KY (near the Colonel's Corbin home) in the fall (think Sept) is near a worthless experience IMHO.  They trade heavily on the Colonel's theme, but fry their chicken in a huge container unlike the pressure fried system that the Colonel used.  Not saying that it's bad, it's just massed-produced fried chicken and nothing special at all.
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 17:07:10 (permalink)
    BTB

Does anyone have any knowledge or information about the Fireside Inn north of Rossburg that Miami Don referred to above?  I googled, but could find no information or opinion on it at all.  I see that it is north of Exit 143 which is right down the road (i.e. 6 miles) from the Oldenburg exit, which has 2 great fried chicken places located therein.  This area for some strange reason seems to be one that has some great, great hossier fried chicken that is unique to the region.

The "chickenfest" that is held in London, KY (near the Colonel's Corbin home) in the fall (think Sept) is near a worthless experience IMHO.  They trade heavily on the Colonel's theme, but fry their chicken in a huge container unlike the pressure fried system that the Colonel used.  Not saying that it's bad, it's just massed-produced fried chicken and nothing special at all.

Could it be that it is no longer called the Fireside Inn ? I did a google search for restaurants in Greenwood, Indiana. And I found a Fireside Brewhouse.

Fireside Brewhouse: Contact Us

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 17:54:38 (permalink)
    It is still the Fireside Inn

google it using

Fireside Inn Enochsburg, Indiana

You will pull up the map and the phone

The little crossroads it is located is called Enochsburg, there is the fireside inn and a catholic church. 
    KenK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/04/27 18:41:50 (permalink)
    Ah , yes. Here is the Fireside INN.

fireside inn enochsburg indiana - Google Maps
    rmmk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/08/17 20:17:23 (permalink)
    Any one that wants to go to the Fire Side INN for chicken needs to go before August 28th 2009 they are closing for good we just ate there on the 15th and found out this realy sucks they have been there for many many many years
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/08/17 20:28:35 (permalink)
    This is really sad news. I've wanted to try the fried chicken at the Fireside Inn for some time now; guess I'll have to make a quick roadtrip down to southeastern Indiana next week for my one and only meal there. 
    artmo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2009/12/22 20:40:37 (permalink)
    been to all of the ones mentioned as my wife and i are certified indiana fried chicken junkies. bummer about the fireside-one of our favorites. wagners if fine,just prefer the brau haus in oldenburg. old brick a disappointment since kenny took over. inconsistent. some others of note: klumps in new alsace. a friendly family place . excellent chicken.way off the beaten path near greensburg is a tavern whos name escapes me in milhausen (help me folks!) been a while,but always good in the past.now for our current favorite: the st.leon tavern-formerly pauls. in "downtown"st.leon a mile north of the rt. one exit off I-75.a vibrant place with the best chicken we have found in the s.e. indiana corridor. been there for years. a terrific family place,with a good bar also. a "must try" in my opinion. hope this helps. 
    rmmk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2010/01/03 16:12:53 (permalink)
    GREAT NEWS!!!!! Fireside Inn BACK OPEN under NEW ownership now open Jan 2010
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5025
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/02/20 15:40:28 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

I  plan to drive west to Storie's in Greensburg one day, and I read in another thread about the Indiana fried chicken.

Don, did you ever make it to Storie's?  If so, what did you think?  It's popped up on my radar for a trip I'm taking later this year and would be a good place for an early lunch.

Brad
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/02/20 17:28:44 (permalink)
    Brad,

It is well worth the trip to stories and to see the famous "Tower tree" Decatur county has a tree growing out of bell tower it is a sight to see and right acros from Stories.

I am a litttle over an hour from there let me know if i can help you find some great food in this area or if you want to meet up.

Donald
    CajunKing
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/02/20 17:35:50 (permalink)
    Enochsburg Chicken - "Fireside Inn" 
    Still makes my short lists of top chicken.

Kopper Kettle is right up there too and not too far from 74 (shelbyville exit before you get to the g'burg exit)

Here is enochsburg FB page winter hours are in effect so 5pm to 10pm tues-sat
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fireside-Inn-Enochsburg/237529667427#!/pages/Fireside-Inn-Enochsburg/237529667427?sk=info

Not to add to the confusion of South Eastern Indiana fried Chicken..... BUT

http://canoefest.etczone.com/chicken/chickenTrail01.html

Here are 40 places in SE Indiana (all close to I-74) that serve decent to excellent chicken.

CajunKing approved:  #'s 5, 9, 10, 13, 14, 19, 20, 22, 35

CajunKing Avoids:  #'s 24, 31
    post edited by CajunKing - 2012/02/20 17:40:18
    Bob45
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/02/21 06:51:24 (permalink)
    Surprised no one has mentioed the Hearthstone on US 52 in Metamora. Some of the best Ive ever had. Not far from Oldenburg, where Wagners is also really good. If you could be in the area for the Canoefest, they have a frying contest and you could sample some great chicken. There are so many places around here its hard to choose.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/02/21 10:46:42 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Brad,

It is well worth the trip to stories and to see the famous "Tower tree" Decatur county has a tree growing out of bell tower it is a sight to see and right acros from Stories.

I am a litttle over an hour from there let me know if i can help you find some great food in this area or if you want to meet up.

Donald
    CajunKing

Thanks, Donald.  The trip's not for another 6 months (end of August) so nothing's set in stone, but I've already contacted my possible traveling companions from Indy and Muncie and told them I'd like to make Storie's our lunch stop and cross into Ohio at Cincinnati instead of Richmond.

Brad
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/08/28 09:19:44 (permalink)
    CajunKing

I was at Wagner's last weekend and the chicken is stil AWESOME!
    Even though Donald posted this over 6 years ago I have to concur...I ate there last Thursday and the chicken was excellent!  According to my dining companion Carolina Bob the chicken is pan-fried in lard, and the coating is light and peppery.

It's not a big place but at 2pm there was plenty of room.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Indiana Fried Chicken bet. Cincy and Greensburg, IN 2012/09/09 09:58:31 (permalink)
    Screaming Chicken:  I missed your query until now.  I never made the trip, and so have nothing to report! 

I still have family in Cincinnati, I just don't know when I'll schedule the journey.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1