Helpful ReplyHot!Indiana - The Best State?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 540
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/22 12:49:05 (permalink)
Al, now I have to ask, so I get it right -- how is "KENTUCIANA" pronounced -- hard K like in Kentucky-ana, or soft 'sh' sound like in Kentushiana?  I imagine the former. 

Either way, it is a beautiful area, and I'm glad we went through it.  It, like Kentucky and Tennessee, are beautiful, and remind me of the driftless area where we live.  In fact, the 'smoky' part of the Great Smokies looks a lot like what we see in our own high river bluffs on many days.

And I haven't spent a lot of time in Indiana, but what I have seen reminds me that the Indiana spirit evoked long ago by Booth Tarkington is still alive today.

Real people -- not flyover stereotypes!

Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/22 17:51:49 (permalink)
Easydoesit , hopefully Al is wrist deep in chicken right now , it is Kentucky-ana. Indiana is the best state I have lived in. Take care and visit us again! , " THE BOAT " loves to take peoples money.
Karl
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/22 21:15:17 (permalink)
It is indeed KENTUCKY-ANNA,  and the Chamber of Commerce Tourist Bureau on the Indiana side of the River refers to this as the " SUNNY SIDE OF LOUISVILLE".

Yeah, It is a lot of marketing 'Hype', but the area does have a 'charm' of it's own. Well worth a detailed looksee when visiting.

Karl, Tonight we introduced Lisa and MH to MUTTON BBQ at the Moonlite BBQ down in Owensboro, KY. Got home just as the thunderstorms hit. Tomorrow will be Hubers for Fried Chicken and Chicken Livers, and Graeters Ice Cream, before sending our visitors home with some wild Boar and Bison samples from our freezer.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/22 21:34:48 (permalink)
I knew I should of have re-read from the first post , I was in a hurry to go get my pint of Blueberry Pie. Looking forward to some pictures of the weekend festivities. I tried Brandy for the first time at Hubers , my first sip was more of a gulp , I learn from my mistakes pretty quickly.
  Y'all have fun and stay cool this weekend.
Karl
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/24 11:59:17 (permalink)
I am SO envious of the Huber's trip.  Fried chicken, fried chicken livers, fried biscuits.  Yum!  I do recall, however, from my one visit, that the livers portion is both delicious and gargantuan and, sadly, the leftover livers don't travel well. So  eat them up while they're hot, on site.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/24 22:19:39 (permalink)
I always thought Kentuckiana referred to the greater Louisville metro area and didn't extend to most of the rest of southern Indiana.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/24 23:20:54 (permalink)
Davydd- Yes and no... I think of it as the area that depends on Louisville TV stations for their News coverage that fll under the 'Kentucianna' label, Evansville has it's own market area, as does Owensboro and Bowling Green. 
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1739
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/25 21:43:08 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
In the 1950s I remember hitchhiking back to my base in Texas from Connecticut and getting picked up by three guys in the Army who were on their way to Oklahoma (Fort Sill, I think). When we reached Indianapolis around 10 at night we stopped to get something to eat. The first restaurant we went into refused to serve us if one of the three was with us. He was black. We left and went to another place nearby. Same thing. In all, we went to five different places and they all refused to serve anyone who was black. We ended up at a White Castle. It was my first experience with that sort of behavior and I've never forgotten it. I've never forgotten the fact that it wasn't like that at White Castle, either.

That story alone would make me go back to brave a 1/2 dozen of those sliders!  None around here....and we do tend to serve Service ppl regardless of which branch they serve in
FriedClamFanatic
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/25 21:43:09 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
In the 1950s I remember hitchhiking back to my base in Texas from Connecticut and getting picked up by three guys in the Army who were on their way to Oklahoma (Fort Sill, I think). When we reached Indianapolis around 10 at night we stopped to get something to eat. The first restaurant we went into refused to serve us if one of the three was with us. He was black. We left and went to another place nearby. Same thing. In all, we went to five different places and they all refused to serve anyone who was black. We ended up at a White Castle. It was my first experience with that sort of behavior and I've never forgotten it. I've never forgotten the fact that it wasn't like that at White Castle, either.

That story alone would make me go back to brave a 1/2 dozen of those sliders!  None around here....and we do tend to serve Service ppl regardless of which branch they serve in
FriedClamFanatic
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/25 21:48:16 (permalink)
easydoesit
rumaki
The Klan was very big in Indiana in the 1920s (as I recall from my Indiana History class many years ago).  I would like to think the regalia you saw was primarily of historical interest, but you never know.

I did know a little about Indiana and the Klan, from prior reading, and yes, they were big there.  The surprising thing to us was the way he was willing to make it clear from the beginning just where he stood.  I wondered afterward if it wasn't his way of separating the wheat from the chaff (HIS wheat and chaff), so to speak -- like if you don't like what I say, get the he-- out. 

I don't know, that's just my speculation, but I should make it clear what he said.  Here's a paraphrase, but close.  I said something just to start a conversation, like, "Hey, Fox News -- we watch them too."  He said, "I watch them all the time.  And I didn't vote for that (n-word) either."

So that was what took us aback so much, the speed and vigor of his remark.  Other than that, it was an experience that I think anyone would like on entering a new store.

As we walked up the sidewalk, there was a nice lady tending the flowers she had planted, which we complimented.  The owners lived in the back, with the door open from the shop to their quarters. After we talked for a while, the guy called out, "Mother -- bring (forget the dog's name) out here to meet this lady."  And Mother brought out this cute little poochie, who hit it right off with my wife.

The store, the area, the pooch, "Mother" -- it was all kind of homespun, like the Waltons, except for the undercurrent of his remark.

Makes me think of the "banality of evil" that we consider with the Nazis, but I hate to label those people in any way -- had the conversation gone a little different, we might never have discussed politics at all, and still had a good time.

I just hope when you go into a Starbucks or whatever and some pierced Barista starts spouting off how Bush is an EffingAsshole and cheney a War monger you give him the same

My political views on both are neutral......it's just I do hate to see folks jump all over one side or the other without some serious reflection...whether it be this guy or Al sharpton
post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2014/08/25 21:50:58
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/26 09:16:37 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic --

You hope I give him the same what?  Consideration?  Have you divined my politics from the things I said?  (You'll be wrong, and if you want, I can prove it easily).

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/27 01:53:19 (permalink)
Lets talk about ketchup. That should be safe.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/27 02:57:48 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Lets talk about ketchup. That should be safe.

You mean catsup?

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/27 03:59:37 (permalink)
However we spell it, you guys are still topical, because the best red stuff around comes from Indiana.  And we are two die-hard Heinz fans for over forty years, but Red Gold does leave them in the dust.

And it's extra good on a hot dog!

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/08/27 10:53:22 (permalink)
mayor al
Davydd- Yes and no... I think of it as the area that depends on Louisville TV stations for their News coverage that fll under the 'Kentucianna' label, Evansville has it's own market area, as does Owensboro and Bowling Green. 

That's what I meant. Your media coverage is Kentucky centered but Kentuckiana only means greater Louisville, and of course is promoted by Kentuckians, not Hoosiers. If your over the air TV reception is Louisville, then you are caught up in it. When I was growing up there was a great deal of rivalry especially in basketball at the high school and college level. No native Hoosier would have considered themselves Kentuckianans.

BTW, my grandfather migrated from the Fort Knox area of Kentucky to Indianapolis around 1909. My ancestral surname cemetery is now inside Fort Knox and accessible only on Memorial Day. My great great grandfather's 1834 built log cabin was recently moved to Saunders Springs Nature Center in Radcliff. My ancestors first moved to Kentucky shortly after 1778.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re: Indiana - The Best State? 2014/09/05 14:17:37 (permalink)
Indy is great because they host Drum Corps International (DCI) and Bands of America nationals.

the only other thing I've heard about Indiana is some small Irish catholic school that used to have a decent football team...and apparently a small school won the state basketball championship in the 1950s.

So, I can only assume that marching music is the big draw.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1